Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, February 14, 2015, 5:20pm
dissapointing. never got going and bristol were better than us all over the park, do not want to be facing them in the PO's ( should we ourselves get in them) Word on the referee and his officials who were bloody awful, we should have had a pen of our own 1st half when jolley was pulled in the area, theres wasnt it wasnt a foul, it wasnt anything! ball looked suspiciously out for there goal but the one call they did get right was hannahs offside goal. rovers deserved the win and we have a lot of work to do, have to put in a performance next week, on the 15 minute spell he had, i'd start with hamish as i thought jolley was poor and clay had his worst game in a town shirt
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2015, 5:29pm; Reply: 1
Think i've just see the league winners and it aint us. Not pretty but very effective. We didn't get behind them once all afternoon and their defence were hardly troubled, largely due to their hard working midfield, who screened them very well. Dawson their right winger caught the eye for me but it has to be said that Macca was beaten all too easily from distance again.

Looks like Bristol Barnet and Macc will be in the top 5 and we will be fighting for one of the other two spots, which at this stage is by no means certain if we can't score goals and we can't score goals. Created zilch today and Clay should have been off as soon as he dropped the clanger which led to their goal. Should have got Macca straight on but no, he waits 'til the last 10 mins again. Poor management IMO.

No complaints, they were better all round and i wouldn't want to play them in the play offs because they look very resolute to me.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, February 14, 2015, 5:30pm; Reply: 2
Have to agree they were more effective and seemed to be handling the ref to get the decisions they wanted. Appalling performance by the officials.
Posted by: cjbill, February 14, 2015, 5:30pm; Reply: 3
I felt we definitely missed Palmer today. If he was starting and Jolley on the wing it could have made all the difference. Jolley seems the type of player who needs the ball at his feet and running at goal. Found himself with his back to goal far too many times and it just doesn't look like he can play that way. It was never a penalty and agree we should have had one first half.
Hamish needs longer on the pitch. Maybe not a start but certainly longer off the bench. Also missed JPP from the bench too (if Palmer was starting). These injured players could have made all the difference today.
Not much in it between the two teams but they had the more chances and probably deserved to win it.
Posted by: oldun, February 14, 2015, 6:08pm; Reply: 4
Bristol's success was based on a very hardworking if not pretty defensive performance. First half we played all the football and mostly in their half without creating any clear chances. 1 goal was always likely to win it and after they committed more players forward for 20 mins or so they got it. The ball came an awful long way accross our area to their player who's shot took a deflection and wrong footed Macca. I agree Jolley' looked out of place in the central role and the game was made for Ollie but he was not available. Second half we could not get our football going and we ended up hitting hopeful balls forward. Arnold and Mackreth both saw plenty of the ball but the Rovers defenders dealt with them well. Lovely flick on from Hamish and a good finish from Hannah but he was ruled offside. Then in injury time he had a chance but managed to fire it over the bar from 6 yards. Other results would have favoured us if we had won this one. As it is we have a tough job to secure a play off place. I liked what .i saw from Hamish when he came on, looked fit, strong and a bit of a threat. I agree it would be interesting to see him for longer, especially if Ollie is going to be missing with his hamstring injury.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 14, 2015, 6:12pm; Reply: 5
Bristol just far too strong at the back for our limited and shot shy attack.
Lets face it, we have acquired our current position through defensive capability rather than attacking ability so take out two front line strikers in Palmer and Pitman through injury, lose an attacking winger and an overlapping full back over the transfer window and it leaves us looking very short on attacking capability.
Makreth and Arnold are not delivering as wingers, Hannah ..just isnt producing anything like a threat, the manager doesnt seem interested in ever signing a dynamic centre midfielder to rip through the middle so we will be blundering our way through games based on keeping clean sheets and nicking wins.

Obvious to all yet again by half time that we didnt look a threat but PH just allows the game to bumble on..50, 60, mins tick by.......so often the pattern.

Really hope we turn over Barnet next week and give BR a chance of catching them as i dont want to meet BR in the play offs.

Posted by: chaos33, February 14, 2015, 6:15pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from moosey_club
Bristol just far too strong at the back for our limited and shot shy attack.
Lets face it, we have acquired our current position through defensive capability rather than attacking ability so take out two front line strikers in Palmer and Pitman through injury, lose an attacking winger and an overlapping full back over the transfer window and it leaves us looking very short on attacking capability.
Makreth and Arnold are not delivering as wingers, Hannah ..just isnt producing anything like a threat, the manager doesnt seem interested in ever signing a dynamic centre midfielder to rip through the middle so we will be blundering our way through games based on keeping clean sheets and nicking wins.

Obvious to all yet again by half time that we didnt look a threat but PH just allows the game to bumble on..50, 60, mins tick by.......so often the pattern.

Really hope we turn over Barnet next week and give BR a chance of catching them as i dont want to meet BR in the play offs.

Agree
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 14, 2015, 6:17pm; Reply: 7
Out of the two keepers Mildenhall had nothing to do where as McKewon had to make several  brilliant saves and pick the ball out of the net. We looked totally devoid of ideas up front Jolley was far to lightweight against a big defence that was screaming out for Palmer to ruffle them up and hold the ball up. There defence had total control  which meant our defence never got a rest bite inevitably a mistake and a goal resulted if it wasn't for McKewon they could have had more, :( :(
Posted by: chaos33, February 14, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 8
Let's face facts - they've beaten us pretty comfortably on our own patch. That shouldn't be happening if you want to get promoted, but there you go. I think we all knew it probably would.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 14, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 9
The only good thing about today is we have peed Barnet off for letting Bristol get closer to them I think they will go on to win the league which is ace at the first time of asking. At least they are a proper club.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 14, 2015, 6:40pm; Reply: 10
The only good thing about today is we have peed Barnet off for letting Bristol get closer to them I think they will go on to win the league which is ace at the first time of asking. At least they are a proper club.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 14, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 11
Just a mention about the ref he was one of the worst I have seen got hardly anything
right today.
Posted by: topuphere666, February 14, 2015, 6:44pm; Reply: 12
First half wasn't bad I didn't think. We had a lot of The ball but never threatened. I do think we should have had a pen in the first period.

