Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 242 Guests

Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway

This thread currently has 13,467 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
February 24, 2015, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Trawler
Steve Beasant Lib Dem PPC for Great Grimsby and Councillor for the East Marsh enters the fray....

Taken from:
http://stevebeasant.4mp.org.uk.....-views/#page-content

GRIMSBY TOWN FC, PROPOSED NEW STADIUM – MY VIEWS
by Steve Beasant on February 22, 2015
Many people have been asking about my views on Grimsby Town Football Club’s proposed new football ground, and I have decided to place my opinion on record.

I have taken an interest in Grimsby Town for many years, but in recent decades I have only been the occasional visitor. I first started going to see Town in the early 1960s, when the Grimsby Boys Brigade often carried out a collection at the ground at half-time and that is how I became ‘hooked’ on football.

I saw the team go through all of the dark years, dropping down into the old Division Four and then in the late 60s – I became a permanent fixture at the ground, particularly when Laurie McMenemy became manager in the period 1971-73. During the season 1972-1973 I only missed one match home and away and that was an away game at Wrexham, owing to my sister’s wedding.

In 1974, I decided to take up refereeing and refereed for just over ten years – officiating in Junior League Matches, Grimsby Saturday League, Sunday League, Lindsey Sunday League and Lincolnshire League. I also refereed many local cup finals some of which took place on the ‘hallowed turf’, Blundell Park, ran the line in a number of pre-season Grimsby Town Football Matches (both home and away), and one of my last matches was to run the line at John Fraser’s Testimonial Game at Blundell Park in 1983.

Still to this day, the first football result that I look for is Grimsby Towns, and often when I am out and about knocking on doors I will be watching my news feed for highlights of Grimsby’s match.

Even in the days when I use to travel around England, looking at the grounds of other football clubs – I always thought that Blundell Park was in urgent need of modernisation or rebuilding – the work that’s taken place since was only a ‘stop gap’.

I can understand the frustration of fans and the people connected with the club.

I was elected to represent the East Marsh Ward in 2003, and sat on the Planning Committee the last time that a Planning Application was discussed – I voted in favour. It was good planning application but that project never saw the ‘light of day’.

And we are now where we are, unfortunately! My own view is that Grimsby Town Football Club cannot indefinitely continue at Blundell Park. However, for me as an elected member it would be unwise of me to comment on this website about the arguments of the present application – I do not want to prejudice any future decision (who knows after May, I just might be a member of the Planning Committee).

There are two reasons why I don’t want to commit myself – we have not yet seen the deposited Planning Application – only proposed ideas in the Grimsby Telegraph. Secondly, members who serve on the Planning Committee or indeed any other member should keep an open mind about a planning application until the day of the Planning Committee – they need to hear all of the arguments both for and against.

If, however, I was to be elected to Parliament I would fully support the Football Club in working on the very best outcome for ALL residents of Great Grimsby – many of whom are Grimsby Town Fans.

Also, I am sure that everyone will agree that this matter needs a speedy resolution for those residents who live nearby and those who are involved in the project.

I hope this answers some of the questions that have been posed to me in the recent days, and I hope people will respect my impartiality and trust that the Planning Process will come to correct decision in the end.

Fantastic. 'I have been asked for my view and I've decided to place my comments on record so I have written a considerably long and detailed account of why I am not prepared to air my views'.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 95
chaos33
February 24, 2015, 5:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Trawler
Steve Beasant Lib Dem PPC for Great Grimsby and Councillor for the East Marsh enters the fray....

Taken from:
http://stevebeasant.4mp.org.uk.....-views/#page-content

GRIMSBY TOWN FC, PROPOSED NEW STADIUM – MY VIEWS
by Steve Beasant on February 22, 2015
Many people have been asking about my views on Grimsby Town Football Club’s proposed new football ground, and I have decided to place my opinion on record.

I have taken an interest in Grimsby Town for many years, but in recent decades I have only been the occasional visitor. I first started going to see Town in the early 1960s, when the Grimsby Boys Brigade often carried out a collection at the ground at half-time and that is how I became ‘hooked’ on football.

I saw the team go through all of the dark years, dropping down into the old Division Four and then in the late 60s – I became a permanent fixture at the ground, particularly when Laurie McMenemy became manager in the period 1971-73. During the season 1972-1973 I only missed one match home and away and that was an away game at Wrexham, owing to my sister’s wedding.

In 1974, I decided to take up refereeing and refereed for just over ten years – officiating in Junior League Matches, Grimsby Saturday League, Sunday League, Lindsey Sunday League and Lincolnshire League. I also refereed many local cup finals some of which took place on the ‘hallowed turf’, Blundell Park, ran the line in a number of pre-season Grimsby Town Football Matches (both home and away), and one of my last matches was to run the line at John Fraser’s Testimonial Game at Blundell Park in 1983.

Still to this day, the first football result that I look for is Grimsby Towns, and often when I am out and about knocking on doors I will be watching my news feed for highlights of Grimsby’s match.

