Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 262 Guests

Who do we appoint next ?

This thread currently has 24,137 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
February 11, 2018, 11:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Money talks though and I'd hazard a guess we could offer him a considerable wage rise in what he getting at Stanley. I've wanted Coleman the last 2 or 3 times we were recruiting, excrement  man manager, motivator, and plays football the right way.

Having said all that I can't see him leaving Stanley whilst they're fighting for promotion.

I'm also a fan of Coleman. He was a prolific scorer in his career and knows what teams need to find the net. I've put his name forward more than once

The only thing i would quuetion, as with the Macc manager, is could they have the same effect outside of their stomping grounds of Lancashire? There are rich pickings there to pick up players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 148
Mighty_Mariner
February 11, 2018, 11:05pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm also a fan of Coleman. He was a prolific scorer in his career and knows what teams need to find the net. I've put his name forward more than once

The only thing i would quuetion, as with the Macc manager, is could they have the same effect outside of their stomping grounds of Lancashire? There are rich pickings there to pick up players.

Damn auto correct 😂... Meant excellent! 😂

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 148
headingly_mariner
February 11, 2018, 11:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
I'd like to see Stockdale get it. Has wanted the job before. Been a coach at various levels in the Premier League, surely has good contacts and understanding of modern coaching techniques.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 148
Sigone
February 11, 2018, 11:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Anyone who watches sky's 'Debate' show will have heard Craig Bellamy saying he wants to get into management, any team, any division but they must want to play football the right way.  But we will probably end up with Paul Groves back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 148
RichMariner
February 12, 2018, 12:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
Could be wrong but I think Stuart McCall may be a little beyond us.

Not sure I'm won over by Phil Brown - obviously has bags of experience but he's slipping down the leagues.

We've bought players slipping down the leagues as they head towards retirement and that philosophy hasn't worked out for us. Don't see why it'd be any different with managers.

When was the last time you heard of a manager who started out at the top, did well, then started slipping through the leagues, hit the bottom and then worked his way back up?

Experienced managers on the way down tend to keep going in that direction.

The only realistic and credible suggestion I've seen is Robbie Stockdale.

However, if you want me to throw a new name into the mix - and you'll need to promise not to flip your lid at this - how about Andy Morrell?

This needs a lot of context, but I saw the brief discussion about McCall's win ratio and Morrell's is pretty impressive.

He took Wrexham to the Conference play-offs with 98 points and achieved a 50% win ratio during his time there. Think he got them to the play-offs twice but fell short each time.

They started 13/14 mid-table so that's why he left.

He's been at Tamworth since - 45% win ratio. Sacked recently for being mid-table. Performed miracles at a club with zero money. But if you read into it more, he's done loads of work off the pitch - setting up development squads, working in the community... the guy is clued up, has his head screwed on.

Maybe Morrell is stretching it a bit but my point still stands - we need to be appointing someone on the up.

I'm through with following 'names' we recognise. I'd take a name I'd never heard of if he's enjoyed success somewhere else playing football the right way and recruiting the right sort of players.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 94 - 148
Roast Em Bobby
February 12, 2018, 7:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Understand the sentiment Rich, but can you imagine the uproar on here if we appointed a recently sacked manager from Tamworth now and then got relegated? I still think what we need long term is very different from what we need short term (rest of this season).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 148
RichMariner
February 12, 2018, 8:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
Absolutely. I guess Morrell is an example of the type of person we should be looking for - someone who has a clear track record for winning games while developing youngsters to keep us ticking over financially. Someone relatively young but with a good grounding in management.

Marcus Bignot (we’ve said before) was the right type of appointment but if he turned out to be a fruit loop then you have to question the board’s due diligence into why they didn’t see that coming.

The answer is on his way up, not his way down. Look at other clubs - Darrell Clark at Bristol Rovers, Nathan Jones at Luton, Kevin Nolan at Notts County... Eddie Howe at Bournemouth!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 96 - 148
headingly_mariner
February 12, 2018, 10:15am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Phil Brown has said he wants it. Pretty good record and spent 5 years in his last job which is not too shabby. Managed at every league level. Interesting bloke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 148
Nelly GTFC
February 12, 2018, 10:25am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Phil Brown has said he wants it. Pretty good record and spent 5 years in his last job which is not too shabby. Managed at every league level. Interesting bloke.
Oh aye!
[tweet]962981827471380480[/tweet]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 148
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2018, 10:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I understand the argument about getting someone on the way up rather than on the way down but, if you were on the way up, would you want to take a job where the next entry on your CV could be 'Relegated with Grimsby Town'?

Potentially, we've got 13 cup finals to avoid disaster - I'd rather go with someone with experience.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 148
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we appoint next ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.