Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Hurst Out!

This thread currently has 40,985 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
April 2, 2016, 8:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115

The way I see it we have a couple of options.

We can sit back and let the season meander to its conclusion (good or bad)

Or we could (if I was Fenty) have a meeting with the manager and have a frank discussion about what is going on (there is obviously something not quite right behind the scenes)

If that meeting goes badly, we could remove Hurst now and put Doig in charge for the remaining games. Having seen the players close up he might be able to fit our best players into a unit to rediscover our form and give the fans some hope to make and win the play offs.

It would be a gamble and some would say harsh on Hurst, but professional football is a harsh business. A few weeks ago I would say certainly give Hurst till the end of the season, but he seems to be a manger under pressure who cannot see the woods for the trees.

I looked at the league table tonight and was absolutely shocked to see how close the pack was.  Where did they come from ? We agree on a lot of things but we cant really sack the manager at this stage of the season. We are most likely going to be in play offs and have reached Wembley. If we sack him now who do we get, we surely can,t put Doig in charge,He,ll have the same thoughts and tactics as his mentor.All we can do is keep our fingers crossed for 2 Wembley victories. If this does happen it will be upto J.F. as to what happens next season If he kept him on it would upset a lot of fans  but if he sacked him we would see him on the telly every night trying to explain why he got rid of a promoted Trophy winning team manager. If you want Hurst out you have got to hope that we win sweet f*ck all   THE CHOICE IS YOURS !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 218
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 2, 2016, 8:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer

I looked at the league table tonight and was absolutely shocked to see how close the pack was.  Where did they come from ? We agree on a lot of things but we cant really sack the manager at this stage of the season. We are most likely going to be in play offs and have reached Wembley. If we sack him now who do we get, we surely can,t put Doig in charge,He,ll have the same thoughts and tactics as his mentor.All we can do is keep our fingers crossed for 2 Wembley victories. If this does happen it will be upto J.F. as to what happens next season If he kept him on it would upset a lot of fans  but if he sacked him we would see him on the telly every night trying to explain why he got rid of a promoted Trophy winning team manager. If you want Hurst out you have got to hope that we win sweet f*ck all   THE CHOICE IS YOURS !!

Not necessarily. There have been examples at BP where an assistant has taken over who has a different personality to the previous boss and has done well. George Kerr was very different to John Newman, Dave Booth was definitely different to George Kerr, Paul Groves was very different to Lenny Lawrence. There is no reason to think Doig is a Hurst clone, an assistant has to do as he is told, like it or not.

I'm not saying he would be an ideal manager. We really have needed a positive motivator for the crucial games for a long time. I don't know if Doig could be that man. However,  if the non-chairman is serious about promotion he should be serious about considering a radical action. But thinking outside the box is not his strongpoint is it?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 218
golfer
April 2, 2016, 8:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115

Not necessarily. There have been examples at BP where an assistant has taken over who has a different personality to the previous boss and has done well. George Kerr was very different to John Newman, Dave Booth was definitely different to George Kerr, Paul Groves was very different to Lenny Lawrence. There is no reason to think Doig is a Hurst clone, an assistant has to do as he is told, like it or not.

I'm not saying he would be an ideal manager. We really have needed a positive motivator for the crucial games for a long time. I don't know if Doig could be that man. However,  if the non-chairman is serious about promotion he should be serious about considering a radical action. But thinking outside the box is not his strongpoint is it?

I can see where you are coming from but I still wouldn,t like to take a chance on Doig this late in the season--all we can do is sit back and hope.   P.S.  I thought Rafferty,s 6th goal from a Johnny Scott centre in that lincs Cup thrashing of Lincoln was his best ever header.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 218
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 2, 2016, 8:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer

I can see where you are coming from but I still wouldn,t like to take a chance on Doig this late in the season--all we can do is sit back and hope.   P.S.  I thought Rafferty,s 6th goal from a Johnny Scott centre in that lincs Cup thrashing of Lincoln was his best ever header.  

I think it is never going to happen anyway.

There is a picture in the GT archives somewhere of Ron practicing his heading with a ball suspended on string behind the Osmond Stand. He practiced his "hang in the air" technique on it by raising the ball a bit at a time. Sadly I never saw the Lincs Cup sixer. The best I saw was again from a Johnny Scott centre but against Southampton.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 218
KingstonMariner
April 2, 2016, 10:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
People have been saying all season "now's not the time to get rid". When is? When does taking a risk become less risky than "not taking a risk"?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 218
nightrider
April 2, 2016, 10:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Whoever takes over, they'll have a job on there hands to beat 3rd place....

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 218
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2016, 10:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from golfer

Agree, To expect him to be moved on now is unrealistic and bloody minded to say the least. As for Doig as a replacement, if nothing else has been proved in Paul Hurst time at the club and that is that we possibly need experience and tried and tested rather than certificates e.g. Martin Allen, Jon Still, Richard Money, Justin Edinburgh etc... even Paul Cox could be interesting.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 218
KingstonMariner
April 2, 2016, 11:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from nightrider
Whoever takes over, they'll have a job on there hands to beat 3rd place....

That's the kind of positivity we need! Never say die eh?! Up and at em. Up and at em!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 218
mariner91
April 2, 2016, 11:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260

I think it is never going to happen anyway.

There is a picture in the GT archives somewhere of Ron practicing his heading with a ball suspended on string behind the Osmond Stand. He practiced his "hang in the air" technique on it by raising the ball a bit at a time. Sadly I never saw the Lincs Cup sixer. The best I saw was again from a Johnny Scott centre but against Southampton.

That is fantastic  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 218
Rik e B
April 3, 2016, 12:14am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Fingers crossed, grin and bear it for the run in and for gods sake let's not let negative vitriol destroy the togetherness between squad and fan's at this crucial time.

Barring last Season to a degree we always seem to end up with a kind of despondent downbeat atmosphere around the place when we fail to win title and
cruise into playoffs... -when very much everything is still to play for!

I understand the frustrations; a case of 'yet again' but this poisonous feeling could be self-perpetuating. Great if you want to crow from the rooftops ''I told you so'', not so great towards actually achieving our objective (despite obvious misgivings).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 218
22 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!

Thread Rating

There have been 6 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.