Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 40,046 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
July 2, 2016, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,970
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Maringer
Ah, you mean the broadsheet which has called on it's readers to vote for the LibDems in the past two elections and has spent months posting endless disingenuous hit pieces against the Labour Party leader? That one?

The LibDems certainly haven't been very lefty over the past 6 or so years and enabled the Tories to wreak havoc in the last parliament.

This is the Lib Dems who are now trading on the position that they'll apply for Britain to rejoin the EU if elected, which of course, means begging the bureaucrats to let us back in, waiting at the back of the queue and most importantly, joining the Eurozone (which is going very well isn't it) and taking the Euro as currency. Good Luck with getting that one past the British public Mr Farron.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 280 - 356
ginnywings
July 17, 2016, 10:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I'm already starting to feel the effects of this decision. A company i use to buy tools and machinery from have withdrawn all the offers they had on a brand of machinery from Switzerland and have raised prices by 9%. This is happening with other brands too and they predict they could be as high as 20% dearer by next summer. It's happening with timber too and will put my overheads up considerably. I have a fixed price contract with a customer and am having to bear the extra cost. Cheers!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 281 - 356
Grim74
July 17, 2016, 11:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm already starting to feel the effects of this decision. A company i use to buy tools and machinery from have withdrawn all the offers they had on a brand of machinery from Switzerland and have raised prices by 9%. This is happening with other brands too and they predict they could be as high as 20% dearer by next summer. It's happening with timber too and will put my overheads up considerably. I have a fixed price contract with a customer and am having to bear the extra cost. Cheers!

Switzerland is not even in the EU sounds like they are just profiteering after the decision, so shop elsewhere that's the beauty of Capitalism and think about the bigger picture and stop bleating, most people are accepting the correct decision now and getting on with it, in a couple of years this country will be flourishing.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 282 - 356
fishyfanny
July 17, 2016, 11:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.88
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
I don't think the "we want our country back" brigade really thought through the implications of what they were voting for.

I did read on the BBC news website though, that the government have had requests for trade deals from several non EU countries, so hopefully good things will come of this. Doesn't help you in the short term though Ginnywings, and I hope things get better for you sooner rather than later!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 283 - 356
ginnywings
July 18, 2016, 1:24am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grim74

Switzerland is not even in the EU sounds like they are just profiteering after the decision, so shop elsewhere that's the beauty of Capitalism and think about the bigger picture and stop bleating, most people are accepting the correct decision now and getting on with it, in a couple of years this country will be flourishing.

Cheers for the advice and letting me know Switzerland is not in the EU as i had absolutely no idea. I shall now stop bleating and happily stump up the extra cash, safe in the knowledge that the "correct decision" was made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 284 - 356
Marinerz93
July 18, 2016, 1:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from ginnywings

What company is this and what tools and machinery are you talking about?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 285 - 356
Maringer
July 18, 2016, 7:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,625
Gold Stars: 185
Bear in mind that the pound has devalued around 10 percent against the Swiss Franc since the referendum. That's ginny's increase in costs explained away straight off.

As has been noted in the past, the UK has been importing lots of hardware/tools for many years now as we don't manufacture things in the way we once did. If you can only buy certain things from European manufacturers, you'll have to continue to do so, regardless of the cost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 286 - 356
ginnywings
July 18, 2016, 9:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
http://brodiestimber.co.uk/news/important-jet-machinery-promotions-update-july-2016/

I was about to invest in a new table saw from these people. They are owned by the Walter Meier Group based in Zurich. They are not the only company doing this and are not profiteering as Grim states with his usual lack of knowledge. They sell a lot of machinery in this country and don't want to raise prices to their own detriment.

I also buy a lot of Birch plywood which comes from the Baltic states and have been told that once this years production comes through the market, the prices will probably start rising and it's already an expensive item. I buy powdered paint from America too which may well go the same way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 287 - 356
Marinerz93
July 18, 2016, 10:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from ginnywings
http://brodiestimber.co.uk/news/important-jet-machinery-promotions-update-july-2016/

I was about to invest in a new table saw from these people. They are owned by the Walter Meier Group based in Zurich. They are not the only company doing this and are not profiteering as Grim states with his usual lack of knowledge. They sell a lot of machinery in this country and don't want to raise prices to their own detriment.

I also buy a lot of Birch plywood which comes from the Baltic states and have been told that once this years production comes through the market, the prices will probably start rising and it's already an expensive item. I buy powdered paint from America too which may well go the same way.

What price were you looking at for the table saw, jet table saw looks good but sawstop have a better rating so it would interesting what price range you are looking at.

As for tools, I find the market is becoming more level when it comes to gas and electrical tools, so it might be a case of going to a tools fair when you get chance or going online to get either what you want trialing other woodworking tools. I know as a gas and electrical engineer that people prefer the tools that suit them, fit nicely in the hand and give you a better grip. Sometimes you have to sacrifice that cosmetic look for something more practical.

It is a consumers market, there are deals out there and you should always shop around for the best deals offers, you could always ask for discount / free delivery. By not selling the tools, machinery and other products at a competitive price these companies are hurting themselves.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 288 - 356
ginnywings
July 18, 2016, 10:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
I'd already done all my research and Jet are the best for the money, as attested by many people on a woodwork group i'm a member of. Not heard of sawstop but the point is that most of the better machinery producers are not British, so the prices are going to be higher whatever way i go. Another saw i was looking at has just risen from £739.00 to £810.00 in the last week. They are probably made in China or similar and re-badged over here.

Tools and machinery are items not purchased very often and the rises are a one off hit. It's the other stuff like plywood and sundries that are going to have the long term impact on me if prices go up and stay up.

Some people i know in the industry are already reporting price rises across the board of between 5% and 13% on purchases, depending on what they are buying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 289 - 356
36 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.