Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 28 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 39,987 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
Chrisblor
July 26, 2016, 12:47pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,790
Gold Stars: 234
Would like to hear the reasons behind anyone giving my previous post a cross. What is your argument for that?

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 330 - 356
barralad
July 26, 2016, 1:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Chrisblor
Would like to hear the reasons behind anyone giving my previous post a cross. What is your argument for that?

Sadly I fear you are in for a long wait for a reply. Unless of course someone wants to take you to task for "running down our great country".  Deeply worrying times...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 331 - 356
Marinerz93
July 26, 2016, 7:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Chrisblor

I work in a University (a prestigious, highly ranked, Russell Group member before you start suggesting all we offer is BA Media Studies degrees taught by lazy left-wing 'academics'). Since the referendum result our Vice Chancellor has sent a number of worrying e-mails to staff suggesting the University is now in a precarious financial position, has recently lost out on funding for EU supported research projects due to the uncertainty we now face, and has hinted at redundancies as a method to reduce costs. For reference, the following articles offer further detail on how Brexit has already negatively impacted the University sector:

Erasmus scheme (a popular student exchange programme across European universities) may exclude British students after Brexit

Manchester warns funding for 'wonder material' graphene at risk after Brexit

UK scientists dropped from EU projects because of post-Brexit funding fears

Just wondering how all this allays with your idea that we're better off outside of the EU. For reference, Universities currently contribute 2.8% of the UK's GDP, and International Students who will mostly be affected by Brexit presently provide a net benefit of £2.3 billion to our economy each year (and before you start complaining about them supposedly using our public services - this figure already accounts for that cost). How does sabotaging all this make us better off as a country?

What are the going wages for professors and the like. My daughter has just completed a psychology degree and we know the cost will be with her for decades. Her professor did next to nothing and offered or gave minimal support. There seems to be a lot of money going into Universities.

EU funding shouldn't drop off until we have left the EU when it has already been stated on the debates that money would be available once we have left.

Maybe find out how the Scots can get free degrees and others on the continent and work towards that. How did we ever get by before the EU.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 332 - 356
Grim74
July 26, 2016, 7:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Chrisblor

I work in a University (a prestigious, highly ranked, Russell Group member before you start suggesting all we offer is BA Media Studies degrees taught by lazy left-wing 'academics'). Since the referendum result our Vice Chancellor has sent a number of worrying e-mails to staff suggesting the University is now in a precarious financial position, has recently lost out on funding for EU supported research projects due to the uncertainty we now face, and has hinted at redundancies as a method to reduce costs. For reference, the following articles offer further detail on how Brexit has already negatively impacted the University sector:

Erasmus scheme (a popular student exchange programme across European universities) may exclude British students after Brexit

Just wondering how all this allays with your idea that we're better off outside of the EU. For reference, Universities currently contribute 2.8% of the UK's GDP, and International Students who will mostly be affected by Brexit presently provide a net benefit of £2.3 billion to our economy each year (and before you start complaining about them supposedly using our public services - this figure already accounts for that cost). How does sabotaging all this make us better off as a country?

Are you trying to wind me up with links to the Guardian???  Thank social media that that scare mongering, liberal lefty, hand wringing, pandering piece of excrement rag is going out of business.

Foreign students are cueing up to get to our university's in fact you could double the fees and they would still be cueing up what's the problem?

And finally how many times..... EU funded means it's not the EU's money!  it's our bloody money to start with.

I would suggest you tell your brain washing libtard vice chancellor to stop spouting excrement and embrace the joy of being free from a corrupt federal state,  Brexit means Brexit.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 333 - 356
Maringer
July 26, 2016, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
John, is that you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 334 - 356
Rodley Mariner
July 27, 2016, 6:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Grim74

Are you trying to wind me up with links to the Guardian???  Thank social media that that scare mongering, liberal lefty, hand wringing, pandering piece of excrement rag is going out of business.

Foreign students are cueing up to get to our university's in fact you could double the fees and they would still be cueing up what's the problem?

And finally how many times..... EU funded means it's not the EU's money!  it's our bloody money to start with.

I would suggest you tell your brain washing libtard vice chancellor to stop spouting excrement and embrace the joy of being free from a corrupt federal state,  Brexit means Brexit.

