Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bignot sacked
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 180 Guests

Bignot sacked

This thread currently has 51,148 views. Print
29 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
April 10, 2017, 7:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,386
Gold Stars: 149
Shocked... I guess it was true about the players and wouldn't suprise me if what someone has put is true about them going to the board and saying that.

Wow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 287
malkamalka
April 10, 2017, 7:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Not necessarily sacking the Manager - just any decision

Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

So Wenger should have been sacked after 5 months??

Constantly doing well in the Prem must be hard!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 287
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2017, 7:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,983
Gold Stars: 228
Look at from JF's point of view,

Six months in and what has been achieved? Nothing in reality in fact there is a long list of things started or dismantled at a cost as Marcus has spent money on the squad without reducing the wage bill at the other end.  

Attendances are down so it could impact season ticket sales which is the main collateral the club have when they agree an operating overdraft and such contingencies with the bank.

Marcus has discarded experience and a degree of talent and replaced it with inexperience and potential aka "gambles".

We have some money still from the Omar sale so do you give it to MB and let him bring in more "developing players", Gunning's or endless mid field players to play out of position or sit on the bench. Or would you spend a  bit of it on a proven manager if one has become available?

After years of a settled dressing room where any "mood hoovers" where quickly despatched and morale was good the players are unhappy which may mean that we face the prospect of losing Pearson, Collins, Andrew, Macca (possibly) and have little chance of keeping the best "footballer" at the club Vose. If I was JF I'd be asking why MB has not secured these players before now.

So Dis will go and the lads who JF viewed as the "stalwarts" from last season will have all gone - leaving us with zero continuity, just 12 months after winning a Wembley final.  

We have gone backwards on the pitch and in some games looked like a pub team (no disrespect to pub teams) and we have been thumped 5 - 0 on three occasions and surrendered leads in numerous games. Versus the league leaders and our closest geographical rivals.  

Add to that various instances of calling players out in the press, Hendogate, embarrassing gaffs etc... etc...  

So all of the above means that keeping MB could be a risk and one with the prospect of PP actually becoming a reality one that I would want to take.

I'm surprised to say the least that JF has done this but all told when you examine the risk factor of keeping Marcus then you can understand it. Personally he was beginning to irritate the fcuk out of me on and off the pitch.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 287
April 10, 2017, 7:44pm
Guest User
Strongly doubt there ll be a team picked by Mooro and Woods, I really think they have someone ready.

I do wonder if where Fenty went wrong this season was not giving PH what he needed in terms of Budget and Staff. I really think we miss PH's stability, he s a very good Manager.
Reply: 183 - 287
mariner91
April 10, 2017, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from rancido
Although I could see what MB was trying to achieve with his radical approach , unfortunately he was moving too fast in implementing it. As long as we were in with a chance of making the play-offs then any team changes needed to be tempered with the ultimate goal of getting a result ( no pun intended !). I'm sure JF had noticed this and while the feel good factor from getting back in the league was evident then any changes should have been forced and tactical, not experimental. I'm fairly sure that JF has already got somebody lined up and could easily have delayed Bignots' sacking until he was sure of securing somebody. Even if there is nobody waiting in the wings we are in a very strong position to secure somebody of quality , especially now the new ground is becoming more of a reality. Certainly, if we do secure a new manager over the next 2 weeks then it will give him time to assess his squad before the end of the season and decide what is required to move forward. For what it's worth I think MB will make a good manager one day but he needs to be more measured in his approach and realise that a clubs fans might not share his hurried radical approach and they, ultimately, are the ones that matter most.

Could you? Cause he'd been here for five months and I still didn't have a clue really how he wanted us to play. I didn't disagree with clearing out the players he didn't think were up for it and using this season as a springboard for a really good crack at it next season. But to do that you have to actually start implementing a system and style of play. Instead his changes stopped us being solid and having a shape (Hurstism but it was true and goes a long way to making you hard to beat) and it looked like the players didn't know what they were being asked to do, let alone what we could see from the stands. Formations and personnel were changed on a whim and they never really seemed to have a lot of in--depth tactical reasoning behind them, seemed more like they were picked out of a hat. It's alright experimenting but if you're making five or six changes each game you don't allow any understanding to develop and the team will never play cohesively. Particularly when the formation is also regularly being changed and you're shoehorning players into positions they don't play.

If the rumours of players being reluctant to sign again for him is true then would you have trusted him to replace them adequately? Potentially losing Collins, Andrew and Pearson who are three very good players at this level and I'm not sure MB would have brought in the required quality. Whilst there is no doubt Jones is a great signing and Osborne looks promising the other signings are various degrees of average or poor. Asante may come good but the jury is still out.

The biggest worry for me were his interviews. A man who contradicts himself regularly is not one I'd place much faith in. Plenty on here have commented on that and if we could see MB for all his bluster in five minute snippets then you can bet that the players could when they were with him every day. There was little to no fight in the side and that was why we were getting drubbed some weeks. It never seemed like the squad was playing for him. But he didn't help himself by calling the players out in public, he did that only nine days ago. Moaning that players should know their roles but I'd argue that confusion is bound to be rife when you're not sure what position you might be in from one game to the next. Hurst wasn't a perfect manager but he never blamed the players or at least not in public. It's not conductive to generating a good team spirit and gave me the impression that Bignot was arrogant and couldn't accept blame himself.

