This thread currently has 20,068 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
February 14, 2015, 6:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The only good thing about today is we have peed Barnet off for letting Bristol get closer to them I think they will go on to win the league which is ace at the first time of asking. At least they are a proper club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 109
Mrs Doyle
February 14, 2015, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Just a mention about the ref he was one of the worst I have seen got hardly anything
right today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 109
topuphere666
February 14, 2015, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
First half wasn't bad I didn't think. We had a lot of The ball but never threatened. I do think we should have had a pen in the first period.

Second half we were a different side, devoid of any ideas and resorted to long balls with most of the half left to play. Clay was terrible today with Arnold not much better!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 109
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 14, 2015, 7:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,694
Gold Stars: 72
Bristol weren't that great today, for them that was probably one of their lesser performances, but they were organised and composed, whereas I think we actually had a poorer day than it seemed, as we gave away possesion far too many times and at times seemed fairly disorganised especially upfront, I didn't understand what was supposed to be going on, was jolley supposed to be a striker or a winger? I kept thinking all game about how we missed ollie palmer and with the poor display of passing from us and bristols organisation a more direct approach might've actually been a better idea for today, then near the end he brought on hamish watson who I had forgotten about, and he got his head on the ball and created an opportunity which ross hannah scored thought was contentiously ruled out for offside. Then it got me thinking, we've had these good results with ollie palmer in the team playing a system with him and john lewis upfront, why didn't paul hurst stick with the system and use hamish watson instead. He seems decent enough, hurst must think so, he signed him. Think the problem under hurst often is that we often have good players, and probably have good systems, but they don't quite fit together, and in the midst of it all we don't do alot of basic things. Not enough closing down, not enough communication, poor passing, poor movement, not finding space, week in week out, but we've got good players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 109
headingly_mariner
February 14, 2015, 7:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Started brightly for me but I think we were let down by the fact we had to carry Jolley who did nothing positive in his time on the pitch, he looked off the pace, lacking in confidence and desire, I really hope that was a one off. 2nd half they were on top and a goal was coming, again Hurst was not proactive in trying to change it to stem the tide, had the changes been made before goal we may have seen a different result, thought Hannah was awful when he came on (still did more than Jolley) but Watson looks to have a bit about him and looks a lot fitter and leaner. Ref was garbage, missed a clear pen for us first half and was excrement after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 109
barralad
February 14, 2015, 7:44pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Thought Town started pretty brightly and had the better of  the first half. Lenny got amongst them, Robertson got forward more than I've seen him thus far. Their dead ball delivery caused us problems all game however (and thanks to some pretty abysmal refereeing there were plenty of chances). The big lad up front gave Pearson a harder game than any other player I've seen certainly this season. Toto always has the capacity to worry me but at half time a draw looked the right scoreline.
The "penalty" for Brizzle was quite probably the worst decision I've seen in 40 plus years of watching Town. If it happens anywhere else on the pitch between two outfield players it wouldn't even merit a free kick. Two players went for a high ball and neither of them got anywhere near it.
Second half they often doubled up on Lenny meaning that the second touch he often needs was by one of their players. It could be me but I thought he played much deeper (too deep) in the second half leaving Jolley (who I couldn't work out where exactly he was supposed to be playing) somewhat isolated. I think Mackreth beat his man once in the second 45 minutes and Arnold didn't do much better on the other flank. There was one ridiculous moment where Jolley stood about 3 yards off Arnold in the Imperial corner of the pitch instead of at least providing Nathan with some movement. I felt a bit sorry for Mackreth though as his service as epitomised by Hannah's dreadfully overhit pass when Town were breaking was shocking.
Poor old Ross Hannah cannot seem to do anything right. Clearly offside for his "goal" and then doesn't hit the target from 12(?) yards out. His booking was utterly ridiculous. Hamish looked like he might have something to offer. A great flick on to find Hannah even though he was offside.
Their goal was coming for about ten minutes. Town had had a let off when Macca made a near miraculous stop about five minutes before they scored. The scorer was allowed to bring the ball down without any interference from Arnold or Robertson before beating Macca at his near post.
Town gave it a real go for the last 10 but in reality it was mostly huff and puff.
Bristol weren't great but they did what we do to a lot of teams away from home. I think they will snatch the title from under Barnet's noses.  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 109
ginnywings
February 14, 2015, 8:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad
Thought Town started pretty brightly and had the better of  the first half. Lenny got amongst them, Robertson got forward more than I've seen him thus far. Their dead ball delivery caused us problems all game however (and thanks to some pretty abysmal refereeing there were plenty of chances). The big lad up front gave Pearson a harder game than any other player I've seen certainly this season. Toto always has the capacity to worry me but at half time a draw looked the right scoreline.
The "penalty" for Brizzle was quite probably the worst decision I've seen in 40 plus years of watching Town. If it happens anywhere else on the pitch between two outfield players it wouldn't even merit a free kick. Two players went for a high ball and neither of them got anywhere near it.
Second half they often doubled up on Lenny meaning that the second touch he often needs was by one of their players. It could be me but I thought he played much deeper (too deep) in the second half leaving Jolley (who I couldn't work out where exactly he was supposed to be playing) somewhat isolated. I think Mackreth beat his man once in the second 45 minutes and Arnold didn't do much better on the other flank. There was one ridiculous moment where Jolley stood about 3 yards off Arnold in the Imperial corner of the pitch instead of at least providing Nathan with some movement. I felt a bit sorry for Mackreth though as his service as epitomised by Hannah's dreadfully overhit pass when Town were breaking was shocking.
Poor old Ross Hannah cannot seem to do anything right. Clearly offside for his "goal" and then doesn't hit the target from 12(?) yards out. His booking was utterly ridiculous. Hamish looked like he might have something to offer. A great flick on to find Hannah even though he was offside.
Their goal was coming for about ten minutes. Town had had a let off when Macca made a near miraculous stop about five minutes before they scored. The scorer was allowed to bring the ball down without any interference from Arnold or Robertson before beating Macca at his near post.
Town gave it a real go for the last 10 but in reality it was mostly huff and puff.
Bristol weren't great but they did what we do to a lot of teams away from home. I think they will snatch the title from under Barnet's noses.  

I thought exactly that and they did not put one foot wrong in doing it. Never have i been more certain at half time on the outcome of a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 109
friskneymariner
February 14, 2015, 8:13pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Hate to say this but we missed an outlet on the left Arnold and Robertson did not link up like Thomas and Magnay.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 109
mimma
February 14, 2015, 8:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
I'd just like to add a word about the ref.

He looked out of his depth, but Rovers players soon sussed him out, & "won" a lot of free kicks, & broke the game up with their antics.

It's something we never do, but all the top teams seem to be able to do it, sometimes it's the difference between winning or drawing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 109
chaos33
February 14, 2015, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
When was the last time Arnold or Clay had good games? Will they be dropped or even subbed midway through a game? No chance. We haven't got a good enough manager and we haven't enough players who perform at the top of their games often enough. That's why we're not really in the title race and probably heading for the same old play off disappointment once again.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.