Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, January 17, 2015, 2:56pm
Fantastic performance. From all players! Credit ph as well, fans very good, best performace of the season for me! Nothing to fear from them! They were dear god awful! Akinde should have been off IMO! But we should be very proud of our efforts this afternoon! UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, January 17, 2015, 3:05pm; Reply: 1
At last, at last, at last, a performance worthy of the name.

After their penalty we just blew them away all over the pitch. First to everything, won most headers and tackles but most of all, got the ball down and played football. Ollie Palmer was fantastic and my MOM, just. Many fine performances and Arnold was as good today as i've seen him and light years beyond his Xmas efforts. Credit where it's due. Defence were solid as a rock after the early set back. Macca hardly troubled.

It is however bittersweet, because to see us play like this just makes the losses to teams down below all the more galling. We could be pi$$ing this league

Anyway, it's about today and the players were to a man fantastic. Restored my faith a bit in the team and the manager.

Well done all, including the fans who showed they will get behind the team if they perform.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 17, 2015, 3:06pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from ginnywings
At last, at last, at last, a performance worthy of the name.

After their penalty we just blew them away all over the pitch. First to everything, won most headers and tackles but most of all, got the ball down and played football. Ollie Palmer was fantastic and my MOM, just. Many fine performances and Arnold was as good today as i've seen him and light years beyond his Xmas efforts. Credit where it's due. Defence were solid as a rock after the early set back. Macca hardly troubled.

It is however bittersweet, because to see us play like this just makes the losses to teams down below all the more galling. We could be pi$$ing this league

Anyway, it's about today and the players were to a man fantastic. Restored my faith a bit in the team and the manger.

Well done all, including the fans who showed they will get behind the team if they perform.

My thoughts exactly, today's performance has given me a right buzz, the closing down and chasing Barnet all over the pitch was great to see.
Posted by: mimma, January 17, 2015, 3:08pm; Reply: 3
Agreed!!

We were just better in all departments than them.

Palmer looks like what we have been missing. Tall & athletic. Brilliant finish for his goal.

Pearson had Akinde in his pocket all game, but every player played well, no weak links.Magney MOM for me.

Begs the question why can't we play like that every game?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 17, 2015, 3:13pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from mimma
Agreed!!

We were just better in all departments than them.

Palmer looks like what we have been missing. Tall & athletic. Brilliant finish for his goal.

Pearson had Akinde in his pocket all game, but every player played well, no weak links.Magney MOM for me.

Meant to mention Magnay but freezing and needed to make a cuppa. What a signing he has been.

Only gave Palmer my MOM because it was his league debut and he made all the difference up front. We've had some good performances without looking dangerous up top this season. He changed all that and could be that missing ingredient.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 17, 2015, 3:15pm; Reply: 5
Sounded very good on the radio. Just as we shouldn't overreact to a bad result / performance, we shouldn't get too carried away after a win. But a performance and result like that against the leaders shows the players do have it in them. Now let's have some consistency please. Approach each game positively and get the right service into LJL and Palmer's feet. Balls to the FA trophy, the promotion push is back on
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 17, 2015, 3:16pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Marinerz93

My thoughts exactly, today's performance has given me a right buzz, the closing down and chasing Barnet all over the pitch was great to see.

Especially after the 3rd goal when I half expected to see us sink back and let them have the ball. This is the way the team should be playing every game - to its strengths.

Palmer looked to have some presence, took his goal well and should have had two more. Arnold looked interested as well but Magnay looked the class player.

What struck me about Barnet was the size of some of their players, there were at least 3 or 4 who seemed well overweight and it showed in the second half when we looked much fitter than them.