Guardian - check
Liberal lefty - check
Hand-wringing - check
Libtard - check

A Grim74 bigot bingo full house!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 335 - 356
Chrisblor
July 27, 2016, 11:09am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

All three of the articles I posted offer tangible examples of how Brexit has already begun to impact the University sector. You can't handwave the effects away simply because they're published in newspaper that doesn't follow your own political allegiance. As someone who works directly with International Students I can assure you that they certainly aren't 'cueing up' to study here and much like domestic students they are sensitive to increases in fees. In recent years the Government has increased the costs and financial requirements for obtaining a student visa, and now mandates an additional 'Immigration Health Surcharge' payment of £150 a year before letting non-EU students into the country. The last couple of years have seen overall non-EU student application figures stagnate as the growth in Chinese applicants year on year has started to stall, and numbers coming to study here from India have totally collapsed by well over 50% since 2011 (source). Before the referendum Universities were already reporting a combined fall of 1% in non-EU applications (source), and anecdotally within my own institution we've noticed a further drop off in applications compared to last year since the Brexit result was confirmed.

This is all worrying because the numbers of students going abroad across the whole globe is increasing each year. Competitor nations such as Australia, Canada and the USA are taking proactive steps (like simplifying student visa requirements) to make it easier for overseas students to come and study in their Universities. All of those countries are seeing continued growth in International student recruitment, while domestically we're seeing applications from overseas applicants stagnate. Brexit will clearly further exacerbate this situation which is why our Vice Chancellor has started warning of cuts to staff costs. Just now I've found that two of my co-workers are being let go at the end of September - the first time we've ever not renewed fixed term contracts in the 5 years I've worked here. They're both hard-working and incredibly competent colleagues - losing them due to the financial uncertainty we face as a result of Brexit is distressing, and will make my own role more challenging. I'm sure they'll be delighted if I tell them the VC was 'spouting excrement' now that they're facing the jobcentre.

It's also farcical that you're still parroting that rubbish about the money we're currently sending to the EU being repurposed for domestic spending. Farage and Boris rowed back on most of those claims within hours of the Brexit result being announced - do you really think science and research funding is going to be high up the spending list of an increasingly austere Conservative Government? Give me a break - you're an utter clown.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 336 - 356
Chrisblor
July 27, 2016, 11:26am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

What are the going wages for professors and the like. My daughter has just completed a psychology degree and we know the cost will be with her for decades. Her professor did next to nothing and offered or gave minimal support. There seems to be a lot of money going into Universities.

EU funding shouldn't drop off until we have left the EU when it has already been stated on the debates that money would be available once we have left.

Maybe find out how the Scots can get free degrees and others on the continent and work towards that. How did we ever get by before the EU.

EU funding is already dropping off because much of that funding is offered for long-term projects and understandably partner institutions in Europe are unwilling to work with researchers from UK Universities since it could result in a situation where funding is reduced or lost once we boot ourselves out of the EU.

In my own institution the starting Professorial salary is about £57k, however not all undergraduate modules are delivered by professors as the majority of their roles are research based. Most teaching at undergrad level is delivered by 'Lecturers' (40k a year), 'Teaching Associates' (29k a year) and even PhD students on casual contracts (£10 an hour or so). Across the University sector we've seen a real terms decline in pay of 14.5% since 2009, so while you might see headlines about Vice Chancellors receiving giant pay rises, that's certainly not the case for the majority of professional and academic staff responsible for teaching and looking after university students. In terms of teaching, students at Universities are expected to carry out their own independent learning. Professors and other teaching staff are not there to promote rote learning for students to regurgitate in exams - they are there to guide students through the course and provide office hours to assist students who need extra support.

Ire about 'value for money' due to the scandalous increase in fees over the last two decades should be directed towards the political establishment (Labour, Tories & Lib Dems), not Universities, since they're the ones responsible for pulling up the free Higher Education ladder.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 337 - 356
Chrisblor
July 27, 2016, 11:28am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
And again to the red-cross brigade, please at least offer a response to my detailed and sourced posts if you find something about them distasteful. I'm VERY interested to hear what you think is so wrong about what I've written.

As a final point, if anyone's that bothered about where the funding for our Universities comes from you can take a look as this very recently released Universities UK report which contains lots of easy to understand infographics - http://www.universitiesuk.ac.u.....unding-explained.pdf

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 338 - 356
arryarryarry
July 27, 2016, 11:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Chrisblor

I would be interested to know how you have lost out to EU funding when we will still be members of the EU for at least two more years.
Private Message
Reply: 339 - 356
36 Pages Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.