Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 328 Guests

Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway

This thread currently has 13,465 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Trawler
February 21, 2015, 12:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
For those interested in how the future MP of Grimsby sees things I tweeted the Con, Lab, Lib and Green candidates. (I left out UKIP  after their recent Tioxide Huntsman site farago.)

I asked where they stood on relocation to Peaks Parkway.

Here are the replies so far:

First to reply. Vicky Dunn, Green Party......
@Trawler_ Renew existing stadium. Out of town shops on allotments not way to go.

Second to reply: Marc Jones, Conservative....
@Trawler_ a new stadium is needed. Trust in the planning system 1/2
Public need consulting and community must be considered 2/2

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
February 21, 2015, 12:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
So, well informed, lucid and engaging views from those elected members then. Well worth the effort.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 95
Trawler
February 21, 2015, 1:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
It's twitter. What do you expect?

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 95
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 21, 2015, 8:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Do you know what. I'm bored of this stadium stuff and either get on with it or not. my understanding was that we finally got the Great Coates go ahead and it fell down because the council authorised another shopping complex. I haven't seen that happen but now were planning same in town centre which will create traffic problems on a Saturday. But regardless of that the stadium thing is longer running than an Eastenders whodunit and it all feels like a big fat here we go again.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 95
chaos33
February 21, 2015, 9:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Trawler
It's twitter. What do you expect?

I expect Politicians to be well informed - especially if they are going to speak publicly and represent constituents on issues. Those remarks from Vicky Dunn of the Greens show that she's not even in possession of some of the basic facts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 95
buckstown
February 21, 2015, 9:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
No member of a major political party will give you a personal opinion for fear of upsetting voters. That's why most of us have lost all faith in them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 95
jock dock tower
February 21, 2015, 9:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I assume I'm not the only Town fan who is horrified by the thought of actually leaving Blundell Park for a soul less meccano type flat pack stadium that will have no history or culture at all associated with it?

The new stadium seems to be John Fenty's attempt at leaving a legacy, but I for one don't buy it. Blundell Park used to be one of the most atmospheric grounds around, a place where opposing teams used to fear going to. I understand it's not that now, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be so again some time in the future. It worked well enough, and no problems with parking etc, despite crowds regularly into 5 figures.

Tell me please, someone, exactly what the rational arguments for relocation are, as to me they make no sense at all. A change at the helm and a fresh injection of boardroom talent could prove every bit as beneficial.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 95
chaos33
February 21, 2015, 10:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
If we stay at Blundell Park we'll become insolvent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 95
chaos33
February 21, 2015, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
I seem to have attracted two negatives for suggesting that politicians should have some knowledge!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 95
moosey_club
February 21, 2015, 10:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from chaos33
I seem to have attracted two negatives for suggesting that politicians should have some knowledge!

With modern politicians i dont think its a prerequisite.....tow the party line, have a poker face, never give a committed answer, remain ambigious at all times and last but not least be skilled in answering any question faced by pointing out the failings of someone else.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 95
jock dock tower
February 21, 2015, 10:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
If we stay at Blundell Park we'll become insolvent.

But why? It can only be because of the financial strictures we are currently working under the existing boardroom regime. Or am I genuinely missing something?

I think you'll find that there are some politicians who have considerable knowledge about their field of excellence, as well - of course - as the careerist fly by nights who see becoming an MP as a lucrative first step on a career in the city making gazillions out of the links they made at Westminster, especially if they were ministers. If you go down the slippery road of thinking all politicians are the same then you might as well give up the right to vote.....

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 95
chaos33
February 21, 2015, 10:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
I didn't say all politicians are the same. I said they should know something about the issues they remark publicly upon. The Green Party candidate is talking about putting shops on allotments FFS.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 95
HackneyHaddock
February 21, 2015, 11:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Suggestions we can stay at BP just fly in the face of modern football economics.  BP is decrepit and prohibitively expensive to redevelop now.  It gives the club next to no non-matchday income and is poorly set up to maximise non-ticket revenue on match days too.

If Grimsby is to grow and prosper, it needs more industry, more housing and therefore more community amenities.  The current BP set up fails to address any of these factors whilst a new ground might at least go some way to doing that.  Now of course, we can all think of locations that might be better for a new ground in an ideal world.  However, the club has explored these options and PP is now the only viable option after the council reneged on its support for Great Coates.  If the club is to survive, it's the ONLY option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 95
chaos33
February 21, 2015, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Precisely.

I'm sorry, I thought these facts were well established and widely understood, having been discussed many times in various media outlets, including on here. I didn't realise that there were some people who still say 'remain at BP and develop it'.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 95
horsforthmariner
February 21, 2015, 1:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,614
Gold Stars: 9
The Greens are basically anti business and frankly a bunch of loons so her view is not surprising

In essence though MPs aren't actually important it's Councillors that make the decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 95
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 21, 2015, 2:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Politics is politics at the end if the day. You don't have your own opinion, you are basically trying to appease every single voter. The day when there is a yes/no questionnaire (black and white) for the politicians is the day you get answers instead of, 'it's not a yes or no answer' from the politician.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 95
Mrs Doyle
February 21, 2015, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from horsforthmariner
The Greens are basically anti business and frankly a bunch of loons so her view is not surprising

In essence though MPs aren't actually important it's Councillors that make the decision.

So Fenty as a vested interest then lets hope he's made some friends in the council lol

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 95
ginnywings
February 21, 2015, 3:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
We can't keep hanging onto the past. We need a new stadium and the town needs new housing stock, so let's get on with it and drag ourselves into the 21st century. There will always be people opposed to anything new, whatever it is. People don't like change but we/they will get used to it in time. BP is a ramshackle bunch of mismatched stands with varying degrees of neglect and poor amenities. It is also in a terrible location. To update it is folly as refurbishment is far more expensive than building from new, so there's no point.

To tie it into a larger scheme of housing development with other amenities such as shops and pubs/restaurants is a sensible approach if we want a new stadium without much if any outlay from ourselves. If land is freed up for developers, they will be falling over themselves to get on board. It just needs the council to get their fingers out and push on.

We are slowly dying at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 95
realist
February 21, 2015, 3:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
With Hurst as manager we would die at any ground.
I live on Scartho top, after all these years its not even half finished.they cant sell the houses. This doesnt support the argument that we must increase the housing stock. Put the new ground here and scrap the houses .Sorted
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 95
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 21, 2015, 3:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from realist
I live on Scartho top, after all these years its not even half finished.they cant sell the houses. This doesnt support the argument that we must increase the housing stock. Put the new ground here and scrap the houses .Sorted

Think thats more of a problem to do with the overpriced poor quality new houses they build these days though, im renting a danes close house at the minute, and no offence if anyone owns one but the quality of the build is so poor these won't last more than 30 years, and ive had an offer on a house accepted now, and when we was looking at houses, new builds didn't compare to older houses in terms of quality, space and storage, and other factors, and yet this small terraced, 2 up 2 down with a small patio garden would set you back over 100k, coupled with the fact that people can't afford mortgages these days and the rates if you go with the help to buy scheme can be ridiculous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 95
ginnywings
February 21, 2015, 3:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Think thats more of a problem to do with the overpriced poor quality new houses they build these days though, im renting a danes close house at the minute, and no offence if anyone owns one but the quality of the build is so poor these won't last more than 30 years, and ive had an offer on a house accepted now, and when we was looking at houses, new builds didn't compare to older houses in terms of quality, space and storage, and other factors, and yet this small terraced, 2 up 2 down with a small patio garden would set you back over 100k, coupled with the fact that people can't afford mortgages these days and the rates if you go with the help to buy scheme can be ridiculous

Spot on. They were built at the height of the boom and most were thrown up. The right houses at the right price will sell or go for rent no problem. I've worked on many sites where all the houses are sold before they are even built. There is a lack of affordable housing and the council can make this happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 95
rancido
February 21, 2015, 4:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Trawler
For those interested in how the future MP of Grimsby sees things I tweeted the Con, Lab, Lib and Green candidates. (I left out UKIP  after their recent Tioxide Huntsman site farago.)