Posted by: Rick12, January 17, 2015, 3:19pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from mimma

What I think John Lewis said as well in the interview post match.They do it against the big teams but the smaller teams can struggle.Is it a case of arrogance?   Hope Hurst can address this because based on that performance we would probably be winning most  of our games if that level was kept up
Posted by: RoboCod, January 17, 2015, 3:19pm; Reply: 8
Agree with all the points made, keep this up Town. Such energy, this is the Brown we all hoped that we'd signed. Too many great displays to mention but I'd like to make a mention for the ref, great display, spotted almost everything and made the best use of the advantage rule I've seen in yonks.
I'm convinced refereeing displays of this quality would bring more fans in and lead to better games.
A good day.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 17, 2015, 3:19pm; Reply: 9
Excellent performance. Well done Palmer and Magnay especially but I felt everyone put a great shift in.
Posted by: Meza, January 17, 2015, 3:21pm; Reply: 10
Anybody who criticises that performance is not a GTFC supporter, i watched the game on  BT sports we was up and at them our movement was good our tackling was hard and Palmer for me was the catalyst for that.  Ok we conceded a penalty which was unfortunate for Nsiala but the character of those players was superb.

Well done all at town cant wait to see who these 2 new players are going to be extra strength and depth.  
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 17, 2015, 3:25pm; Reply: 11
saw it on the TV , excellent performance and reminded me of a few years ago when we just loved playing at Blundell park.

great stuff that.
Posted by: Meza, January 17, 2015, 3:29pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jonnyboy82
saw it on the TV , excellent performance and reminded me of a few years ago when we just loved playing at Blundell park.

great stuff that.

Apart from when LJL scored the penalty as he turns around shouting Jonnyboy!!! Lol
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, January 17, 2015, 3:31pm; Reply: 13
Well done Town. This is the Benchmark for rest of the season.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 17, 2015, 3:31pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Meza

Apart from when LJL scored the penalty as he turns around shouting Jonnyboy!!! Lol

haha..
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, January 17, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 15
Jonnyboy admit you are getting a bit nervous now?
Posted by: TAGG, January 17, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 16
LJL did loads of work to give Palmer room to move. Magnay is fookin ace MOM.
Tempo was fantastic from the start.
Well done Town 😊
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 17, 2015, 3:49pm; Reply: 17
Thought we were excellent and deserved 5 or 6, Ollie Palmer looks decent, he played right down the middle, let Lenny do the legwork and was busy in the danger areas, looks a proper centre forward. Magnay, Disley, Lenny and Pearson were outstanding.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, January 17, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from TAGG
LJL did loads of work to give Palmer room to move. Magnay is fookin ace MOM.
Tempo was fantastic from the start.
Well done Town 😊

Exactly what I was gonna post .
Sat in the osmond today ,hope they keep it open for future games , a few hundred  in there would improve the atmospher most weeks ,atmosphere was good today crowd responded to the effort displayed on the pitch .
UTM
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 17, 2015, 3:52pm; Reply: 19

Especially after the 3rd goal when I half expected to see us sink back and let them have the ball. This is the way the team should be playing every game - to its strengths.

Palmer looked to have some presence, took his goal well and should have had two more. Arnold looked interested as well but Magnay looked the class player.

What struck me about Barnet was the size of some of their players, there were at least 3 or 4 who seemed well overweight and it showed in the second half when we looked much fitter than them.

I knew we would come under the kosh a bit in the second half but I didn't expect us to increase the lead so soon, Palmer certainly key in the manner in which we won.

The tempo we were playing at again was key in the standard of the performance, Barnet have some quick and skilful players but I feel like you said we got to the slower players.  Allen started to throw more players forward which gave us more room in the middle and final third of the pitch.
Posted by: Tommy, January 17, 2015, 3:57pm; Reply: 20
Great win but as others have said, I'm even happier with the performance.
That's the approach we need going into every game, mentally and tactically.

We pressed them all over the pitch, won second balls, looked fitter and stronger the longer the game went on and looked genuinely threatening going forward.

McKeown didn't really have much to do in terms of shots on target.
Apart from his run for their penalty, Akinde didn't really do anything (apart from the disgraceful tackle on Pearson).

Disley and Brown bossed the middle of the pitch, winning headers, tackling well and playing the ball about when we got chance.
Brown was very good and full of energy, breaking forward with the ball pretty much right up to when he came off.
Thought Disley was excellent and without having his usual goal threat, was the best I've seen him for a long time.

