11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerDevil
February 25, 2018, 6:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
It's amazing that people now criticise the breaking up of the promotion squad, when almost everyone was in agreement that it needed significant improvements after it had limped over the line.  Hurst knew this more than anyone and set about laying the foundations for a pretty good L2 side, which contained Summerfield and Berrett as central figures, don't forget.  

There's no point in debating Bignot's reign again, but I've always maintained that he wasn't as useless as some make him out to be and I'd much rather we'd kept him than replace him with Slade.  It's not just the manager who decides how much money players are paid - if the board were concerned about the budget they should have made that clear when identifying targets during that January window.  

It's amazing that Fenty is suddenly keen on a young manager after he'd given up on that philosophy so easily last season.  It's too late to start fantasising about philosophy and a long-term vision now anyway, we've got too many fires to put out.  Only God knows what we should do next.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 25, 2018, 7:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Excellent points MD a young Manager will make mistakes & fans and a Board need to be aware of that and be prepared to accept this situation for what it is.

At least Bignot committed to the players he wanted and got the club to financially back his opinion we will never know if he would have succeeded but you cannot 12 months later then profess to want exactly what we had!!!

My memory is not great but did Bignot select “bizarre” teams before we reached is allegedly agreed target number of points? At least we won big games away scoring 3 goals at teams like Carlisle, Blackpool and Plymouth under his reign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 102
HertsGTFC
February 25, 2018, 8:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

You always comment a big thing of how crap Bignot was, not so sure you were of that opinion until he was sacked but can’t be bothered to check, but in reality he had better players and results then Slade and if we had kept a few of his signings like Osbourne Jones and Clements we would not be in this mess.

You are also the leading critic of Gunning who seems appreciated at both Port Vale & Forest Green because he actually does a good job.

If Bignot had stayed we would not be in this position and Berrett would be long gone so a double win. At the end of the day Hurst signed the Berrett & Summerfield in the first place so he is certainly culpable and whilst Summerfield has looked good this year I believe this is mainly due to the fact at how poor the rest of the players are.

I'll save you looking back I was pleased to see Bignot go for numerous reasons, one of many being that he treated good professional footballers like Josh Gpwling like excrement making him train with the kids when he should have utilized his experience even if he wasn't in the squad.  

If Bognot had stayed you can't say what position we would have been in but he took over a well drilled, organised side with excellent unity and team spirit  in a play off position and started on a program of revolution when evolution would have done.

Whether or not Berret would have been here I don't know either but as Marcus was good at signing payers and not moving them on I'd not be comfortable calling that one. Take a look at what he's done at Chester it's not only GTFC where history appears to repeat itself.

Re Gunning he can't have been that appreciated at Port Vale as they moved him on to FGR!!!

As for being a better option than Slade? I think that they where both poor appointments, yes we scored 3 at Plymouth, Carlisle and Blackpool but we also scores 3 at Chesterfield and Cheltenham so I'm not sure that means a lot.

Hurst signed Summerfield and Berret one has applied himself this season the other is a liability he also signed Amond, Tait, Andrew, Nolan, Pearson, Arnold, Toto, Bogle etc.. who we would all have back in a heartbeat.      

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 25, 2018, 9:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
It appears that all managers treat players they do not want like excrement as recently witnessed with Slade’s treatment of Asante & Clements and reading between the lines how Wlilco is treating McAllister. All of these if correct are wrong as all players, unless for disciplinary reasons, should be treated with respect.

Thought you might quote Chesterfield & Cheltenham and both were good wins but not sgausides then top of the league, in a promotion place or pushing for the play offs. Bignot realised that neither Berrett or Summerfield were good enough and the way this season is going he was right. Was it revolution or experimental? Who knows but he was learning his craft and no doubt made some big mistakes, apparently though fully backed by JF who within 2 months then sacked him and allegedly then tells Slade to reduce the wage bill.

