Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 11, 2018, 4:21pm

Big decision !

OS.....A competitive recruitment process will now take place until a suitable replacement is found. This is one of the most important appointments in the long history of the club and cannot be rushed, but it is important that we move swiftly with a new leader to turn around the current form.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 11, 2018, 4:22pm; Reply: 1
Give it giggsy
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 11, 2018, 4:26pm; Reply: 2
Can we have somebody else interviewing and appointing our new manager,

Then again if Wilko turns this winless run into a successful one with the same players.?
Posted by: Ashby mariner, February 11, 2018, 4:29pm; Reply: 3
John Coleman but guess he would find it hard to leave 2nd place Accrington.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 11, 2018, 4:30pm; Reply: 4
Phil Brown or Stuart McCall?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 4:31pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Phil Brown or Stuart McCall?

Works for me!
Posted by: Mendonca1995, February 11, 2018, 4:33pm; Reply: 6
Mccall would be awesome but let’s be realistic he’s not going to come here we need to get the right person in and hope they realise they have a very very tough job on there hands !!!
Posted by: OneLove, February 11, 2018, 4:33pm; Reply: 7
schillachi
Posted by: Stew0_0, February 11, 2018, 4:35pm; Reply: 8
How about Paul Doswell from Sutton United. Lead them to the top reaches of conference. Looking at back to back promotions and got them playing great football. He might even bring Tombola back with him.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/06/meet-manager-works-free-has-lead-sutton-united-fa-cup-third/amp/
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 4:36pm; Reply: 9
Danny Cowley was at Crawley yesterday.........................  ;)

But scouting as they are playing Crawley next game
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 11, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 10
Like I've said a number of times, some one like Robbie Stockdale, I'm not saying Robbie Stockdale but someone like him, someone who is well thought of in Under 23s or first team coaching who's looking for their chance to manage, I named Robbie Stockdale as my example as he was always given the tempry charge of Sunderland every time they sacked a manager in recent times. Of course if we could get someone like McCall I would be happy with that as well.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 11, 2018, 4:38pm; Reply: 11
Probably dreaming,and think he will be earning far more as Academy coach at Tottenham than we could pay him Will Antwi very highly regarded.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 11, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Works for me!

And me! Surely these are the best candidates, would they want to come here though?
Posted by: GrimRob, February 11, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 13
We'll probably have a press conference at 11am tomorrow appointing Neil Woods  :)
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 11, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from friskneymariner
Probably dreaming,and think he will be earning far more as Academy coach at Tottenham than we could pay him Will Antwi very highly regarded.

Thats the sort of man I was on about.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 11, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from GrimRob
We'll probably have a press conference at 11am tomorrow appointing Neil Woods  :)

Knowing JF he'll probably appoint Tiger Woods.

Posted by: marinerrick, February 11, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 16
Let's leave it with wilko until May and then sort it out.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 11, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from marinerrick
Let's leave it with wilko until May and then sort it out.

Not a bloody chance!!!!
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 11, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 18
Think Stuart McCall is best we can realistically expect,by the way can we still sign unattached players.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 11, 2018, 4:47pm; Reply: 19
Think Stuart McCall is best we can realistically expect,by the way can we still sign unattached players.

I think we can till the end of March, but I could be wrong
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 11, 2018, 4:53pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from promotion plaice

Big decision !

OS.....A competitive recruitment process will now take place until a suitable replacement is found. This is one of the most important appointments in the long history of the club and cannot be rushed, but it is important that we move swiftly with a new leader to turn around the current form.

How many times have we heard / seen such a statement though?

Given the board's track record, nothing they say inspires any confidence that the next appointment will be a good one, never mind the right one

It's all going to be very interesting that's for sure but I have to say I don't trust the decision maker here!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 11, 2018, 5:02pm; Reply: 21
Not the cheap option !!! Decent appoint please not a very good record with managers since we been back in the league 4th 😒
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 11, 2018, 5:05pm; Reply: 22

I think we can till the end of March, but I could be wrong

We need a manager who knows at least 8 then.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 11, 2018, 5:07pm; Reply: 23
Paul Hurst anyone ?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 11, 2018, 5:10pm; Reply: 24

So long as they're better than Woolford.
Posted by: Stew0_0, February 11, 2018, 5:13pm; Reply: 25
Michael Appleton or Craig Shakespeare????
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2018, 5:14pm; Reply: 26
The Boston manager for me. Somebody on the way UP mad has been very, very successful in his career. When he took over at Boston they were in the relegation zone if I remember rightly and oversaw 6 wins in his first 7 games. They are now. Looking at a playoff spot.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 11, 2018, 5:15pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Stew0_0

Appleton left Oxford to become Leicester assistant so I can't see him quitting that to take us over.
Posted by: Mariner56, February 11, 2018, 5:16pm; Reply: 28
Phil Brown was obviously guarded with his answers on Radio Hull a couple of weeks back when asked if he would be interested in the Grimsby job if it came up. However he appeared to be interested and didn’t shoot the suggestion down!
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 11, 2018, 5:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Stew0_0

Shakespeare is first team coach at Everton so it isn't going to happen.