Magnay, as ever, was brilliant. I genuinely can't believe he is playing 5th tier football. It perhaps says it all that he often stands out as being an/the outstanding player, in a position where it is nit easy to stand out from the crowd.

Parslow struggled early on to get to grips with Cook as several crosses and attacks went down that side. But Mackreth did well getting back to help second half and Barnet stopped getting the ball out to him anyway.

Toto and Pearson were solid. Toto will know he got turned too easily for the pen but was unlucky to give away the penalty. One of those accidental trips where the legs collide whilst running. Dependable and composed from then on.

Thought Arnold and Mackreth, who both seem to get criticised a lot on here, both had good games. Arnold is quite clever and threads some good balls through to people. He doesn't look very fit to me though - tired second half to the point where he didn't have any acceleration left in the tank and he needed a breather after any run. Mackreth worked very hard and was up against a good left back.

The front two bossed the 2 Barnet centre-backs. Really impressed with Palmer, who put himself about, held the ball up and linked well with Lennie at times. Great finish for his goal which wasn't an easy chance, bobbling as he hit it on the half-volley. Looked to get into goalscoring positions and made good runs. Lennie was Lennie, strong, some good turns and lay offs out wide and confident penalty. The ball really stuck today whenever it went up to these two.

Not getting carried away as the test now is to see if we can maintain that level of performance week-in week-out. Even when picking up wins, we haven't played as well as that (bar the 2 high-scoring wins). If we can keep that level of performance as the standard, the consistency in terms of results will come. And, I would hope, so will the crowds.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 17, 2015, 3:59pm; Reply: 21
Well done all round.

Was Hurst in the mainstand first half? Good to see Doig spurring players on and animating.

Made the league leaders look less than average, their left back was the outstanding player for them which says alot.

More of the same please.

Posted by: supertown, January 17, 2015, 4:12pm; Reply: 22
if we play like that every game we will win the league. fact
Posted by: Maringer, January 17, 2015, 4:16pm; Reply: 23
A good though not brilliant performance from us. The most pleasing aspect was that nobody had a poor game - following Toto's shockingly bad defending for their goal, he recovered well. Nothing for McKeown to do, which was pleasing to see.

My only real disappointment was that we failed to really finish them off in the second half as we had more than enough chances to score another 2 or 3 goals at the very least.

I have to say that I was most unimpressed by Barnet and can't imagine they've played like that for most of the season as they have so many points on the board! Akinde looked very good in the first half, but quickly ran out of steam in the second half and offered little threat. Could have gone for that foul on Pearson which looked like a tired challenge, but I don't think he was deliberately trying to clobber him. Just a bit clumsy. You can see how they try to pressure the opposition with long balls, set pieces and throws and it was noticeable that their threat in the second half pretty much evaporated after they took their long-throw merchant off. This is something we're badly lacking in the squad at the moment and Parslow's struggle to chuck it 10 yards was a problem at times, though he generally did OK today. Surprised how cumbersome their defenders looked and you can see why they concede a few goals.

Let's hope we can keep this improved form going and it was encouraging to see a decent partnership forming between Palmer and LJL. We'll have to see if this continues or if he stays.
Posted by: Meza, January 17, 2015, 4:17pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Tommy
Great win but as others have said, I'm even happier with the performance.
That's the approach we need going into every game, mentally and tactically.

We pressed them all over the pitch, won second balls, looked fitter and stronger the longer the game went on and looked genuinely threatening going forward.

McKeown didn't really have much to do in terms of shots on target.
Apart from his run for their penalty, Akinde didn't really do anything (apart from the disgraceful tackle on Pearson).

Disley and Brown bossed the middle of the pitch, winning headers, tackling well and playing the ball about when we got chance.
Brown was very good and full of energy, breaking forward with the ball pretty much right up to when he came off.
Thought Disley was excellent and without having his usual goal threat, was the best I've seen him for a long time.

Magnay, as ever, was brilliant. I genuinely can't believe he is playing 5th tier football. It perhaps says it all that he often stands out as being an/the outstanding player, in a position where it is nit easy to stand out from the crowd.

