8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
January 17, 2015, 3:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Great win but as others have said, I'm even happier with the performance.
That's the approach we need going into every game, mentally and tactically.

We pressed them all over the pitch, won second balls, looked fitter and stronger the longer the game went on and looked genuinely threatening going forward.

McKeown didn't really have much to do in terms of shots on target.
Apart from his run for their penalty, Akinde didn't really do anything (apart from the disgraceful tackle on Pearson).

Disley and Brown bossed the middle of the pitch, winning headers, tackling well and playing the ball about when we got chance.
Brown was very good and full of energy, breaking forward with the ball pretty much right up to when he came off.
Thought Disley was excellent and without having his usual goal threat, was the best I've seen him for a long time.

Magnay, as ever, was brilliant. I genuinely can't believe he is playing 5th tier football. It perhaps says it all that he often stands out as being an/the outstanding player, in a position where it is nit easy to stand out from the crowd.

Parslow struggled early on to get to grips with Cook as several crosses and attacks went down that side. But Mackreth did well getting back to help second half and Barnet stopped getting the ball out to him anyway.

Toto and Pearson were solid. Toto will know he got turned too easily for the pen but was unlucky to give away the penalty. One of those accidental trips where the legs collide whilst running. Dependable and composed from then on.

Thought Arnold and Mackreth, who both seem to get criticised a lot on here, both had good games. Arnold is quite clever and threads some good balls through to people. He doesn't look very fit to me though - tired second half to the point where he didn't have any acceleration left in the tank and he needed a breather after any run. Mackreth worked very hard and was up against a good left back.

The front two bossed the 2 Barnet centre-backs. Really impressed with Palmer, who put himself about, held the ball up and linked well with Lennie at times. Great finish for his goal which wasn't an easy chance, bobbling as he hit it on the half-volley. Looked to get into goalscoring positions and made good runs. Lennie was Lennie, strong, some good turns and lay offs out wide and confident penalty. The ball really stuck today whenever it went up to these two.

Not getting carried away as the test now is to see if we can maintain that level of performance week-in week-out. Even when picking up wins, we haven't played as well as that (bar the 2 high-scoring wins). If we can keep that level of performance as the standard, the consistency in terms of results will come. And, I would hope, so will the crowds.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 75
moosey_club
January 17, 2015, 3:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,180
Gold Stars: 224
Well done all round.

Was Hurst in the mainstand first half? Good to see Doig spurring players on and animating.

Made the league leaders look less than average, their left back was the outstanding player for them which says alot.

More of the same please.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 75
supertown
January 17, 2015, 4:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
if we play like that every game we will win the league. fact
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 75
Maringer
January 17, 2015, 4:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,370
Gold Stars: 183
A good though not brilliant performance from us. The most pleasing aspect was that nobody had a poor game - following Toto's shockingly bad defending for their goal, he recovered well. Nothing for McKeown to do, which was pleasing to see.

My only real disappointment was that we failed to really finish them off in the second half as we had more than enough chances to score another 2 or 3 goals at the very least.

I have to say that I was most unimpressed by Barnet and can't imagine they've played like that for most of the season as they have so many points on the board! Akinde looked very good in the first half, but quickly ran out of steam in the second half and offered little threat. Could have gone for that foul on Pearson which looked like a tired challenge, but I don't think he was deliberately trying to clobber him. Just a bit clumsy. You can see how they try to pressure the opposition with long balls, set pieces and throws and it was noticeable that their threat in the second half pretty much evaporated after they took their long-throw merchant off. This is something we're badly lacking in the squad at the moment and Parslow's struggle to chuck it 10 yards was a problem at times, though he generally did OK today. Surprised how cumbersome their defenders looked and you can see why they concede a few goals.

Let's hope we can keep this improved form going and it was encouraging to see a decent partnership forming between Palmer and LJL. We'll have to see if this continues or if he stays.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 75
Meza
January 17, 2015, 4:17pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Tommy
Great win but as others have said, I'm even happier with the performance.
That's the approach we need going into every game, mentally and tactically.

We pressed them all over the pitch, won second balls, looked fitter and stronger the longer the game went on and looked genuinely threatening going forward.

McKeown didn't really have much to do in terms of shots on target.
Apart from his run for their penalty, Akinde didn't really do anything (apart from the disgraceful tackle on Pearson).

Disley and Brown bossed the middle of the pitch, winning headers, tackling well and playing the ball about when we got chance.
Brown was very good and full of energy, breaking forward with the ball pretty much right up to when he came off.
Thought Disley was excellent and without having his usual goal threat, was the best I've seen him for a long time.

Magnay, as ever, was brilliant. I genuinely can't believe he is playing 5th tier football. It perhaps says it all that he often stands out as being an/the outstanding player, in a position where it is nit easy to stand out from the crowd.

Parslow struggled early on to get to grips with Cook as several crosses and attacks went down that side. But Mackreth did well getting back to help second half and Barnet stopped getting the ball out to him anyway.

Toto and Pearson were solid. Toto will know he got turned too easily for the pen but was unlucky to give away the penalty. One of those accidental trips where the legs collide whilst running. Dependable and composed from then on.

Thought Arnold and Mackreth, who both seem to get criticised a lot on here, both had good games. Arnold is quite clever and threads some good balls through to people. He doesn't look very fit to me though - tired second half to the point where he didn't have any acceleration left in the tank and he needed a breather after any run. Mackreth worked very hard and was up against a good left back.

The front two bossed the 2 Barnet centre-backs. Really impressed with Palmer, who put himself about, held the ball up and linked well with Lennie at times. Great finish for his goal which wasn't an easy chance, bobbling as he hit it on the half-volley. Looked to get into goalscoring positions and made good runs. Lennie was Lennie, strong, some good turns and lay offs out wide and confident penalty. The ball really stuck today whenever it went up to these two.

Not getting carried away as the test now is to see if we can maintain that level of performance week-in week-out. Even when picking up wins, we haven't played as well as that (bar the 2 high-scoring wins). If we can keep that level of performance as the standard, the consistency in terms of results will come. And, I would hope, so will the crowds.

Great summary Tommy totally agree....did you see Mackreth take on his fullback and get a cross in after beating him to the byline.  Its amazing what confidence can just see Lincoln

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 75
Jarmo.Is.God
January 17, 2015, 4:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Parslow disappointing.

Brown back to his best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 75
the driver
January 17, 2015, 4:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +127
Agree with most comments MOM for me Mags also thought the ref had a very good match nice to see
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 75
DocTower
January 17, 2015, 4:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Did you see who was geaing  the team on from the dug out , Doig ,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 75
chaos33
January 17, 2015, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Yep well summed up in lots of these posts and especially by Ginny and Tommy. Excellent.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 75
chicaneuk
January 17, 2015, 5:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Watched the game at a mates house on BT Sport and thought it was brilliant. I think like a lot of fans I didn't have high hopes going into the game but at least hoped we'd scrape a draw out of it.

But what a result. Was so proud for the players and the manager today - they absolutely bossed it. Excellent performances all round. I wish we'd managed to convert a few more of the chances into goals, but that minor gripe can't take away from what was a thoroughly convincing performance.

And what a signing Palmer has turned out to be. He was a commanding presence up front, he was regularly in just the right place for a passes or second ball in the box.

Maybe time to cast aside my doubts and negativity and get some enthusiasm for Hurst again, and the excellent squad that I think we all know are busting with potential and just need some more confidence - hopefully this result will go some way to giving that to them.

Well done to the lads. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.