@Trawler_ Renew existing stadium. Out of town shops on allotments not way to go.

Those allotments are only 50% occupied FFS!. I don't know how many plots are there, probably less than 100, but there are also plenty of spare plots off Weelsby Road. The new ground will bring pleasure to thousands and certainly shouldn't be jeopardized by less than 50 people who do have an alternative site not very far away.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 95
ginnywings
February 21, 2015, 6:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Defreitas must be reading this thread judging by the amount of x's on it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 95
ginnywings
February 21, 2015, 6:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from rancido

Those allotments are only 50% occupied FFS!. I don't know how many plots are there, probably less than 100, but there are also plenty of spare plots off Weelsby Road. The new ground will bring pleasure to thousands and certainly shouldn't be jeopardized by less than 50 people who do have an alternative site not very far away.

There are scores of empty allotments at the end of my street. Nobody wants them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 95
barralad
February 21, 2015, 11:29pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from chaos33
I didn't say all politicians are the same. I said they should know something about the issues they remark publicly upon. The Green Party candidate is talking about putting shops on allotments FFS.

Mate:- She's not that far out is she? I haven't heard anything to say that Town aren't still looking at the possibility of an anchor retail partner for the whole shebang and I thought we were all agreed the allotments would be severely affected. Oh and I'm not a green supporter....

Where she and I would go our separate ways is over her view of the alternative..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 95
barralad
February 21, 2015, 11:34pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from realist

How does Hurst get brought into a thread like this...what is happening with this new ground (or not as the case may be) will affect GTFC for many, many years after the current manager has moved on...

As for the houses on Scartho Top-perhaps it is the area that puts people off. I too live in Scaffa and I don't recall any similar sale issues with the developments in Shaw Drive etc.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 95
arryarryarry
February 22, 2015, 5:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Suggestions we can stay at BP just fly in the face of modern football economics.  BP is decrepit and prohibitively expensive to redevelop now.  It gives the club next to no non-matchday income and is poorly set up to maximise non-ticket revenue on match days too.

If Grimsby is to grow and prosper, it needs more industry, more housing and therefore more community amenities.  The current BP set up fails to address any of these factors whilst a new ground might at least go some way to doing that.  Now of course, we can all think of locations that might be better for a new ground in an ideal world.  However, the club has explored these options and PP is now the only viable option after the council reneged on its support for Great Coates.  If the club is to survive, it's the ONLY option.

I may have missed it but where is the extra income coming from a new stadium other than increased support hopefully.

I'm not against a new ground but my understanding is that it will be a community stadium owned by the Council or some other body so any other non match day income would go to them. Surely we would just be tenants?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 95
February 22, 2015, 7:06am
Guest User
Quoted from Trawler

Hippy's like this clown would still have us in the stone age.
Reply: 27 - 95
Theimperialcoroner
February 22, 2015, 8:55am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,203
Gold Stars: 102
Marc Jones was forced into a corner on Twitter and came out in favour of ground. I thought he'd put up more of a fight though. Mind you, he's got as much chance of getting in to power as the Green candidate.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 95
Trawler
February 22, 2015, 9:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Marc Jones was forced into a corner on Twitter and came out in favour of ground. I thought he'd put up more of a fight though. Mind you, he's got as much chance of getting in to power as the Green candidate.

The tweets with Marc Jones carried on with @trevorhewsongy

@trevhewsongy: @itsmarcjones @Trawler_ @ChrisParkerNo6 @VickyDunnGreen @OnnMel @stevebeasant @officialgtfc Fencesitters of the World, Unite & Take Over???

@itsmarcjones: @trevhewsongy @Trawler_ I'm sure this will come up in live debates. No sitting then

@trevhewsongy: @itsmarcjones So if then, why not now? Surely about progress for the town?

@itsmarcjones: @trevhewsongy of course it is. Can't really debate fully in 140 characters

@trevhewsongy: @itsmarcjones @Trawler_ Not sure it's even a debate. Quite simply GY must have stadium

@itsmarcjones: it should without doubt.

Then Vicky Dunn came back:

@VickyDunnGreen: @DavideSands @Trawler_ @OnnMel @stevebeasant @officialgtfc more out of town shops will kill town centre. Parkway was promised no side roads.

I think the live debates will be too late for the local plan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 95
Trawler
February 22, 2015, 10:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
@itsmarcjones: .@biccysthefishy @officialgtfc @Trawler_  The club needs a new ground IN Grimsby. Solution must be found. It's a must for Grimsby

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 95
barralad
February 22, 2015, 10:42am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Trawler
@itsmarcjones: .@biccysthefishy @officialgtfc @Trawler_  The club needs a new ground IN Grimsby. Solution must be found. It's a must for Grimsby

Well it won't make me vote for him...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 95
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 22, 2015, 12:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle
Do you know what. I'm bored of this stadium stuff and either get on with it or not. my understanding was that we finally got the Great Coates go ahead and it fell down because the council authorised another shopping complex. I haven't seen that happen but now were planning same in town centre which will create traffic problems on a Saturday. But regardless of that the stadium thing is longer running than an Eastenders whodunit and it all feels like a big fat here we go again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/6298671.stm

So we forget about this and move on. We have no control over club finances and councillors opinion. I'm interested in the football on the pitch. This is the clubs business to just get on with it. I have completed the survey and recommended the move but until the building work starts. Not interested

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 95
highcliff mariner
February 22, 2015, 1:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/6298671.stm

So we forget about this and move on. We have no control over club finances and councillors opinion. I'm interested in the football on the pitch. This is the clubs business to just get on with it. I have completed the survey and recommended the move but until the building work starts. Not interested

We know your not interested , you've already ( as you've pointed out) told us .

Just been up to the site ( wish I'd took a coat)  I like the. Look of it , and hope the club and those who are interested can make it happen .
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 95
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 22, 2015, 2:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from highcliff mariner

We know your not interested , you've already ( as you've pointed out) told us .

Just been up to the site ( wish I'd took a coat)  I like the. Look of it , and hope the club and those who are interested can make it happen .

Yes and got a number of crosses for being a little cynical when suddenly nearly twenty years after the long hard trail began that was great Coates that here we are again with another site that is opposed, that won't be as accessible as Great Coates was for traffic and you are another grabbed hook line and sinker. I am interested if it comes about matey, been there done that. Did you learn anything from your trot to the allotments.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 95
highcliff mariner
February 22, 2015, 2:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778

Yes and got a number of crosses for being a little cynical when suddenly nearly twenty years after the long hard trail began that was great Coates that here we are again with another site that is opposed, that won't be as accessible as Great Coates was for traffic and you are another grabbed hook line and sinker. I am interested if it comes about matey, been there done that. Did you learn anything from your trot to the allotments.

Whatever I learned. , it will be more than you've learned by not going ?
But I don't suppose it matters , cos your not interested .
UTM
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 95
AlanPoutonsTackle
February 22, 2015, 3:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from highcliff mariner

Whatever I learned. , it will be more than you've learned by not going ?
But I don't suppose it matters , cos your not interested .
UTM

That'll be a NO then.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 95
Trawler
February 23, 2015, 11:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Here's Melanie Onn's (Lab candidate) viewpoint (she preferred not to debate the matter on twitter):

https://www.facebook.com/Melanie4Grimsby/posts/339566372901517

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 95
psgmariner
February 23, 2015, 12:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Trawler
Here's Melanie Onn's (Lab candidate) viewpoint (she preferred not to debate the matter on twitter):

Swoon. I like her.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 95
grimsby pete
February 23, 2015, 1:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
What other event would see 1,000 Grimsby people past and present journey down to London to support a non league event,( or equivalent )

Grimsby Town FC is the biggest  thing in a lot of people's lives,

With a new stadium there will be no limit to how far this great club could go,

If we get to the play off final there will be over 20,000 Grimsby fans showing the country what a great set of people we are.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 95
Nelly GTFC
February 23, 2015, 4:49pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,736
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Trawler

A very fair, but neutral perspective to the proposals.  I actually liked what she had to say to be honest.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 95
barralad
February 23, 2015, 5:20pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
A very fair, but neutral perspective to the proposals.  I actually liked what she had to say to be honest.