Parslow struggled early on to get to grips with Cook as several crosses and attacks went down that side. But Mackreth did well getting back to help second half and Barnet stopped getting the ball out to him anyway.

Toto and Pearson were solid. Toto will know he got turned too easily for the pen but was unlucky to give away the penalty. One of those accidental trips where the legs collide whilst running. Dependable and composed from then on.

Thought Arnold and Mackreth, who both seem to get criticised a lot on here, both had good games. Arnold is quite clever and threads some good balls through to people. He doesn't look very fit to me though - tired second half to the point where he didn't have any acceleration left in the tank and he needed a breather after any run. Mackreth worked very hard and was up against a good left back.

The front two bossed the 2 Barnet centre-backs. Really impressed with Palmer, who put himself about, held the ball up and linked well with Lennie at times. Great finish for his goal which wasn't an easy chance, bobbling as he hit it on the half-volley. Looked to get into goalscoring positions and made good runs. Lennie was Lennie, strong, some good turns and lay offs out wide and confident penalty. The ball really stuck today whenever it went up to these two.

Not getting carried away as the test now is to see if we can maintain that level of performance week-in week-out. Even when picking up wins, we haven't played as well as that (bar the 2 high-scoring wins). If we can keep that level of performance as the standard, the consistency in terms of results will come. And, I would hope, so will the crowds.

Great summary Tommy totally agree....did you see Mackreth take on his fullback and get a cross in after beating him to the byline.  Its amazing what confidence can just see Lincoln
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 17, 2015, 4:18pm; Reply: 25
Parslow disappointing.

Brown back to his best
Posted by: the driver, January 17, 2015, 4:22pm; Reply: 26
Agree with most comments MOM for me Mags also thought the ref had a very good match nice to see
Posted by: DocTower, January 17, 2015, 4:28pm; Reply: 27
Did you see who was geaing  the team on from the dug out , Doig ,
Posted by: chaos33, January 17, 2015, 4:56pm; Reply: 28
Yep well summed up in lots of these posts and especially by Ginny and Tommy. Excellent.
Posted by: chicaneuk, January 17, 2015, 5:03pm; Reply: 29
Watched the game at a mates house on BT Sport and thought it was brilliant. I think like a lot of fans I didn't have high hopes going into the game but at least hoped we'd scrape a draw out of it.

But what a result. Was so proud for the players and the manager today - they absolutely bossed it. Excellent performances all round. I wish we'd managed to convert a few more of the chances into goals, but that minor gripe can't take away from what was a thoroughly convincing performance.

And what a signing Palmer has turned out to be. He was a commanding presence up front, he was regularly in just the right place for a passes or second ball in the box.

Maybe time to cast aside my doubts and negativity and get some enthusiasm for Hurst again, and the excellent squad that I think we all know are busting with potential and just need some more confidence - hopefully this result will go some way to giving that to them.

Well done to the lads. UTM.
Posted by: barralad, January 17, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 30
Well I really enjoyed that...

Cannot add much to what has already been written.

Barnet's defence was shocking. The number 6 made McNulty of Luton look like Twiggy and didn't have a tenth of his application.

Pleased for Mackreth and Arnold after recent games.

LJL got through so much work today.....
Posted by: RichMariner, January 17, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 31
I watched it on BT Sport and was impressed by the whole team's performance.

As others have said, aside from that moment of poor defending by Toto, we controlled that match brilliantly against the division's best team.

I thought Palmer just had that extra bit of quality about him. Looks like he could be an important player for us if he can repeat that display.

He drew some praise from the commentary team actually, for his willingness to run and run and run, and defend from the front. Sometimes when you bring a player like that into the side - someone like Shane Long, who chases everything - it raises the energy levels of others.

Brown and Disley looked accomplished in midfield, while Mackreth and Arnold posed them problems from out wide.

I'm also pleased for Mackreth - he has got a bit of criticism, but since the end of November he's been chipping in with goals, and he's got his fair share of assists too.