Posted by: H19P1, February 11, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 30
Would the trust have any influence with instigating an independent approach to recruiting? I.e use Buckley to interview and appoint as an example
Posted by: pen penfras, February 11, 2018, 5:32pm; Reply: 31
I really hope we don't appoint somebody like Phil Brown or Stuart McCall. They look great on paper, but have spent their entire career at a level higher than this and will mostly know of players above this level. We aren't going to break the bank to sign players, so getting the good players to come to this level (and location) is nigh on impossible. We'd end up signing players on the way down that has been so unsuccessful before.

Much rather sign an up and coming manager from the level below us who knows the better players to bring here with hunger and desire to move upwards. Buckley, Slade mk1 and Hurst were all this approach and have been our most successful managers for the last 30 years. Bignot didn't turn out too well, but I think it was the right idea given everything that was reported about him.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 11, 2018, 5:36pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from H19P1
Would the trust have any influence with instigating an independent approach to recruiting? I.e use Buckley to interview and appoint as an example

Nooooooooooooooooo please Not Buckley rather ask Slade to nominate someone or God forbid leave it to 'Shut Up'

Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 11, 2018, 5:36pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from pen penfras
I really hope we don't appoint somebody like Phil Brown or Stuart McCall. They look great on paper, but have spent their entire career at a level higher than this and will mostly know of players above this level. We aren't going to break the bank to sign players, so getting the good players to come to this level (and location) is nigh on impossible. We'd end up signing players on the way down that has been so unsuccessful before.

Much rather sign an up and coming manager from the level below us who knows the better players to bring here with hunger and desire to move upwards. Buckley, Slade mk1 and Hurst were all this approach and have been our most successful managers for the last 30 years. Bignot didn't turn out too well, but I think it was the right idea given everything that was reported about him.

Well, you can tell the inner sanctum that a manager who knows how to get the best out of low budget players is essential. Whether that's Brown, McCall or whoever, you decide. Whatever the board do, if it looks cheap it will probably cost the club in the long run. The club have got 13 games to preserve league status - failure to do so will be very expensive.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 11, 2018, 5:38pm; Reply: 34
As Aaron pointed out earlier, Brown won the League 2 playoffs with Southend 3 seasons ago.
Posted by: mariner91, February 11, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
The Boston manager for me. Somebody on the way UP mad has been very, very successful in his career. When he took over at Boston they were in the relegation zone if I remember rightly and oversaw 6 wins in his first 7 games. They are now. Looking at a playoff spot.

He lost three of his first four games...Didn't win any of them. However, the turnaround has been remarkable. Huge jump from Shaw Lane to L2 in four months though.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from pen penfras

Not often i nod in approval at your posts pp, but i wholeheartedly agree. I know it sounds cut throat, but we need to poach a manager that some other team wants to hang onto, same with players. Fed up of us going for people others discard. Up and coming is the way, as has been proved in the past. The better managers and players over the years at this club have mostly come from below.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 11, 2018, 5:42pm; Reply: 37
Better managers attract better players. A cheap appointment will not help the club in the long term.
Posted by: TAGG, February 11, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 38

Big decision !

Like I've pointed out on another thread is it
"cannot be rushed' or
'important that we move swiftly'
Very contradictory and confusing.
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, February 11, 2018, 5:51pm; Reply: 39
This is not about plucking names out of the air, it's about selecting someone with strong proven ability on the training ground, someone with a track record of getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

UTM
Posted by: Cloudy, February 11, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 40

Thats the sort of man I was on about.

A part time kids coach? Really?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from pen penfras

Brown got Southend promoted out of League 2 and McCall did a decent job at Motherwell which is a comparative level to Town,

That said I would like to see someone come in who is technically well qualified, modest but engaging and hungry to prove themselves in a league managers job for the first time.

Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2018, 6:06pm; Reply: 42
May sound obvious but we will have to see who applies. We can say who we want, but if they don't apply, then it matters not. Managers are like players; they want to manage as high as they can and will lower their sights as time goes on. McCall and Brown for instance are only recently out of work.
Posted by: petethemariner, February 11, 2018, 6:06pm; Reply: 43
How about  Mark Warburton? Did a great job at Brentford, getting them to the championship and an equally good
job at Rangers getting them back into the Scottish Premiership. He might be out of our price range, but that is the sort of calibre we need,because we HAVE to get this one right.

Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 11, 2018, 6:07pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Cloudy

A part time kids coach? Really?

