Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Politics Thread .
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 253 Guests

The Politics Thread .

This thread currently has 17,468 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
July 26, 2017, 1:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Maringer
No surprise that Ze Germans have announced that they are going to build their electric Minis in their UK factory as it won't require any new production lines to be built and will keep the 'Britishness' of the brand going. Of course, the initial numbers of electric cars will be low for some years yet and the expensive bits - electric motors and the batteries - will be manufactured in Germany.

The government said today that all sales of petrol and diesel cars will be stopped by 2040,

So all cars will  have to be electric by then,

The only thing I think needs improving is the charging time, the performance has improved  by leaps and bounds over the last year or so,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 164
Maringer
July 26, 2017, 3:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Batteries are still expensive and relatively heavy as well, Pete. It's not just the charging speed though the Tesla superchargers show what even current battery technology can achieve. Not that they have supercharger stations in the UK because Dale Vince won't let them build any! Edit: I've just seen that they do have a few superchargers now. Didn't realise that they had sorted things out with ecotricity.

We're certainly not too far away, however and there is masses of research into this field into different battery chemistries and packaging and we're almost at the tipping point. It'll be the best part of a decade before they become really commonplace, however.

I have to admit that I'm a bit of an electric car geek though I've yet to own one. Should be able to keep my diesel running for a few years longer so that I can hopefully move straight to an electric car next time I buy.  

When electric cars really do take off (so to speak), it won't be great for mechanics as the electric motors could easily work for decades without any real servicing required and pure electric cars don't have a transmission to worry about either. Just minor servicing will be enough to keep the cars on the road for a very long time indeed, just as long as the batteries hold up. We're probably better off with them in this country as opposed to many others as we don't need to worry too much about extremes of temperature which can damage battery life at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 164
cmackenzie4
July 26, 2017, 6:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
What are the price for these electric cars and will people be able to afford them? I was listening to a debate on the radio earlier and heard a price tag of £50+ grand for some models.

What will happen to lorries and vans who are driving up and down the country on a daily basis and restricted to certain times driving?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 164
grimsby pete
July 26, 2017, 6:15pm

Exile
I can just see somebody putting   solar panels on the roof so the wise man who made his own electric powered car wont have to pay high electric bills for charging his battery.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 164
grimsby pete
July 26, 2017, 6:17pm

Exile
Quoted from cmackenzie4
What are the price for these electric cars and will people be able to afford them? I was listening to a debate on the radio earlier and heard a price tag of £50+ grand for some models.

What will happen to lorries and vans who are driving up and down the country on a daily basis and restricted to certain times driving?

Don't worry Chris by the time 2040 gets here they will be half the price,

BUT

With inflation they will still be £50 grand.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 164
Grim74
July 26, 2017, 9:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
My take on all this is that in order to quell the never ending debate over Europe that has blighted the Tory party for decades, Cameron decided to once and for all put the issue to bed by having a referendum, fully expecting the electorate to back him and stay in the EU. Just like May, he got it massively wrong and a lot of misguided little Englanders, with their xenophobic tendencies decided that we were better off as a sovereign nation standing alone, just like a lot of Tories do, who still hark back to the fifties. They convinced people that we would be better off standing alone and don't need "Johnny Foreigner" in some kind of throwback to the days of empire. A lot of the older generation and a great amount of union jack waving "patriots" jumped all over this idea, not knowing or caring what the actual outcome would be. But hey, we have our country back. A poorer, more dysfunctional country, with less rights for workers will ensue but we are a proud nation again. Only we are not, and i think letting the general public decide our future trade deals and standing in Europe is a disastrous mistake. Most people don't know a good thing when they see it and will eventually see the error they have committed in the name of patriotism and jingoism. There is strength in unity and nothing good ever comes of division.

I don't expect everyone will have this view and i expect it will be challenged by Grim and his cohorts, but this is what i and others think and all the talking in the world won't change my view that we have made a grave mistake. One good thing to come out of all this is that it has mobilised the young, who are right royally pi$$ed off at what has happened and dealt the Tories a blow at the General Election. Let's hope the fookers are taking notice.

Ah the language of a quisling.... spoken like a true anti-British, anti democratic bitter remoaner.... have you no dignity?
How dare you insult millions of your fellow countrymen for daring to be brave to go against the propaganda and vote for an independent sovereign nation, free from the shackles of a failing dictating federal state.

I was raging when I first read your your outrages, spiteful, and nasty comments but I decided to hold back, luckily my iPad survived and now after reading them again Im not even angry, the word disgrace gets banded about all to flippantly these days but in you case you are a true definition.

As for the young being drunk off they must be in meltdown now that Corbyn has been exposed as charlatan  😂😂😂

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 164
Grim74
July 26, 2017, 9:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer
No surprise that Ze Germans have announced that they are going to build their electric Minis in their UK factory as it won't require any new production lines to be built and will keep the 'Britishness' of the brand going. Of course, the initial numbers of electric cars will be low for some years yet and the expensive bits - electric motors and the batteries - will be manufactured in Germany.

So a German company decides it wants to invest post Brexit so are you saying this a positive Brexit story or another despite Brexit? Can't quite decide 🤔

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 164
Maringer
July 26, 2017, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
The new Tesla 3 ought to cost around as much as a low end BMW. Hardly affordable for many, but a big improvement compared to earlier models. And it won't depreciate precipitously in the way that most modern cars do.

Of course, the chances of actually getting one at list price are slim, given the low production levels!

Electric motors themselves aren't that expensive and the power circuitry won't be too expensive when mass produced. If they can sort out the battery situation, we will get them down to the same price as regular, cheaper cars. The batteries remain the problem. Once that has been resolved (which could take a decade), we won't look back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 164
grimsby pete
July 27, 2017, 1:09pm

Exile
Electric cars price will fall just like the coloured TV's did,

If you remember they were very expensive for the first few years,

A 26in one cost me £800,

Last year I bought a 43in for £299,

A bit of difference so if the cars follow the same trend a £50,000 one might be down to £20,000,

The same price as the average car is today but you can pay a lot more if you want a high spec one.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 164
codcheeky
July 27, 2017, 11:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Grim74

Ah the language of a quisling.... spoken like a true anti-British, anti democratic bitter remoaner.... have you no dignity?
How dare you insult millions of your fellow countrymen for daring to be brave to go against the propaganda and vote for an independent sovereign nation, free from the shackles of a failing dictating federal state.

I was raging when I first read your your outrages, spiteful, and nasty comments but I decided to hold back, luckily my iPad survived and now after reading them again Im not even angry, the word disgrace gets banded about all to flippantly these days but in you case you are a true definition.

As for the young being drunk off they must be in meltdown now that Corbyn has been exposed as charlatan  😂😂😂

The Daily Mail printing lies about Corbyn convinces no one.  Desperate stuff which only head in the sand Tories believe is anything but counterproductive, they keep lying and Corbyn keeps getting more popular
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 164
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Politics Thread .

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.