McKeown didn't have to do much. Thought Pearson was superb - and I thought that was a naughty challenge by Akinde. Looked like he knew exactly what he was doing. I bet he's not used to being snuffed out of games like that.

Magnay was excellent.
Posted by: Grimal, January 17, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 32
Just had a quick search through the threads and can't find any posts from Mr Springsteen, would love to hear his views on todays performance, if he was watching the game.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 17, 2015, 5:30pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Grimal
Just had a quick search through the threads and can't find any posts from Mr Springsteen, would love to hear his views on todays performance, if he was watching the game.

Maybe he's Back In The USA?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 17, 2015, 5:35pm; Reply: 34
Thought we were excellent today. Think Hurst and the team deserve a lot of the credit.

Shop and Palmer worked really well together and I hope we can keep these together. Arnold and Magnay were also excellent. Our worst player was Mckeown - just didn't do anything  -  ;)

I though Barnet looked a good side for the 20 minutes before half time an 5 minutes, I an see why they are top of the league. Cook looked quality and Akinde's movement was good but our third killed them off. Allen played right into our hands by going 4-2-4 creating space in the middle of the park which Arnold and Mackraith flourished with.

I think this result shows why we do better away and against good sides. When teams attack us we are good enough to soak up the pressure and hit them on the counter when they're stretched. But when team sit deep we just don't have another way to break them down. I think against average sides we need to look at playing 4-3-3 with neilson sitting behind our front pair.

One final point - our effort was superb and our fitness was excellent - would we have been able to do this had we played Gateshead midweek? I think we got slightly lucky there and it is something for Hurst (and Fenty to ponder).

Anyway onwards and upwards. if we win our games in hand and beat them at he Hive we are only 3 points behind them - but that's a big IF.

UTM
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 17, 2015, 5:39pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Grimal

Perhaps he's Growin Up.
Posted by: barralad, January 17, 2015, 5:48pm; Reply: 36

We live in hope but I suspect he has an open return ticket for the next defeat...
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 17, 2015, 5:51pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from barralad

We live in hope but I suspect he has an open return ticket for the next defeat...

Well Its Hard to be a Saint.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 17, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 38

Or Dancing in the dark?  ;)
Posted by: mariner83, January 17, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 39
[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/x21kox.jpg[/IMG]
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 17, 2015, 6:16pm; Reply: 40
Sorry, my "Just back" comments put on players ratings thread by mistake.  I could not resist checking the ratings and got distracted.

I would add that I thought we were going from 3-1 straight to 5-1.  Which was deserved on the play.  
Posted by: Grimal, January 17, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 41

Perhaps he fooled  us all and went to the match in a "Brilliant disguise" as a Barnet supporter He shouted out you were "Lucky Town" then we all saw through his disguise and realized it was Brucie. He then decided that "because the night" was closing in he was getting a bit scared by the "Darkness on the edge of Town" but that doesn't sound like Brucie, because he's "Tougher than the rest"..
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 17, 2015, 6:24pm; Reply: 42
A few people moaning like **** in the lower smiths when Arnold was on the ball, didn't think he had a bad game at all, kept wanting to come central on and off the ball, don't have an issue with it if he's doing some good.

There was a ball to Mackreth right corner of the Osmond, all on his own no players except one of theirs on him, wish the players would of pushed forward and helped him.

Other than that thought it was a good all round performance, slight mistake by a player and fans get on their backs, hardly put a foot wrong today.  Palmer was brilliant held the ball well, linked well with 'Shop', and scored a cracking goal. If he's got some consistency like that it would be great to keep him till the end of the season, his contract runs out at the end of the season apparently.

All in all though I think the fans were great today, every time we was in their half you could hear "Go on, go on!" cheering them to push forward, need to do this every game, spurs the players on.

A few Mansfield fans were watching the game on BT Sport >> [url=http://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25491]http://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25491[/url]

Palmer said on the radio not long ago "Would love to stay if the opportunity was there, but up to both clubs etc etc."  Good to hear anyway. :)
Posted by: BIGChris, January 17, 2015, 6:25pm; Reply: 43
Concur with what most have said. The work rate, effort and fitness were the catalyst for victory.

