Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 404 Guests

Who do we appoint next ?

This thread currently has 24,153 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
H19P1
February 11, 2018, 5:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Would the trust have any influence with instigating an independent approach to recruiting? I.e use Buckley to interview and appoint as an example
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 148
pen penfras
February 11, 2018, 5:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
I really hope we don't appoint somebody like Phil Brown or Stuart McCall. They look great on paper, but have spent their entire career at a level higher than this and will mostly know of players above this level. We aren't going to break the bank to sign players, so getting the good players to come to this level (and location) is nigh on impossible. We'd end up signing players on the way down that has been so unsuccessful before.

Much rather sign an up and coming manager from the level below us who knows the better players to bring here with hunger and desire to move upwards. Buckley, Slade mk1 and Hurst were all this approach and have been our most successful managers for the last 30 years. Bignot didn't turn out too well, but I think it was the right idea given everything that was reported about him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 148
Ipswin
February 11, 2018, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from H19P1
Would the trust have any influence with instigating an independent approach to recruiting? I.e use Buckley to interview and appoint as an example

Nooooooooooooooooo please Not Buckley rather ask Slade to nominate someone or God forbid leave it to 'Shut Up'

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 148
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2018, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from pen penfras
I really hope we don't appoint somebody like Phil Brown or Stuart McCall. They look great on paper, but have spent their entire career at a level higher than this and will mostly know of players above this level. We aren't going to break the bank to sign players, so getting the good players to come to this level (and location) is nigh on impossible. We'd end up signing players on the way down that has been so unsuccessful before.

Much rather sign an up and coming manager from the level below us who knows the better players to bring here with hunger and desire to move upwards. Buckley, Slade mk1 and Hurst were all this approach and have been our most successful managers for the last 30 years. Bignot didn't turn out too well, but I think it was the right idea given everything that was reported about him.

Well, you can tell the inner sanctum that a manager who knows how to get the best out of low budget players is essential. Whether that's Brown, McCall or whoever, you decide. Whatever the board do, if it looks cheap it will probably cost the club in the long run. The club have got 13 games to preserve league status - failure to do so will be very expensive.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 148
Abdul19
February 11, 2018, 5:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
As Aaron pointed out earlier, Brown won the League 2 playoffs with Southend 3 seasons ago.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 148
mariner91
February 11, 2018, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
The Boston manager for me. Somebody on the way UP mad has been very, very successful in his career. When he took over at Boston they were in the relegation zone if I remember rightly and oversaw 6 wins in his first 7 games. They are now. Looking at a playoff spot.

He lost three of his first four games...Didn't win any of them. However, the turnaround has been remarkable. Huge jump from Shaw Lane to L2 in four months though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 148
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 5:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

Not often i nod in approval at your posts pp, but i wholeheartedly agree. I know it sounds cut throat, but we need to poach a manager that some other team wants to hang onto, same with players. Fed up of us going for people others discard. Up and coming is the way, as has been proved in the past. The better managers and players over the years at this club have mostly come from below.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 148
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2018, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Better managers attract better players. A cheap appointment will not help the club in the long term.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 148
TAGG
February 11, 2018, 5:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from promotion plaice

Big decision !

OS.....A competitive recruitment process will now take place until a suitable replacement is found. This is one of the most important appointments in the long history of the club and cannot be rushed, but it is important that we move swiftly with a new leader to turn around the current form.

Like I've pointed out on another thread is it
"cannot be rushed' or
'important that we move swiftly'
Very contradictory and confusing.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 148
Bradford Mariner
February 11, 2018, 5:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
This is not about plucking names out of the air, it's about selecting someone with strong proven ability on the training ground, someone with a track record of getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.