Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 289 Guests

Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway

This thread currently has 13,445 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
BS baffles brains
February 25, 2015, 10:45am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 1
Andrew Defreitas is not on the planning committee, the Lib Dem on planning is Christine Mcgilligan-Fell, she is also a councillor for the park ward, which covers the stadium site.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 95
horsforthmariner
February 25, 2015, 10:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from barralad

He doesn't say he is on the planning committee. He says he was on it last time a planning application was made. The only Lib. Dem. on the planning committee is Andrew De Freitas.
As Chaos quite rightly said it took him several hundred words to tell us he hasn't decided what to do...

I think Steve is quite canny here - if you read between the lines he is obviously supportive of the new stadium but doesn't want to prejudice any decision or probably cause a spat with his political colleague. Working in Politics I look at this comment and think this is probably good news for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 95
Garth
February 25, 2015, 11:03am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from rancido

The reason Freeman was so busy was it's close proximity the Docks and the thriving fishing industry. The whole surrounding area , all the side streets off Freemo and the East Marsh, housed vast numbers of people employed in the fishing industry. Freeman Street started to decline at the same time as the fishing industry declined and the housing clearances in the area. This also coincided with the development of Top Town. Very few towns of Grimsby's size can accommodate two large shopping areas and Freeman Street was the one that suffered. Regardless of whatever is done to revitalise Freeman Street it will never compete with Top Town. Unfortunately it's time , like BP , is past and nothing will change that.
The Top Town area is constricted and restricted by the road system surrounding it with the resulting traffic congestion. It makes perfect sense to have a shopping development away from the town centre, but not too far out, to serve the areas of Waltham , New Waltham, Holton-le Clay and Scartho Top.

Very good post especially the points about Freeman Street, when the fishing industry collapsed so did the street as we knew it, no amount of money that has been wasted on curved lamposts and street paving will alter that,  like it or lump it the focus is now on Top Town and the out of town centre Supermarkets.

Which is why the current Town planning at Peakes Parkway makes sense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 95
Garth
February 25, 2015, 11:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from mimma
He's not sitting on the fence as you put it, he's on the planning committee that will be looking into granting planning permission. If he says he is in favour then he has declared his intentions without looking at the facts first. That would exclude him from the process of granting permission on this case.

It is better to keep someone like him on the committee who understands the needs of the club, rather than speaking out in favour & disqualifying himself from the process, & being replaced by someone who doesn't like football & hasn't a clue of the implications.

This is what happened last time, the blue rinse brigade refused planning permission for the Great Coates site. The rest as they say is history.

I think he was clever to hint at his position without stating the obvious ;   good on him for protecting his position as planning committee member
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 95
VickyDunnGreen
February 26, 2015, 8:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -5
Hello Everyone.
Thanks very much for your views, which I've read and considered carefully.   If you want to know any more, or come and meet me while leafleting, do find me on Facebook (DrVickyDunnGreenParty) and Twitter (VickyDunnGreen.)

All the best to you.
Vicky
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 95
Fcukthescunts
February 26, 2015, 10:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Despite not living in area anymore I must say that a lot of what Mel Onn says is very sensible and reasoned. Yes sat on fence ( you would expect her too) but very much understanding that the club needs a new ground and a football club is central to a community.
I do think the traffic of the plans for ground need looking at and developing, one entrance from development in and out to road network with potentially 14k people in attendance is asking for problems. I am very much behind moving to this ground ASAP but traffic issues will be the most annoying part for local residents once the development goes ahead so best to stay one step ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 95
BIGChris
February 27, 2015, 6:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Despite not living in area anymore I must say that a lot of what Mel Onn says is very sensible and reasoned. Yes sat on fence ( you would expect her too) but very much understanding that the club needs a new ground and a football club is central to a community.
I do think the traffic of the plans for ground need looking at and developing, one entrance from development in and out to road network with potentially 14k people in attendance is asking for problems. I am very much behind moving to this ground ASAP but traffic issues will be the most annoying part for local residents once the development goes ahead so best to stay one step ahead.

I agree that traffic is the major issue (IMO) but that is what the planning process is for.

Hopefully the principle gets the go ahead and the fine tuning like traffic and highways is sorted at the detailed planning stage.

I am of the view that the central location will mean many more people will walk, and this should actively be encouraged, along with cycling and bus schemes. Things can be made to work
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 95
sonik
February 27, 2015, 11:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from BIGChris

I agree that traffic is the major issue (IMO) but that is what the planning process is for.

Hopefully the principle gets the go ahead and the fine tuning like traffic and highways is sorted at the detailed planning stage.

I am of the view that the central location will mean many more people will walk, and this should actively be encouraged, along with cycling and bus schemes. Things can be made to work

Wherever you put a football stadium or have any sporting event for that matter you will have a build up of traffic congestion. This location I believe will cope better than almost anywhere you go at present. We have many directions that can approach the Park Way and at times when a match takes place at either 3pm or 7.45pm. This must be an improvement on our current home BP? I like most have travelled this land from the Tyne to the Trent. ( Ha Ha)  We aren't talking of masses like at Old Trafford for instance. Yes we hope that crowds increase but my view is that this scheme can be great for this Town. People with concerns and rightly so have another two chances this and next Sunday to visit the site and I hope that they can get a picture of what may possibly become reality. We need this people.  Please back it and spread the word.

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 95
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 12:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from BIGChris

It`s on my doorstep so I will walk after a rather hefty lunch thanks for the encouragement BC.Non of the objectors have been down our Avenue or if they have they must have swerved me but rest assured the day De Freitas shows his face he will get his just desserts and I will make his ears bleed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 95
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from sonik

Wherever you put a football stadium or have any sporting event for that matter you will have a build up of traffic congestion. This location I believe will cope better than almost anywhere you go at present. We have many directions that can approach the Park Way and at times when a match takes place at either 3pm or 7.45pm. This must be an improvement on our current home BP? I like most have travelled this land from the Tyne to the Trent. ( Ha Ha)  We aren't talking of masses like at Old Trafford for instance. Yes we hope that crowds increase but my view is that this scheme can be great for this Town. People with concerns and rightly so have another two chances this and next Sunday to visit the site and I hope that they can get a picture of what may possibly become reality. We need this people.  Please back it and spread the word.

UTM!

Quite interesting seeing people`s different views and especially Town fans who DONT want the move or any move from BP. I personally along with what seems the majority would love to see it built on the Docks or Freemo and think it would be better for traffic but for whatever reason the option is Peaks Parkway and people just don't seem able to grasp it? I blame the Council for all this as they were the ones who said Great Coates was the best option after a long winded feasibility study that cost the Club money it could ill afford. The feasibility study should have wiped King George,The Docks,Freemo,BP and all other locations from the mix and once it was agreed that Great Coates or Peaks Parkway was the place they should have helped the Club deliver.The Scartho Baths fiasco sums them up perfectly NOT A CLUE.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.