No its more about someone who is well thought of in the industry with a good coaching record who has or is coaching at a high level even if it is Tottenhams under 23s, someone who wants to be a manager but needs the chance instead of the manager merry go round. So what if he's coaching the kids team, just because they're splitting time between the class room and the football pitch foesn't mean they are part time, they'll still be out reviewing tape, studying formation and training methods, scouting lower league teams for the next star in the academy and most likely helping out in 1st team as well.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, February 11, 2018, 6:09pm; Reply: 45
Good luck to Paul for the rest of the season. I hope you can get us out of the mess you have been left.
I would hazard a guess and say that if we have a decent run of form, from now until the end season and start to play some decent football then Paul will be in the running.
If the club want to find someone else then a lot of the names bandied about will wait to see what position we are in, in 3 or 4 games time. I can't imagine somebody like Phil Brown or Stuart McCall would want to manage a non league club.
Personally I would like to see an up and coming manager and you never know Paul Wilkinson could show us he has that potential.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 11, 2018, 6:11pm; Reply: 46
I'm concerned even the likes of Klopp, Mourinho or Guardiola would struggle to get season saving results out of the current crowd.

Whatever you do Wiko, and I know for some reason you rated him, but please please don't pick Kelly next Saturday
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 11, 2018, 6:13pm; Reply: 47
http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/grimsby-town
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 11, 2018, 6:19pm; Reply: 48
If Wilco sorts this shat out and keeps us up he deserves a crack at it next season.

He and the players will get my 100% support we can't buy players to help him but by feck we can make those lads fight to stay up.
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 11, 2018, 6:20pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Sol campbel lol no ta. pleaseplease do not appy steve macclaren.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 11, 2018, 6:22pm; Reply: 50
I think a few people need to lower their sights. It'll be someone nobody else at this level will want. Someone who has a recent history of failure or someone untried.
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 11, 2018, 6:28pm; Reply: 51
I bet Harry Clifton and Mcallister and the likes are happier now, they may get a chance.

Bet Asante is non plussed tho
Posted by: Eastendmariner, February 11, 2018, 6:28pm; Reply: 52
Nobody at the mo let's get sladitus out of ous system first let's enjoy the moment and we can all think thank god there is a slim chance now of staying up  ;D
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 11, 2018, 6:28pm; Reply: 53
But can we have a total ban on suggesting Curtis Woodhouse please. He's not even managing in the conference North and he's a disaster waiting to happen.
Posted by: mimma, February 11, 2018, 6:45pm; Reply: 54
If you ask the 3000 season ticket holders you would get 2000 different answers.

Choosing your next manger must be the hardest job in football. You listen to them at an interview, they sound like the next big thing in football. Then when they get the job they turn into crusty the clown. (Bignot anyone?)

It's a thankless task.

Just one point, will they be expected to sign a six month rolling contract to cover ourselves, or do we go for broke and give a longer contract? The first option might put off the better managers and leave us with managers that are struggling to find a club.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2018, 6:50pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Abdul19
As Aaron pointed out earlier, Brown won the League 2 playoffs with Southend 3 seasons ago.

Didn't Phil Brown take over Southend when they'd already reached the play-off final and took charge after that game?

Or I've either just completely made that up or go him confused with someone else ha!
Posted by: davmariner, February 11, 2018, 7:02pm; Reply: 56
Justin Edinburgh.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 11, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from headingly_mariner
But can we have a total ban on suggesting Curtis Woodhouse please. He's not even managing in the conference North and he's a disaster waiting to happen.

I understand he was down at the ground today

Only kidding ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from monkeyboy
I bet Harry Clifton and Mcallister and the likes are happier now, they may get a chance.

Bet Asante is non plussed tho

Can we get Clemence back?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 11, 2018, 7:07pm; Reply: 59
The floppy haired guy previously at Hearts and Franchise?
McCall
Daryl McMahon

Not many names jump out at the minute. I certainly hope we don't go down either the journeyman or ex-player routes again
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, February 11, 2018, 7:27pm; Reply: 60
In the immediate future we need results. I would give Wilko the next 2 games, if there is no upturn in performances then we should consider parachuting an experienced manager in on a short term contract until the end of the season (may have to offer a decent stay up bonus to attract someone).Then once we know which division we are in next season we could then maybe try an up and coming coach or someone impressive from non league. The latter would be my preferred route to go, but not at this stage of the season.
Posted by: buckstown, February 11, 2018, 7:28pm; Reply: 61
Id like to see an up an coming manager rather than a journeyman but it's high risk. The one before RS was up and coming if I remember correctly?
I do think the none chairman should engage the trust in the decision making process. At least he'd be able to deflect some attention if it goes wrong
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 11, 2018, 7:35pm; Reply: 62

Is there any odds out on Towns next manager yet ?
Posted by: davmariner, February 11, 2018, 7:37pm; Reply: 63
Martin Allen?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2018, 7:38pm; Reply: 64

Is there any odds out on Towns next manager yet ?

http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/grimsby-town
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 11, 2018, 7:39pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from davmariner
Martin Allen?

no thank you,
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, February 11, 2018, 7:42pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from davmariner
Martin Allen?

Sooner have Dave Allen. At least his interviews would be worth listening to.

PS I know he has sprung this mortal coil.

Posted by: wiggers, February 11, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 67
Graham Potter currently manager of Ostersunds FK Sweden.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 11, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 68
Paul Scholes
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 11, 2018, 8:20pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from wiggers
Graham Potter currently manager of Ostersunds FK Sweden.

