Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

Hurst Out!

This thread currently has 41,106 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
February 20, 2016, 10:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Peter if john fenty respects this club and our fans he will thank paul for his effort and say this is were we part company.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 218
big al
February 21, 2016, 11:13am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from monkeyboy
3-0 Down to Halifax, bloody embarasing. Sorry but tactically inept.

Think he was tactically wrong but people need to recognise how badly the players performed yesterday. There were schoolboy errors every few seconds and simply clueless displays by almost everyone.

On a bad day, with no training and no team talk we should have brushed HFx aside.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 218
big al
February 21, 2016, 11:15am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from Grim74
Sack him get rid bring someone in NOW who can assess the squad and build for next season.

So we are saying goodbye to the play-offs and going up this year? The team that played yesterday are going nowhere. The team that played them at home are going back to the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 218
rancido
February 21, 2016, 11:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96

I don't think Fenty  will have learned anything from his past mistakes. If Hurst was sacked (unlikely) or resigned, there will be no acting quickly or decisively.

He will ask for applications, which will take weeks and then make the wrong choice anyway.

Other owners would have all these possible outcomes in mind, and have a man in mind that would fit the bill, but I have no faith in Fenty whatsoever.

I was hoping against hope that Hurst would take us up, simply to avoid Fenty having to make any decisions but even that hope is receding.

I don't know whats gone wrong in the last month, as we seemed to have a really close knit team, but we better get it sorted asap to get into those play offs where anything can happen.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say I don't with the highlighted part. As we are lying third in the league and up until these last two results were within striking distance ( albeit slim ) of the top spot then I wouldn't imagine the Board or JF would be thinking of eyeing up a replacement for Hurst. Whichever way we go now will be a huge gamble and it's easy for fans on here to say which decision to take because they don't have to live with the consequences either way. For what it's worth I think PH should have gone in 2014 when we failed to reach the play-off final. Conversely, because of him reaching the final in 2015 then I think he should have been kept for this season. For many reasons we have never really challenged for the top spot and we certainly seemed to have hit a wall at the moment ( something I think we all hoped would happen to Cheltenham and Village Green ). I really don't know what would be best for the club at this moment in time as regards PH remaining manager and I'm glad it's not my decision to make. If we were to fail to get promoted and he was to go at the end of the season then whoever came in would have a massive squad rebuilding to do. If he was to go now then a new manager would have time to work with the present squad ( something Shorty and Shouty did when Woods went) but we could possibly miss out on promotion this year. A point to remember is that when we last appointed a manager we were a newly relegated league team and we were turned down by a few " recognised " managers and had to opt for fifth( ? ) choice. Now we have been down here for several seasons why should we be any the more attractive for a recognised manager who could achieve promotion? I'm not saying we wouldn't be but merely playing devil's advocate and looking at it from an objective angle.
Whatever happens I'm glad it's not my decision to make but one thing is for sure and that is I will support this club, and all it entails for as long as I am physically able. UTM

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 218
KingstonMariner
February 21, 2016, 12:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
We've won 8 out of the last 12 Conference games, drawn two, lost two.

The levels of hysteria on this board this evening, you'd think we had lost 8 out of those 12.

Little doubt that chances of the title are now long gone thanks to the incredible form shown by Cheltenham and FGR this season, but a run with a few poor performances doesn't mean the end of the season, especially when you consider we were on the verge of achieving a record winning-streak not much over a month ago! Despite the current wobble, we're plenty good enough to finish in the play-offs and then I just hope we manage to put three good performances together and get the luck on our side.

No confidence at all that we'll win promotion this season, but to think that we can't is daft.

That's just picking stats to suit. Why 12 games? I predict that after 3 more bad results it'll be "we've won 8 out of 15. That's not bad."

