BIGChris
February 15, 2015, 4:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from barralad

Don't obdurate and stubborn mean the same? Anyway, that aside I suspect Paul Hurst would be delighted if someone else could share the goalscoring burden. I think LJL has assisted in quite a few of our goals? (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) Ollie has two in four-now injured. Hannah has missed at least four gilt edged chances in the last two games. Mackreth has stopped scoring again and Arnold doesn't pull his weight in that area. The chances are being created but not finished off

Did you go yesterday?
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 109
cardiffmariner
February 15, 2015, 4:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,308
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from barralad

19 days ago we won at Eastleigh. Were we closer to promotion then as a unit?

I think the earlier poster has it about right. Without Palmer Hurst was always going to be in trouble. I don't know when the Palmer news broke but I didn't find out about it until I got in the ground so you could read into that that all of Hurst's plans to deal with the best defence in the league were including Palmer. Would many have started with Hannah given his lack of height and his (seeming) lack of form/confidence? Would many really have started with Hamish given the opposition? All managers gamble to a certain extent. To play Jolley in that central striking role was a gamble which very, very clearly didn't pay off. It was made worse by the fact that Bristol forced LJL out deeper in the second half meaning that the two of them were miles apart.
Probably the two most frustrating aspects are 1. the lack of control and 2. the inability to pick passes at important moments.

If without one player Hurst is in trouble, what does that say about him as a manager and the squad he has assembled? Especially when it is loan player. Answer: it's not good enough to compete with the teams at the top.

I don't see the point about Eastleigh. Or any other single game anyone cares to point to, win or loss.

It is the table ( and the past 3 years) that tells the story of Where we are. I don't care how good we are in one game or how bad in another, what matters is our inconsistency and our inability to play at the same level as Rovers and Barnet over two thirds of the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 109
ginnywings
February 15, 2015, 4:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BIGChris

Did you go yesterday?

I saw him heading toward the burger van about 30 seconds after kick off.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 109
ginnywings
February 15, 2015, 4:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
As poor as Hannah's finishing has been lately, surely he would have been better up front with LJL, rather than a player who is struggling to get back to the form he had previously. It was apparent by half time that Jolley was not going to be effective. He should have been replaced at half time but Hurst doesn't do half time tactic changes. I can't remember him ever doing so.

LJL's shortcomings become more apparent when there is no-one to pick up the slack alongside him. Is that 1 pen in his last 8 games now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 109
arryarryarry
February 15, 2015, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from cardiffmariner

If without one player Hurst is in trouble, what does that say about him as a manager and the squad he has assembled? Especially when it is loan player. Answer: it's not good enough to compete with the teams at the top.

I don't see the point about Eastleigh. Or any other single game anyone cares to point to, win or loss.

It is the table ( and the past 3 years) that tells the story of Where we are. I don't care how good we are in one game or how bad in another, what matters is our inconsistency and our inability to play at the same level as Rovers and Barnet over two thirds of the season.

Well put.

Private Message
Reply: 64 - 109
RichMariner
February 15, 2015, 4:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Hannah knows his time at Town is up. Time and again he's seeing other strikers brought into the club and being played ahead of him. While I expect him to continue giving 100%, I also understand why he might be feeling totally unmotivated.

Also, rather annoyingly, he knows that even if he starts and scores a winning goal, he'll still get benched because Hurst likes rotating the striker that plays alonside the undroppable LJL.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 65 - 109
ackomariner
February 15, 2015, 6:48pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from RichMariner
Hannah knows his time at Town is up. Time and again he's seeing other strikers brought into the club and being played ahead of him. While I expect him to continue giving 100%, I also understand why he might be feeling totally unmotivated.

Also, rather annoyingly, he knows that even if he starts and scores a winning goal, he'll still get benched because Hurst likes rotating the striker that plays alonside the undroppable LJL.

Correct....he can't motivate players, but by fuk, he's fantastic at killing a players confidence.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 109
TownSNAFU5
February 15, 2015, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,856
Gold Stars: 42
Clay was poor yesterday and has been slated by many fans. He was a doubt for the game and had a fitness test just before the game for a thigh strain. This injury could have effected him.  Maybe in hindsight Paddy should have been given the nod?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 109
ginnywings
February 15, 2015, 7:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Clay was poor yesterday and has been slated by many fans. He was a doubt for the game and had a fitness test just before the game for a thigh strain. This injury could have effected him.  Maybe in hindsight Paddy should have been given the nod?

You're kidding. If we only had 11 fit players, he'd still leave Paddy on the bench and play with 10. Probably bring him on with 3 mins left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 109
Grimal
February 15, 2015, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry

As have I but we constantly get red crossed by the "pro-Hurst will get us up" brigade.

I think you will find there is no "pro-Hurst will get us up" brigade any longer, just realists knowing that there is no way he will be replaced at this stage of the season. We are in 4th place at the moment with a chance of making the playoffs but I for one am not sure we will make the top 5 come the end of the season. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.