Agree-mostly. I'm a bit concerned about this seemingly common view out there that somehow the club can afford to move without the finance generated by any anchor tenant-be that a retailer or a house building firm....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 95
VickyDunnGreen
February 23, 2015, 5:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -5
Hello folks.
I'm Vicky Dunn, the Green Party PPC for Grimsby.    At risk of being unpopular, I told the truth as I see it.  I've come on here rather than Twitter because 140 characters is a bit limiting.

I think Peaks Parkway is the wrong site for a new stadium + shops/supermarket + housing.   There is no place anywhere in the area for another out of town shopping development, and I believe we should consolidate the shops in the town centres.    As for housing, what the town really needs is affordable housing not the expensive variety.  The recent news that the Birds  Eye site and the old Western School site may be set for housing is welcome.

I do think a very close by rail link is needed for easy transfer of away fans to the stadium.  As I've been informed on Twitter, few fans currently travel by train, but I believe that will and must change over the next 20 years.

The local residents are very unhappy, and I have been told (I am trying to gather more information) that the postal questionaires about the issue mysteriously missed Weelsby Avenue out!   As for the allotments, the occupancy rate was a lot higher than 50% before this saga began.   I love my allotment (OK, cue hippy remarks now) which is on another site, but if I'd had one on that site I'd be seriously considering giving it up. Allotments are a really important community facility, and I believe they will  become more important in coming years.  We shouldn't get rid of any, and if the council/community groups can bid for funds to extend the number and diversity of people growing their own food, then that is an important thing.  It's important for physical and mental health, provides space for wildlife, and has no food miles or packaging involved.   That's why I believe the allotments are an important piece in this puzzle.

Lastly, does anyone have any information on whether, if the Freeman St flats came down, that site would be suitable in size?  I've met some of the residents there and seen their heartfelt misery at the prospect of being evicted and I hope a solution (repeal of bedroom tax to solve underoccupany?) can be found.  BUT, if those flats come down it seems a better site for transport, for shops, and for affordable housing and a Stadium if it would fit.  I'd welcome more information on this.

Yours,
Vicky Dunn, Green Party PPC for Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 95
BIGChris
February 23, 2015, 5:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
This is where I have issues with virtually every politician regardless of colour.

To my mind they should be representing the people of the area not forcing opinion on the electorate. You may "think that PP is the wrong site" but surely you should reflect the opinions of the electorate whatever they may be?

As for Town centres being the place for shopping I think you are stuck in the past or at very least the present. Town centre shopping is on the wane, internet is seeing to that and will continue to hasten the demise. I see Town centres of the future being far more about leisure ( pubs, restaurants, entertainment etc and fewer and fewer shops)

The allotment issue can easily be sorted with a new improved facility provided. This HAS been mentioned previously but chosen to be ignored by you and others who have made their minds up.

As for leaflets not being delivered I note that Cllr DeFrietas's leaflets have not been put through my letterbox despite being a resident if Park Ward for 20 yrs. maybe the fact that he didn't get the response from me he wanted when he called some 14 months ago with his blatant propaganda which was, at the very best, fictitious.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 95
alvinghammariner
February 23, 2015, 5:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
This train station situation is massively over stated. Reading have their ground miles from the station and a large number of fans (home and away) get busses from the town to the ground, the local bus company must make a killing from it.

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 95
Marinerz93
February 23, 2015, 5:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
It's not if Viccy but when, the flats are coming down (I was told within 3 years), I've carried out Electrical work there and the tenants are being paid to move out and when they go, the place is gutted.

Personally I would love the new ground to be there but who would pay for demolition and construction Viccy.

Can you explain why your party if they love allotments so much, why they haven't hammered GY council due what they charge people in Grimsby, which is among the highest in the country.  How many of the allotment holders live within walking distance of the allotments.

While you are here Viccy can you clear up some of your party's policies

1. Can you explain Citzens Income and what that policy means.
2. What would be the new restrictions be for motorists regarding speed, tax and road works.
3. Would your party really legalise cocaine and heroin.
4. What are your party's plans on air travel.
5. Do you think the people of Brighton and Hove are happy with your party, how safe is that bubble.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 95
gytone
February 23, 2015, 6:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,024
Gold Stars: 8
For god sake Vicky, and everybody else,  this is THE only suitable site, the club and the council if I remember correctly, have done numerous feasibility studies and Peaks Parkway has come up as the best site, how many more times do people have to be told !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 95
WetFlannel
February 23, 2015, 6:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from VickyDunnGreen
Hello folks.
I'm Vicky Dunn, the Green Party PPC for Grimsby.    At risk of being unpopular, I told the truth as I see it.  I've come on here rather than Twitter because 140 characters is a bit limiting.

I think Peaks Parkway is the wrong site for a new stadium + shops/supermarket + housing.   There is no place anywhere in the area for another out of town shopping development, and I believe we should consolidate the shops in the town centres.    As for housing, what the town really needs is affordable housing not the expensive variety.  The recent news that the Birds  Eye site and the old Western School site may be set for housing is welcome.

I do think a very close by rail link is needed for easy transfer of away fans to the stadium.  As I've been informed on Twitter, few fans currently travel by train, but I believe that will and must change over the next 20 years.

The local residents are very unhappy, and I have been told (I am trying to gather more information) that the postal questionaires about the issue mysteriously missed Weelsby Avenue out!   As for the allotments, the occupancy rate was a lot higher than 50% before this saga began.   I love my allotment (OK, cue hippy remarks now) which is on another site, but if I'd had one on that site I'd be seriously considering giving it up. Allotments are a really important community facility, and I believe they will  become more important in coming years.  We shouldn't get rid of any, and if the council/community groups can bid for funds to extend the number and diversity of people growing their own food, then that is an important thing.  It's important for physical and mental health, provides space for wildlife, and has no food miles or packaging involved.   That's why I believe the allotments are an important piece in this puzzle.

Lastly, does anyone have any information on whether, if the Freeman St flats came down, that site would be suitable in size?  I've met some of the residents there and seen their heartfelt misery at the prospect of being evicted and I hope a solution (repeal of bedroom tax to solve underoccupany?) can be found.  BUT, if those flats come down it seems a better site for transport, for shops, and for affordable housing and a Stadium if it would fit.  I'd welcome more information on this.

Yours,

You're right, it would be good if we used the 2 sites mentioned for housing... But that's still not enough. The amount of new housing in this town is disgusting. Take out the new stadium (which you're always going to be fighting a losing battle on here with, especially since it's clear it makes sense) and the benefits of development still outweigh the negatives. Shame, I was considering voting for the Green Party this year. I wish your party the best outside the local area!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 95
BIGChris
February 23, 2015, 6:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from gytone
For god sake Vicky, and everybody else,  this is THE only suitable site, the club and the council if I remember correctly, have done numerous feasibility studies and Peaks Parkway has come up as the best site, how many more times do people have to be told !

I understand that an independent study has been undertaken to look into the economic benefits as well as the location etc

Surely IF that comes out in favour then it will be very difficult for the council not to accept it and push on with the development?
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 95
jock dock tower
February 23, 2015, 6:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Good on you Vicky for taking the initiative and coming on here to try and add to the debate, and despite what the other candidates have said - or not as the case may be - you're the only one who's actually come on here and risk the brickbats that will undoubtedly come your way.

