Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 377 Guests

Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway

This thread currently has 13,466 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Nelly GTFC
February 23, 2015, 4:49pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,736
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Trawler
Here's Melanie Onn's (Lab candidate) viewpoint (she preferred not to debate the matter on twitter):

https://www.facebook.com/Melanie4Grimsby/posts/339566372901517
A very fair, but neutral perspective to the proposals.  I actually liked what she had to say to be honest.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 95
barralad
February 23, 2015, 5:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
A very fair, but neutral perspective to the proposals.  I actually liked what she had to say to be honest.

Agree-mostly. I'm a bit concerned about this seemingly common view out there that somehow the club can afford to move without the finance generated by any anchor tenant-be that a retailer or a house building firm....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 95
VickyDunnGreen
February 23, 2015, 5:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -5
Hello folks.
I'm Vicky Dunn, the Green Party PPC for Grimsby.    At risk of being unpopular, I told the truth as I see it.  I've come on here rather than Twitter because 140 characters is a bit limiting.

I think Peaks Parkway is the wrong site for a new stadium + shops/supermarket + housing.   There is no place anywhere in the area for another out of town shopping development, and I believe we should consolidate the shops in the town centres.    As for housing, what the town really needs is affordable housing not the expensive variety.  The recent news that the Birds  Eye site and the old Western School site may be set for housing is welcome.

I do think a very close by rail link is needed for easy transfer of away fans to the stadium.  As I've been informed on Twitter, few fans currently travel by train, but I believe that will and must change over the next 20 years.

The local residents are very unhappy, and I have been told (I am trying to gather more information) that the postal questionaires about the issue mysteriously missed Weelsby Avenue out!   As for the allotments, the occupancy rate was a lot higher than 50% before this saga began.   I love my allotment (OK, cue hippy remarks now) which is on another site, but if I'd had one on that site I'd be seriously considering giving it up. Allotments are a really important community facility, and I believe they will  become more important in coming years.  We shouldn't get rid of any, and if the council/community groups can bid for funds to extend the number and diversity of people growing their own food, then that is an important thing.  It's important for physical and mental health, provides space for wildlife, and has no food miles or packaging involved.   That's why I believe the allotments are an important piece in this puzzle.

Lastly, does anyone have any information on whether, if the Freeman St flats came down, that site would be suitable in size?  I've met some of the residents there and seen their heartfelt misery at the prospect of being evicted and I hope a solution (repeal of bedroom tax to solve underoccupany?) can be found.  BUT, if those flats come down it seems a better site for transport, for shops, and for affordable housing and a Stadium if it would fit.  I'd welcome more information on this.

Yours,
Vicky Dunn, Green Party PPC for Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 95
BIGChris
February 23, 2015, 5:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
This is where I have issues with virtually every politician regardless of colour.

To my mind they should be representing the people of the area not forcing opinion on the electorate. You may "think that PP is the wrong site" but surely you should reflect the opinions of the electorate whatever they may be?

As for Town centres being the place for shopping I think you are stuck in the past or at very least the present. Town centre shopping is on the wane, internet is seeing to that and will continue to hasten the demise. I see Town centres of the future being far more about leisure ( pubs, restaurants, entertainment etc and fewer and fewer shops)

The allotment issue can easily be sorted with a new improved facility provided. This HAS been mentioned previously but chosen to be ignored by you and others who have made their minds up.

As for leaflets not being delivered I note that Cllr DeFrietas's leaflets have not been put through my letterbox despite being a resident if Park Ward for 20 yrs. maybe the fact that he didn't get the response from me he wanted when he called some 14 months ago with his blatant propaganda which was, at the very best, fictitious.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 95
alvinghammariner
February 23, 2015, 5:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
This train station situation is massively over stated. Reading have their ground miles from the station and a large number of fans (home and away) get busses from the town to the ground, the local bus company must make a killing from it.

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 95
Marinerz93
February 23, 2015, 5:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
It's not if Viccy but when, the flats are coming down (I was told within 3 years), I've carried out Electrical work there and the tenants are being paid to move out and when they go, the place is gutted.

Personally I would love the new ground to be there but who would pay for demolition and construction Viccy.

Can you explain why your party if they love allotments so much, why they haven't hammered GY council due what they charge people in Grimsby, which is among the highest in the country.  How many of the allotment holders live within walking distance of the allotments.