Second half we were a different side, devoid of any ideas and resorted to long balls with most of the half left to play. Clay was terrible today with Arnold not much better!
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, February 14, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 13
Bristol weren't that great today, for them that was probably one of their lesser performances, but they were organised and composed, whereas I think we actually had a poorer day than it seemed, as we gave away possesion far too many times and at times seemed fairly disorganised especially upfront, I didn't understand what was supposed to be going on, was jolley supposed to be a striker or a winger? I kept thinking all game about how we missed ollie palmer and with the poor display of passing from us and bristols organisation a more direct approach might've actually been a better idea for today, then near the end he brought on hamish watson who I had forgotten about, and he got his head on the ball and created an opportunity which ross hannah scored thought was contentiously ruled out for offside. Then it got me thinking, we've had these good results with ollie palmer in the team playing a system with him and john lewis upfront, why didn't paul hurst stick with the system and use hamish watson instead. He seems decent enough, hurst must think so, he signed him. Think the problem under hurst often is that we often have good players, and probably have good systems, but they don't quite fit together, and in the midst of it all we don't do alot of basic things. Not enough closing down, not enough communication, poor passing, poor movement, not finding space, week in week out, but we've got good players.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 14, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 14
Started brightly for me but I think we were let down by the fact we had to carry Jolley who did nothing positive in his time on the pitch, he looked off the pace, lacking in confidence and desire, I really hope that was a one off. 2nd half they were on top and a goal was coming, again Hurst was not proactive in trying to change it to stem the tide, had the changes been made before goal we may have seen a different result, thought Hannah was awful when he came on (still did more than Jolley) but Watson looks to have a bit about him and looks a lot fitter and leaner. Ref was garbage, missed a clear pen for us first half and was excrement after that.
Posted by: barralad, February 14, 2015, 7:44pm; Reply: 15
Thought Town started pretty brightly and had the better of  the first half. Lenny got amongst them, Robertson got forward more than I've seen him thus far. Their dead ball delivery caused us problems all game however (and thanks to some pretty abysmal refereeing there were plenty of chances). The big lad up front gave Pearson a harder game than any other player I've seen certainly this season. Toto always has the capacity to worry me but at half time a draw looked the right scoreline.
The "penalty" for Brizzle was quite probably the worst decision I've seen in 40 plus years of watching Town. If it happens anywhere else on the pitch between two outfield players it wouldn't even merit a free kick. Two players went for a high ball and neither of them got anywhere near it.
Second half they often doubled up on Lenny meaning that the second touch he often needs was by one of their players. It could be me but I thought he played much deeper (too deep) in the second half leaving Jolley (who I couldn't work out where exactly he was supposed to be playing) somewhat isolated. I think Mackreth beat his man once in the second 45 minutes and Arnold didn't do much better on the other flank. There was one ridiculous moment where Jolley stood about 3 yards off Arnold in the Imperial corner of the pitch instead of at least providing Nathan with some movement. I felt a bit sorry for Mackreth though as his service as epitomised by Hannah's dreadfully overhit pass when Town were breaking was shocking.
Poor old Ross Hannah cannot seem to do anything right. Clearly offside for his "goal" and then doesn't hit the target from 12(?) yards out. His booking was utterly ridiculous. Hamish looked like he might have something to offer. A great flick on to find Hannah even though he was offside.
Their goal was coming for about ten minutes. Town had had a let off when Macca made a near miraculous stop about five minutes before they scored. The scorer was allowed to bring the ball down without any interference from Arnold or Robertson before beating Macca at his near post.
Town gave it a real go for the last 10 but in reality it was mostly huff and puff.
Bristol weren't great but they did what we do to a lot of teams away from home. I think they will snatch the title from under Barnet's noses.  
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2015, 8:05pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from barralad
Thought Town started pretty brightly and had the better of  the first half. Lenny got amongst them, Robertson got forward more than I've seen him thus far. Their dead ball delivery caused us problems all game however (and thanks to some pretty abysmal refereeing there were plenty of chances). The big lad up front gave Pearson a harder game than any other player I've seen certainly this season. Toto always has the capacity to worry me but at half time a draw looked the right scoreline.
The "penalty" for Brizzle was quite probably the worst decision I've seen in 40 plus years of watching Town. If it happens anywhere else on the pitch between two outfield players it wouldn't even merit a free kick. Two players went for a high ball and neither of them got anywhere near it.
Second half they often doubled up on Lenny meaning that the second touch he often needs was by one of their players. It could be me but I thought he played much deeper (too deep) in the second half leaving Jolley (who I couldn't work out where exactly he was supposed to be playing) somewhat isolated. I think Mackreth beat his man once in the second 45 minutes and Arnold didn't do much better on the other flank. There was one ridiculous moment where Jolley stood about 3 yards off Arnold in the Imperial corner of the pitch instead of at least providing Nathan with some movement. I felt a bit sorry for Mackreth though as his service as epitomised by Hannah's dreadfully overhit pass when Town were breaking was shocking.
Poor old Ross Hannah cannot seem to do anything right. Clearly offside for his "goal" and then doesn't hit the target from 12(?) yards out. His booking was utterly ridiculous. Hamish looked like he might have something to offer. A great flick on to find Hannah even though he was offside.
Their goal was coming for about ten minutes. Town had had a let off when Macca made a near miraculous stop about five minutes before they scored. The scorer was allowed to bring the ball down without any interference from Arnold or Robertson before beating Macca at his near post.
Town gave it a real go for the last 10 but in reality it was mostly huff and puff.
Bristol weren't great but they did what we do to a lot of teams away from home. I think they will snatch the title from under Barnet's noses.  

I thought exactly that and they did not put one foot wrong in doing it. Never have i been more certain at half time on the outcome of a game.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 14, 2015, 8:13pm; Reply: 17
Hate to say this but we missed an outlet on the left Arnold and Robertson did not link up like Thomas and Magnay.
Posted by: mimma, February 14, 2015, 8:30pm; Reply: 18
I'd just like to add a word about the ref.

He looked out of his depth, but Rovers players soon sussed him out, & "won" a lot of free kicks, & broke the game up with their antics.

It's something we never do, but all the top teams seem to be able to do it, sometimes it's the difference between winning or drawing.

Posted by: chaos33, February 14, 2015, 8:35pm; Reply: 19
When was the last time Arnold or Clay had good games? Will they be dropped or even subbed midway through a game? No chance. We haven't got a good enough manager and we haven't enough players who perform at the top of their games often enough. That's why we're not really in the title race and probably heading for the same old play off disappointment once again.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 14, 2015, 8:36pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Just a mention about the ref he was one of the worst I have seen got hardly anything
right today.

The ref today was the same guy I think that we had at lincoln away
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 14, 2015, 9:15pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ackomariner

The ref today was the same guy I think that we had at lincoln away

That explains a lot actually
Posted by: H19P1, February 14, 2015, 9:21pm; Reply: 22
Can someone explain why Ollie was missing today please?
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 14, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 23
Hamstring problems I believe mate.
Posted by: H19P1, February 14, 2015, 9:26pm; Reply: 24
Thanks
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 14, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 25
Must have been injured otherwise it was the stupidest piece of management thus far, we were crying out for a forward with strength and height to give our defence a break.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 14, 2015, 9:29pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Hamstring problems I believe mate.

Do we know how severe chris
Posted by: Paris Mariner, February 14, 2015, 11:11pm; Reply: 27
We're not doing too badly. We've won 12 out of the last 20. Drawn two. We may not win the league but we've given Bristol a close run today and beaten Barnet and Macclesfield already. People forget it's a long haul and the play-offs are a lottery. It's ours to win as much as anybody else. February is a tough month for us - Forest Green, Bristol Rovers and Barnet. Not to mention Macclesfield and Eastleigh in weeks prior to that. We've got some very winnable games coming up and we need on focus on that.

It's always a massive shame to come on here and see the doom mongers after two disappointing results - yes - but not season destroyers as some would have you believe. People need to get a bit of perspective, two games don't make a season and we're in the top four on merit. We can't be that bad. It would have been nice to have won today to get a few more down to Barnet - the 1000+ following I was hoping for at the beginning of the month probably won't materialise now but we can still go there and win.