;D we've got more chance of getting Harry Potter.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2018, 8:28pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Can we get Clemence back?

Never heard of him!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 11, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 71

;D we've got more chance of getting Harry Potter.

What about Brian Potter
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 11, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 72
I would like to inform you all that Woodhouse was only at the ground today to give his friend Slade a lift home,

He was not there to have an interview no matter what Matt Dean would say. ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, February 11, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 73

Didn't Phil Brown take over Southend when they'd already reached the play-off final and took charge after that game?

Or I've either just completely made that up or go him confused with someone else ha!

No think he was there a year or so.

Just checked with my source (wiki ;)): he was there 2 years. But you might well be thinking of the right bloke: Brown took over just before they played the JPT final?
Posted by: moosey_club, February 11, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from mimma

Choosing your next manger must be the hardest job in football. You listen to them at an interview, they sound like the next big thing in football. Then when they get the job they turn into crusty the clown. (Bignot anyone?)

we didnt bother with that last time though....JF asked Russell what he should do about Bignot and Russ said you need to appoint me as i am available....selection process over.

An experienced manager for me with an attractive style of play , that could be someone from lower down the pyramid dont care, not a first timer type coach stepping up.

Posted by: promotion plaice, February 11, 2018, 8:57pm; Reply: 75

Don't get me wrong....I think we are in the relegation mix

but

I suppose we are more of an attractive proposition to a new manager as we are still 9 points from the relegation places.

Posted by: Grim74, February 11, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 76
Please not McCall he must of had one of the biggest budgets in league 1 but he has been utter shite.
Posted by: livosnose, February 11, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Grim74
Please not McCall he must of had one of the biggest budgets in league 1 but he has been utter shite.

Never out the top six all season shite ?
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 78
How could you possibly know or judge that 74? Like your politics - a load of badly thought out assumptions.

Didn't they get to the play offs in L1 last year and top half this year?

Yeah, please god not him, FFS. Let's get some nobody in from Boston, or an 'up and coming' cheap option.
Posted by: mariner91, February 11, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Grim74

He had a 45% win percentage. That's not shite.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2018, 9:19pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Grim74

Apart from a 46% win rate in his last job and a career win rate of 40%, he's been utter sh1te.

Posted by: livosnose, February 11, 2018, 9:22pm; Reply: 81
Plus we would get to,see that video of him falling off the top of a van drunk
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 11, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 82
Beat me to it livvo. Just for a repeat of that I’d appoint him .
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, February 11, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 83
That’s why I’m not a chairman
Posted by: Alfie, February 11, 2018, 10:22pm; Reply: 84
John Askey. Doing a great job with Macc. Would build a philosophy around yoof. Top of league with lowest budget. He’s just fell out with their chairman over unpaid wages too. Could be great timing!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 11, 2018, 10:29pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Alfie
John Askey. Doing a great job with Macc. Would build a philosophy around yoof. Top of league with lowest budget. He’s just fell out with their chairman over unpaid wages too. Could be great timing!

Good call but he's been at Macc for ages, but still a very good call.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 11, 2018, 10:39pm; Reply: 86
If be happy with brown, McCall or stock dale. Having said that wilko is ticks a lot of boxes so if he gets on okay in next couple of games wouldn't be adverse to giving him a whirl
Posted by: Mariners_15, February 11, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 87
Some pie in the sky names here, do like the sound of the Macc manager tho but always a risk to appoint someone whose been at one club as long as he has. John Coleman would be my man of choice but you'd have to question whether he'd leave Accy for us while he's got something good going there...
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2018, 10:41pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Abdul19

No think he was there a year or so.

Just checked with my source (wiki ;)): he was there 2 years. But you might well be thinking of the right bloke: Brown took over just before they played the JPT final?

Oh yes you're right that's the one I was thinking of 👍
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Mariners_15
Some pie in the sky names here, do like the sound of the Macc manager tho but always a risk to appoint someone whose been at one club as long as he has. John Coleman would be my man of choice but you'd have to question whether he'd leave Accy for us while he's got something good going there...

Money talks though and I'd hazard a guess we could offer him a considerable wage rise in what he getting at Stanley. I've wanted Coleman the last 2 or 3 times we were recruiting, excellent man manager, motivator, and plays football the right way.

Having said all that I can't see him leaving Stanley whilst they're fighting for promotion.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 11, 2018, 11:00pm; Reply: 90

Money talks though and I'd hazard a guess we could offer him a considerable wage rise in what he getting at Stanley. I've wanted Coleman the last 2 or 3 times we were recruiting, excrement  man manager, motivator, and plays football the right way.

Having said all that I can't see him leaving Stanley whilst they're fighting for promotion.

