Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 267 Guests

Who do we appoint next ?

This thread currently has 24,134 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
February 12, 2018, 10:28am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,541
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Oh aye!
[tweet]962981827471380480[/tweet]

Interesting.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 148
Tommy
February 12, 2018, 10:35am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Re: Phil Brown

There's an interesting (if maybe biased) thread of tweets from @ScottWallace_ going through Phil Brown's 5 years at Southend.

Hardly glowing references to say he was there for 5 years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottWallace_/status/953674460866990080?p=v

This the initial tweet, then read all the following tweets below it from the same poster.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 148
RichMariner
February 12, 2018, 10:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
The fact that he signed Nile Ranger and recently assembled the oldest squad in League 1 rings alarm bells with me.

Mind you, if he likes an older player then there's a reason why he'd be attracted to GTFC at the moment!

I appreciate his pedigree - and I appreciate that whole thread of tweets was biased - but I really don't think he's the answer to our problems.

Seems a colourful character (not just referring to his tan) and after the board's recent experience with Marcus Bignot (and formerly Mike Newell, who was also a loose cannon) I don't think it'd work.

The board would want to work with a more 'amenable' person - maybe someone they feel they can 'control' (rightly or wrongly).

I get the impression Robbie Stockdale is a very focused and sensible professional who would value a player's character as much as their ability, simply because that's a big part of managing young players.

Hurst proved that being a good person in a settled team is worth a lot when building squads.

I don't see us becoming any more settled under Brown. We need new ideas, and while this might not be the time to gamble on an untried manager, I think giving the job to Brown now when there'll be better options out there in the summer will be a mistake.

Just my opinion, of course. I know he did plenty that was good at Southend and took Hull into the Prem.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 102 - 148
OllieGTFC
February 12, 2018, 10:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Argh just go for Lampard and sol Campbell soon be sorted

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 148
itsnotcoditshaddock
February 12, 2018, 12:21pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Seeing lots of stats on win ratios, but what is a good win ratio? What was Hursts win ratio?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 148
Ipswin
February 12, 2018, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
FFS lets wait until the end of the season

It is tighter than ever before at the top of the Conference (if we are going down there for a new man rather than some experienced many times sacked chap)

There are going to be five or six extremely good managers in the Conference who will miss out and may possibly want to step up via a vacancy having missed promotion

Please John wait and see who is available and don't go for some geezer who has dropped some not very veiled  hints on Humberside

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 148
Posh Harry
February 12, 2018, 12:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Phil Brown has said he wants it. Pretty good record and spent 5 years in his last job which is not too shabby. Managed at every league level. Interesting bloke.

I bet all the tanning shops in town are praying it is him 😉
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 148
1mickylyons
February 12, 2018, 1:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Phil Brown would be another backward step not hungry enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 148
Cloudy
February 12, 2018, 1:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Gary Brazil, Stuart McCall, Paul Hartley
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 148
headingly_mariner
February 12, 2018, 2:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from RichMariner
The fact that he signed Nile Ranger and recently assembled the oldest squad in League 1 rings alarm bells with me.

Mind you, if he likes an older player then there's a reason why he'd be attracted to GTFC at the moment!

I appreciate his pedigree - and I appreciate that whole thread of tweets was biased - but I really don't think he's the answer to our problems.

Seems a colourful character (not just referring to his tan) and after the board's recent experience with Marcus Bignot (and formerly Marcus Newell, who was also a loose cannon) I don't think it'd work.

The board would want to work with a more 'amenable' person - maybe someone they feel they can 'control' (rightly or wrongly).

I get the impression Robbie Stockdale is a very focused and sensible professional who would value a player's character as much as their ability, simply because that's a big part of managing young players.

Hurst proved that being a good person in a settled team is worth a lot when building squads.

I don't see us becoming any more settled under Brown. We need new ideas, and while this might not be the time to gamble on an untried manager, I think giving the job to Brown now when there'll be better options out there in the summer will be a mistake.

Just my opinion, of course. I know he did plenty that was good at Southend and took Hull into the Prem.

I'd much prefer Stockdale myself. Although I wouldn't be distraught if it was Brown.
Whoever it is will have to work with the current board, so we are probably copulated either way.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.