UTM

All aboard the promotion train #choochoo
Posted by: TAGG, February 14, 2015, 11:19pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from chaos33
When was the last time Arnold or Clay had good games? Will they be dropped or even subbed midway through a game? No chance. We haven't got a good enough manager and we haven't enough players who perform at the top of their games often enough. That's why we're not really in the title race and probably heading for the same old play off disappointment once again.

I'm a big Clay fan but think today was his worst game since he came here.
Still can't see why people think Arnold is a good player, plays without any sort of passion.  
Cant fault Macreths willingness but he is so lightweight he's a waste of time.
Can't see why plenty on here were wetting there pants about Jolley he was the worst player on the pitch today.
McKeown MOM by a long way.
As I have said many times we will never get out of this league with Hurst in charge. As always he can't seem to see what's going on on the pitch until around the 75th minute.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 14, 2015, 11:39pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Yeah, good way of looking at it. I wish them the best, good side and shouldn't be here. Reckon they'll do it, one way or another at the first time of asking unlike us after half a flipping decade.
Posted by: tashee69, February 15, 2015, 12:11am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Paris Mariner
We're not doing too badly. We've won 12 out of the last 20. Drawn two. We may not win the league but we've given Bristol a close run today and beaten Barnet and Macclesfield already. People forget it's a long haul and the play-offs are a lottery. It's ours to win as much as anybody else. February is a tough month for us - Forest Green, Bristol Rovers and Barnet. Not to mention Macclesfield and Eastleigh in weeks prior to that. We've got some very winnable games coming up and we need on focus on that.

It's always a massive shame to come on here and see the doom mongers after two disappointing results - yes - but not season destroyers as some would have you believe. People need to get a bit of perspective, two games don't make a season and we're in the top four on merit. We can't be that bad. It would have been nice to have won today to get a few more down to Barnet - the 1000+ following I was hoping for at the beginning of the month probably won't materialise now but we can still go there and win.

UTM

All aboard the promotion train #choochoo

I'm not a doom monger, more a realist.
38 points out of 60 isn't that great, one that might sneak us into the play offs. Beat Barnet and Macclesfield, yes, also lost to Macclesfield and got a tough game away at Barnet to come. Our home record is poor. Unless something is done in altering our attacking ideas then this season, at best, is going to be another play off semi final defeat.
Today I did not think Rovers was that impressive. The amount of times possession was given away by both teams was shocking. The difference in the teams was they looked like was going to score by their creativity. We was just flat and pretty much clueless
Posted by: Maringer, February 15, 2015, 12:13am; Reply: 31
Firstly, no blame on McKeown for the goal as it was deflected off the defender. The irritating thing was that the chance only came because Clay had somehow let a simple pass run under his foot to set up their counter-attack. We should have been on the attack, but instead, we concede a softish goal.

I think they were certainly the better team today without creating too many chances. One excellent save from McKeown and a few other regulation ones, but the problem was at the other end where I can only remember Mildenhall having to make one save, the one where he got clattered by LJL in the first half. We just didn't shoot on the occasions when we got into good positions (not that there were that many of them) and today we saw the difference between a good performance against a decent team (vs Barnet) and a poor one. I'd have to say, I think that Rovers were reminiscent of both Crawley and Fleetwood in the way they played. Big, strong team, clever at winning free-kicks and spoiling opposition play (how often today did they get away with sly nudges on our players, I wonder?), and with a few decent players here and there. I think they looked a better team than Barnet. Just a pity that our attackers were so poor on the day. LJL worked his socks off but didn't get anywhere and, worryingly, there was absolutely no interplay between him and Jolley who looked a player completely bereft of confidence.

There's not much difference between success and failure in this League but I still don't think we're quite good enough to put the run of games together in the play-offs (assuming we get in them), to win promotion. On our day, we can certainly beat anyone in this division, but all it takes is a couple of average performances and we're half the team we can be.

Was Hannah definitely offside, then? I thought the ball moved a long way before he got to it so thought he could have been running from an onside position? Our defence also seemed to stop somewhat before their goal so perhaps the ball had gone out before that cross as well? Will be interesting to see what the highlights show.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 15, 2015, 12:49am; Reply: 32
The most concerning thing I saw from the game was the reaction of the Town players after conceding the goal.

They looked totally dejected.

The body language was awful. They just seemed to accept that the game had gone. We could see how well organised Rovers were - and yes, it was an uphill task to break that mean defence down. But it was just a one goal deficit. And we had plenty of time left to get back in it.

It just looked like we accepted defeat there and then. Only when we went route one right at the death did we look like we believed we could score.

I'm really not sure Disley is captain material. As the Rovers players celebrated their goal, only one Town player was attempting to motivate the team - and that was Carl Magnay.

Also, on a side note, it looks like we're trying to accommodate a player who is either injured or badly out of form. If Neilson put in the performance that Jolley did today, he'd be dropped without question for the next game.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 15, 2015, 7:20am; Reply: 33
Had time to calm down and reflect on yesterday. I could not fault the effort put in by the lads particularly in the first half. One thing was obvious from early on Jolly is a winger NOTt a FECKIN centre forward he won nothing in the air and was to easily muscled off the ball. He needs balls threaded through to run on to no good playing to his feet he hasn't the muscle to hold it.

Another point the type of balls we were playing from the back were aimless WHERE ARE THE FECKIN PLAY-MAKERS IN MIDFIELD???  The game needed desperately somebody to take control.

Whatever their manager said at half time had the desired effect It was probably something along the lines of Mildenhall as had nothing to do, their attack is toothless and our defence is comfortable.

Right lets push up we can win this game they have nobody up front to fear from so let's double up on Lewis he's there only threat.

Mean while (young Mr Grace) Hurst: Your all doing very well lads keep it going we nearly had a shot on goal once.
Posted by: gtfc82, February 15, 2015, 8:36am; Reply: 34
Imo Jolley doesn't look like he actually wants to be here. He's just stealing a wage until summer when he'll leave for pastures new! He flinched from challenges on numerous occasions and just wasn't up for the fight.
The 442 system was too rigid today. The wingers gave no supply to the strikers and our gameplan seemed to simply involve long balls to The Shop!
Can't help having a sinking feeling that play off failure is around the corner yet again! We just don't create enough chances!!
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, February 15, 2015, 9:17am; Reply: 35
Agree about Jolley, thought he was naff yesterday. And yet we have a striker chomping at the bit to get a run of games on the bench, 20 minutes here and there is useless to Ross Hannah. If Palmer isn't back for Barnet, I'd play Shop and Ross.
Posted by: H19P1, February 15, 2015, 9:19am; Reply: 36
Or maybe Hamish Watson? He'll give 110% against Barnet to prove his worth
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 15, 2015, 9:32am; Reply: 37
Llike Mrs Doyle I have waited before posting my comments.

Firstly, I would state my support for Mrs Doyle's commen, that where is the creative midfield player we have required since PH came to the club? Our build up play is slow and predictable and this is not helped by the woeful ball retention our forwards give the team. Walking away I was talking to another fan who summed up our midfield perfectly no creative ability but also fail to win the physical battle where required, lincoln and rovers just two recent examples.

