Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Are you pleased with Jolley’s appointment?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Are you pleased with Jolley’s appointment?

This thread currently has 15,434 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
March 3, 2018, 9:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Can we let you know in 4 weeks?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 84
oldun
March 3, 2018, 10:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
If we manage to stay up then I think we could be in for interesting times led by someone with no previous connection with the club and no baggage. A fresh start and a clean slate. MJ is clearly an astute person and has ambition. He is smarter than most people we have had associated with the club for a long time. For everyone's sake I really hope the fans and the board supprt him and that he brings success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 84
arryarryarry
March 3, 2018, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Can't say I am dancing a jig like some, I had never heard of the guy before a few days ago.

Seems a refreshing choice as opposed to those on the managerial merry go round and we can all hope that he is the one that will turn this club around but considering the crap that Slade left us with I still worry for our EFL status.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 84
horsforthmariner
March 3, 2018, 2:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from davmariner
Like this post if you are happy with Jolley’s appointment, cross if you aren’t. Whilst there seems to have been a positive reaction it would be interesting to see if that’s representative of the board as a whole. Personally, I think it’s a sensible appointment.

And this is how you rig post of the week!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 84
devs
March 3, 2018, 2:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Virtually no one had heard of Arsene Wenger when he came to Arsenal

Just saying....

Delighted at this appt - it's a gamble but isn't every appt?

Cowleys at Lincoln - turned out brilliantly for them but could easily have gone belly up

I'm just pleased it's not Sol Campbell - never was going to be IMO - and/or one off the merry go round

This guy is 40, ambitious, has great coaching skills, and is obviously keen to put his mark on the game in England

Reading about his philosophy he favours a 4 3 3 high pressing game, high tempo and an 'exciting' brand of footy

On that basis we will have a few surprises next Saturday in the starting XI

Although he will have is work cut out with this squad

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 84
davmariner
March 3, 2018, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Happy to not be included in post of the week! Thought it was easier to do it like this than set up a poll on my phone. Interesting so far that nearly one in four are unhappy with the appointment.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 84
BottesfordMariner
March 3, 2018, 2:11pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Of course there are no guarantees in football. I seem to recall Bignot's appointment was generally liked. Slade's wasn't met with universal disdain.

Jolley is an interesting character. Not your 'normal' manager. No playing career of note (Barnsley Youth was as good as it got). Then was out of the game altogether for a decade. Has been coaching for a while now. Has a reputation I guess as a 'thinker' and tactician. I think it's a bold move by Town. A departure from the tired old merry go round of failed managers we (and most clubs) usually do. And maybe that is no bad thing.

Time will tell. My only concern is that he doesnt have a lot of managerial experience. A couple of years coaching Burnley U23's and a short (but relatively successful spell) in Sweden's top division. My point being he has no track record of sustained success in the professional game.

He is clearly intelligent and has ideas. If he can get his ideas across to our players it could be an inspired choice. His first job will be to pick up a group of players clearly lacking confidence. He has initially has 11 games to pick up the required 10-14 points to survive. Thats the priority so he will have to act quickly.

Its a time for us all to rally behind him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 84
lee65
March 3, 2018, 2:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
[quote=3699]Virtually no one had heard of Arsene Wenger when he came to Arsenal

Just saying....

Delighted at this appt - it's a gamble but isn't every appt?

Cowleys at Lincoln - turned out brilliantly for them but could easily have gone belly up

I'm just pleased it's not Sol Campbell - never was going to be IMO - and/or one off the merry go round

This guy is 40, ambitious, has great coaching skills, and is obviously keen to put his mark on the game in England

Reading about his philosophy he favours a 4 3 3 high pressing game, high tempo and an 'exciting' brand of footy

On that basis we will have a few surprises next Saturday in the starting XI

Although he will have is work cut out with this squad

I was thinking that Devs, who in our squad is mobile enough to play a "high pressing game"?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 84
Chrisblor
March 3, 2018, 2:21pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
I'm happy with his appointment but still I've red crossed your post because you've ignored the integrated poll function in a blatantly transparent attempt to hoover up approval points.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 84
arryarryarry
March 3, 2018, 2:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from devs

Virtually no one had heard of Arsene Wenger when he came to Arsenal

Probably because he was French.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Are you pleased with Jolley’s appointment?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.