All history now but there are a number of us who would have preferred the “roller coaster” existence to what we have endured since, too many fans spout about patience and demonstrate the opposite after two or three crap performances, it just is not like that and maybe a rough journey may get us to the promised land which at present is limited to league 2 survival
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 102
HertsGTFC
February 25, 2018, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
It appears that all managers treat players they do not want like excrement as recently witnessed with Slade’s treatment of Asante & Clements and reading between the lines how Wlilco is treating McAllister. All of these if correct are wrong as all players, unless for disciplinary reasons, should be treated with respect.

Thought you might quote Chesterfield & Cheltenham and both were good wins but not sgausides then top of the league, in a promotion place or pushing for the play offs. Bignot realised that neither Berrett or Summerfield were good enough and the way this season is going he was right. Was it revolution or experimental? Who knows but he was learning his craft and no doubt made some big mistakes, apparently though fully backed by JF who within 2 months then sacked him and allegedly then tells Slade to reduce the wage bill.

All history now but there are a number of us who would have preferred the “roller coaster” existence to what we have endured since, too many fans spout about patience and demonstrate the opposite after two or three crap performances, it just is not like that and maybe a rough journey may get us to the promised land which at present is limited to league 2 survival

Good post, it could be argued we where on a bit of a roller coaster up up until after the Notts County game, after that for some reason things just went South badly. We'll never know but all that matters now is getting the points we need to finish 22nd or above.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 102
rancido
February 26, 2018, 3:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from LH
He might have been a bt unprofessional behind the scenes and pick some crazy formations but Bignot knew a player when he saw one. You’ve got to ask whether you want one decent player on a good wedge or two shite ones for the same price really....

Like Woolford and Kelly. There are two wages we never should be paying. If the average League 2 wage is £1200 a week ( which I saw printed in a national paper ) then those two players represent a possible £125,000 wasted which could have been used as an inducement to keep better players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 102
forza ivano
February 26, 2018, 3:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,196
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

Like Woolford and Kelly. There are two wages we never should be paying. If the average League 2 wage is £1200 a week ( which I saw printed in a national paper ) then those two players represent a possible £125,000 wasted which could have been used as an inducement to keep better players.

someone told me that Useless Dixon is paid £2000 - £2500 per week. shoorly shum mishtake?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 102
rancido
February 26, 2018, 3:39pm

Special Brew Drinker

...and he then increases it again with dross unnecessary signings.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 102
rancido
February 26, 2018, 3:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

someone told me that Useless Dixon is paid £2000 - £2500 per week. shoorly shum mishtake?

Shoorly not another Fishy poster who reads Private Eye!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 102
Madeleymariner
February 26, 2018, 4:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
[quote=120845]

I'll save you looking back I was pleased to see Bignot go for numerous reasons, one of many being that he treated good professional footballers like Josh Gpwling like excrement making him train with the kids when he should have utilized his experience even if he wasn't in the squad.  

If Bognot had stayed you can't say what position we would have been in but he took over a well drilled, organised side with excellent unity and team spirit  in a play off position and started on a program of revolution when evolution would have done.

Whether or not Berret would have been here I don't know either but as Marcus was good at signing payers and not moving them on I'd not be comfortable calling that one. Take a look at what he's done at Chester it's not only GTFC where history appears to repeat itself.

Re Gunning he can't have been that appreciated at Port Vale as they moved him on to FGR!!!
[color=red][/color]

As for being a better option than Slade? I think that they where both poor appointments, yes we scored 3 at Plymouth, Carlisle and Blackpool but we also scores 3 at Chesterfield and Cheltenham so I'm not sure that means a lot.

Hurst signed Summerfield and Berret one has applied himself this season the other is a liability he also signed Amond, Tait, Andrew, Nolan, Pearson, Arnold, Toto, Bogle etc.. who we would all have back in a heartbeat.      

Gunning wasn't moved on. He would be out of contract in Jan and was offered an 18 month contract by Port Fale in December, he turned them down for a bigger wedge offered by Village Green. Was a favourite of many fans at Vale and they were v disappointed he left
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just  Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.