Comment has already been made about town centres dying on their feet, and that you're out of touch to want to keep and regenerate them. I'm with you on this. I well remember the Freeman Street of the 1960's and 1970's and how it was the very nerve centre of the town with a wonderful market, great boozers, 4 butchers that I remember and most other kinds of shops as well. It was vibrant. Compare it with now, and then consider what it used to be like before the advent of Sainsburys, Asda etc. These retail behemoths haven't improved the quality of life of any town, any where, since they got their big expansionist plans off the drawing boards. They've killed communities, every bit as much as Thatcher did.

There's absolutely no reason why town centres can't be regenerated again, with living accommodation, shops, and the leisure facilities already mentioned. Rents would have to come down of course, and the local councils could actually lead the way here with proper planning for such schemes, and the compulsory purchase of empty properties bought for speculation.

"Reflecting the opinions of the electorate" I wholeheartedly agree with you Chris, once a politician is elected. At the moment what Vicky is saying are her views of the situation, and I think you'll probably find that all candidates will do likewise, albeit I doubt any of the others will air their views very openly on here. To be fair though, it is a decision for local councillors rather than the MP who is elected, whoever they may be, albeit I fully concur that the weight of any such backing from the MP might carry considerable clout. I think Vicky's savvy enough to realise that it would be highly unlikely she would be fulfilling that role come May 8th.

UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 95
barralad
February 23, 2015, 6:22pm
Mariners Trust
Hello folks.

Yours,

Thanks for taking the time to come on here. I'm not a Green supporter but a member of your family I believe is a contributor on here!
I think we both know that there are reasons totally unrelated to football why town centres are declining. Not least of those is what are deemed to be the high rents charged by Freshney Place which discourage local businesses from setting up there and the move to internet shopping neither of which will be lessened whether GTFC build on The Parkway or not. It is also quite difficult to get into Town on busy days due to the mess made of the road network round the town centre. One of the things Grimsby is crying out for is a Park and Ride scheme (should tick Green boxes). A P and R on the Parkway ground site would serve the villages around such as Waltham, New Waltham and to some extent Humberston and could be used to great advantage on the 30 or so Saturdays when the car park wouldn't be used by match-goers, during the week and the busy build up to Christmas.
The point about affordable housing is I believe a very good one. I haven't seen anything which confirms that there won't be an affordable element to any housing on the Parkway (although I concede it isn't likely!!)
As regards rail links, if you accept that GTFC do need to move, then with the exception of the Docks (the cost of buying land from ABP makes this somewhat prohibitive) there is no site that has been mentioned with proximity to the somewhat restricted rail network "enjoyed" by Grimsby. Add to that the fact that however admirable it is to seek the increase of usage of the network (I don't drive a car) people will vote with their wheels. If we are to plan the building of a new stadium the planners will have to deal with the "here and now" which is catering for motorists. You cannot plan for something which due to cost etc. may never happen.
I would query your assertion that the take up of the allotments was higher "before this saga started". I have to go up that way often and have since 2007 when my wife died and we buried her ashes in the cemetery. A lot of those allotments looked overgrown then. That aside, there are noises being made that spaces will be provided elsewhere for would be current allotment holders.
This is a football site so probably not the right place to have a debate about the rights and wrongs of the decision to knock down the flats. Many people have mentioned the suitability of the site but I don't know who owns the land. If you are concerned about the effect on Town centres then perhaps a thought for the need to build affordable housing on that site to maintain the numbers of people living within a stones throw (nearly if you have a good arm) of the town centre might be the way to go rather than depending on a football/community stadium that won't have people in it 24/7 365 days of the year but I'm no politician. I suspect it is an absolute non-starter to consider putting a stadium AND affordable housing on a site that you may just squeeze a stadium onto.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 95
Marinerz93
February 23, 2015, 6:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
After reviewing Melanie Onn's and Vicky Dunns profiles on their website for research purposes

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/25altzo.png[/IMG]

I have come to the conclusion that they need to mud wrestle together to raise money for the new stadium.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 95
Nelly GTFC
February 23, 2015, 6:27pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Unfortunately the Green Party lost my vote a long time ago, more serious issues.
Quoted from Green Party
Britain will leave NATO, end the special relationship with the US, and unilaterally abandon nuclear weapons. A standing army, navy and airforce is “unnecessary”. Bases will be turned into nature reserves and the arms industry “converted” to producing windturbines.
Without our nukes Russia would own us in a conventional war.  Dropping out of Nato?  Madness - no one to defend ourselves except ourselves, we are not the military might we once were.

If Russia sent up every Tupolev Tu-95 Nuclear Bomber, we woudn't have enough planes to deal with them all before they drop a payload of Nukes on London, once they have entered UK airspace.

It's bad enough the EU pushing Russia into a corner with sanctions etc, "Mutual Assured Destruction" - Kept us safe for the last 70 years.

Anyway, back on subject - Football.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 95
February 23, 2015, 6:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Unfortunatly the Green Party lost my vote a long time ago.Without our nukes Russia would own us in a conventional war.  Dropping out of Nato?  Madness - no one to defend ourselves except ourselves, we are not the military might we once were.

If Russia sent up every Tupolev Tu-95 Nuclear Bomber, we woudn't have enough planes to deal with them all before they drop a payload of Nukes on London, once they have entered UK airspace.

It's bad enough the EU pushing Russia into a corner with sanctions etc, "Mutual Assured Destruction" - Kept us safe for the last 70 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new.....lan-for-Britain.html

Reply: 53 - 95
jock dock tower
February 23, 2015, 7:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Unfortunately the Green Party lost my vote a long time ago, more serious issues.Without our nukes Russia would own us in a conventional war.  Dropping out of Nato?  Madness - no one to defend ourselves except ourselves, we are not the military might we once were.

Would they use the new stadium as a stalag ffs? This is a debate about whether or not we should / should not move to a new ground, not as to whether or not we'd be puppy feed for Putin?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 95
grimsby pete
February 23, 2015, 7:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Dear Vicky,

We have needed a new stadium for years,

After years and years and expensive studies and planning,

The only site that ticks all the boxes is Peakes Parkway,

Forget about Freeman St and the multi storey flats they have been studied and ruled out,

Please do not come on here and try and force your views on us,

No offence intended but you will have no clout when these plans are passed.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 95
HackneyHaddock
February 23, 2015, 7:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Luckily, planning is a local issue and not for MPs to be concerning themselves.  The only potential exception to this could be if the Secretary of State is asked to be involved and the MPs lobby them.  In this instance, Martin Vickers would be for the move and whoever the Grimsby MP is (presumably Melanie Onn seeing as Grimsby would vote for a raving alcoholic sex paedophile if it were wearing a red rosette apparently) would have to decide what to do.

Ignore the Greens.  Sorry Vicky, but you have no chance of winning so your opinion counts for about as much as that of Screaming Lord Sutch.   As far as Melanie Onn's position, I sympathise with her to an extent as she is trying to hold off UKIP and won't want to annoy those residents near the proposed site.  My guess is that if the studies come down in favour of the development, then she'll support it.

All of this shows though just how low the calibre of local politicians is.  There's no champion for the area and our councillors, of all parties, have no idea of how to improve the area and seem content for it to remain a backwater.  Down in London, love him or loathe him, we have Boris Johnson, who is always banging the drum for the capital and trying to get new schemes (fair enough, many of them pretty harebrained!) and investment for the city.  He exudes positivity.  Who in North East Lincs has any vision?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 95
barralad
February 23, 2015, 7:39pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from grimsby pete
Dear Vicky,

Forget about Freeman St and the multi storey flats they have been studied and ruled out,

Bit harsh (although you did say please!)