Secondly, January signings, Palmer apart, look to have taken us no further forward. Robertson looks steady, his crossing was awful in the first half, but other than experience not sure what qualities he brings. Still struggling to understand what Winfarrah has to do to be given a chance. A bit of youthful exuberance may be just what we need.

Thirdly, our attacking play in home games remains dire, wingers do not beat their man, do not get crosses over quickly, Jolley was poor on the evidence of yesterday and LJL had one of his poor days when his second touch was a tackle. On the few occasions we did break we hardly ever had more than one player in the box so chances of picking up the pieces and scoring are slim.

Finally, do we have a system of play? Clearly in away matches we have and Macca alluded to this in the after match interview, in home games against organised sides we are clueless how to break them down and our stats for shots at goal yesterday must have been dreadful. Also interesting that both Macca and PH were not surprised the penalty was awarded , interesting to me as I seem to be the only person there who thought it wasa penalty. Blissett got there first and headed the ball, albeit straight out of play, and just after he headed it Macca clattered him, so pen for me, please use the cross sparingly.

One last comment should we by some miracle get to the play off final I would be happy to play Bristol. Think on a bigger pitch with the right tactics we can get behind their defence who though well drilled lacked pace down the middle. I also thought they were decent but not particularly quick on the break and whilst Macca had to make some decent saves they did not look like they had a striker like Gray or Vardy who is going to stick one chance away. It would be a close probably drab game but we would have a shout.
Posted by: Maringer, February 15, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Secondly, January signings, Palmer apart, look to have taken us no further forward. Robertson looks steady, his crossing was awful in the first half, but other than experience not sure what qualities he brings. Still struggling to understand what Winfarrah has to do to be given a chance. A bit of youthful exuberance may be just what we need.

I thought Robertson did OK against a quick, strong and tricky winger. He was beaten once in the first half (that I can remember) but, after that, looked pretty solid. His height was very useful against a team as big and powerful as Rovers who look to win a lot of set pieces and I have to say, I think that winger would have had Winfarrah on toast if he'd played!

Winfarrah did OK in his one main performance against Nuneaton when we had an injury crisis, but the theory he should have been brought in for an important game against a top of the table team when he's not played for almost 6 months is absolutely nuts!

Jolley looked a player badly lacking confidence to me. On the couple of occasions he got the ball and had a chance to run with it, he just never got going. Greatly different to the player we saw for Newport a couple of seasons back. Let's hope he gets back to some form quickly.

Ultimately, I've go no angst about the game yesterday. They looked strong and organised and simply played a lot better than us on the day itself. If we'd played well, the result may have been different. When we beat Barnet the other week, I was surprised that they were so far ahead of us at the top of the table as they looked pretty limited as a team when we played well. On the other hand, yesterday, I could see why Rovers are pushing for the top because they looked a good team.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 15, 2015, 10:27am; Reply: 39
I like clay, but was poor today, jolley is definitely not a striker !

Arnold was poor but against FGR he was alot better.

Take a breather, move on.

One question to Hurst, PLEASE bring Watson on before Hannah ffs, Hannah offers nothing
Posted by: ska face, February 15, 2015, 10:58am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Maringer
Firstly, no blame on McKeown for the goal as it was deflected off the defender. The irritating thing was that the chance only came because Clay had somehow let a simple pass run under his foot to set up their counter-attack. We should have been on the attack, but instead, we concede a softish goal..

Their goal came from so many town errors it's hard not to be really, badly drunk off.

It started down our left, when we were two on one well inside their half, but Robertson & Jolley couldn't work out between them what to do, which allowed the defender to get a foot in while they dallied about. Then Clay misses it, Magnay commits himself about 40 yards out & misses a challenge, meaning when the ball is played into the space he leaves, Mackreth is forced to defend.

Now I'm not sure how much of a head start the BRFC winger had, but from my angle it looked like all Mackreth had to do was be strong & shepherd the ball out. No surprise then that the ball managed to find it's way into our box. It's half cleared and when it drops to their number 4 (IIRC) there's not a town player within 10 yard of him - inside our box! Probably due to the fact that Clay had looked absolutely copulated for a good 10 minutes beforehand & should've been replaced once they started to get on top and put the pressure on.

Suppose that's your lot until May now.
Posted by: Garth, February 15, 2015, 11:12am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I like clay, but was poor today, jolley is definitely not a striker !

Arnold was poor but against FGR he was alot better.

Take a breather, move on.

One question to Hurst, PLEASE bring Watson on before Hannah ffs, Hannah offers nothing

Have to disagree the only chances we had of getting anything out of the game was Hannah`s ten minute end of the match cameo, compared to Jolley he was better
Disappointed more in the manager than the team yesterday, seems like he`s settled into his post Xmas slide and his subs were miles too late to effect the outcome
Posted by: BIGChris, February 15, 2015, 11:13am; Reply: 42
I haven't read all this thread so I apologise if I am repeating what others have said.

Beaten by the better, more energetic & organised side.

Rovers two centre backs looked very slow and clumsy but always used their brains to get between man & ball.

We played with 10 men because Jolley offered absolutely nothing. I posted when we signed him that if he was anywhere near the player he was 2 years ago he would be a top signing. After 3 games I have to say he is a shadow of his previous self. May be lack of match fitness but that doesn't excuse the lack of heart.

Midfield was over powered by a stronger outfit.

Our early chance for LJL was created by himself but his touch gave Mildenhall the chance to smother.

We should have had a clear penalty when Jolley had his shirt pulled in the 6 yard box as he got behind the defender. The YT ref missed it.

Their penalty? I haven't seen it again but at the time I Thought Blissett got his head to the ball and then he & McKeown collided. If that happened between two players going for the ball in the centre circle it's a foul. Penalty for me

Many of our players couldn't control the ball. Shop, Clay the worse offenders with only Arnold showing a good first touch most of the time.

Very down about the gulf between the 2 sides. Was this the true GtTFC or was the side that demolished Barnet and dominated Eastleigh recently?

We need to bounce back with a win at Barnet, that may give Rovers the chance to go on and win it. That may be our best chance of promotion. However we will have to get ourselves sorted to firstly make the play offs and then turn up for 3 consecutive games. Are we capable? We are but not on yesterday's showing
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 15, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 43
From where I was sat, we had plenty of possession but hardly created a worthwhile effort.

The midfield was very pedestrian, up front it just didn't work, LJL back to his usual not looking like scoring a goal, someone suggested Jolley looked jaded, I thought he looked like he wasn't bothered in much the same way Arnold has looked most of this season. Mackreth was poor yet again and is he on a two year contract?

Defensively Toto had his moments again and Robertson struggled to cut out any crosses especially in the first half.

As for the goal, very poor defensively all round, failure to cut out the cross, and when the ball broke free Robertson should have at least tried to close their guy down and it looks like Arnold was there ball watching or just wondering what's for tea.

The substitutions were again made far too late to really influence the game and just confirms to me that Hurst either doesn't understand what to do or he really doesn't have that much faith in the boys on the bench.