:-/ ;D

I'm also a fan of Coleman. He was a prolific scorer in his career and knows what teams need to find the net. I've put his name forward more than once

The only thing i would quuetion, as with the Macc manager, is could they have the same effect outside of their stomping grounds of Lancashire? There are rich pickings there to pick up players.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 11, 2018, 11:05pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from ginnywings

:-/ ;D

I'm also a fan of Coleman. He was a prolific scorer in his career and knows what teams need to find the net. I've put his name forward more than once

The only thing i would quuetion, as with the Macc manager, is could they have the same effect outside of their stomping grounds of Lancashire? There are rich pickings there to pick up players.

Damn auto correct 😂... Meant excellent! 😂
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 11, 2018, 11:50pm; Reply: 92
I'd like to see Stockdale get it. Has wanted the job before. Been a coach at various levels in the Premier League, surely has good contacts and understanding of modern coaching techniques.
Posted by: Sigone, February 11, 2018, 11:54pm; Reply: 93
Anyone who watches sky's 'Debate' show will have heard Craig Bellamy saying he wants to get into management, any team, any division but they must want to play football the right way.  But we will probably end up with Paul Groves back.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 12, 2018, 12:38am; Reply: 94
Could be wrong but I think Stuart McCall may be a little beyond us.

Not sure I'm won over by Phil Brown - obviously has bags of experience but he's slipping down the leagues.

We've bought players slipping down the leagues as they head towards retirement and that philosophy hasn't worked out for us. Don't see why it'd be any different with managers.

When was the last time you heard of a manager who started out at the top, did well, then started slipping through the leagues, hit the bottom and then worked his way back up?

Experienced managers on the way down tend to keep going in that direction.

The only realistic and credible suggestion I've seen is Robbie Stockdale.

However, if you want me to throw a new name into the mix - and you'll need to promise not to flip your lid at this - how about Andy Morrell?

This needs a lot of context, but I saw the brief discussion about McCall's win ratio and Morrell's is pretty impressive.

He took Wrexham to the Conference play-offs with 98 points and achieved a 50% win ratio during his time there. Think he got them to the play-offs twice but fell short each time.

They started 13/14 mid-table so that's why he left.

He's been at Tamworth since - 45% win ratio. Sacked recently for being mid-table. Performed miracles at a club with zero money. But if you read into it more, he's done loads of work off the pitch - setting up development squads, working in the community... the guy is clued up, has his head screwed on.

Maybe Morrell is stretching it a bit but my point still stands - we need to be appointing someone on the up.

I'm through with following 'names' we recognise. I'd take a name I'd never heard of if he's enjoyed success somewhere else playing football the right way and recruiting the right sort of players.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, February 12, 2018, 7:45am; Reply: 95
Understand the sentiment Rich, but can you imagine the uproar on here if we appointed a recently sacked manager from Tamworth now and then got relegated? I still think what we need long term is very different from what we need short term (rest of this season).
Posted by: RichMariner, February 12, 2018, 8:52am; Reply: 96
Absolutely. I guess Morrell is an example of the type of person we should be looking for - someone who has a clear track record for winning games while developing youngsters to keep us ticking over financially. Someone relatively young but with a good grounding in management.

Marcus Bignot (we’ve said before) was the right type of appointment but if he turned out to be a fruit loop then you have to question the board’s due diligence into why they didn’t see that coming.

The answer is on his way up, not his way down. Look at other clubs - Darrell Clark at Bristol Rovers, Nathan Jones at Luton, Kevin Nolan at Notts County... Eddie Howe at Bournemouth!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 12, 2018, 10:15am; Reply: 97
Phil Brown has said he wants it. Pretty good record and spent 5 years in his last job which is not too shabby. Managed at every league level. Interesting bloke.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 12, 2018, 10:25am; Reply: 98
Phil Brown has said he wants it. Pretty good record and spent 5 years in his last job which is not too shabby. Managed at every league level. Interesting bloke.
Oh aye! (ohmy)
[tweet]962981827471380480[/tweet]
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 12, 2018, 10:27am; Reply: 99

I understand the argument about getting someone on the way up rather than on the way down but, if you were on the way up, would you want to take a job where the next entry on your CV could be 'Relegated with Grimsby Town'?

Potentially, we've got 13 cup finals to avoid disaster - I'd rather go with someone with experience.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 12, 2018, 10:28am; Reply: 100
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Oh aye! (ohmy)
[tweet]962981827471380480[/tweet]

Interesting.....
Posted by: Tommy, February 12, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 101
Re: Phil Brown

There's an interesting (if maybe biased) thread of tweets from @ScottWallace_ going through Phil Brown's 5 years at Southend.

Hardly glowing references to say he was there for 5 years.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottWallace_/status/953674460866990080?p=v

This the initial tweet, then read all the following tweets below it from the same poster.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 12, 2018, 10:47am; Reply: 102
The fact that he signed Nile Ranger and recently assembled the oldest squad in League 1 rings alarm bells with me.

Mind you, if he likes an older player then there's a reason why he'd be attracted to GTFC at the moment!

I appreciate his pedigree - and I appreciate that whole thread of tweets was biased - but I really don't think he's the answer to our problems.