Agree the ref did pretty well too.

I was very critical of Arnold after Macc at home but he worked hard and gave us an outlet today. Mackreth also did well because he forced their left back to defend as I am told he is one of their stars by creating chances.

It was more of Browns sort of game, ratting around midfield winning the ball and moving it on

Both their centre backs were huge and although Stephens has played well against us in the past he was blowing out his bottom within 20 mins and neither of them could cope with Zlatan or the Shop's movement.

IMO we must rest the starting XI on Monday and play the subs and supplement it with youth so that these guys are fresh for (hopefully) Nuneaton on Saturday.

Credit to the fans too. I could actually hear the Ponny singing for most of the game. Credit
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 17, 2015, 6:35pm; Reply: 44
If you could win the league by making the most passes out of play to the Main Stand, then Barnet are champs. This was a result of us pressing them all the time and forcing the errors.  That and tiredness on their part.

Barnet were very poor.  I do not think that they had a good shot on target in open play all game?

Before the game we discussed how many of their players would wear gloves. Answer "none", bar the keeper.  All their players wore short-sleeve shirts with no other visible warm tops (unlike some of our players).   If they wanted to play kidology regarding the view of "southern softies", then it did not help them.  Some of their fans commented when first arriving at the ground as to how bitter cold it was. I am sure their players felt the same.  They were not up for it. They may go on a slump now.  
We were excellent all game. (Apparently the game is shown again on BT Sports tomorrow (Sun) at 0900 hrs.   Magnay is magnificent.  He is also imperious.  Like Bobby Moore used to, he always has enough time even if he is not favourite to get to it.  One-on-one in a very dangerous position, he gets the ball and stops the danger.  All calmly with no fuss. He personally thanked the fans after the game in a very encouraging way.  

"Andy Carroll"  was also the difference up front.  He even has the same pony-tail.  Palmer works harder and is better at holding the ball up.
The fans played their part today. PH said that the players could hear them before the game. The Pontoon were in good voice.  Must be down to those new flags. It is possible that the fans generally were more up for it than the Lincoln game.  This could be because the fanbase was only true supporters today. The atmosphere was not tainted by many non-regulars who are reluctant to give vocal support.  

PH could still find a negative.   On RH afterwards he said that it would be the same group of players whatever position we finished.  He did mention 1st, but also mentioned finishing 16th.  He is allowed to be PH today.  (He also gave the impression that he want to field a strong team at Gateshead, if the game is on).    
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 17, 2015, 6:35pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Or Dancing in the dark?  ;)

It appears he doesn't post when Town have Glory Days.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 17, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 46
Haha! Zlatan, that's what i thought too.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 17, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from friskneymariner

It appears he doesn't post when Town have Glory Days.

Excellent!
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 17, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Excellent!

From someone of your seniority that is praise indeed thank you.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, January 17, 2015, 7:26pm; Reply: 49
Town were much better today. A huge improvement on the recent home games homes v Lincoln,Macclesfield and Gateshead.

I feared the worst when they went one up but to be fair to Town the players responded and turned the game around very quickly. Barnet had a couple of spells of possession but i dont recall Macca having anything to do really part from picking the ball out of the net on the penalty.

MOM for me was Palmer, scored a great goal and was involved in most of the good things Town did today. He has a good touch for a 'big man'  and was lively. With more games under his belt i am sure he will continue to get better. Is he on a months loan? If so get him to the end of the season.

I would also mention Magnay (as usual) LJL and Disley as standouts. I thought Arnold had some good moments but seemed to run out of steam a bit in the 2nd half. I think if we'd had a wide player on the bench Hurst may have taken him off but Hursty clearly didnt want to change the teams shape and took Palmer off instead.

We beat the top of the league team quite comprehensively so lets hope this builds the confidence and we continue this form into the next games.
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 17, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 50
useful 3 points, and obviously a better performance....not getting carried away, could easilly miss out on POFFS, if recent form comes back to haunt us...

one swallow...

