Lincoln Mariner 56
February 25, 2018, 12:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He brought in better players but where they better professionals? He disengaged popular senior pros which had a negative impact on the group, he failed to reduce the wage bill, he added a head of recruitment who just seemed to set out the cones, he hung players out to dry in the media, he dropped the better players for the bigger games, he signed Gavin Gunning and told us how great he was and he set the team up with some crazy
tactics and formations. Additionally if reports are to be believed his buys where on silly money and an even sillier bonus structure.

Apart from that he did o.k. in his 6 months.

Whatever his faults he was the only Manager who immediately identified that a midfield of Summerfield and Berrett was not good enough and did something about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 102
HertsGTFC
February 25, 2018, 12:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Vance Warner

If the board were stupid enough to arrange those contracts then there's only one person to blame and it's not Bignot. There's no way we would be in a worse position now with him in charge.

I guess we'll never know. To be fair unless it's a stupid contract boards tend to pay what managers feel is right.

So for example  ..... if MB goes to JF and tells him "this lad Asante I've worked with him for a couple of seasons he's ace, many people including myself Micky and the cone layer think he's better than Bogle who we've just had a 1 million offer for, we need to sign him as Bogle will go/has gone and we'll need to replace his goals. He is moving up from the midlands he wants a big salary and a bonus but he is really good. It's within the budget just as long as I keep to my word and move some players out. He's better than what we have trust me John".

What does JF do turn round and say "sorry Marcus I know more about football than you so we're not paying it". Maybe maybe not but what we understand happened was that the club where happy to pay better deals for better players on the proviso MB moved some other out and balanced the wage bill, he failed to do this and that along with other stuff cost him his job.        

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 102
HertsGTFC
February 25, 2018, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Whatever his faults he was the only Manager who immediately identified that a midfield of Summerfield and Berrett was not good enough and did something about it.

Really? So that's why Hurst was regularly using Comley, Chambers, Vose and Berret in numerous games before he left. Check out the line up for Luton away when we won and controlled the game from start to finish.  

Selective memory of your painting a picture that it was all Summers and Berret before Bignot arrived.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 102
Grantley
February 25, 2018, 1:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I guess we'll never know. To be fair unless it's a stupid contract boards tend to pay what managers feel is right.

So for example  ..... if MB goes to JF and tells him "this lad Asante I've worked with him for a couple of seasons he's ace, many people including myself Micky and the cone layer think he's better than Bogle who we've just had a 1 million offer for, we need to sign him as Bogle will go/has gone and we'll need to replace his goals. He is moving up from the midlands he wants a big salary and a bonus but he is really good. It's within the budget just as long as I keep to my word and move some players out. He's better than what we have trust me John".

What does JF do turn round and say "sorry Marcus I know more about football than you so we're not paying it". Maybe maybe not but what we understand happened was that the club where happy to pay better deals for better players on the proviso MB moved some other out and balanced the wage bill, he failed to do this and that along with other stuff cost him his job.        

If Gary Whild was just a ‘cone layer’, was Steve Croudson just a kit man?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 102
Maringer
February 25, 2018, 2:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,556
Gold Stars: 185
I don't think you can categorically state we would have been better off under Bignot now. It was utterly chaotic and, frankly, we fluked one or two results which made his tenure look better than it was.

This doesn't abrogate Slade's poor performance in charge though I wonder how much of his remit was to get rid of the big salaries which were apparently handed out willy-nilly under Bignot. He certainly got rid of those players by hook or by crook but his own signings have proven very poor indeed.

Personally, I reckon we'd have at least half a dozen more points had, say, Clements been a regular starter this season given his good form for us last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 102
marinerrick
February 25, 2018, 3:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I generally thought it looked slightly better but I have a question that confused me. At an attacking corner why oh why do we insist on leaving 4 players outside the box. This then leaves 4 players plus goal keeper plus one player taking the corner not in an attacking area. This then makes it less than a 50/50 play. Surely even if we made it 8 vs 11 we may have a chance of a penalty or God forbid a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 102
Maringer
February 25, 2018, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,556
Gold Stars: 185
What I can never understand is why, at set pieces you never have somebody running in behind across the other side, just in case the ball misses everyone or is cleared out wide. So often, the ball ends up running out of play when a player running up the far side would be able to pick it up and put it straight back in the box. I know you're 'wasting' a player if the ball doesn't go across the goal, but I think it worthwhile as often as not.

But then, what do I know? I'd always have a player stood right at the edge of the box both attacking and defending corners to pick up half-clearances either way and nobody seems to do that either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 102
Davec
February 25, 2018, 4:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Well I thought the performance was better than recent weeks and we showed more attacking intent so it's clear Wilkinson prefers a more attacking set up but regardless we have a very poor squad, I would like a new manager in for the Carlisle game however, I know the squad is excrement but hopefully a new manager can have the "new manager effect" and pick up a few fluke wins, that should see us safe, otherwise we will go down unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 102
Ipswin
February 25, 2018, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
The rot started before Bignot and Slade. In fact it began also immediately after that fantastic Wenbley day

More could have been done to keep the nucleus of the promotion winning side together if only more money had been invested

I don't dispute that it needed strengthening to cope with Div 4 but better cash offers could and should have been made to keep Amond Toto and Arnold at the club. Money talks and if sufficient had been dangled in front of them they would have stayed.

Nolan should have been made a tasty enough offer to get him to sign permanently. Pearson, Tait, Clay and East should have been retained together with Disley and Bogle to form the basis with the others mentioned of a decent side (certainly one which would stuff the current team)

An opportunity missed which less than two years later is biting us badly

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 102
Davec
February 25, 2018, 4:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Ipswin
The rot started before Bignot and Slade. In fact it began also immediately after that fantastic Wenbley day

More could have been done to keep the nucleus of the promotion winning side together if only more money had been invested

I don't dispute that it needed strengthening to cope with Div 4 but better cash offers could and should have been made to keep Amond Toto and Arnold at the club. Money talks and if sufficient had been dangled in front of them they would have stayed.

Nolan should have been made a tasty enough offer to get him to sign permanently. Pearson, Tait, Clay and East should have been retained together with Disley and Bogle to form the basis with the others mentioned of a decent side (certainly one which would stuff the current team)

An opportunity missed which less than two years later is biting us badly

Oh the same Danny East who is foundering about in non league? I thought he was gash.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just  Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.