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 95
rancido
February 23, 2015, 7:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
Good on you Vicky for taking the initiative and coming on here to try and add to the debate, and despite what the other candidates have said - or not as the case may be - you're the only one who's actually come on here and risk the brickbats that will undoubtedly come your way.

Comment has already been made about town centres dying on their feet, and that you're out of touch to want to keep and regenerate them. I'm with you on this. I well remember the Freeman Street of the 1960's and 1970's and how it was the very nerve centre of the town with a wonderful market, great boozers, 4 butchers that I remember and most other kinds of shops as well. It was vibrant. Compare it with now, and then consider what it used to be like before the advent of Sainsburys, Asda etc. These retail behemoths haven't improved the quality of life of any town, any where, since they got their big expansionist plans off the drawing boards. They've killed communities, every bit as much as Thatcher did.

There's absolutely no reason why town centres can't be regenerated again, with living accommodation, shops, and the leisure facilities already mentioned. Rents would have to come down of course, and the local councils could actually lead the way here with proper planning for such schemes, and the compulsory purchase of empty properties bought for speculation.

"Reflecting the opinions of the electorate" I wholeheartedly agree with you Chris, once a politician is elected. At the moment what Vicky is saying are her views of the situation, and I think you'll probably find that all candidates will do likewise, albeit I doubt any of the others will air their views very openly on here. To be fair though, it is a decision for local councillors rather than the MP who is elected, whoever they may be, albeit I fully concur that the weight of any such backing from the MP might carry considerable clout. I think Vicky's savvy enough to realise that it would be highly unlikely she would be fulfilling that role come May 8th.

UTM.

The reason Freeman was so busy was it's close proximity the Docks and the thriving fishing industry. The whole surrounding area , all the side streets off Freemo and the East Marsh, housed vast numbers of people employed in the fishing industry. Freeman Street started to decline at the same time as the fishing industry declined and the housing clearances in the area. This also coincided with the development of Top Town. Very few towns of Grimsby's size can accommodate two large shopping areas and Freeman Street was the one that suffered. Regardless of whatever is done to revitalise Freeman Street it will never compete with Top Town. Unfortunately it's time , like BP , is past and nothing will change that.
The Top Town area is constricted and restricted by the road system surrounding it with the resulting traffic congestion. It makes perfect sense to have a shopping development away from the town centre, but not too far out, to serve the areas of Waltham , New Waltham, Holton-le Clay and Scartho Top.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 95
LH
February 23, 2015, 7:59pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173
The Parliamentary candidates may not be involved in the planning process but if we have a pro-stadium MP they might be able to present the positive aspects of the plan to local residents. I will be moving back to Grimsby permanently in the autumn and I know I won't be voting in May for somebody who doesn't appear to want to take the town forward. The Stadium could be a big part of a new image for the area.

Isn't New Waltham in the Cleethorpes constituency? The stadium site isn't exactly far away from there and the Parkway itself is obviously the main route into town from there. Maybe we should be seeing what the candidates for that seat think too?
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 95
VickyDunnGreen
February 23, 2015, 8:46pm
Coke Drinker
While you are here Viccy can you clear up some of your party's policies.

Sure, and you can browse any other policy which interests you here:   http://www.policy.greenparty.org.uk  

1. Can you explain Citzens Income and what that policy means.

The idea that everyone gets a basic payment as a right of citizenship.  It removes the admin costs and poverty trap of the current benefits system.  The Green leader Natalie Bennett got a right shellacking on the Politics Show a couple weeks ago about it, as she didn't have the figures to hand, as the fully costed manifesto isn't out until March.   My understanding it that it's a fair idea, needs a lot of consultation to develop to avoid unintended consequences.  Given the money available, it's necer going to be some sort of "luxury life for doing nothing."    There's something about universal benefits keeping the country together.  Those who earn too much to need them are paying them back in tax anyhow so they needn't feel bad.   Conversely, if support is only given to the poor it creates hate and division.  An example is of the stereotypes we get from the right wing media of people on benefits, when many people on benefits are working and the actual beneficiary is their employer who has low pay subsidised.  Happy to discuss again when I've seen the costings.

2. What would be the new restrictions be for motorists regarding speed, tax and road works.

Motorists are also residents, parents, they breathe the air and they cycle or walk.   Green transport policy is about accessible local services and moving goods around in as low a carbon way as possible and improving air quality.    Why low carbon?   Because the fossil fuels are going to get hellishly expensive, and unless the world reduces carbon emissions, things are just going to get.. hellish.    We in the UK need to play our part in reducing global emissions.  

So yes, expect the polluter pays principle to act here.   Expect speed limits for safety and efficiency and higher tax on gas guzzling vehicles.   Expect the heirarchy of cycling, pedestrians, public transport, low emission vehicles followed by traditional vehicles and aeroplanes to apply.   However, at the same time we would improve public transport, improve road safety (like they have in Brighton and cut the road accident rate)   we need to make these choices easy and feasible, rather than giving anyone an excuse to say they are being taxed for a high carbon mode of transport without having the option to change to a lower one.   Green policy is all about the easy and feasible choice also becoming the green choice.

A relevant local angle is that charging up electric vehicles is a good use for wind generated electricity on windy nights when demand is low on the grid.  This improves the economics of wind farms.

Another way I would explain this is that climate change and peak oil represent a sharp bend in the road.   Greens are suggesting ways to steer safely round it and other parties are denying the bend exists at all.

3. Would your party really legalise cocaine and heroin.

In short, not before a Royal Commission had looked at the issue.   Legalise cannabis now, and then look carefully at the situation with all other drugs.   (I would suggest they get "the scientist who was sacked" Prof David Nutt to chair it.)     The war on drugs has failed and we need a new approach.  It costs us a fortune to police, yet the prisons are full of drugs!    Illegal addictive drugs just create a pyramid scheme of crime, funding bad things here and abroad.   We don't want to encourage drug taking, but we understand it has always gone on and will always go on.  It needs to go on in the safest manner possible.  Which means - free drug testing e.g. at nightclubs, chemist shops; bring in minimum pricing for alcohol and no advertising; maintenance prescriptions to help addicted people stay clear of crime; and keeping the smoking ban in enclosed places.

4. What are your party's plans on air travel.
See 2.
The introduction of tradable carbon quotas brings fairness into a system which is otherwise looking like rationing by price.  When you buy fossil fuel, you debit your TCQ.   If you are stingy, you can sell the excess.  If you are profiliate and fancy a weekend shopping in New York, you need to top up.   (Not Green Party policy, but I vote Tesco to run this as the Nectar Card seems to work OK.)

5. Do you think the people of Brighton and Hove are happy with your party, how safe is that bubble.

I think the Labour and Conservative opposition have done everything they can to make it fail and to publicise every problem they can.  I think Caroline Lucas will remain as MP, but I am unsure on the council.   They have, despite the odds, delivered 3/4 of their manifesto pledges.  This includes 500 empty homes brought back into use, paying the living wage (£7.85p/h) for all council staff and getting 80 private businesses in the city to do the same.   A 40% pay cut for the council chief executive, bringing the ratio between lowest and highest paid council employee to less than 1:10.   No Bedroom Tax Evictions (can you name a Labour council with the same?)    More here http://www.brightonhovegreens.org/achievements/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
Theimperialcoroner
February 23, 2015, 9:07pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,203
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from psgmariner

Swoon. I like her.

She from The Nunny isn't she? A hot, socialist who's not afraid to have a pint in the Tavern. I'm shallow, but she is already well ahead of the current incumbent.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
Marinerz93
February 23, 2015, 9:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Thank you for getting back so quickly Vicky.

1. The benefits system hasn't been working as it should for decades now and I agree you are right, it is going to take a lot of consultation but even having in your manifesto I believe would still be too soon, it needs over hauling by all party's in agreement.