Seems a colourful character (not just referring to his tan) and after the board's recent experience with Marcus Bignot (and formerly Mike Newell, who was also a loose cannon) I don't think it'd work.

The board would want to work with a more 'amenable' person - maybe someone they feel they can 'control' (rightly or wrongly).

I get the impression Robbie Stockdale is a very focused and sensible professional who would value a player's character as much as their ability, simply because that's a big part of managing young players.

Hurst proved that being a good person in a settled team is worth a lot when building squads.

I don't see us becoming any more settled under Brown. We need new ideas, and while this might not be the time to gamble on an untried manager, I think giving the job to Brown now when there'll be better options out there in the summer will be a mistake.

Just my opinion, of course. I know he did plenty that was good at Southend and took Hull into the Prem.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 12, 2018, 10:50am; Reply: 103
Argh just go for Lampard and sol Campbell soon be sorted
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, February 12, 2018, 12:21pm; Reply: 104
Seeing lots of stats on win ratios, but what is a good win ratio? What was Hursts win ratio?
Posted by: Ipswin, February 12, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 105
FFS lets wait until the end of the season

It is tighter than ever before at the top of the Conference (if we are going down there for a new man rather than some experienced many times sacked chap)

There are going to be five or six extremely good managers in the Conference who will miss out and may possibly want to step up via a vacancy having missed promotion

Please John wait and see who is available and don't go for some geezer who has dropped some not very veiled  hints on Humberside
Posted by: Posh Harry, February 12, 2018, 12:46pm; Reply: 106

I bet all the tanning shops in town are praying it is him 😉
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 12, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 107
Phil Brown would be another backward step not hungry enough
Posted by: Cloudy, February 12, 2018, 1:55pm; Reply: 108
Gary Brazil, Stuart McCall, Paul Hartley
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 12, 2018, 2:19pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from RichMariner
The fact that he signed Nile Ranger and recently assembled the oldest squad in League 1 rings alarm bells with me.

Mind you, if he likes an older player then there's a reason why he'd be attracted to GTFC at the moment!

I appreciate his pedigree - and I appreciate that whole thread of tweets was biased - but I really don't think he's the answer to our problems.

Seems a colourful character (not just referring to his tan) and after the board's recent experience with Marcus Bignot (and formerly Marcus Newell, who was also a loose cannon) I don't think it'd work.

The board would want to work with a more 'amenable' person - maybe someone they feel they can 'control' (rightly or wrongly).

I get the impression Robbie Stockdale is a very focused and sensible professional who would value a player's character as much as their ability, simply because that's a big part of managing young players.

Hurst proved that being a good person in a settled team is worth a lot when building squads.

I don't see us becoming any more settled under Brown. We need new ideas, and while this might not be the time to gamble on an untried manager, I think giving the job to Brown now when there'll be better options out there in the summer will be a mistake.

Just my opinion, of course. I know he did plenty that was good at Southend and took Hull into the Prem.

I'd much prefer Stockdale myself. Although I wouldn't be distraught if it was Brown.
Whoever it is will have to work with the current board, so we are probably copulated either way.
Posted by: Alfie, February 12, 2018, 2:49pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Cloudy
Gary Brazil, Stuart McCall, Paul Hartley

What's these based on? Seem a bit random - know anything?
Posted by: Cloudy, February 12, 2018, 2:54pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Alfie

What's these based on? Seem a bit random - know anything?

These are based on the title of the thread
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 12, 2018, 3:15pm; Reply: 112
There are good suggestions here but let's be realistic. some of these people will cost a lot of money either in release cash or a contract. If I was a manager being approached by a club in our position I would want a substantial bonus in the deal for keeping us in the league plus a decent contract to compensate for perhaps being a non-league manager next season. Can the club afford that outlay? I don't know.

The first question though is whether to appoint anyone with 10/9/8/7 games to go because it will probably take that long to do it if it goes to adverts, shortlists and so on. I doubt if JF has irons in the fire like he did with RS so it is a case of starting from scratch. Is it not more likely that JF will try to stick with Wilkie for the last couple of months in the hope he can make something out of the squad because there will be no more new players this side of the close season will there? He does at least know the players and will have been party to bringing some of them to BP.

A lot depends on how Wilkie approaches the job. He could end up like Woods as a good coach but a lousy manager. He may not even want to do it for more than a few games. On the other hand Paul is good with people, he has been around, dealt with adults as well as as kids, and might well stand his ground more like a Dave Booth who stood no nonsense even from pals and erstwhile team mates when he was appointed. If Wilkie takes the sh!t or bust option, takes the job and goes for what he believes in, then he could get us enough points to stay up, make a breathing space for a club re-group in the summer for both management and players.

It is not ideal by any means, but to me it is no more of a risk than bringing in an unknown outsider straightaway in desperation rather than consideration.