Having seen the first half I wasn't that impressed by BR but the second half showed they were much better than us and as we were leaving we were all saying that we hope they win the league as we wouldn't really be wanting to play them in the play-offs.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 15, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 44
Many of the key points have been debated.

I enjoyed the first half, which ebbed and flowed.  We just shaded it.

In the second half we started giving the ball away with unforced errors.  Looked like lack of concentration or tiredness (?).  The worst error was by Arnold just outside our penalty area.

At the same time as we kept giving Rovers possession with silly errors, they pushed on and looked more threatening.  A goal for them looked only a matter of time.  (However, it came).

Hurst made late and the wrong choices before and after the goal.

Rovers were very good at keeping possession. They are a consistent team with only 4 defeats all season.  Our 6 home defeats speaks volumes about us.  

I thought finishing in the top 2 for the playoffs was realistic (Having the home game second).  Now I think that qualifying for the playoffs has to be secured.  

Playing Barnet in the playoffs would be far more attractive on paper than playing Rovers.  
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 15, 2015, 11:54am; Reply: 45
Thought Robertson looked awful too, got turned inside out by their right winger.
Posted by: Maringer, February 15, 2015, 12:31pm; Reply: 46
Robertson got done once or twice by their winger in the first half but looked pretty solid after that, I thought. Most of their best chances came either down our right-hand side or straight through the middle!
Posted by: rancido, February 15, 2015, 12:41pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from TAGG

I'm a big Clay fan but think today was his worst game since he came here.
Still can't see why people think Arnold is a good player, plays without any sort of passion.  
Cant fault Macreths willingness but he is so lightweight he's a waste of time.
Can't see why plenty on here were wetting there pants about Jolley he was the worst player on the pitch today.
McKeown MOM by a long way.
As I have said many times we will never get out of this league with Hurst in charge. As always he can't seem to see what's going on on the pitch until around the 75th minute.

I think this epitomises PH's cautious approach. One thing I thought was apparent was The Shop's inability to get any joy from their centre-back. He won very few headers and was never given time to control the ball. PH should have seen this ( like I and my friends could ) and changed the approach at half-time by introducing Hamish. Clay was obviously struggling in the early part of the second half and Paddy should have been brought on sooner. Unfortunately PH always leaves it too late to introduce any game changing strategies and we suffer accordingly.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 15, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Maringer
Robertson got done once or twice by their winger in the first half but looked pretty solid after that, I thought. Most of their best chances came either down our right-hand side or straight through the middle!

A couple of points, firstly think the winger skinned him twice down in the bottom corner in exactly the same manner, secondly he is not that quick going forward so unlike Thomas will not get to the byline to make crosses and thirdly he wasted at least three chances to put in decent crosses in the first half. Think he is ok and will do a job until end of season nothing more.

Appreciate we have had some big league games in recent weeks but Walker has had one run out at Gateshead in the Trophy whilst Winfarrah none. I do not understand why these lads are kept on if they never get a game, surely against some of the supposed lesser teams they can either play from the start or come on to get experience. Agree right winger was tricky but not blessed with pace and not sure I would agree that he would have murdered Winfarrah. Trouble is we will probsbly never know how good these lads may have been because we will not get to see them play.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 15, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

A couple of points, firstly think the winger skinned him twice down in the bottom corner in exactly the same manner, secondly he is not that quick going forward so unlike Thomas will not get to the byline to make crosses and thirdly he wasted at least three chances to put in decent crosses in the first half. Think he is ok and will do a job until end of season nothing more.

Appreciate we have had some big league games in recent weeks but Walker has had one run out at Gateshead in the Trophy whilst Winfarrah none. I do not understand why these lads are kept on if they never get a game, surely against some of the supposed lesser teams they can either play from the start or come on to get experience. Agree right winger was tricky but not blessed with pace and not sure I would agree that he would have murdered Winfarrah. Trouble is we will probsbly never know how good these lads may have been because we will not get to see them play.

Winfarrah has never been a regular starter as a full back at any level. He had a few minutes as an early sub and did ok but he always been a midfielder. Putting a youngster in is fine but in a position were he has very little experience cannot be right imo
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 15, 2015, 1:42pm; Reply: 50
Not sure what Hurst will do he's got the pressure on now, does he actually know our best team?? For whatever reason the most creative player is no longer here and without Palmer he was bolloxed.  Jolly looks a tad lost not sure Hurst is doing him any favours expecting him to lead the front line. We need to bounce back quick and secure a play off place.
Posted by: chaos33, February 15, 2015, 2:30pm; Reply: 51
The thing is, these same points have been debated time and again, week after week, month after month. What has Hurst learned, if anything? The abject failure to use substitutes to effect is particularly infuriating. Professionals who repeatedly fail to control a ball should be shot, or replaced.
I see a team and manager no closer to promotion than they were two or three years ago.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 15, 2015, 2:37pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from chaos33
The thing is, these same points have been debated time and again, week after week, month after month. What has Hurst learned, if anything? The abject failure to use substitutes to effect is particularly infuriating. Professionals who repeatedly fail to control a ball should be shot, or replaced.
I see a team and manager no closer to promotion than they were two or three years ago.

Bang on chaos, been talking about the same cr@p for two years now....and nothing changes
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 15, 2015, 2:38pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from BIGChris

Winfarrah has never been a regular starter as a full back at any level. He had a few minutes as an early sub and did ok but he always been a midfielder. Putting a youngster in is fine but in a position were he has very little experience cannot be right imo

I always understood Winfarrah was a winger, so I cannot understand him not getting at least a run out on the wing especially when in the main Mackreth and Arnold have been poor so far this season.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 15, 2015, 2:40pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from ackomariner

Bang on chaos, been talking about the same cr@p for two years now....and nothing changes

As have I but we constantly get red crossed by the "pro-Hurst will get us up" brigade.

Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 3:00pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from chaos33

19 days ago we won at Eastleigh. Were we closer to promotion then as a unit?

I think the earlier poster has it about right. Without Palmer Hurst was always going to be in trouble. I don't know when the Palmer news broke but I didn't find out about it until I got in the ground so you could read into that that all of Hurst's plans to deal with the best defence in the league were including Palmer. Would many have started with Hannah given his lack of height and his (seeming) lack of form/confidence? Would many really have started with Hamish given the opposition? All managers gamble to a certain extent. To play Jolley in that central striking role was a gamble which very, very clearly didn't pay off. It was made worse by the fact that Bristol forced LJL out deeper in the second half meaning that the two of them were miles apart.
Probably the two most frustrating aspects are 1. the lack of control and 2. the inability to pick passes at important moments.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2015, 3:13pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from chaos33

Exactly we are no further on from the beginning of the season rely on LJL to be the main goal scorer,Hurst is either obdurate stupid or stubborn as anybody can see that is not going to work.