2. Electric public transport generated by solar power and wind turbines is a great idea.  However we are taxed to the hilt in this country, road tax, fuel duty so you are going to cripple families trying to earn a living or destroying their social lives by stopping them using their car.

We buy in a lot of electricity from France's nuclear power station but they off load their carbon emissions on to us, how are you going to sort out the UK's energy crisis, the other party's knew about this 20 years ago and not enough has been done.

3. What makes you think that a legalised drugs won't have the same effects on crime.

4.  I just see this as another tax on families who save all year to go on holiday and your party hits them in their spending money.

5.  3/4 delivered of manifesto I would say is higher than most and you are always going to get sniping from other parties, especially when you don't deliver all your manifesto pledges  

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
mimma
February 23, 2015, 10:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,566
Gold Stars: 78
This is a very interesting debate!

There's quite a few points that I would like to add.

Why is Great Coates now so out of favour? Is it cost?

I've spent hours on Google Maps looking for another possible site, but can't find one, so it must be Peakes Parkway or nothing.

No matter where it ends up there will be protests, & I can understand the reasons for not wanting it, but the stadium has to be put somewhere, or let the club die.

Docks would be a preferential site, but again cost & availability rules it out.

Peakes Parkway should have been a duel carriageway. I can't think of another place where a main road into a town centre is a single lane. Well done N.E. Lincs planners on that one, you've done us proud.

The big issue for this site will be access/egress onto Peakes. It will be chaos. I spent 40 mins getting out of Scunny's ground, & can only see it being the same unless there is some major restructuring of the junctions & road.

The argument for it being next to a station doesn't hold water. This only applies to cities where they have a local rail network. We only have a single line in/out with 4 stations. As mentioned, the cost of rail travel in prohibitive, & I can't see that changing any time soon. Car travel is here to stay so we must make allowances for it, sorry to the Greens, but that is how it is.

When it comes down to it, there isn't an alternative, other than no football club at all. Everyone agrees that can't happen, so this scheme is the only hope we have of GTFC surviving & prospering.

My big hope is that the council are more sympathetic to the needs of the club, & don't get sucked in by all the counter arguments against, & let it die on its feet, like they did last time at Great Coates. They need to grow a backbone & consider the arguments for & against & make a decision rather than debate it (literally) to death.

I will not hold my breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
Nelly GTFC
February 23, 2015, 10:36pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Would they use the new stadium as a stalag ffs? This is a debate about whether or not we should / should not move to a new ground, not as to whether or not we'd be puppy feed for Putin?
Would it really matter if the Green Party said:  "Build it on Peaks Parkway asap"?

It's their other policies that people really look at and why they hardly get any votes, so their view is practically pointless in terms of a debate on whether a new stadium is built on Peaks Parkway or not.

I'm all in favor of a new stadium being built, whether it's Peaks Parkway or anywhere else.  I've spent hours and hours trying to gather new stadium signatures, but when it comes down to voting, their is more to look at than just who is going to say: "Yes" or "No" to a new stadium.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
realist
February 24, 2015, 3:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from grimsby pete
Dear Vicky,

Pete,
You can't have a topic asking for the politicians views then slag them off because they have a differing opinion to yours. I think it is very courageous of them to participate in this debate, particularly in this forum that Fenty has chickened out.
You  have also chosen not to live in the area so your views are pointless - leave this for the locals to debate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
Trawler
February 24, 2015, 1:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Steve Beasant Lib Dem PPC for Great Grimsby and Councillor for the East Marsh enters the fray....

Taken from:
http://stevebeasant.4mp.org.uk.....-views/#page-content

GRIMSBY TOWN FC, PROPOSED NEW STADIUM – MY VIEWS
by Steve Beasant on February 22, 2015
Many people have been asking about my views on Grimsby Town Football Club’s proposed new football ground, and I have decided to place my opinion on record.

I have taken an interest in Grimsby Town for many years, but in recent decades I have only been the occasional visitor. I first started going to see Town in the early 1960s, when the Grimsby Boys Brigade often carried out a collection at the ground at half-time and that is how I became ‘hooked’ on football.

I saw the team go through all of the dark years, dropping down into the old Division Four and then in the late 60s – I became a permanent fixture at the ground, particularly when Laurie McMenemy became manager in the period 1971-73. During the season 1972-1973 I only missed one match home and away and that was an away game at Wrexham, owing to my sister’s wedding.

In 1974, I decided to take up refereeing and refereed for just over ten years – officiating in Junior League Matches, Grimsby Saturday League, Sunday League, Lindsey Sunday League and Lincolnshire League. I also refereed many local cup finals some of which took place on the ‘hallowed turf’, Blundell Park, ran the line in a number of pre-season Grimsby Town Football Matches (both home and away), and one of my last matches was to run the line at John Fraser’s Testimonial Game at Blundell Park in 1983.

Still to this day, the first football result that I look for is Grimsby Towns, and often when I am out and about knocking on doors I will be watching my news feed for highlights of Grimsby’s match.

Even in the days when I use to travel around England, looking at the grounds of other football clubs – I always thought that Blundell Park was in urgent need of modernisation or rebuilding – the work that’s taken place since was only a ‘stop gap’.

I can understand the frustration of fans and the people connected with the club.

I was elected to represent the East Marsh Ward in 2003, and sat on the Planning Committee the last time that a Planning Application was discussed – I voted in favour. It was good planning application but that project never saw the ‘light of day’.

And we are now where we are, unfortunately! My own view is that Grimsby Town Football Club cannot indefinitely continue at Blundell Park. However, for me as an elected member it would be unwise of me to comment on this website about the arguments of the present application – I do not want to prejudice any future decision (who knows after May, I just might be a member of the Planning Committee).

There are two reasons why I don’t want to commit myself – we have not yet seen the deposited Planning Application – only proposed ideas in the Grimsby Telegraph. Secondly, members who serve on the Planning Committee or indeed any other member should keep an open mind about a planning application until the day of the Planning Committee – they need to hear all of the arguments both for and against.

If, however, I was to be elected to Parliament I would fully support the Football Club in working on the very best outcome for ALL residents of Great Grimsby – many of whom are Grimsby Town Fans.

Also, I am sure that everyone will agree that this matter needs a speedy resolution for those residents who live nearby and those who are involved in the project.

I hope this answers some of the questions that have been posed to me in the recent days, and I hope people will respect my impartiality and trust that the Planning Process will come to correct decision in the end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
barralad
February 24, 2015, 1:29pm
Mariners Trust
Does he need any help in getting off that fence?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
1mickylyons
February 24, 2015, 2:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Hello folks.

Yours,

Hello Vicky

Thanks for taking the time to respond and putting some wholesome comments to the forum. I personally like most fans of GTFC have become totally fed up with the way this new stadium has been handled by various Councils and Political Parties since it first came up for debate way back in the late 80s. I just want some honesty and by coming on here and putting yourself up to debate you will have gained plenty of respect from the likes of myself who otherwise may not have heard of the Greens
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
mimma
February 24, 2015, 5:00pm
Brandy Drinker
He's not sitting on the fence as you put it, he's on the planning committee that will be looking into granting planning permission. If he says he is in favour then he has declared his intentions without looking at the facts first. That would exclude him from the process of granting permission on this case.

It is better to keep someone like him on the committee who understands the needs of the club, rather than speaking out in favour & disqualifying himself from the process, & being replaced by someone who doesn't like football & hasn't a clue of the implications.

This is what happened last time, the blue rinse brigade refused planning permission for the Great Coates site. The rest as they say is history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
chaos33
February 24, 2015, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Trawler
Steve Beasant Lib Dem PPC for Great Grimsby and Councillor for the East Marsh enters the fray....

Taken from:

Many people have been asking about my views on Grimsby Town Football Club’s proposed new football ground, and I have decided to place my opinion on record.

