Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 350 Guests

Who do we appoint next ?

This thread currently has 24,149 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
February 11, 2018, 6:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

Thats the sort of man I was on about.

A part time kids coach? Really?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 148
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2018, 6:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pen penfras
I really hope we don't appoint somebody like Phil Brown or Stuart McCall. They look great on paper, but have spent their entire career at a level higher than this and will mostly know of players above this level. We aren't going to break the bank to sign players, so getting the good players to come to this level (and location) is nigh on impossible. We'd end up signing players on the way down that has been so unsuccessful before.

Much rather sign an up and coming manager from the level below us who knows the better players to bring here with hunger and desire to move upwards. Buckley, Slade mk1 and Hurst were all this approach and have been our most successful managers for the last 30 years. Bignot didn't turn out too well, but I think it was the right idea given everything that was reported about him.

Brown got Southend promoted out of League 2 and McCall did a decent job at Motherwell which is a comparative level to Town,

That said I would like to see someone come in who is technically well qualified, modest but engaging and hungry to prove themselves in a league managers job for the first time.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 148
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 6:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
May sound obvious but we will have to see who applies. We can say who we want, but if they don't apply, then it matters not. Managers are like players; they want to manage as high as they can and will lower their sights as time goes on. McCall and Brown for instance are only recently out of work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 148
petethemariner
February 11, 2018, 6:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
How about  Mark Warburton? Did a great job at Brentford, getting them to the championship and an equally good
job at Rangers getting them back into the Scottish Premiership. He might be out of our price range, but that is the sort of calibre we need,because we HAVE to get this one right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 148
sonofmadeleymariner
February 11, 2018, 6:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Cloudy

A part time kids coach? Really?

No its more about someone who is well thought of in the industry with a good coaching record who has or is coaching at a high level even if it is Tottenhams under 23s, someone who wants to be a manager but needs the chance instead of the manager merry go round. So what if he's coaching the kids team, just because they're splitting time between the class room and the football pitch foesn't mean they are part time, they'll still be out reviewing tape, studying formation and training methods, scouting lower league teams for the next star in the academy and most likely helping out in 1st team as well.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 148
Cambs Mariner
February 11, 2018, 6:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Good luck to Paul for the rest of the season. I hope you can get us out of the mess you have been left.
I would hazard a guess and say that if we have a decent run of form, from now until the end season and start to play some decent football then Paul will be in the running.
If the club want to find someone else then a lot of the names bandied about will wait to see what position we are in, in 3 or 4 games time. I can't imagine somebody like Phil Brown or Stuart McCall would want to manage a non league club.
Personally I would like to see an up and coming manager and you never know Paul Wilkinson could show us he has that potential.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 148
Ipswin
February 11, 2018, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I'm concerned even the likes of Klopp, Mourinho or Guardiola would struggle to get season saving results out of the current crowd.

Whatever you do Wiko, and I know for some reason you rated him, but please please don't pick Kelly next Saturday

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 148
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 11, 2018, 6:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 148
Mrs Doyle
February 11, 2018, 6:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
If Wilco sorts this shat out and keeps us up he deserves a crack at it next season.

He and the players will get my 100% support we can't buy players to help him but by feck we can make those lads fight to stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 148
monkeyboy
February 11, 2018, 6:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Sol campbel lol no ta. pleaseplease do not appy steve macclaren.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.