I would like to know as to exactly what his strategy is re scoring goals,does he even know.
Posted by: oldun, February 15, 2015, 3:18pm; Reply: 57
Spoke to Palmer before the game. He said he felt his hamstring tighten during the FGR game but played on for a while. Did not train until Thursday and felt it again and could not continue. He is hoping with rest he might be available against Barnet. Did not sound too confident though.
Posted by: oldun, February 15, 2015, 3:27pm; Reply: 58
Oh, just a point I was not overly impressed with Bristol actually. Yes they worked hard and were tough defensively but happily to lash clearances anywhere , I lost track of how many throw ins they gave us in their own half. Going forward they offered little in the first half. For about 20 mins before they scored they committed a few more men forward. The goal was a joke from our point of view and not created by great play on their part. After the goal they shut up shop and hung on. If we had scored the first goal I am sure we would have won that game. Their fans whilst delighted with the result, breathed a sigh of relief at the end and admit is was a close thing.
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 3:32pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from friskneymariner

Exactly we are no further on from the beginning of the season rely on LJL to be the main goal scorer,Hurst is either obdurate stupid or stubborn as anybody can see that is not going to work.

I would like to know as to exactly what his strategy is re scoring goals,does he even know.

Don't obdurate and stubborn mean the same? Anyway, that aside I suspect Paul Hurst would be delighted if someone else could share the goalscoring burden. I think LJL has assisted in quite a few of our goals? (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) Ollie has two in four-now injured. Hannah has missed at least four gilt edged chances in the last two games. Mackreth has stopped scoring again and Arnold doesn't pull his weight in that area. The chances are being created but not finished off
Posted by: BIGChris, February 15, 2015, 4:01pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from barralad

Don't obdurate and stubborn mean the same? Anyway, that aside I suspect Paul Hurst would be delighted if someone else could share the goalscoring burden. I think LJL has assisted in quite a few of our goals? (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) Ollie has two in four-now injured. Hannah has missed at least four gilt edged chances in the last two games. Mackreth has stopped scoring again and Arnold doesn't pull his weight in that area. The chances are being created but not finished off

Did you go yesterday?
Posted by: cardiffmariner, February 15, 2015, 4:09pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from barralad

19 days ago we won at Eastleigh. Were we closer to promotion then as a unit?

I think the earlier poster has it about right. Without Palmer Hurst was always going to be in trouble. I don't know when the Palmer news broke but I didn't find out about it until I got in the ground so you could read into that that all of Hurst's plans to deal with the best defence in the league were including Palmer. Would many have started with Hannah given his lack of height and his (seeming) lack of form/confidence? Would many really have started with Hamish given the opposition? All managers gamble to a certain extent. To play Jolley in that central striking role was a gamble which very, very clearly didn't pay off. It was made worse by the fact that Bristol forced LJL out deeper in the second half meaning that the two of them were miles apart.
Probably the two most frustrating aspects are 1. the lack of control and 2. the inability to pick passes at important moments.

If without one player Hurst is in trouble, what does that say about him as a manager and the squad he has assembled? Especially when it is loan player. Answer: it's not good enough to compete with the teams at the top.

I don't see the point about Eastleigh. Or any other single game anyone cares to point to, win or loss.

It is the table ( and the past 3 years) that tells the story of Where we are. I don't care how good we are in one game or how bad in another, what matters is our inconsistency and our inability to play at the same level as Rovers and Barnet over two thirds of the season.

Posted by: ginnywings, February 15, 2015, 4:10pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from BIGChris

Did you go yesterday?

I saw him heading toward the burger van about 30 seconds after kick off.  ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, February 15, 2015, 4:15pm; Reply: 63
As poor as Hannah's finishing has been lately, surely he would have been better up front with LJL, rather than a player who is struggling to get back to the form he had previously. It was apparent by half time that Jolley was not going to be effective. He should have been replaced at half time but Hurst doesn't do half time tactic changes. I can't remember him ever doing so.

LJL's shortcomings become more apparent when there is no-one to pick up the slack alongside him. Is that 1 pen in his last 8 games now?
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 15, 2015, 4:15pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from cardiffmariner

If without one player Hurst is in trouble, what does that say about him as a manager and the squad he has assembled? Especially when it is loan player. Answer: it's not good enough to compete with the teams at the top.

I don't see the point about Eastleigh. Or any other single game anyone cares to point to, win or loss.

It is the table ( and the past 3 years) that tells the story of Where we are. I don't care how good we are in one game or how bad in another, what matters is our inconsistency and our inability to play at the same level as Rovers and Barnet over two thirds of the season.

Well put.

Posted by: RichMariner, February 15, 2015, 4:21pm; Reply: 65
Hannah knows his time at Town is up. Time and again he's seeing other strikers brought into the club and being played ahead of him. While I expect him to continue giving 100%, I also understand why he might be feeling totally unmotivated.

Also, rather annoyingly, he knows that even if he starts and scores a winning goal, he'll still get benched because Hurst likes rotating the striker that plays alonside the undroppable LJL.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 15, 2015, 6:48pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from RichMariner
Hannah knows his time at Town is up. Time and again he's seeing other strikers brought into the club and being played ahead of him. While I expect him to continue giving 100%, I also understand why he might be feeling totally unmotivated.

Also, rather annoyingly, he knows that even if he starts and scores a winning goal, he'll still get benched because Hurst likes rotating the striker that plays alonside the undroppable LJL.

Correct....he can't motivate players, but by fuk, he's fantastic at killing a players confidence.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 15, 2015, 7:12pm; Reply: 67
Clay was poor yesterday and has been slated by many fans. He was a doubt for the game and had a fitness test just before the game for a thigh strain. This injury could have effected him.  Maybe in hindsight Paddy should have been given the nod?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 15, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Clay was poor yesterday and has been slated by many fans. He was a doubt for the game and had a fitness test just before the game for a thigh strain. This injury could have effected him.  Maybe in hindsight Paddy should have been given the nod?

You're kidding. If we only had 11 fit players, he'd still leave Paddy on the bench and play with 10. Probably bring him on with 3 mins left.
Posted by: Grimal, February 15, 2015, 7:45pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from arryarryarry

As have I but we constantly get red crossed by the "pro-Hurst will get us up" brigade.

I think you will find there is no "pro-Hurst will get us up" brigade any longer, just realists knowing that there is no way he will be replaced at this stage of the season. We are in 4th place at the moment with a chance of making the playoffs but I for one am not sure we will make the top 5 come the end of the season. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 7:57pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from cardiffmariner

I'm not sure what you don't see. There have been tens of posts on here about Hurst's inabilities since last night with all the recognised sages shaking their heads at the lack of tactics/substitutional nous etc. etc. with the quoted poster claiming we are no nearer promotion than we were two years ago. I was drawing attention to the fact that only a few days ago we were thought by those same sages to be a good deal nearer than at any time over the last two seasons. Hope that explains it.
As an aside I thought the problem was that we couldn't compete with the teams at the bottom. Our record against teams in the upper third of the table is pretty decent...
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from barralad

I'm not sure what you don't see. There have been tens of posts on here about Hurst's inabilities since last night with all the recognised sages shaking their heads at the lack of tactics/substitutional nous etc. etc. with the quoted poster claiming we are no nearer promotion than we were two years ago. I was drawing attention to the fact that only a few days ago we were thought by those same sages to be a good deal nearer than at any time over the last two seasons. Hope that explains it.
As an aside I thought the problem was that we couldn't compete with the teams at the bottom. Our record against teams in the upper third of the table is pretty decent...