Hurst out
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 17, 2015, 7:35pm; Reply: 51
Great result and performance, really wish we were out of the Trophy. Have been told that Mr F has targeted at least one trip to Wembley for financial reasons obviously.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 17, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Bruce Springsteen
useful 3 points, and obviously a better performance....not getting carried away, could easilly miss out on POFFS, if recent form comes back to haunt us...

one swallow...

Hurst out

You are just being a Cautious Man.
Posted by: bradzmilne, January 17, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 53
Well, that was in one word brilliant,
Hursty wonders why we as a group of fans get frustrated and moan, well truth be told its because we can do that. and truth be told i still think we had another gear to go into if was required.
Crowd was fantastic, positive vibes from fans rubbing off on players?
Palmer was different class, he's play back to goal 30/40 yards out was absolutely sublime. Between him and shop, Barnet's defense just had too much to deal with and allowed Arnold and Mackreth too much space and time. Just allowed us to get in behind time and time again.
Brown and Disley ran the show, clearly saw how much luck wingers were having early doors and kept spreading the ball out wide time and time again.
Defense had little to do, mopped up well. In all fairness I was very impressed the way we played out from the back instead of hitting it long every time.
We don't get many nights like this as a town fan these days, embrace it lads. UTM
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 17, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 54
I stayed away today, stuff like today could tempt me back much much quicker. Hopefully we can finally kick on from here (about the 5th time I've said that this season ;D)

Good to see Palmer impressed and delighted for Mackreth.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 17, 2015, 8:21pm; Reply: 55
My lad, unfamiliar with Palmer, jokingly asked me how we'd managed to get Zlatan  (icon_smile)(icon_smile)
A nickname is born..hope he can keep doing what he's doing, a real handful.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 17, 2015, 8:55pm; Reply: 56
Played golf, a bit nippy to say the least, and then just got back to watch game on tv. Thought best game seen us play this season and after being critical of players I want to say that Mckreth andLJL were excellent today and LJL made Akinde look ordinary. Thought we played to Mckreth's strength by getting a number of balls inside the full back which allowed him the opportunity to use his pace.

Failed to deliver decent crosses from both wings on a number of occasions which would have allowed us the chance to really whup em but minor issue in the scheme of things today.

Double edged sword as PH fans will say whats wrong whereas us detractors will ask why is it not like this 80% of the time, but not a time to dwell on what ifs lets just enjoy a great rssult.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 17, 2015, 9:18pm; Reply: 57
People saying doig did wonders on touchline, I agree, but you see a different game in the stands and fair play to Hurst for doing it and it worked, credit to both
Posted by: LH, January 17, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 58
Cynically I think Hurst has moved to the stands to stop people criticising his touchline demeanour. Passion and management styles are not always displayed by being a shouty, arm wavy person.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 17, 2015, 9:28pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
People saying doig did wonders on touchline, I agree, but you see a different game in the stands and fair play to Hurst for doing it and it worked, credit to both

wonder where they dreamed that idea up...

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1420274533//id-923452

;)

Posted by: petethemariner, January 17, 2015, 10:19pm; Reply: 60
I think  it could maybe be a win-win situation if PH  sits in the stand, and lets Doig do the motivation thing , that's clearly not
PH's strength, Scott was previously the motivator (for want of a better word)  of the two and  it also takes PH out of the spotlight
for  his apparent lack of animation on the touchline, whilst at the same time  giving Doig, who is assistant manager after all, a
real purpose to his job, judged by todays performance it could be an arrangement that pays dividends.
Lets hope so.
Posted by: davmariner, January 17, 2015, 10:49pm; Reply: 61
Doig did wonders? Have I missed something? I know Paul was in the stands but are we really saying Doig 'worked wonders'?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 17, 2015, 11:05pm; Reply: 62

Somebody posted a link to Barnet's site:

Makes great reading, particularly, after we have had a go at our team recently.  Many of their fans believe that they are in burn-out mode, their defence is poor and they will end up in the playoffs. They thought that we dominated the game - which we did.