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 218
lew chaterleys lover
February 21, 2016, 1:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

Whilst I agree with most of what you say I don't with the highlighted part. As we are lying third in the league and up until these last two results were within striking distance ( albeit slim ) of the top spot then I wouldn't imagine the Board or JF would be thinking of eyeing up a replacement for Hurst. Whichever way we go now will be a huge gamble and it's easy for fans on here to say which decision to take because they don't have to live with the consequences either way. For what it's worth I think PH should have gone in 2014 when we failed to reach the play-off final. Conversely, because of him reaching the final in 2015 then I think he should have been kept for this season. For many reasons we have never really challenged for the top spot and we certainly seemed to have hit a wall at the moment ( something I think we all hoped would happen to Cheltenham and Village Green ). I really don't know what would be best for the club at this moment in time as regards PH remaining manager and I'm glad it's not my decision to make. If we were to fail to get promoted and he was to go at the end of the season then whoever came in would have a massive squad rebuilding to do. If he was to go now then a new manager would have time to work with the present squad ( something Shorty and Shouty did when Woods went) but we could possibly miss out on promotion this year. A point to remember is that when we last appointed a manager we were a newly relegated league team and we were turned down by a few " recognised " managers and had to opt for fifth( ? ) choice. Now we have been down here for several seasons why should we be any the more attractive for a recognised manager who could achieve promotion? I'm not saying we wouldn't be but merely playing devil's advocate and looking at it from an objective angle.
Whatever happens I'm glad it's not my decision to make but one thing is for sure and that is I will support this club, and all it entails for as long as I am physically able. UTM

I take your point, but the unexpected happens so quickly in football and the owner should be ready for it. A month ago we were ticking over nicely, and I think that suits Fenty perfectly, but as soon as the going gets a bit tougher he is unable to be decisive.

I think the point about the difficulty in attracting a new manager is a moot point. It cannot be  because of our history, as that is second to none. It cannot be  about the support we are able to attract as that is self evident. It cannot be about our potential as we have played at a higher level for a lot of the time than teams like Swansea and Bournemouth who  both had crowds similar to ours. It cannot be the geographical location - in location terms I would rather manage Town than Carlisle or Exeter.

So what is it? Budget and wages? The owners lack of vison/ambition? The feeling that we are a big club in name only and don't have the blueprint to be great again? Who knows.

In fairness it is now difficult for Hurst and Fenty. If we stick or twist and it doesn't work they had better be ready for some pelters coming their way.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 218
Bigdog
February 21, 2016, 1:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Was just looking through a list of available managers just in case Mr Fenty pulls the trigger. No preference myself. There's a bit of talent out there we could possibly attract as a well supported club hunting for promotion rather than a club fighting relegation. One or two may need the board to invest a little more in the most important position at our football club. I just don't subscribe to the theory that we can't get better than Hurst. Nine promotion spots gone in the past four and a half seasons. Not recommendations from me but maybe a list worth discussing..

Neil Redfearn
Steve Cotterill
Chris Powell
Neil Adams
Dave Jones
Mark Robins
Mark Cooper
Gary Megson
Ronnie Moore
Richard Money

Your thoughts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 218
Jaws
February 21, 2016, 1:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
From a business point of view - surely not wise to continually criticise the paying customer week after week?

Teams in League 1 would have been envious of some our away followings.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 218
ROKERITE
February 21, 2016, 1:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Bigdog
Was just looking through a list of available managers just in case Mr Fenty pulls the trigger. No preference myself. There's a bit of talent out there we could possibly attract as a well supported club hunting for promotion rather than a club fighting relegation. One or two may need the board to invest a little more in the most important position at our football club. I just don't subscribe to the theory that we can't get better than Hurst. Nine promotion spots gone in the past four and a half seasons. Not recommendations from me but maybe a list worth discussing..

Neil Redfearn
Steve Cotterill
Chris Powell
Neil Adams
Dave Jones
Mark Robins
Mark Cooper
Gary Megson
Ronnie Moore
Richard Money

Your thoughts?

If Hurst went this week I'd go for Ronnie Moore as a very short-term option. He rescued Hartlepool when even their most die-hard supporter had accepted they'd be in The National League 2015-16. I think he could give that instant impetus to take Grimsby Town up this season.
If Hurst is still at Grimsby come April then that's a different matter.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 218
arryarryarry
February 21, 2016, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Bigdog

Neil Redfearn
Steve Cotterill
Chris Powell
Neil Adams
Dave Jones
Mark Robins
Mark Cooper
Gary Megson
Ronnie Moore
Richard Money

Your thoughts?

Whether he still wants to manage I wouldn't mind seeing Dave Jones be given a go if Hurst leaves the club.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 218
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!

Thread Rating

There have been 6 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.