The frustration is we are continually watching substandard displays with the same depressing factor we lack the ability to score,this is the same as day one of the season,Bristol Rovers away when we dominated the game and failed to score,the problem has not been addressed(nor do I think acknowledged by P.H. since then).
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 8:04pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from BIGChris

Did you go yesterday?

O.K. so we didn't create much yesterday. Was yesterday typical of recent games?

Bolshy sodomist! :)
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2015, 8:08pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from barralad

Its not about creating its about scoring no points for creating chances.
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 74

The frustration is we are continually watching substandard displays with the same depressing factor we lack the ability to score,this is the same as day one of the season,Bristol Rovers away when we dominated the game and failed to score,the problem has not been addressed(nor do I think acknowledged by P.H. since then).

Well, I'm not depressed because I don't think "we are continually watching sub standard displays" I went to the Bristol Rovers away game and to say we dominated the game is pure fantasy IMO. I'm afraid (in case you hadn't realised) that I'm firmly in the camp that would take any number of one nil wins if it meant getting out of this cess pit.
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 8:14pm; Reply: 75

Its not about creating its about scoring no points for creating chances.

Call me picky but it would really benefit the debate if you understood the context of that reply.

For the record I fully understand that there are no points awarded for creating chances....
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 15, 2015, 8:23pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from barralad

Yesterday  was typical of far too many games this season.
Players playing out if position. No plan b when lumping it to LJL fails constantly.
Substitutions far too late for any effect. No physical leadership either on or off the pitch.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2015, 8:31pm; Reply: 77
If you do not consider Lincoln at Home Macclesfield at home ,yesterday substandard just to name three of the top of my head,how would you describe those performances Barra,and to be equally pedantic I did not say I  was depressed merely frustrated..
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 15, 2015, 8:37pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Grimal

I think you will find there is no "pro-Hurst will get us up" brigade any longer, just realists knowing that there is no way he will be replaced at this stage of the season. We are in 4th place at the moment with a chance of making the playoffs but I for one am not sure we will make the top 5 come the end of the season. I sure hope I'm wrong.

You'd be surprised, if we beat Barnet the'll be back. ;)
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 8:40pm; Reply: 79
If you do not consider Lincoln at Home Macclesfield at home ,yesterday substandard just to name three of the top of my head,how would you describe those performances Barra,and to be equally pedantic I did not say I  was depressed merely frustrated..

I would agree wholeheartedly regarding Macc. and yesterday. I will never, ever agree that the Lincoln performance was sub-standard based on 90 minutes.....The trouble was that we lost to Lincoln and a lot of people cannot see past that embarrassment...

Apologies for the depressed-I took it out of context! :-/
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 8:44pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Civvy at last

Yesterday  was typical of far too many games this season.
Players playing out if position. No plan b when lumping it to LJL fails constantly.
Substitutions far too late for any effect. No physical leadership either on or off the pitch.

Jolley aside-and the reasons why have been well discussed (not saying I agree that he should've played as a striker) who else was played out of position?

There were plenty of occasions where we tried to get the ball out wide but were let down by the final cross.

Pearson leads on the pitch

I agree 100% that the subs were too late...(and that is as good as you are going to get!! ;))
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2015, 8:48pm; Reply: 81
Alright what about Southport,Altringham,Torquay, Kidderminster all at home
Posted by: barralad, February 15, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 82
Alright what about Southport,Altringham,Torquay, Kidderminster all at home

Wouldn't disagree re:- Southport or Torquay. I missed the Alty and Kiddy games due to family illness....

Posted by: friskneymariner, February 15, 2015, 9:11pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from barralad

Wouldn't disagree re:- Southport or Torquay. I missed the Alty and Kiddy games due to family illness....

So we are watching substandard performances then.,
Posted by: Teestogreen, February 15, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 84
Luckily, having made the trip to Grimsby, decided not to go to this game because I felt that Grimsby would lose, and spent time with my family. Switched on Radio Humberside at 16.05 and listened to the Scunthorpe game until the inevitable 'newsflash from Blundell Park' that Bristol Rovers had scored. Switched off and went to have a nap - didn't think about football for the rest of the day.

Feeling very relaxed about the inevitability that Grimsby are not going up. Just accept it - it's much less painful.

UTM
Posted by: Abdul19, February 15, 2015, 11:17pm; Reply: 85
Quite a turnaround - going to called off Trophy replays at Gateshead to not going to home games in the space of a month!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 15, 2015, 11:30pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from barralad

I would agree wholeheartedly regarding Macc. and yesterday. I will never, ever agree that the Lincoln performance was sub-standard based on 90 minutes.....The trouble was that we lost to Lincoln and a lot of people cannot see past that embarrassment...

Apologies for the depressed-I took it out of context! :-/

If Macc at home wasn't sub-standard, I'd hate to see us play badly.
Posted by: Teestogreen, February 15, 2015, 11:35pm; Reply: 87
Absolutely - very disappointed at the apparent background problems in trying to replace personnel, before they are discharged. Must be impacting on the general team morale. Hence poor recent results and a team inability to score a goal. Can't see it getting better in the medium term.  
Posted by: barralad, February 16, 2015, 8:48am; Reply: 88
Quoted from KingstonMariner

If Macc at home wasn't sub-standard, I'd hate to see us play badly.

Well we agree on that then.  :o
Posted by: barralad, February 16, 2015, 8:54am; Reply: 89

So we are watching substandard performances then.,

I see what you did there...missing out the key word "continually"

Interspersed with decent performances- Dartford, Halifax, Woking, FGR , Barnet...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree...
Posted by: gtfc82, February 16, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 90
Quoted from Teestogreen

Feeling very relaxed about the inevitability that Grimsby are not going up. Just accept it - it's much less painful.

UTM

I know what you mean! I don't feel relaxed about it though, just fed up!!! Fed up that teams like Burton, Morecambe, Accrington and Fleetwood are in League 2 (on merit) and we're not!!
Posted by: BIGChris, February 16, 2015, 9:07am; Reply: 91
Quoted from gtfc82

I know what you mean! I don't feel relaxed about it though, just fed up!!! Fed up that teams like Burton, Morecambe, Accrington and Fleetwood are in League 2 (on merit) and we're not!!

Fleetwood are in League One but i know how you feel
Posted by: oldun, February 16, 2015, 9:58am; Reply: 92
I don't think Bristol expected to win this game, I think they would have settled for a 0-0. At half time I think they thought actually if we step it up a bit and get at them we might nick one. If we nick one early we can shut up shop and grab 3 points, which is just what happened.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 16, 2015, 10:16am; Reply: 93
Quoted from barralad

I see what you did there...missing out the key word "continually"

Interspersed with decent performances- Dartford, Halifax, Woking, FGR , Barnet...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree...