While you are here Viccy can you clear up some of your party's policies

1. Can you explain Citzens Income and what that policy means.
2. What would be the new restrictions be for motorists regarding speed, tax and road works.
3. Would your party really legalise cocaine and heroin.
4. What are your party's plans on air travel.
5. Do you think the people of Brighton and Hove are happy with your party, how safe is that bubble.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 95
gytone
February 23, 2015, 6:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,024
Gold Stars: 8
For god sake Vicky, and everybody else,  this is THE only suitable site, the club and the council if I remember correctly, have done numerous feasibility studies and Peaks Parkway has come up as the best site, how many more times do people have to be told !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 95
WetFlannel
February 23, 2015, 6:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from VickyDunnGreen
Hello folks.
I'm Vicky Dunn, the Green Party PPC for Grimsby.    At risk of being unpopular, I told the truth as I see it.  I've come on here rather than Twitter because 140 characters is a bit limiting.

I think Peaks Parkway is the wrong site for a new stadium + shops/supermarket + housing.   There is no place anywhere in the area for another out of town shopping development, and I believe we should consolidate the shops in the town centres.    As for housing, what the town really needs is affordable housing not the expensive variety.  The recent news that the Birds  Eye site and the old Western School site may be set for housing is welcome.

I do think a very close by rail link is needed for easy transfer of away fans to the stadium.  As I've been informed on Twitter, few fans currently travel by train, but I believe that will and must change over the next 20 years.

The local residents are very unhappy, and I have been told (I am trying to gather more information) that the postal questionaires about the issue mysteriously missed Weelsby Avenue out!   As for the allotments, the occupancy rate was a lot higher than 50% before this saga began.   I love my allotment (OK, cue hippy remarks now) which is on another site, but if I'd had one on that site I'd be seriously considering giving it up. Allotments are a really important community facility, and I believe they will  become more important in coming years.  We shouldn't get rid of any, and if the council/community groups can bid for funds to extend the number and diversity of people growing their own food, then that is an important thing.  It's important for physical and mental health, provides space for wildlife, and has no food miles or packaging involved.   That's why I believe the allotments are an important piece in this puzzle.

Lastly, does anyone have any information on whether, if the Freeman St flats came down, that site would be suitable in size?  I've met some of the residents there and seen their heartfelt misery at the prospect of being evicted and I hope a solution (repeal of bedroom tax to solve underoccupany?) can be found.  BUT, if those flats come down it seems a better site for transport, for shops, and for affordable housing and a Stadium if it would fit.  I'd welcome more information on this.

Yours,
Vicky Dunn, Green Party PPC for Grimsby.

You're right, it would be good if we used the 2 sites mentioned for housing... But that's still not enough. The amount of new housing in this town is disgusting. Take out the new stadium (which you're always going to be fighting a losing battle on here with, especially since it's clear it makes sense) and the benefits of development still outweigh the negatives. Shame, I was considering voting for the Green Party this year. I wish your party the best outside the local area!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 95
BIGChris
February 23, 2015, 6:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from gytone
For god sake Vicky, and everybody else,  this is THE only suitable site, the club and the council if I remember correctly, have done numerous feasibility studies and Peaks Parkway has come up as the best site, how many more times do people have to be told !

I understand that an independent study has been undertaken to look into the economic benefits as well as the location etc

Surely IF that comes out in favour then it will be very difficult for the council not to accept it and push on with the development?
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 95
jock dock tower
February 23, 2015, 6:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Good on you Vicky for taking the initiative and coming on here to try and add to the debate, and despite what the other candidates have said - or not as the case may be - you're the only one who's actually come on here and risk the brickbats that will undoubtedly come your way.

Comment has already been made about town centres dying on their feet, and that you're out of touch to want to keep and regenerate them. I'm with you on this. I well remember the Freeman Street of the 1960's and 1970's and how it was the very nerve centre of the town with a wonderful market, great boozers, 4 butchers that I remember and most other kinds of shops as well. It was vibrant. Compare it with now, and then consider what it used to be like before the advent of Sainsburys, Asda etc. These retail behemoths haven't improved the quality of life of any town, any where, since they got their big expansionist plans off the drawing boards. They've killed communities, every bit as much as Thatcher did.

There's absolutely no reason why town centres can't be regenerated again, with living accommodation, shops, and the leisure facilities already mentioned. Rents would have to come down of course, and the local councils could actually lead the way here with proper planning for such schemes, and the compulsory purchase of empty properties bought for speculation.

"Reflecting the opinions of the electorate" I wholeheartedly agree with you Chris, once a politician is elected. At the moment what Vicky is saying are her views of the situation, and I think you'll probably find that all candidates will do likewise, albeit I doubt any of the others will air their views very openly on here. To be fair though, it is a decision for local councillors rather than the MP who is elected, whoever they may be, albeit I fully concur that the weight of any such backing from the MP might carry considerable clout. I think Vicky's savvy enough to realise that it would be highly unlikely she would be fulfilling that role come May 8th.

UTM.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.