Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 288 Guests

Who do we appoint next ?

This thread currently has 24,145 views. Print
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Alfie
February 12, 2018, 2:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Cloudy
Gary Brazil, Stuart McCall, Paul Hartley

What's these based on? Seem a bit random - know anything?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 148
Cloudy
February 12, 2018, 2:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Alfie

What's these based on? Seem a bit random - know anything?

These are based on the title of the thread
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 148
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 12, 2018, 3:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There are good suggestions here but let's be realistic. some of these people will cost a lot of money either in release cash or a contract. If I was a manager being approached by a club in our position I would want a substantial bonus in the deal for keeping us in the league plus a decent contract to compensate for perhaps being a non-league manager next season. Can the club afford that outlay? I don't know.

The first question though is whether to appoint anyone with 10/9/8/7 games to go because it will probably take that long to do it if it goes to adverts, shortlists and so on. I doubt if JF has irons in the fire like he did with RS so it is a case of starting from scratch. Is it not more likely that JF will try to stick with Wilkie for the last couple of months in the hope he can make something out of the squad because there will be no more new players this side of the close season will there? He does at least know the players and will have been party to bringing some of them to BP.

A lot depends on how Wilkie approaches the job. He could end up like Woods as a good coach but a lousy manager. He may not even want to do it for more than a few games. On the other hand Paul is good with people, he has been around, dealt with adults as well as as kids, and might well stand his ground more like a Dave Booth who stood no nonsense even from pals and erstwhile team mates when he was appointed. If Wilkie takes the sh!t or bust option, takes the job and goes for what he believes in, then he could get us enough points to stay up, make a breathing space for a club re-group in the summer for both management and players.

It is not ideal by any means, but to me it is no more of a risk than bringing in an unknown outsider straightaway in desperation rather than consideration.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 148
Father Christmas
February 12, 2018, 3:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
Lee Clark
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 148
Davec
February 12, 2018, 3:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Father Christmas
Lee Clark

Since he left Huddersfield he's had a worse win ratio than Slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 148
Jarmo.Is.God
February 12, 2018, 3:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Phil Brown would be another backward step not hungry enough

No chance of getting Steve Evans now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 148
geir
February 12, 2018, 3:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

I think we need someone like this guy called Paul Hurst. I vaguely remember that he was employed at the end of last season by a Shrewsbury team that was even closer to relegation than us. He saved them and may even take them up this season.
So if someone like him is around, that`s the guy I would go for.  

I also think that whoever is appointed, there are limits to how much the board or Fenty can know about the candidates until they actually manage the team. It all comes down to that there are several factors that decides if it eventually works out with a manager. I think that Mourinho and other big-name managers would have as much (or less) chance of success with Grimsby as an unknown manager due to those factors. The economy of the club will be a big part of that equation, limiting or enhancing your chance of success.

One other thing: Earlier recruitment processes have shown that Grimsby is a club that attracts a whole lot of interest when they want to employ a manager. If I remember correctly, I think 30 or 40 names were mentioned when Bignot eventually got it. A whole lot of those were "names" that you knew well. There is no reason to believe that this wouldn`t be the situation this time around. So anyone not currently employed would possibly be available for us, there is no reason to be inferior and think otherwise,

UP the Mariners!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 148
MacDaddy9214
February 12, 2018, 3:59pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +6
Neil Redfearn or Stuart McCall would be the 2 that would would be would be top of my list to come.

Phil Brown is basically the same kind of manager as Slade. And the fact he's already threw his hat in the ring smells of looking for an easy payday as Slade did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 148
horsforthmariner
February 12, 2018, 4:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,603
Gold Stars: 9
Historically our best managers have been from teams below us in the league that were on the way up -
Buckley and Hurst been the best examples, i'd also like someone who will try and keep the ball on the deck.
Luke Garrard at Boreham Wood may be a good shout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 148
LocalLadGTFC
February 12, 2018, 4:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,101
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from MacDaddy9214
Neil Redfearn or Stuart McCall would be the 2 that would would be would be top of my list to come.

Phil Brown is basically the same kind of manager as Slade. And the fact he's already threw his hat in the ring smells of looking for an easy payday as Slade did.

How on earth is Phil Brown anything like Slade? Slade was coming off the back of failure at multiple clubs... Brown has been somewhat successful in previous years
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 119 - 148
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.