Posted by: Father Christmas, February 12, 2018, 3:16pm; Reply: 113
Lee Clark
Posted by: Davec, February 12, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Father Christmas
Lee Clark

Since he left Huddersfield he's had a worse win ratio than Slade
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 12, 2018, 3:26pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Phil Brown would be another backward step not hungry enough

No chance of getting Steve Evans now
Posted by: geir, February 12, 2018, 3:44pm; Reply: 116

I think we need someone like this guy called Paul Hurst. I vaguely remember that he was employed at the end of last season by a Shrewsbury team that was even closer to relegation than us. He saved them and may even take them up this season.
So if someone like him is around, that`s the guy I would go for.  :-/

I also think that whoever is appointed, there are limits to how much the board or Fenty can know about the candidates until they actually manage the team. It all comes down to that there are several factors that decides if it eventually works out with a manager. I think that Mourinho and other big-name managers would have as much (or less) chance of success with Grimsby as an unknown manager due to those factors. The economy of the club will be a big part of that equation, limiting or enhancing your chance of success.

One other thing: Earlier recruitment processes have shown that Grimsby is a club that attracts a whole lot of interest when they want to employ a manager. If I remember correctly, I think 30 or 40 names were mentioned when Bignot eventually got it. A whole lot of those were "names" that you knew well. There is no reason to believe that this wouldn`t be the situation this time around. So anyone not currently employed would possibly be available for us, there is no reason to be inferior and think otherwise,

UP the Mariners! :-)
Posted by: MacDaddy9214, February 12, 2018, 3:59pm; Reply: 117
Neil Redfearn or Stuart McCall would be the 2 that would would be would be top of my list to come.

Phil Brown is basically the same kind of manager as Slade. And the fact he's already threw his hat in the ring smells of looking for an easy payday as Slade did.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, February 12, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 118
Historically our best managers have been from teams below us in the league that were on the way up -
Buckley and Hurst been the best examples, i'd also like someone who will try and keep the ball on the deck.
Luke Garrard at Boreham Wood may be a good shout.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 12, 2018, 4:05pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from MacDaddy9214
Neil Redfearn or Stuart McCall would be the 2 that would would be would be top of my list to come.

Phil Brown is basically the same kind of manager as Slade. And the fact he's already threw his hat in the ring smells of looking for an easy payday as Slade did.

How on earth is Phil Brown anything like Slade? Slade was coming off the back of failure at multiple clubs... Brown has been somewhat successful in previous years
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 12, 2018, 4:06pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from Davec

Since he left Huddersfield he's had a worse win ratio than Slade

NO thank you

Posted by: barrattstandman, February 12, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 121
Basically everyone mentioned has been discounted which means that if any of these are manager they could well be on a loser fan wise . Let’s give over guessing and do what we do best , play football manager
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 12, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 122
I’m edging towards Robbie Stockdale. He knows the club and what it means to the fans but has been away from the club for long enough to be disconnected from the current regime. He seems to have a good reputation in football but I have to confess that I don’t actually know what he’s achieved statistically. Wasn’t he in charge of the youth team at Sunderland? He’s coached alongside a lot of managers there who all seemed happy to keep him on but they have plummeted as a club.

There have been a few youth lads come through the ranks at Sunderland recently, with the likes of Jordan Pickford, Duncan Watmore and Josh Maja doing well. I guess Robbie has had a helping hand in that, and I’m liking the idea of him coming in and being given the time to assemble a young, exciting squad with the potential to develop, rather than a Phil Brown type coming in and signing older players who he’s worked with before.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 12, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 123
Why all the fuss around Robbie Stockdale? He wouldn't even be mentioned if he hadn't played for us.

Phil Brown for me if we are going experienced he has promotion from this league and and did well at hull.

If we are going up and coming then the bloke at Boston is a good shout .
Posted by: gaz57, February 12, 2018, 4:47pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

No chance of getting Steve Evans now

Home games would be interesting he spends most of his time in the stands when he's at Blundell park.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 12, 2018, 5:08pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Why all the fuss around Robbie Stockdale? He wouldn't even be mentioned if he hadn't played for us.

Phil Brown for me if we are going experienced he has promotion from this league and and did well at hull.

If we are going up and coming then the bloke at Boston is a good shout .

Do you think I stand a chance ?

I played for the juniors in the early 60's and I know the club inside out. 8)
Posted by: devs, February 12, 2018, 5:22pm; Reply: 126
Fenty's interview implied that a few have applied who are with other clubs
He said about "approaching those clubs in the right way etc".

Good interview to be fair and explains why we go for 6 month rolling contracts

99% of those applying will be desperate to get into management or see GTFC as a step up so the length of the contract won't put them off

If we go experience I'd take Phil Brown

If we go up and coming I'd take a punt with the lad at Boston

Roll of a dice to be honest - the Cowley appt at Lincoln was a huge risk but worked out well; but several other appts of this type have gone very wrong

What we don;t need is another off the merry go round who has had years of failure and moves from job to job
Posted by: MacDaddy9214, February 12, 2018, 5:48pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

How on earth is Phil Brown anything like Slade? Slade was coming off the back of failure at multiple clubs... Brown has been somewhat successful in previous years

Have you watched any of Phil Brown's teams play? Old fashioned hoof ball what Slade got destroyed for. I know a few Southend fans who were glad he was gone....
As for fairly successful do you class his time at Southend as successful or are you going off his time with Hull?