I will have to disagree to disagree we have witnessed some very good performances especially the ones you mention,the issue is they are too infrequent and our performances are erratic,that is the disappointing and frustrating thing.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 16, 2015, 1:49pm; Reply: 94
Win lose or draw, i find it a mostly boring experience at BP. Every now and again, we get a decent match like Barnet, but they are few and far between.  Finding it very much a drag to haul myself to BP and i don't know if i can stand another season down here unless we get a more dynamic manager and team. I'd rather we failed to go up playing open attacking football, than have to watch that drivel and still fail to get promoted.

If we had played great on Saturday and lost 3-2, then fair enough but it was patently obvious from early on that we were going to create very little and 1 goal would be enough to beat us.

My over riding feeling as i walked home on Saturday was " why do i keep going and paying £18 to watch that garbage, in the hope that this time it will be better" ? 3 of the last 4 home games have been a right let down, not so much because we lost but that we never really looked like we could win. Then there's the Barnet and Eastleigh games which give you hope again, only for the inevitable slap in the face to be just around the corner. I wish Hurst was either brilliant and took us back into the league, or utter garbage and we could get rid. For the last 3 years he has kept dangling success in front of us, then snatching it away, doing just enough for the powers that be to give him that little bit longer.

It's torture.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 16, 2015, 1:55pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from ginnywings
Win lose or draw, i find it a mostly boring experience at BP. Every now and again, we get a decent match like Barnet, but they are few and far between.  Finding it very much a drag to haul myself to BP and i don't know if i can stand another season down here unless we get a more dynamic manager and team. I'd rather we failed to go up playing open attacking football, than have to watch that drivel and still fail to get promoted.

If we had played great on Saturday and lost 3-2, then fair enough but it was patently obvious from early on that we were going to create very little and 1 goal would be enough to beat us.

My over riding feeling as i walked home on Saturday was " why do i keep going and paying £18 to watch that garbage, in the hope that this time it will be better" ? 3 of the last 4 home games have been a right let down, not so much because we lost but that we never really looked like we could win. Then there's the Barnet and Eastleigh games which give you hope again, only for the inevitable slap in the face to be just around the corner. I wish Hurst was either brilliant and took us back into the league, or utter garbage and we could get rid. For the last 3 years he has kept dangling success in front of us, then snatching it away, doing just enough for the powers that be to give him that little bit longer.

It's torture.

We don't always agree but i can't fault any of your comments above
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 16, 2015, 2:12pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from ginnywings

It's torture.

Pretty much spot on Ginny. A big green tick from me.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 16, 2015, 2:33pm; Reply: 97
Spot on above with that feeling.

I'm going to Barnet for no other reason than I've something else to do that way on the following day.  Had it not been for that, I would have half listened on the radio.

My passion for this club is slowly getting sucked out of me.  Saturday's penalty decision was met by some around me with outrage, for me I couldn't be bothered.  I thought it was a penalty anyway but in a promotion battle you appeal for everything.  Penalty decisions, corners, free-kicks, even a throw-in on the halfway line.  Nope, just an acknowledgement that we had diced with danger and got caught.

Their goal - mild mutterings that it looked out of play followed by a meek sigh of resignation that we had given the ball away before that needlessly and then failed to close down.  No screaming at the referee, no frustration at the players for ballsing up, nothing.

I love football, I absolutely love the game.  I've loved it for as long as I can remember.  I love watching entertaining football, I love that feeling of watching any game and feeling breathless at the pace and excitement of it.  Everything about it, even two sides of shocking technical ability can produce a mouthwatering fixture.  Nothing beats that edge of the seat stuff when an attacking minded player picks the ball up and stalks the defenders, teasing them with the ball because you know full well they're not getting near it and he's going for the throat.  Everyone knows it.  The attacker, the crowd, the bench, the referee, even the defender knows.  Absolutely brilliant to watch.  Nothing beats seeing a side suck another side in, drawing them further and further up the pitch, everyone behind the ball.....BANG counter-attack at pace.  

When was the last time you felt that excitement at a Town game?  Better still, when was the last time you went to a game expecting to be entertained in that manner?

I'm turning up out of habit.  Habits are meant to be broken.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 16, 2015, 2:56pm; Reply: 98

6 home defeats to date is getting to be very consistent.

A team reflects the personality of its manager. We will need a new manager at some stage if we want more exciting play.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 16, 2015, 3:07pm; Reply: 99
Spot on Snafu,is it me but does anybody else feel there is something amiss when our main striker is back defending corners,is Hurst expecting too much of him to perform at both ends.
Posted by: BIGChris, February 16, 2015, 3:14pm; Reply: 100
Spot on Snafu,is it me but does anybody else feel there is something amiss when our main striker is back defending corners,is Hurst expecting too much of him to perform at both ends.

I have no issue whatsoever with our 'big striker' helping to defend when opposition have corners. It is part of the job at virtually every club. Livvo, Lump etc were all very effective at defending in our own box from set plays
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2015, 3:16pm; Reply: 101
I think having a tall striker back to help defend corners is pretty commonplace throughout the game.

However, I think you should also leave two players near the half-way line and make sure you have at least one more around the outside of the box. Give the opposition something to think about in defence and more importantly, make sure you have a decent chance of picking up any clearances.
Posted by: oldun, February 16, 2015, 3:39pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from Maringer
I think having a tall striker back to help defend corners is pretty commonplace throughout the game.

However, I think you should also leave two players near the half-way line and make sure you have at least one more around the outside of the box. Give the opposition something to think about in defence and more importantly, make sure you have a decent chance of picking up any clearances.

Interesting that about keeping players up field. On Sat in the first half PH was in the main stand near me and got very vocal trying to get a message to Doig as Bristol had a free kick or corner to get Jack Macreth out of our area as no-one was forward at all. You would expect players would know what positions to take up in those situations without the manager having to shout from the stands.
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2015, 4:39pm; Reply: 103
I often wonder about the 'intelligence' of professional footballers. You'd think it would be common sense for them to organise themselves on the pitch a little bit to make sure that somebody was left upfield, but it doesn't always seem to be the case!
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 16, 2015, 4:48pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from Maringer
I often wonder about the 'intelligence' of professional footballers. You'd think it would be common sense for them to organise themselves on the pitch a little bit to make sure that somebody was left upfield, but it doesn't always seem to be the case!

The problem is managers do not want players to think for themselves,

They do as the manger tells them,

Or they get dropped.
Posted by: gtfc82, February 16, 2015, 4:52pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from BIGChris

Fleetwood are in League One but i know how you feel

Oh yeah, I forgot that!! I don't pay much attention to where they are exactly, I just know it's higher than us!!
Posted by: gtfc82, February 16, 2015, 4:57pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from ginnywings

It's torture.

Sums up my feelings perfectly!!
Posted by: Garth, February 16, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 107
JF needs to be sounding out another manager in case it all goes t1ts up in the next three weeks, I will gladly eat my words if we go on some sort of winning run

Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 17, 2015, 9:17am; Reply: 108
Quoted from ginnywings

It's torture.

Sums it up perfectly for me ginny.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 17, 2015, 4:22pm; Reply: 109
The above heart-felt sentiments reflect what many loyal Town fans are thinking.

Why do most of us keep going?

It is a bit like getting a £100 from a cash machine when you only asked for £50. You keep going even though you know it is wrong.   ;)
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 7:50am