Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Hurst Out!

This thread currently has 41,100 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Jaws
February 21, 2016, 4:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
How much does it cost to get rid of him - sure there's enough people out there to crowdfund it!
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 218
headingly_mariner
February 21, 2016, 4:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,358
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Bigdog
Was just looking through a list of available managers just in case Mr Fenty pulls the trigger. No preference myself. There's a bit of talent out there we could possibly attract as a well supported club hunting for promotion rather than a club fighting relegation. One or two may need the board to invest a little more in the most important position at our football club. I just don't subscribe to the theory that we can't get better than Hurst. Nine promotion spots gone in the past four and a half seasons. Not recommendations from me but maybe a list worth discussing..

Neil Redfearn
Steve Cotterill
Chris Powell
Neil Adams
Dave Jones
Mark Robins
Mark Cooper
Gary Megson
Ronnie Moore
Richard Money

Your thoughts?

It's hardly an inspiring list, some of them haven't managed in years. I wouldn't fancy a costly gamble on one of them at this time in the season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 218
mariner2000
February 21, 2016, 4:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Jaws
How much does it cost to get rid of him - sure there's enough people out there to crowdfund it!

It shouldn't cost much at all he is only on a rolling contract
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 92 - 218
jonnyboy82
February 21, 2016, 5:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It's hardly an inspiring list, some of them haven't managed in years. I wouldn't fancy a costly gamble on one of them at this time in the season.

Why not ?

Im not saying any of them but if we are going down the inspiring route paul hurst aint exactly the man is he ?

Our last playoff attempts have all ended in failure and he has a 0% success rate in terms of winning a trophy or promotion at grimsby town so a change might be exactly what we and the players need right now.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 218
Maringer
February 21, 2016, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That's just picking stats to suit. Why 12 games? I predict that after 3 more bad results it'll be "we've won 8 out of 15. That's not bad."

OK, then, how about this?

After 32 games, we're 5 points clear of 4th place with a game (or games) in hand and a much superior goal difference to any of the teams below us. Effectively 6 points clear in 3rd place. We're clearly doomed. Yeesh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 218
HertsGTFC
February 21, 2016, 5:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,937
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog
Was just looking through a list of available managers just in case Mr Fenty pulls the trigger. No preference myself. There's a bit of talent out there we could possibly attract as a well supported club hunting for promotion rather than a club fighting relegation. One or two may need the board to invest a little more in the most important position at our football club. I just don't subscribe to the theory that we can't get better than Hurst. Nine promotion spots gone in the past four and a half seasons. Not recommendations from me but maybe a list worth discussing..

Neil Redfearn [/b]Should be snapped up by an academy somewhere, did a good with Leeds youngsters
Steve Cotterill Wouldn't come when we where in the FL why now?
Chris Powell Would he move for us, who knows possibly earning more as a PT pundit
Neil Adams Would be interesting
Dave Jones If he still had the hunger he would do a good job
Mark Robins Scunny players saying in the week he made it too complicated
Mark Cooper Don't know much about him
Gary Megson Feels like he's been out to long
Ronnie Moore Would bring some energy
Richard Money[b]
Don't think he comes across too well but "has" done it before

Your thoughts?

Good list thank for putting together.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 218
monkeyboy
February 21, 2016, 6:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
The old one? Buckely till the end of the season? knows all the players and is proven tacticaly.
Then regardless what happens it gives the club a few months to mull over new managers.

Just a thought
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 218
rancido
February 21, 2016, 7:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,569
Gold Stars: 96

I take your point, but the unexpected happens so quickly in football and the owner should be ready for it. A month ago we were ticking over nicely, and I think that suits Fenty perfectly, but as soon as the going gets a bit tougher he is unable to be decisive.

I think the point about the difficulty in attracting a new manager is a moot point. It cannot be  because of our history, as that is second to none. It cannot be  about the support we are able to attract as that is self evident. It cannot be about our potential as we have played at a higher level for a lot of the time than teams like Swansea and Bournemouth who  both had crowds similar to ours. It cannot be the geographical location - in location terms I would rather manage Town than Carlisle or Exeter.

So what is it? Budget and wages? The owners lack of vison/ambition? The feeling that we are a big club in name only and don't have the blueprint to be great again? Who knows.

In fairness it is now difficult for Hurst and Fenty. If we stick or twist and it doesn't work they had better be ready for some pelters coming their way.

The point I was trying to make was that if we got turned down by more suitable managers when we had only just dropped to this level then why should it be any different now 5 seasons down the line? All the points you mentioned about fan base, potential and location were as relevant then as they are now and we still had to settle for second best then.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 218
Jaws
February 21, 2016, 10:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from monkeyboy
The old one? Buckely till the end of the season? knows all the players and is proven tacticaly.
Then regardless what happens it gives the club a few months to mull over new managers.

Just a thought

He wouldn't want it at his age. 8 years since he's managed a senior side, and that was us!
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 218
chaos33
February 21, 2016, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
He retired from management years ago FFS.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 218
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!

Thread Rating

There have been 6 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.