Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Politics Thread .
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 154 Guests

The Politics Thread .

This thread currently has 17,620 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
July 11, 2017, 4:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from grimsby pete

Well there wines on sale here already and they do not cost any different so that one of your points down the toilet,

Regarding cars we have been buying cars from Japan for years and years, they even made a big factory at Sunderland,

So why can't China build a factory here for their cars, they might even build it at Grimsby,

BTW if we do not have a trade deal with the EU we will not be able to buy their cars if you say the Germans will import them anyway and add on a tariff then why are the powers that be taking 2 years to talk about deals,

Either we have a deal that we are happy with or we will have NO DEAL which means no German cars,

You may check with the EU if you do not believe me.

Pete. Isn't the reason that a lot of goods already come from places like Chile because it is part of a deal with the E.U.? When we leave the E.U. we will have to start again.
At the risk of reminding me you still don't have a membership card, during Operation Promotion we ordered our Harrys from China. It took five weeks for the order to go through (which included two weeks waiting for a sample to arrive) and then NINE weeks for the sea trip ( via a container). We were lucky in that we had a kind sponsor who gave us some space in his container for free. I dread to think how much it costs to have something at sea for that length of time. Throughout we had to deal through an agent and because of the time lapse and language difficulties even simple queries took ages to answer. The money we sent had to go through a clearing bank in America where it was converted into dollars because no-one deals in Chinese Yuans. We had a problem because of a misunderstanding of the way the payment needed to be prepared which meant it had to be sent back. In the meantime we had to send another payment. It took a month for the returned payment to come back to our account. We had no idea where it was at any time during that period. I'm not saying such problems couldn't be ironed out but that would take time and nothing can be done about the distance. The contrast is stark when you consider we were sending goods from Op. Prom. out to places all over the world and were getting messages from people in Italy France etc. saying they'd received them TWO DAYS after we posted them.

Its been said before but No Deal doesnt mean they cannot sell their cars here. It means they cannot sell them tariff free. The German car industry has indicated they are willing to suck that up to protect the single market.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 164
grimsby pete
July 11, 2017, 4:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Last week or was it 2 weeks ago ? I popped down to Felixstowe to see the biggest ship in the world,

It came fro China and had over 21,000 containers on it,

That's a lot of goods we are already buying from China ,

We could make that a more regular run for them.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 164
barralad
July 11, 2017, 5:14pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from grimsby pete
Last week or was it 2 weeks ago ? I popped down to Felixstowe to see the biggest ship in the world,

It came fro China and had over 21,000 containers on it,

That's a lot of goods we are already buying from China ,

We could make that a more regular run for them.

Yep. Isn't the issue though how many made the return journey?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 164
grimsby pete
July 11, 2017, 5:18pm

Exile
Quoted from barralad

Pete. Isn't the reason that a lot of goods already come from places like Chile because it is part of a deal with the E.U.? When we leave the E.U. we will have to start again.

Anybody thinking we will not be talking to other countries about trade deals already must be living where I have been told I live, La La Land or cloud cuckoo land,

Just because the EU say countries can not make separate deals with others while in the EU does not mean we will not have all deals ready in place for day 1 of Brexit,

Also about the time it takes anything to arrive from China,

Japan imported their cars for years before they found out it would pay to build a factory here because of the amount of cars we were buying,

Sunderland got it because the government gave them a grant otherwise it might have been built at Grimsby,

So when China starts to build their cars in Grimsby I will say,

I told you so .

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 164
Grim74
July 11, 2017, 5:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Let's not forget the great news from president Trump he wants a free trade deal with the UK as soon as we leave the EU. The US economy is 35% larger than the EU27's suck on that Merkel.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 164
Maringer
July 11, 2017, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,541
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Grim74
Let's not forget the great news from president Trump he wants a free trade deal with the UK as soon as we leave the EU. The US economy is 35% larger than the EU27's suck on that Merkel.

