Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Hurst Out!

This thread currently has 41,109 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
February 23, 2016, 12:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad

Yeah but two of them at least were spurious. One was from my mate and one from another mates brother who only has about 10% vision!

Yes but I heard they were 1st and 2nd choice but in the end turned us down.
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 218
ackomariner
February 23, 2016, 4:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from gaz57

By any chance were their names Scott and Hurst.

Brilliant  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 218
golfer
February 23, 2016, 6:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Hurst has apologised for saying we were spoilt. We have all taken it out of context.He didnt mean it how we took it. its just that we should have taken it as he meant it. He is not saying we were wrong in taking it the way we did its just that he thought we would take it the way we didnt.  In any case he is sorry to anybody who misunderstood him,  not to those who didnt misunderstand him because those that did understand him would have understood that his understanding of spoilt should have been understood by those that didnt.    Dictionary meaning of Spoilt is  F*ckq   ..not to be confused with.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 218
kingster72
February 23, 2016, 6:53am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
When Sheff Wed's got promoted a couple of seasons ago they were top of the play-off spots with just a few games left.  So you could argue they were well placed to go up, the chairman felt Gary Megson would not finish the job however and sacked him!  The chairmans instinct proved correct, sacking the boss gave the team the momentum to storm the last few games and clinch an automatic spot instead, sacking the boss at this stage can be a good thing, especially when that boss has lost the fans and failed the play offs before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 218
Maringer
February 23, 2016, 8:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
I can't believe people are going on about the 'spoilt' comment. It seems pretty obvious that it was just a turn of phrase, pointing out that we'd given several teams a drubbing at BP this season so the fans had become to expect lots of goals. Stands to reason. For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I don't think there was any hint of a dig at the fans in that comment - though I agree that he's certainly had an unnecessary pop or two in the past. All a bit precious from those getting overly-excited about a throwaway comment from my viewpoint. Perhaps melodrama is the new normal in the days of the internet?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 218
Maringer
February 23, 2016, 8:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That's better. As a stat for saying, we're gonna get in the play offs. If you're happy with that good.

Happy? Not particularly. But outraged? No.

I'm disappointed that we haven't mounted a better challenge for the title, despite the fact that we thought we had a better squad this season but I don't think we've got a God-given right to be topping the table, just because we have higher attendances that most of the teams in the division. If we were spending more money than everyone else, we'd be right to expect much more but we're not in a position to compete on wages with a number of clubs who are spending a lot more on players than we can. What's Parkin reputedly earning - £3K per week? We can't compete with that. Eastleigh and Tranmere similarly chucking all sorts of money around.

Unfortunately, Amond aside, the strikers haven't done enough this season (1 Conference goal each from Bogle and Pittman in the past 4 months is a pathetic return) and Hurst's inability to sign the extra couple of quality players to take us closer to the top is dismal.

My view remains that getting rid of a manager mid-season is just too risky and, as we're still well-set for the play-offs despite the recent dip in form (though the chances of the title have gone), sacking Hurst with no replacement lined up would be daft.

Let's put it this way, it's not so long ago that we used to laugh at "Massive Wednesday" for getting ideas above their station. If they had sacked their manager when they were well clear in 3rd place (or were just well-set in a play-off position bearing in mind the number of promotion spots available), we'd have mocked them. And rightly so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 218
RoboCod
February 23, 2016, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Been mulling over this since the weekend and I don't think we should just bury this 'spoilt' comment and stop going on about it because for me it's not a one-off, it's an example of Hursts hapless PR abilities. The so called explanation sounded very grudging and forced, even then it's not his fault as it was taken 'out of context'.

No, it was said out of context. He needs to run his comments through his head, process them and then work out if they make sense or are open to different interpretations.

A good example, 2-3 years back he blamed a poor home display on the fact that the players were a little frightened playing on front of 4-5000 fans. The logical conclusion to draw from that statement is that Town may possibly perform better in front of a much smaller crowd. That's context. It's also disappointing talk from someone in charge, looking to deflect blame once again.

You've lost me Hurst, I won't call for your head, I hope you can get this team limping over the finish line at the play-offs but the dour, curmudgeonly no nonsense Yorkshireman bit has been truly overplayed for this fan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 218
Garth
February 23, 2016, 9:40am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
My view of it is that our relationship with PH has gone stale (never was over exciting) and that promotion or not he will want to walk at the end of the season whether pushed or not, in the meantime a promotion via the play offs on his CV will be a win win all round.
Lets face it he is not a Grimsby type manager, the ideal being Big Mac and Buckley both showing passion and heart from the bench that  matched that in the crowd, now the home game crowds reflect the manager, dour and silent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 218
jonnyboy82
February 23, 2016, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Lose tonight and sack him.

Draw and keeps him alive til next week.

Win and the crack has been smoothed over.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 218
oldun
February 23, 2016, 10:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I personally think PH has some very good attributes and is a good manager. Dismissing him now would be crazy and unnecessary. However, I do think his natural style is a bit negative and cautious. I think he started the season with the mindset of securing a position in the playoffs. He has never been positive enough to say we are setting out to win this league and this must rub off on the players. Again we have struggled to play flowing football as the winter conditions have arrived. We just do not seem to be able to add real strength and power to the central midfield area. The January window has been a disaster as for whatever reason he has failed to add quality to the squad and seems to have ruffled a few feathers in the process. Recently some of the players have let him and the team down. Notably Omar Bogle whose form has caused difficulties up top especially as an extra quality striker has not materialised. The Brown/Macreth situation dragged on and was not helpful. I, like everyone really hope we can get through the current low point and navigate through the playoffs. If not then I guess we will be in for a complete clear out and fresh start as the manager and most of the players have had plenty of time to succeed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 218
22 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out!

Thread Rating

There have been 6 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.