11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
February 14, 2015, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,389
Gold Stars: 534
dissapointing. never got going and bristol were better than us all over the park, do not want to be facing them in the PO's ( should we ourselves get in them) Word on the referee and his officials who were bloody awful, we should have had a pen of our own 1st half when jolley was pulled in the area, theres wasnt it wasnt a foul, it wasnt anything! ball looked suspiciously out for there goal but the one call they did get right was hannahs offside goal. rovers deserved the win and we have a lot of work to do, have to put in a performance next week, on the 15 minute spell he had, i'd start with hamish as i thought jolley was poor and clay had his worst game in a town shirt
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
February 14, 2015, 5:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Think i've just see the league winners and it aint us. Not pretty but very effective. We didn't get behind them once all afternoon and their defence were hardly troubled, largely due to their hard working midfield, who screened them very well. Dawson their right winger caught the eye for me but it has to be said that Macca was beaten all too easily from distance again.

Looks like Bristol Barnet and Macc will be in the top 5 and we will be fighting for one of the other two spots, which at this stage is by no means certain if we can't score goals and we can't score goals. Created zilch today and Clay should have been off as soon as he dropped the clanger which led to their goal. Should have got Macca straight on but no, he waits 'til the last 10 mins again. Poor management IMO.

No complaints, they were better all round and i wouldn't want to play them in the play offs because they look very resolute to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 109
NorthseaMariner
February 14, 2015, 5:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Have to agree they were more effective and seemed to be handling the ref to get the decisions they wanted. Appalling performance by the officials.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 109
cjbill
February 14, 2015, 5:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
I felt we definitely missed Palmer today. If he was starting and Jolley on the wing it could have made all the difference. Jolley seems the type of player who needs the ball at his feet and running at goal. Found himself with his back to goal far too many times and it just doesn't look like he can play that way. It was never a penalty and agree we should have had one first half.
Hamish needs longer on the pitch. Maybe not a start but certainly longer off the bench. Also missed JPP from the bench too (if Palmer was starting). These injured players could have made all the difference today.
Not much in it between the two teams but they had the more chances and probably deserved to win it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 109
oldun
February 14, 2015, 6:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Bristol's success was based on a very hardworking if not pretty defensive performance. First half we played all the football and mostly in their half without creating any clear chances. 1 goal was always likely to win it and after they committed more players forward for 20 mins or so they got it. The ball came an awful long way accross our area to their player who's shot took a deflection and wrong footed Macca. I agree Jolley' looked out of place in the central role and the game was made for Ollie but he was not available. Second half we could not get our football going and we ended up hitting hopeful balls forward. Arnold and Mackreth both saw plenty of the ball but the Rovers defenders dealt with them well. Lovely flick on from Hamish and a good finish from Hannah but he was ruled offside. Then in injury time he had a chance but managed to fire it over the bar from 6 yards. Other results would have favoured us if we had won this one. As it is we have a tough job to secure a play off place. I liked what .i saw from Hamish when he came on, looked fit, strong and a bit of a threat. I agree it would be interesting to see him for longer, especially if Ollie is going to be missing with his hamstring injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 109
moosey_club
February 14, 2015, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Bristol just far too strong at the back for our limited and shot shy attack.
Lets face it, we have acquired our current position through defensive capability rather than attacking ability so take out two front line strikers in Palmer and Pitman through injury, lose an attacking winger and an overlapping full back over the transfer window and it leaves us looking very short on attacking capability.
Makreth and Arnold are not delivering as wingers, Hannah ..just isnt producing anything like a threat, the manager doesnt seem interested in ever signing a dynamic centre midfielder to rip through the middle so we will be blundering our way through games based on keeping clean sheets and nicking wins.

Obvious to all yet again by half time that we didnt look a threat but PH just allows the game to bumble on..50, 60, mins tick by.......so often the pattern.

Really hope we turn over Barnet next week and give BR a chance of catching them as i dont want to meet BR in the play offs.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 109
chaos33
February 14, 2015, 6:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from moosey_club
Bristol just far too strong at the back for our limited and shot shy attack.
Lets face it, we have acquired our current position through defensive capability rather than attacking ability so take out two front line strikers in Palmer and Pitman through injury, lose an attacking winger and an overlapping full back over the transfer window and it leaves us looking very short on attacking capability.
Makreth and Arnold are not delivering as wingers, Hannah ..just isnt producing anything like a threat, the manager doesnt seem interested in ever signing a dynamic centre midfielder to rip through the middle so we will be blundering our way through games based on keeping clean sheets and nicking wins.

Obvious to all yet again by half time that we didnt look a threat but PH just allows the game to bumble on..50, 60, mins tick by.......so often the pattern.

Really hope we turn over Barnet next week and give BR a chance of catching them as i dont want to meet BR in the play offs.

Agree

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 109
Mrs Doyle
February 14, 2015, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Out of the two keepers Mildenhall had nothing to do where as McKewon had to make several  brilliant saves and pick the ball out of the net. We looked totally devoid of ideas up front Jolley was far to lightweight against a big defence that was screaming out for Palmer to ruffle them up and hold the ball up. There defence had total control  which meant our defence never got a rest bite inevitably a mistake and a goal resulted if it wasn't for McKewon they could have had more,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 109
chaos33
February 14, 2015, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Let's face facts - they've beaten us pretty comfortably on our own patch. That shouldn't be happening if you want to get promoted, but there you go. I think we all knew it probably would.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 109
Mrs Doyle
February 14, 2015, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The only good thing about today is we have peed Barnet off for letting Bristol get closer to them I think they will go on to win the league which is ace at the first time of asking. At least they are a proper club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 109
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.