Which would be very useful if the US wasn't 4,000 miles away. On a clear day, you can see one of the main EU countries from the cliffs of Dover!

Unsurprisingly, we do 5 times as much trade with Europe as with the US. If you think this is going to suddenly switch around once we've left the EU then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

What I'd really like to know is just what you think we're going to export? We don't manufacture much, we're a small country so we don't have much in the way of agricultural exports, so much so that we can't even feed ourselves at present. Similarly, we don't have any large mineral wealth. What are we going to export? There's a very good reason we had a £60 billion trade deficit with the EU last year.

When the banks jump ship to Frankfurt will be when the 'fun' really begins.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 164
grimsby pete
July 11, 2017, 6:13pm

Exile
Quoted from Grim74

Plus there are Hundreds and Hundreds of millions ( too many to count ) of people living in China and India.
They also want trade deals with us.

AND

Boris said today if the EU think we are giving them billions for a divorce payment they can go whistle.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 164
grimsby pete
July 11, 2017, 6:21pm

Exile
Quoted from Maringer

Which would be very useful if the US wasn't 4,000 miles away. On a clear day, you can see one of the main EU countries from the cliffs of Dover!

Unsurprisingly, we do 5 times as much trade with Europe as with the US. If you think this is going to suddenly switch around once we've left the EU then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

What I'd really like to know is just what you think we're going to export? We don't manufacture much, we're a small country so we don't have much in the way of agricultural exports, so much so that we can't even feed ourselves at present. Similarly, we don't have any large mineral wealth. What are we going to export? There's a very good reason we had a £60 billion trade deficit with the EU last year.

What do we export at the moment ?

This fixation of we can not trade with them or them because they are further away is just stupid,

We buy far more than we sell to the EU . so wanting to sell what we do export will not be a problem,

Barralad said it took weeks to get our Harry from China,

Well you know what ?

We will order things 6 weeks in advance, its not rocket science.

Regarding the Banks we will offer them a better deal to stay than the Germans will to take them away.

I am glad we do not have to go to war with some of you lads, you will be putting up the white flag as soon as you saw anybody approaching.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 164
barralad
July 11, 2017, 6:40pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from grimsby pete

What do we export at the moment ?

This fixation of we can not trade with them or them because they are further away is just stupid,

We buy far more than we sell to the EU . so wanting to sell what we do export will not be a problem,

Barralad said it took weeks to get our Harry from China,

Well you know what ?

We will order things 6 weeks in advance, its not rocket science.

Regarding the Banks we will offer them a better deal to stay than the Germans will to take them away.

I am glad we do not have to go to war with some of you lads, you will be putting up the white flag as soon as you saw anybody approaching.

Unless you mean that ordering six weeks in advance means goods only take three weeks to arrive that point is unfortunately irrelevant.
Your point about Chinese cars got me thinking. Didn't the Chinese take over Rover at some point? What happened to that? Genuine question...Can you buy a new version Chinese Rover? If not why did they pull out? I cannot remember.
You may be entirely right and we are worrying about nothing. My final point though is that there is no guarantee that foreign car firms currently here will necessarily want to stay here post Brexit. The government recognised that possibility very early on by doing a deal with Nissan which suggests if they weren't worried they wouldn't have seen the need to reassure them.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 164
Grim74
July 11, 2017, 6:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer

Distances don't mean anything now, Its not the 1800s Maringer or haven't you remoaniacs noticed?

We will still be trading with Europe!  America is one of 37 countries wanting FTAs with us the others include the world's 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th & 13th largest economies.

Well this is what we are exporting.... Machinery including computers, Vehicles, Pharmaceuticals,Gems, precious metals Electrical machinery, Mineral fuels including oil,Aircraft, spacecraft,Optical, technical, medical apparatus, Plastics, plastic articles Organic chemicals etc, $54.7B

As for the banks nothing but classic scaremongering London is consistently one of the leading financial centres in the world.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 164
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Politics Thread .

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.