If Fenty thought Bignot was a fruit loop. He's in for a fruity time with Brown.
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, February 12, 2018, 5:53pm; Reply: 128
Luke Garrard from Boreham Wood with a good experienced assistant who has knowledge of the game. Probably won't happen but ah well, I'd be happy with it.

John Askey from Macc Town maybe, I know they've had problems paying wages recently so wouldn't say it's impossible but maybe not likely.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 12, 2018, 6:30pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from MacDaddy9214

Redfearns overall win percentage as a manager is 26%
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, February 12, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 130
If we go the experienced route then Brian McDermott may be a good option. Always been quite impressed by him when I’ve heard him interviewed, and I don’t think most would consider him as a typical treadmill type
Posted by: chaos33, February 12, 2018, 7:39pm; Reply: 131
Brian McDermott decent shout, presuming he still has contacts and wants to be a manager. Actually, he looks uncannily like Slade, so best not go there! 😛
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 12, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 132
Further afield

Jim Goodwin : Alloa
David Hopkin : Livingston
David Healy : linfield
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 12, 2018, 8:13pm; Reply: 133
I don’t know who we appoint but this obsession with former players does my head in.
Posted by: TAGG, February 12, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 134
This for anyone wanting the permanent tan mammary
https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottWallace_/status/953674460866990080
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 12, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 135
Surprised, what with the obsession with ex players, no one has mentioned Paul Harsley yet!!!
Posted by: chaos33, February 12, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I don’t know who we appoint but this obsession with former players does my head in.

Me too mate
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 12, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Happens at every single club mate.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 12, 2018, 9:56pm; Reply: 138
Not been mentioned so far but I'm very tempted to stick at least a couple of shekels on Martin gray at York. Don't think darlo andy likes him but has got a helluva record. Is in the right area geographically and if York are up site creek then he may well be looking to jump ship
Posted by: Will Haddock, February 13, 2018, 12:30am; Reply: 139
No-one's mentioned Shaun Derry.
Remember him as a battling passionate player, what's his management record like?
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 13, 2018, 1:15am; Reply: 140
Quoted from Will Haddock
No-one's mentioned Shaun Derry.
Remember him as a battling passionate player, what's his management record like?

Well Cambridge have just got rid.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 13, 2018, 4:30am; Reply: 141
At the end of the day whoever, the board choose will not appease everyone. It's a gamble no one can predict whether or not they will click you need a lot of luck as well and let's face it Slade never had any of that.

People say you make your own luck but there is nothing you can do about Ref's or injuries.

There is no way Fenty and the board want failure why the feck should they which is why a rolling contract is a sensible way forwards such a big investment needs caution.
Posted by: Geordie Mariner 1980, February 13, 2018, 5:18am; Reply: 142
I’d much prefer to see a “young” (I.e. recently retired - in the last 5 years or so) ex player get the gig - someone who can appreciate how modern players think & act, as well as someone who has the coaching badges to back it up.

You only have to look at what someone like Harry Kewell is doing at Crawley to see there must be some decent ex-pros looking for their first opportunity on the managerial ladder and who are keen & willing to come to a place like Grimsby to do it.

When I see certain names (*cough* Phil Brown *cough*) I just find it immensely depressing to be honest’ - i’d Be gutted if we got a journeyman.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 13, 2018, 7:53am; Reply: 143
Quoted from davmariner
Justin Edinburgh.

He can fog off.
Posted by: fleabag1970, February 13, 2018, 9:15am; Reply: 144
I honestly think either wilko , Edinburgh or brown will get the job ...
Posted by: rancido, February 13, 2018, 9:21am; Reply: 145
Whoever we get this message board will be split between those who thinks it's a good appointment and those who don't agree. For all the flak that JF has taken over his managerial appointments over the years there have been for and against on this site. Even when RS was appointed there were many on here who thought it was a good choice. In the same token Bignot and Newell received their devotees as well as their detractors.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 13, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 146
Quoted from fleabag1970
I honestly think either wilko , Edinburgh or brown will get the job ...

I remember Edinburgh offering a Town fan out in the Main stand and when the Town fan confronted him he made sure he got arrested then spouted off some more.Quite a few in the Main then got involved and it could have turned really nasty but for some good stewarding.I was disgusted with his actions with him having been in the game over 20 years but of course this doesn`t mean he can`t manage?
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 13, 2018, 12:03pm; Reply: 147
I'd be more than happy for Justin Edinburgh to be given the gig!
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, February 13, 2018, 2:56pm; Reply: 148
What about Micky Mellon? Did well with Fleetwood and Shrewsbury and now doing well with Tranny in the Conference.  I'm not sure what his playing style is like but got to among the shortlist.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 10:14pm