8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
January 17, 2015, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Sorry, my "Just back" comments put on players ratings thread by mistake.  I could not resist checking the ratings and got distracted.

I would add that I thought we were going from 3-1 straight to 5-1.  Which was deserved on the play.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
Grimal
January 17, 2015, 6:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8

Maybe he's Back In The USA?

Perhaps he fooled  us all and went to the match in a "Brilliant disguise" as a Barnet supporter He shouted out you were "Lucky Town" then we all saw through his disguise and realized it was Brucie. He then decided that "because the night" was closing in he was getting a bit scared by the "Darkness on the edge of Town" but that doesn't sound like Brucie, because he's "Tougher than the rest"..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
Nelly GTFC
January 17, 2015, 6:24pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
A few people moaning like **** in the lower smiths when Arnold was on the ball, didn't think he had a bad game at all, kept wanting to come central on and off the ball, don't have an issue with it if he's doing some good.

There was a ball to Mackreth right corner of the Osmond, all on his own no players except one of theirs on him, wish the players would of pushed forward and helped him.

Other than that thought it was a good all round performance, slight mistake by a player and fans get on their backs, hardly put a foot wrong today.  Palmer was brilliant held the ball well, linked well with 'Shop', and scored a cracking goal. If he's got some consistency like that it would be great to keep him till the end of the season, his contract runs out at the end of the season apparently.

All in all though I think the fans were great today, every time we was in their half you could hear "Go on, go on!" cheering them to push forward, need to do this every game, spurs the players on.

A few Mansfield fans were watching the game on BT Sport >> [url=http://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25491]http://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25491[/url]

Palmer said on the radio not long ago "Would love to stay if the opportunity was there, but up to both clubs etc etc."  Good to hear anyway.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
BIGChris
January 17, 2015, 6:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Concur with what most have said. The work rate, effort and fitness were the catalyst for victory.

Agree the ref did pretty well too.

I was very critical of Arnold after Macc at home but he worked hard and gave us an outlet today. Mackreth also did well because he forced their left back to defend as I am told he is one of their stars by creating chances.

It was more of Browns sort of game, ratting around midfield winning the ball and moving it on

Both their centre backs were huge and although Stephens has played well against us in the past he was blowing out his bottom within 20 mins and neither of them could cope with Zlatan or the Shop's movement.

IMO we must rest the starting XI on Monday and play the subs and supplement it with youth so that these guys are fresh for (hopefully) Nuneaton on Saturday.

Credit to the fans too. I could actually hear the Ponny singing for most of the game. Credit
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
TownSNAFU5
January 17, 2015, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
If you could win the league by making the most passes out of play to the Main Stand, then Barnet are champs. This was a result of us pressing them all the time and forcing the errors.  That and tiredness on their part.

Barnet were very poor.  I do not think that they had a good shot on target in open play all game?

Before the game we discussed how many of their players would wear gloves. Answer "none", bar the keeper.  All their players wore short-sleeve shirts with no other visible warm tops (unlike some of our players).   If they wanted to play kidology regarding the view of "southern softies", then it did not help them.  Some of their fans commented when first arriving at the ground as to how bitter cold it was. I am sure their players felt the same.  They were not up for it. They may go on a slump now.  
We were excellent all game. (Apparently the game is shown again on BT Sports tomorrow (Sun) at 0900 hrs.   Magnay is magnificent.  He is also imperious.  Like Bobby Moore used to, he always has enough time even if he is not favourite to get to it.  One-on-one in a very dangerous position, he gets the ball and stops the danger.  All calmly with no fuss. He personally thanked the fans after the game in a very encouraging way.  

"Andy Carroll"  was also the difference up front.  He even has the same pony-tail.  Palmer works harder and is better at holding the ball up.
The fans played their part today. PH said that the players could hear them before the game. The Pontoon were in good voice.  Must be down to those new flags. It is possible that the fans generally were more up for it than the Lincoln game.  This could be because the fanbase was only true supporters today. The atmosphere was not tainted by many non-regulars who are reluctant to give vocal support.  

PH could still find a negative.   On RH afterwards he said that it would be the same group of players whatever position we finished.  He did mention 1st, but also mentioned finishing 16th.  He is allowed to be PH today.  (He also gave the impression that he want to field a strong team at Gateshead, if the game is on).    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
friskneymariner
January 17, 2015, 6:35pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Or Dancing in the dark?  

It appears he doesn't post when Town have Glory Days.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
ginnywings
January 17, 2015, 6:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Haha! Zlatan, that's what i thought too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
cmackenzie4
January 17, 2015, 6:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from friskneymariner

It appears he doesn't post when Town have Glory Days.

Excellent!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
friskneymariner
January 17, 2015, 7:04pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Excellent!

From someone of your seniority that is praise indeed thank you.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
BottesfordMariner
January 17, 2015, 7:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Town were much better today. A huge improvement on the recent home games homes v Lincoln,Macclesfield and Gateshead.

I feared the worst when they went one up but to be fair to Town the players responded and turned the game around very quickly. Barnet had a couple of spells of possession but i dont recall Macca having anything to do really part from picking the ball out of the net on the penalty.

MOM for me was Palmer, scored a great goal and was involved in most of the good things Town did today. He has a good touch for a 'big man'  and was lively. With more games under his belt i am sure he will continue to get better. Is he on a months loan? If so get him to the end of the season.

I would also mention Magnay (as usual) LJL and Disley as standouts. I thought Arnold had some good moments but seemed to run out of steam a bit in the 2nd half. I think if we'd had a wide player on the bench Hurst may have taken him off but Hursty clearly didnt want to change the teams shape and took Palmer off instead.

We beat the top of the league team quite comprehensively so lets hope this builds the confidence and we continue this form into the next games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.