Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

Hurst Out!

This thread currently has 41,105 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2016, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner

The best post I've seen arguing for a change. Nice to see a well constructed argument which doesn't show a personal dislike of Hurst or pour scorn on anyone with a different point of view.

If you look carefully through the majority of posts, I think you'll find that most have said that he's a likeable enough guy, just not a winner or up to delivering what this club desperately needs.
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 218
HertsGTFC
February 22, 2016, 9:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog
It is admirable to believe that Hurst should have until the end of the season, but I think the writing is on the wall for everyone to see. He's lost the dressing room and lost the majority support of fans. We have enough points in hand to give a new manager a chance to get us promoted. Everything now seems so stale.

Where the "give Hurst until the end of the season" argument falls down is the following scenario. If we do not get promoted and he gets the sack where will that leave us? Very few players left on contract, the rest, free agents. During the time it will take to appoint a new manager our best players will have moved on and will shy away from any uncertainty. If we get a new manager in now, at least the players will be offered some continuity. IF Fenty does choose well then I don't think the new manager will have any less of a chance than Hurst to get us promoted. A freshen up is what we and the players need. A new manager may also pull a couple of gems in the loan market off, players he knows well and trusts.

I'm not anti- Hurst, even though I think he's always been uninspiring and one dimensional.  I'm just realistically and passionately pro-GTFC and don't think Hurst will ever deliver what we desperately need. A win against Woking won't change our long term future. It will delay our club's best interests.

I can just foresee the situation in June where we have no manager and only two or three players if Fenty doesn't act now.

Possibly................. But if a new manager came in and did not achieve promotion where would that leave us with regard to building for another push next year? and how credible would a new manager look to prospective signings if he blew a "points cushion" and we failed, would that attract better players than we have now. This could easily happen if the players don't warm to a new guy.

IMO I don't think PH has what it takes but a change before the end of the season could be counter productive. A win against Woking won't change our long term future but a defeat against Halifax at this stage has not changed it either.

Also realistically who would we get, some names bandied about yesterday like Cottrell. Neil Redfearn, Chris Powell, Ronnie Moore, Mark Robins etc... why would they come here? Worth remembering if they are currently being paid their old salary (usually it's monthly rather than a lump sum) after being sacked as soon as they get another job that stops, would you be in a hurry to earn less money?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 218
DocTower
February 22, 2016, 10:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
A lot depends on tomorrow night , win , it will gloss over the cracks , but things have now come to a head . Things have been said in anger and in haste which have exasperated the whole situation .  Time to re evaluate and make a decision stick or twist , the devil you know or the devil you don't .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 218
heppy88
February 22, 2016, 10:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Bigdog
It is admirable to believe that Hurst should have until the end of the season, but I think the writing is on the wall for everyone to see. He's lost the dressing room and lost the majority support of fans. We have enough points in hand to give a new manager a chance to get us promoted. Everything now seems so stale.

Where the "give Hurst until the end of the season" argument falls down is the following scenario. If we do not get promoted and he gets the sack where will that leave us? Very few players left on contract, the rest, free agents. During the time it will take to appoint a new manager our best players will have moved on and will shy away from any uncertainty. If we get a new manager in now, at least the players will be offered some continuity. IF Fenty does choose well then I don't think the new manager will have any less of a chance than Hurst to get us promoted. A freshen up is what we and the players need. A new manager may also pull a couple of gems in the loan market off, players he knows well and trusts.

I'm not anti- Hurst, even though I think he's always been uninspiring and one dimensional.  I'm just realistically and passionately pro-GTFC and don't think Hurst will ever deliver what we desperately need. A win against Woking won't change our long term future. It will delay our club's best interests.

I can just foresee the situation in June where we have no manager and only two or three players if Fenty doesn't act now.

Good, common sense post. I honestly believe the time is right now to make the change, for all the reasons you suggest. But unfortunately I think the board will still stick with him until the end of the season. Only a few weeks ago Mr Mullen was singing his praises. His attitude and professionalism around the club is probably first rate. But the only question that really matters is: can he get this club promoted? Nothing else matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 218
arryarryarry
February 22, 2016, 11:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Possibly................. But if a new manager came in and did not achieve promotion where would that leave us with regard to building for another push next year? and how credible would a new manager look to prospective signings if he blew a "points cushion" and we failed, would that attract better players than we have now. This could easily happen if the players don't warm to a new guy.

IMO I don't think PH has what it takes but a change before the end of the season could be counter productive. A win against Woking won't change our long term future but a defeat against Halifax at this stage has not changed it either.

Also realistically who would we get, some names bandied about yesterday like Cottrell. Neil Redfearn, Chris Powell, Ronnie Moore, Mark Robins etc... why would they come here? Worth remembering if they are currently being paid their old salary (usually it's monthly rather than a lump sum) after being sacked as soon as they get another job that stops, would you be in a hurry to earn less money?

The problem is if we don't go up then it is either one of two things or a combination of both. Either the players aren't good enough or the manager isn't good enough or both.

Either way there would have to be a big change for the start of next season if we don't go up.

As regards who would come in as manager, my understanding is that for the last few times we advertised the post there were at least 50 applicants each time so for a club the size of Grimsby I'm sure there are plenty who would relish managing us.

Let's not forget that Scott and Hurst were 3rd choice.

Let us also hope that all this speculation is meaningless and that we manage to achieve our goal of getting back into the Football League.
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 218
barralad
February 22, 2016, 11:31pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry

The problem is if we don't go up then it is either one of two things or a combination of both. Either the players aren't good enough or the manager isn't good enough or both.

Either way there would have to be a big change for the start of next season if we don't go up.

As regards who would come in as manager, my understanding is that for the last few times we advertised the post there were at least 50 applicants each time so for a club the size of Grimsby I'm sure there are plenty who would relish managing us.

Let's not forget that Scott and Hurst were 3rd choice.

Let us also hope that all this speculation is meaningless and that we manage to achieve our goal of getting back into the Football League.

Yeah but two of them at least were spurious. One was from my mate and one from another mates brother who only has about 10% vision!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 218
ginnywings
February 22, 2016, 11:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

Yeah but two of them at least were spurious. One was from my mate and one from another mates brother who only has about 10% vision!

Is he still interested?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 218
gaz57
February 23, 2016, 12:03am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from barralad

By any chance were their names Scott and Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 218
KingstonMariner
February 23, 2016, 12:31am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer

OK, then, how about this?

After 32 games, we're 5 points clear of 4th place with a game (or games) in hand and a much superior goal difference to any of the teams below us. Effectively 6 points clear in 3rd place. We're clearly doomed. Yeesh.

That's better. As a stat for saying, we're gonna get in the play offs. If you're happy with that good.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 218
KingstonMariner
February 23, 2016, 12:35am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner_09
Amazing how quickly it turns around. 6 weeks ago we were all sweating about Hurst going to Notts County. Most of us were desperate for him to stay!

Speak for yourself.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 218
22 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!

Thread Rating

There have been 6 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.