BIGChris
February 16, 2015, 3:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from friskneymariner
Spot on Snafu,is it me but does anybody else feel there is something amiss when our main striker is back defending corners,is Hurst expecting too much of him to perform at both ends.

I have no issue whatsoever with our 'big striker' helping to defend when opposition have corners. It is part of the job at virtually every club. Livvo, Lump etc were all very effective at defending in our own box from set plays
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 109
Maringer
February 16, 2015, 3:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,381
Gold Stars: 184
I think having a tall striker back to help defend corners is pretty commonplace throughout the game.

However, I think you should also leave two players near the half-way line and make sure you have at least one more around the outside of the box. Give the opposition something to think about in defence and more importantly, make sure you have a decent chance of picking up any clearances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 109
oldun
February 16, 2015, 3:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Maringer
I think having a tall striker back to help defend corners is pretty commonplace throughout the game.

However, I think you should also leave two players near the half-way line and make sure you have at least one more around the outside of the box. Give the opposition something to think about in defence and more importantly, make sure you have a decent chance of picking up any clearances.

Interesting that about keeping players up field. On Sat in the first half PH was in the main stand near me and got very vocal trying to get a message to Doig as Bristol had a free kick or corner to get Jack Macreth out of our area as no-one was forward at all. You would expect players would know what positions to take up in those situations without the manager having to shout from the stands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 109
Maringer
February 16, 2015, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,381
Gold Stars: 184
I often wonder about the 'intelligence' of professional footballers. You'd think it would be common sense for them to organise themselves on the pitch a little bit to make sure that somebody was left upfield, but it doesn't always seem to be the case!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 109
grimsby pete
February 16, 2015, 4:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Maringer
I often wonder about the 'intelligence' of professional footballers. You'd think it would be common sense for them to organise themselves on the pitch a little bit to make sure that somebody was left upfield, but it doesn't always seem to be the case!

The problem is managers do not want players to think for themselves,

They do as the manger tells them,

Or they get dropped.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 109
gtfc82
February 16, 2015, 4:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from BIGChris

Fleetwood are in League One but i know how you feel

Oh yeah, I forgot that!! I don't pay much attention to where they are exactly, I just know it's higher than us!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 109
gtfc82
February 16, 2015, 4:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from ginnywings
Win lose or draw, i find it a mostly boring experience at BP. Every now and again, we get a decent match like Barnet, but they are few and far between.  Finding it very much a drag to haul myself to BP and i don't know if i can stand another season down here unless we get a more dynamic manager and team. I'd rather we failed to go up playing open attacking football, than have to watch that drivel and still fail to get promoted.

If we had played great on Saturday and lost 3-2, then fair enough but it was patently obvious from early on that we were going to create very little and 1 goal would be enough to beat us.

My over riding feeling as i walked home on Saturday was " why do i keep going and paying £18 to watch that garbage, in the hope that this time it will be better" ? 3 of the last 4 home games have been a right let down, not so much because we lost but that we never really looked like we could win. Then there's the Barnet and Eastleigh games which give you hope again, only for the inevitable slap in the face to be just around the corner. I wish Hurst was either brilliant and took us back into the league, or utter garbage and we could get rid. For the last 3 years he has kept dangling success in front of us, then snatching it away, doing just enough for the powers that be to give him that little bit longer.

It's torture.

Sums up my feelings perfectly!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 109
Garth
February 16, 2015, 5:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
JF needs to be sounding out another manager in case it all goes t1ts up in the next three weeks, I will gladly eat my words if we go on some sort of winning run

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 109
cmackenzie4
February 17, 2015, 9:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings
Win lose or draw, i find it a mostly boring experience at BP. Every now and again, we get a decent match like Barnet, but they are few and far between.  Finding it very much a drag to haul myself to BP and i don't know if i can stand another season down here unless we get a more dynamic manager and team. I'd rather we failed to go up playing open attacking football, than have to watch that drivel and still fail to get promoted.

If we had played great on Saturday and lost 3-2, then fair enough but it was patently obvious from early on that we were going to create very little and 1 goal would be enough to beat us.

My over riding feeling as i walked home on Saturday was " why do i keep going and paying £18 to watch that garbage, in the hope that this time it will be better" ? 3 of the last 4 home games have been a right let down, not so much because we lost but that we never really looked like we could win. Then there's the Barnet and Eastleigh games which give you hope again, only for the inevitable slap in the face to be just around the corner. I wish Hurst was either brilliant and took us back into the league, or utter garbage and we could get rid. For the last 3 years he has kept dangling success in front of us, then snatching it away, doing just enough for the powers that be to give him that little bit longer.

It's torture.

Sums it up perfectly for me ginny.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 109
TownSNAFU5
February 17, 2015, 4:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,831
Gold Stars: 42
The above heart-felt sentiments reflect what many loyal Town fans are thinking.

Why do most of us keep going?

It is a bit like getting a £100 from a cash machine when you only asked for £50. You keep going even though you know it is wrong.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.