I have taken an interest in Grimsby Town for many years, but in recent decades I have only been the occasional visitor. I first started going to see Town in the early 1960s, when the Grimsby Boys Brigade often carried out a collection at the ground at half-time and that is how I became ‘hooked’ on football.

I saw the team go through all of the dark years, dropping down into the old Division Four and then in the late 60s – I became a permanent fixture at the ground, particularly when Laurie McMenemy became manager in the period 1971-73. During the season 1972-1973 I only missed one match home and away and that was an away game at Wrexham, owing to my sister’s wedding.

In 1974, I decided to take up refereeing and refereed for just over ten years – officiating in Junior League Matches, Grimsby Saturday League, Sunday League, Lindsey Sunday League and Lincolnshire League. I also refereed many local cup finals some of which took place on the ‘hallowed turf’, Blundell Park, ran the line in a number of pre-season Grimsby Town Football Matches (both home and away), and one of my last matches was to run the line at John Fraser’s Testimonial Game at Blundell Park in 1983.

Still to this day, the first football result that I look for is Grimsby Towns, and often when I am out and about knocking on doors I will be watching my news feed for highlights of Grimsby’s match.

Even in the days when I use to travel around England, looking at the grounds of other football clubs – I always thought that Blundell Park was in urgent need of modernisation or rebuilding – the work that’s taken place since was only a ‘stop gap’.

I can understand the frustration of fans and the people connected with the club.

I was elected to represent the East Marsh Ward in 2003, and sat on the Planning Committee the last time that a Planning Application was discussed – I voted in favour. It was good planning application but that project never saw the ‘light of day’.

And we are now where we are, unfortunately! My own view is that Grimsby Town Football Club cannot indefinitely continue at Blundell Park. However, for me as an elected member it would be unwise of me to comment on this website about the arguments of the present application – I do not want to prejudice any future decision (who knows after May, I just might be a member of the Planning Committee).

There are two reasons why I don’t want to commit myself – we have not yet seen the deposited Planning Application – only proposed ideas in the Grimsby Telegraph. Secondly, members who serve on the Planning Committee or indeed any other member should keep an open mind about a planning application until the day of the Planning Committee – they need to hear all of the arguments both for and against.

If, however, I was to be elected to Parliament I would fully support the Football Club in working on the very best outcome for ALL residents of Great Grimsby – many of whom are Grimsby Town Fans.

Also, I am sure that everyone will agree that this matter needs a speedy resolution for those residents who live nearby and those who are involved in the project.

I hope this answers some of the questions that have been posed to me in the recent days, and I hope people will respect my impartiality and trust that the Planning Process will come to correct decision in the end.

Fantastic. 'I have been asked for my view and I've decided to place my comments on record so I have written a considerably long and detailed account of why I am not prepared to air my views'.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 95
chaos33
February 24, 2015, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Trawler

Taken from:

Fantastic. 'I have been asked for my view and I've decided to place my comments on record so I have written a considerably long and detailed account of why I am not prepared to air my views'.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
BS baffles brains
February 24, 2015, 6:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
I read on here, "Town didn't get planning for Great Coates", that is not True, the club did get planning consent for Great  Coates, The club, couldn't stomach the  74 planning conditions that came with the consent, they also failed to agree an acceptable purchase price for the land with Sutton estates, But they still have planning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
supertown
February 24, 2015, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 53
viccy,

I commend you for airing your views but.................legalize cannabis and look at the others later, really? you're having a laugh. Even the dutch are going back on their 'liberal' drugs laws.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
jock dock tower
February 24, 2015, 10:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from supertown
viccy,

I commend you for airing your views but.................legalize cannabis and look at the others later, really? you're having a laugh. Even the dutch are going back on their 'liberal' drugs laws.

I've seen countless fights and bad injuries over the years when the pubs kick out.

I've yet to see anybody who's had a spliff too many do anything but p*ss themselves laughing.

...and we want to harden our laws on dope? Is it me?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
barralad
February 24, 2015, 10:48pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from mimma
He's not sitting on the fence as you put it, he's on the planning committee that will be looking into granting planning permission. If he says he is in favour then he has declared his intentions without looking at the facts first. That would exclude him from the process of granting permission on this case.

It is better to keep someone like him on the committee who understands the needs of the club, rather than speaking out in favour & disqualifying himself from the process, & being replaced by someone who doesn't like football & hasn't a clue of the implications.

This is what happened last time, the blue rinse brigade refused planning permission for the Great Coates site. The rest as they say is history.

He doesn't say he is on the planning committee. He says he was on it last time a planning application was made. The only Lib. Dem. on the planning committee is Andrew De Freitas.
As Chaos quite rightly said it took him several hundred words to tell us he hasn't decided what to do...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
supertown
February 24, 2015, 11:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 53
You don't really think fighting is the only fallout to drug taking do you ?

I've seen countless fights and bad injuries over the years when the pubs kick out.

I've yet to see anybody who's had a spliff too many do anything but p*ss themselves laughing.

...and we want to harden our laws on dope? Is it me?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
mimma
February 24, 2015, 11:27pm
Brandy Drinker
That's good then, by coming out against the plans before they have even been submitted means he has excluded himself from taking part in the planning process.

By prejudging the application he now cannot sit on the planning committee when (if) the planning application is made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
ginnywings
February 25, 2015, 12:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from barralad

He doesn't say he is on the planning committee. He says he was on it last time a planning application was made. The only Lib. Dem. on the planning committee is Andrew De Freitas.
As Chaos quite rightly said it took him several hundred words to tell us he hasn't decided what to do...

That's the way i read it too. Plenty of splinters in that there derriere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
jock dock tower
February 25, 2015, 8:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from supertown
You don't really think fighting is the only fallout to drug taking do you ?

Of course not, but I never hear any uproar from politicians or the public to have alcohol banned. Why do we have such double standards when dealing with drugs of all kinds? Decriminalise them and you (a) take the lure away for young folk who could be tempted into them and (b) reduce crime accordingly because addicts don't need to have access to tons of money to ease their cravings - therefore burglary reduces dramatically. It just makes so much sense to me, and it's something I've advocated for many years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
BS baffles brains
February 25, 2015, 10:45am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
Andrew Defreitas is not on the planning committee, the Lib Dem on planning is Christine Mcgilligan-Fell, she is also a councillor for the park ward, which covers the stadium site.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 95
horsforthmariner
February 25, 2015, 10:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,614
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from barralad

I think Steve is quite canny here - if you read between the lines he is obviously supportive of the new stadium but doesn't want to prejudice any decision or probably cause a spat with his political colleague. Working in Politics I look at this comment and think this is probably good news for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 95
Garth
February 25, 2015, 11:03am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from rancido

The reason Freeman was so busy was it's close proximity the Docks and the thriving fishing industry. The whole surrounding area , all the side streets off Freemo and the East Marsh, housed vast numbers of people employed in the fishing industry. Freeman Street started to decline at the same time as the fishing industry declined and the housing clearances in the area. This also coincided with the development of Top Town. Very few towns of Grimsby's size can accommodate two large shopping areas and Freeman Street was the one that suffered. Regardless of whatever is done to revitalise Freeman Street it will never compete with Top Town. Unfortunately it's time , like BP , is past and nothing will change that.
The Top Town area is constricted and restricted by the road system surrounding it with the resulting traffic congestion. It makes perfect sense to have a shopping development away from the town centre, but not too far out, to serve the areas of Waltham , New Waltham, Holton-le Clay and Scartho Top.

Very good post especially the points about Freeman Street, when the fishing industry collapsed so did the street as we knew it, no amount of money that has been wasted on curved lamposts and street paving will alter that,  like it or lump it the focus is now on Top Town and the out of town centre Supermarkets.