Normally I'd argue that he deserved to have pre-season at least but given the evidence of his five months in charge, it would have been very risky to allow him to build his own squad completely so quickly especially if we were going to lose our better players. Good luck to him in his career, it is never nice for someone to lose their job but I feel we've dodged a bullet on this one. Just hope the board appoint the right manager to take us forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 287
Vance Warner
April 10, 2017, 7:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,814
Gold Stars: 105
Can't see how anyone comes out of this looking good. The 'board' have made another failed appointment, I dread to think who we'll get next. Allegedly the players have shown that they will spit their dummy out if they don't like their manager or aren't in the team. This goes some way to explaining the shambolic collapses over the last few months. Finally MB has a sacking on his CV and has to try to rebuild his reputation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 287
rancido
April 10, 2017, 7:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,607
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 935
Strongly doubt there ll be a team picked by Mooro and Woods, I really think they have someone ready.

I do wonder if where Fenty went wrong this season was not giving PH what he needed in terms of Budget and Staff. I really think we miss PH's stability, he s a very good Manager.

Do you know what budget PH was given and if it met his expectations? If not then what you are saying is pure speculation.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 287
April 10, 2017, 7:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

Do you know what budget PH was given and if it met his expectations? If not then what you are saying is pure speculation.

I d have thought it was understood that something prefixed by "I wonder" was indeed speculation... but I ll explain.. the reason behind my budget speculation was that there was an issue with hiring a s and c coach which either comes down to not finding the right guy, or the chairman refusing to fork out for it..
Reply: 187 - 287
Bignic69
April 10, 2017, 8:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from rancido
Although I could see what MB was trying to achieve with his radical approach , unfortunately he was moving too fast in implementing it. As long as we were in with a chance of making the play-offs then any team changes needed to be tempered with the ultimate goal of getting a result ( no pun intended !). I'm sure JF had noticed this and while the feel good factor from getting back in the league was evident then any changes should have been forced and tactical, not experimental. I'm fairly sure that JF has already got somebody lined up and could easily have delayed Bignots' sacking until he was sure of securing somebody. Even if there is nobody waiting in the wings we are in a very strong position to secure somebody of quality , especially now the new ground is becoming more of a reality. Certainly, if we do secure a new manager over the next 2 weeks then it will give him time to assess his squad before the end of the season and decide what is required to move forward. For what it's worth I think MB will make a good manager one day but he needs to be more measured in his approach and realise that a clubs fans might not share his hurried radical approach and they, ultimately, are the ones that matter most.

What was he trying to achieve? He chopped and changed that often i'm not sure he knew what he was trying to achieve.
Genuine question because it beats me!

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 287
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2017, 8:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,983
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from mariner91

Could you? Cause he'd been here for five months and I still didn't have a clue really how he wanted us to play. I didn't disagree with clearing out the players he didn't think were up for it and using this season as a springboard for a really good crack at it next season. But to do that you have to actually start implementing a system and style of play. Instead his changes stopped us being solid and having a shape (Hurstism but it was true and goes a long way to making you hard to beat) and it looked like the players didn't know what they were being asked to do, let alone what we could see from the stands. Formations and personnel were changed on a whim and they never really seemed to have a lot of in--depth tactical reasoning behind them, seemed more like they were picked out of a hat. It's alright experimenting but if you're making five or six changes each game you don't allow any understanding to develop and the team will never play cohesively. Particularly when the formation is also regularly being changed and you're shoehorning players into positions they don't play.

If the rumours of players being reluctant to sign again for him is true then would you have trusted him to replace them adequately? Potentially losing Collins, Andrew and Pearson who are three very good players at this level and I'm not sure MB would have brought in the required quality. Whilst there is no doubt Jones is a great signing and Osborne looks promising the other signings are various degrees of average or poor. Asante may come good but the jury is still out.

The biggest worry for me were his interviews. A man who contradicts himself regularly is not one I'd place much faith in. Plenty on here have commented on that and if we could see MB for all his bluster in five minute snippets then you can bet that the players could when they were with him every day. There was little to no fight in the side and that was why we were getting drubbed some weeks. It never seemed like the squad was playing for him. But he didn't help himself by calling the players out in public, he did that only nine days ago. Moaning that players should know their roles but I'd argue that confusion is bound to be rife when you're not sure what position you might be in from one game to the next. Hurst wasn't a perfect manager but he never blamed the players or at least not in public. It's not conductive to generating a good team spirit and gave me the impression that Bignot was arrogant and couldn't accept blame himself.

Normally I'd argue that he deserved to have pre-season at least but given the evidence of his five months in charge, it would have been very risky to allow him to build his own squad completely so quickly especially if we were going to lose our better players. Good luck to him in his career, it is never nice for someone to lose their job but I feel we've dodged a bullet on this one. Just hope the board appoint the right manager to take us forward.

What 91 said...................and if Rancido could see what MB was doing maybe he should have told him because after the Donny game I for one thought he did not have a clue.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 287
29 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bignot sacked

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.