Even in the days when I use to travel around England, looking at the grounds of other football clubs – I always thought that Blundell Park was in urgent need of modernisation or rebuilding – the work that’s taken place since was only a ‘stop gap’.

I can understand the frustration of fans and the people connected with the club.

I was elected to represent the East Marsh Ward in 2003, and sat on the Planning Committee the last time that a Planning Application was discussed – I voted in favour. It was good planning application but that project never saw the ‘light of day’.

And we are now where we are, unfortunately! My own view is that Grimsby Town Football Club cannot indefinitely continue at Blundell Park. However, for me as an elected member it would be unwise of me to comment on this website about the arguments of the present application – I do not want to prejudice any future decision (who knows after May, I just might be a member of the Planning Committee).

There are two reasons why I don’t want to commit myself – we have not yet seen the deposited Planning Application – only proposed ideas in the Grimsby Telegraph. Secondly, members who serve on the Planning Committee or indeed any other member should keep an open mind about a planning application until the day of the Planning Committee – they need to hear all of the arguments both for and against.

If, however, I was to be elected to Parliament I would fully support the Football Club in working on the very best outcome for ALL residents of Great Grimsby – many of whom are Grimsby Town Fans.

Also, I am sure that everyone will agree that this matter needs a speedy resolution for those residents who live nearby and those who are involved in the project.

I hope this answers some of the questions that have been posed to me in the recent days, and I hope people will respect my impartiality and trust that the Planning Process will come to correct decision in the end.

Fantastic. 'I have been asked for my view and I've decided to place my comments on record so I have written a considerably long and detailed account of why I am not prepared to air my views'.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
BS baffles brains
February 24, 2015, 6:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 1
I read on here, "Town didn't get planning for Great Coates", that is not True, the club did get planning consent for Great  Coates, The club, couldn't stomach the  74 planning conditions that came with the consent, they also failed to agree an acceptable purchase price for the land with Sutton estates, But they still have planning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
supertown
February 24, 2015, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 53
viccy,

I commend you for airing your views but.................legalize cannabis and look at the others later, really? you're having a laugh. Even the dutch are going back on their 'liberal' drugs laws.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
jock dock tower
February 24, 2015, 10:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from supertown
viccy,

I commend you for airing your views but.................legalize cannabis and look at the others later, really? you're having a laugh. Even the dutch are going back on their 'liberal' drugs laws.

I've seen countless fights and bad injuries over the years when the pubs kick out.

I've yet to see anybody who's had a spliff too many do anything but p*ss themselves laughing.

...and we want to harden our laws on dope? Is it me?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
barralad
February 24, 2015, 10:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from mimma
He's not sitting on the fence as you put it, he's on the planning committee that will be looking into granting planning permission. If he says he is in favour then he has declared his intentions without looking at the facts first. That would exclude him from the process of granting permission on this case.

It is better to keep someone like him on the committee who understands the needs of the club, rather than speaking out in favour & disqualifying himself from the process, & being replaced by someone who doesn't like football & hasn't a clue of the implications.

This is what happened last time, the blue rinse brigade refused planning permission for the Great Coates site. The rest as they say is history.

He doesn't say he is on the planning committee. He says he was on it last time a planning application was made. The only Lib. Dem. on the planning committee is Andrew De Freitas.
As Chaos quite rightly said it took him several hundred words to tell us he hasn't decided what to do...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
supertown
February 24, 2015, 11:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 53
You don't really think fighting is the only fallout to drug taking do you ?
Quoted from jock dock tower

I've seen countless fights and bad injuries over the years when the pubs kick out.

I've yet to see anybody who's had a spliff too many do anything but p*ss themselves laughing.

...and we want to harden our laws on dope? Is it me?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
mimma
February 24, 2015, 11:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,572
Gold Stars: 78
That's good then, by coming out against the plans before they have even been submitted means he has excluded himself from taking part in the planning process.

By prejudging the application he now cannot sit on the planning committee when (if) the planning application is made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
ginnywings
February 25, 2015, 12:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

He doesn't say he is on the planning committee. He says he was on it last time a planning application was made. The only Lib. Dem. on the planning committee is Andrew De Freitas.
As Chaos quite rightly said it took him several hundred words to tell us he hasn't decided what to do...

That's the way i read it too. Plenty of splinters in that there derriere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
jock dock tower
February 25, 2015, 8:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from supertown
You don't really think fighting is the only fallout to drug taking do you ?

Of course not, but I never hear any uproar from politicians or the public to have alcohol banned. Why do we have such double standards when dealing with drugs of all kinds? Decriminalise them and you (a) take the lure away for young folk who could be tempted into them and (b) reduce crime accordingly because addicts don't need to have access to tons of money to ease their cravings - therefore burglary reduces dramatically. It just makes so much sense to me, and it's something I've advocated for many years.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's MP Candidates views on Peaks Parkway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.