Which is why the current Town planning at Peakes Parkway makes sense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 95
Garth
February 25, 2015, 11:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from mimma

I think he was clever to hint at his position without stating the obvious ;   good on him for protecting his position as planning committee member
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 95
VickyDunnGreen
February 26, 2015, 8:44pm
Coke Drinker
Hello Everyone.
Thanks very much for your views, which I've read and considered carefully.   If you want to know any more, or come and meet me while leafleting, do find me on Facebook (DrVickyDunnGreenParty) and Twitter (VickyDunnGreen.)

All the best to you.
Vicky
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 95
Fcukthescunts
February 26, 2015, 10:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Despite not living in area anymore I must say that a lot of what Mel Onn says is very sensible and reasoned. Yes sat on fence ( you would expect her too) but very much understanding that the club needs a new ground and a football club is central to a community.
I do think the traffic of the plans for ground need looking at and developing, one entrance from development in and out to road network with potentially 14k people in attendance is asking for problems. I am very much behind moving to this ground ASAP but traffic issues will be the most annoying part for local residents once the development goes ahead so best to stay one step ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 95
BIGChris
February 27, 2015, 6:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Despite not living in area anymore I must say that a lot of what Mel Onn says is very sensible and reasoned. Yes sat on fence ( you would expect her too) but very much understanding that the club needs a new ground and a football club is central to a community.
I do think the traffic of the plans for ground need looking at and developing, one entrance from development in and out to road network with potentially 14k people in attendance is asking for problems. I am very much behind moving to this ground ASAP but traffic issues will be the most annoying part for local residents once the development goes ahead so best to stay one step ahead.

I agree that traffic is the major issue (IMO) but that is what the planning process is for.

Hopefully the principle gets the go ahead and the fine tuning like traffic and highways is sorted at the detailed planning stage.

I am of the view that the central location will mean many more people will walk, and this should actively be encouraged, along with cycling and bus schemes. Things can be made to work
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 95
sonik
February 27, 2015, 11:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Quoted from BIGChris

I agree that traffic is the major issue (IMO) but that is what the planning process is for.

Hopefully the principle gets the go ahead and the fine tuning like traffic and highways is sorted at the detailed planning stage.

I am of the view that the central location will mean many more people will walk, and this should actively be encouraged, along with cycling and bus schemes. Things can be made to work

Wherever you put a football stadium or have any sporting event for that matter you will have a build up of traffic congestion. This location I believe will cope better than almost anywhere you go at present. We have many directions that can approach the Park Way and at times when a match takes place at either 3pm or 7.45pm. This must be an improvement on our current home BP? I like most have travelled this land from the Tyne to the Trent. ( Ha Ha)  We aren't talking of masses like at Old Trafford for instance. Yes we hope that crowds increase but my view is that this scheme can be great for this Town. People with concerns and rightly so have another two chances this and next Sunday to visit the site and I hope that they can get a picture of what may possibly become reality. We need this people.  Please back it and spread the word.

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 95
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 12:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

It`s on my doorstep so I will walk after a rather hefty lunch thanks for the encouragement BC.Non of the objectors have been down our Avenue or if they have they must have swerved me but rest assured the day De Freitas shows his face he will get his just desserts and I will make his ears bleed
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 95
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from sonik

Wherever you put a football stadium or have any sporting event for that matter you will have a build up of traffic congestion. This location I believe will cope better than almost anywhere you go at present. We have many directions that can approach the Park Way and at times when a match takes place at either 3pm or 7.45pm. This must be an improvement on our current home BP? I like most have travelled this land from the Tyne to the Trent. ( Ha Ha)  We aren't talking of masses like at Old Trafford for instance. Yes we hope that crowds increase but my view is that this scheme can be great for this Town. People with concerns and rightly so have another two chances this and next Sunday to visit the site and I hope that they can get a picture of what may possibly become reality. We need this people.  Please back it and spread the word.

UTM!

Quite interesting seeing people`s different views and especially Town fans who DONT want the move or any move from BP. I personally along with what seems the majority would love to see it built on the Docks or Freemo and think it would be better for traffic but for whatever reason the option is Peaks Parkway and people just don't seem able to grasp it? I blame the Council for all this as they were the ones who said Great Coates was the best option after a long winded feasibility study that cost the Club money it could ill afford. The feasibility study should have wiped King George,The Docks,Freemo,BP and all other locations from the mix and once it was agreed that Great Coates or Peaks Parkway was the place they should have helped the Club deliver.The Scartho Baths fiasco sums them up perfectly NOT A CLUE.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 95
sonik
February 27, 2015, 1:04pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Quite interesting seeing people`s different views and especially Town fans who DONT want the move or any move from BP. I personally along with what seems the majority would love to see it built on the Docks or Freemo and think it would be better for traffic but for whatever reason the option is Peaks Parkway and people just don't seem able to grasp it? I blame the Council for all this as they were the ones who said Great Coates was the best option after a long winded feasibility study that cost the Club money it could ill afford. The feasibility study should have wiped King George,The Docks,Freemo,BP and all other locations from the mix and once it was agreed that Great Coates or Peaks Parkway was the place they should have helped the Club deliver.The Scartho Baths fiasco sums them up perfectly NOT A CLUE.

Retail enabling or developing must be part of this wherever it goes. The Docks and Freemo just don't and can't help with this. That's what people aren't grasping in my view.

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 95
psgmariner
February 27, 2015, 1:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I remember hearing ABP would want too much for land on the docks.

What's the problem with Freemo? Seem ripe for retail development. I grasp the fact that people keep telling me things are impossible but I am not sure any of the reasons why have been explained.

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 95
Maringer
February 27, 2015, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,496
Gold Stars: 185
The problem with Freemo is that you'd have to flatten dozens and dozens of privately-owned properties and I expect the majority the owners of these probably don't want to sell up and have their property bulldozed. It's a built-up road with pretty much no open areas anywhere.

I can't imagine it would be anything except eye-wateringly expensive to try and redevelop this area in comparison to a 'green field' location.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 95
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 2:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from sonik

Retail enabling or developing must be part of this wherever it goes. The Docks and Freemo just don't and can't help with this. That's what people aren't grasping in my view.

UTM!

I cant see why Peaks Parkway is any better or worse than the Docks/Freemo area unless were talking about the edge of Town developments that are now all the rage? The Government have been saying for years brownbelt should be redeveloped and greenbelt left alone and I can see and sympathise with people who argue from that angle. However and I harp back to that is no fault of GTFC because they want a ground it`s the fault of those who oversaw the so called feasibility study and decreed firstly Great Coates and now Peaks Parkway to be the most suitable site.Peaks Parkway ticks the vast majority of boxes as a fan of GTFC and a Grimbarian lets get it built.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 95
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 2:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
The problem with Freemo is that you'd have to flatten dozens and dozens of privately-owned properties and I expect the majority the owners of these probably don't want to sell up and have their property bulldozed. It's a built-up road with pretty much no open areas anywhere.

I can't imagine it would be anything except eye-wateringly expensive to try and redevelop this area in comparison to a 'green field' location.

If you get chance have a gander down Railway St I don't often venture that way but due to the latest balls up with roadworks at Riby SQ ive been going that way and quite a build up is developing.Regardless of football stadiums Freemo needs pulling down and redeveloping it`s just a totally dead area and has been for over 25 years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 95
rancido
February 27, 2015, 7:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

If you get chance have a gander down Railway St I don't often venture that way but due to the latest balls up with roadworks at Riby SQ ive been going that way and quite a build up is developing.Regardless of football stadiums Freemo needs pulling down and redeveloping it`s just a totally dead area and has been for over 25 years.

JF explained that the Freemo area was a complete no-go because there are too many landowners involved - the areas acquisition would be too complicated. The Docks keep getting mentioned but once again you have to buy the land off ABP and they don't usually sell land. With the upsurge in Wind Farm interest I'm sure ABP will want to hang on to all they have in the docks area in view of attracting future investment in the renewable industry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 95
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.