One comment below that is typical;

"3-1. We've done nothing with our corners and crosses but every time they attack they look like scoring. So much space behind our defence. Goodbye champions".

We of course, got even better after scoring the third goal.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 17, 2015, 11:10pm; Reply: 63
Although only 3100 there I thought the atmosphere was decent.

Flags in the Ponny looked good although i am not sure I would have wanted one in front of me!

Talking of fans I see that Bristol rovers took 1896 to Woking with 300 locked out! Thats impressive.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 17, 2015, 11:25pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from BIGChris
Although only 3100 there I thought the atmosphere was decent.

Flags in the Ponny looked good although i am not sure I would have wanted one in front of me!

It was a good atmosphere today but its a shame the noisy corner in the pontoon don't understand that if they go anywhere else in the ground the noise will be twice as loud. The centre of the pontoon would be much more appropriate or the Osmond corner. Or another option would be to erect a piece of metal there to stop the noise from travelling out to the side.
Posted by: Tom13, January 17, 2015, 11:27pm; Reply: 65
Doig stands up and shouts every game anyway doesn't he? I didn't notice anything different to usual from him other than Hurst wasn't next to him.
Posted by: petethemariner, January 17, 2015, 11:57pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Tom13
Doig stands up and shouts every game anyway doesn't he? I didn't notice anything different to usual from him other than Hurst wasn't next to him.

Perhaps that's the key Tom! Who Knows?
Posted by: sparko501, January 18, 2015, 12:04am; Reply: 67
Quoted from Tom13

I agree Doig is alway on his feet and doing his bit.

I think today was just a absolute solid performance I just hope we carry on playing how we did today.  This is the reason we get so frustrated we know what our players are capable of and today just showed how good a team we are but we need to take the same mentality into every game not just when we are playing the 'big boys' .

Still absolutely buzzing from today and will be for a while UTM!!!
Posted by: EY Mariner, January 18, 2015, 12:39am; Reply: 68
As my boss is a Barnet fan who's been getting rather too confident of late, I shall very much enjoy Monday morning.
Posted by: sparko501, January 18, 2015, 12:46am; Reply: 69
Quoted from EY Mariner
As my boss is a Barnet fan who's been getting rather too confident of late, I shall very much enjoy Monday morning.

Haha excellent, don't say anything just walk around with a huge grin all day and highlight anything that involves the number 3  ;D
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 18, 2015, 12:47am; Reply: 70
Despite the comments that have been coming from within the club and some on here, that game just showed what the fans can be like if the players man up and perform like that most games.

Much better than recent when we get at the opposition and put them under pressure.

Magnay again great and well on the way to being player of the season although for me I would have given motm to Palmer for his contribution, seems a long time since a centre forward has worried the opposition defence like that.

Mackreth had his best game for a while but Arnold seems to switch off for me at times when he should have done better.

Still think we need a proper right back as despite Toto letting Akinde get the better of him for the penalty, Parslow was awol from his position again.

The players and Paul Hurst can sit back tonight and take the plaudits but they must show the same level of performance in the next league game whenever that may be.

Oh and not that impressed by Barnet if I'm honest.
Posted by: EY Mariner, January 18, 2015, 12:47am; Reply: 71
Think I'll let a Town tie say everything for me.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 18, 2015, 2:02am; Reply: 72
So Town fans are the only ones that moan at  their team even though we are in fourth place when things don't go right.

Barnet top by 5 points and plenty moaning at players, performance, and manager's team selection and tactics. ;)

http://www.onlybarnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8855&start=150
Posted by: Youngy, January 18, 2015, 9:27am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Tom13

I sit just behind the dug out for most games and whilst Doig does shout alot usually, I noticed he was giving more instructions out yesterday, bringing players over to the bench and encouraging them to push forward.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 18, 2015, 9:48am; Reply: 74
Nice to see opposition fans moaning about the standard of their corners :) They were poor in that respect, Akinde surely should be making corners terrifying but he was well marshalled throughout. Towns corners were better, not the best but not stand-out awful like recent games. Really not much to criticise about the display, hope Hurst and Doig can re-create that setup and approach, especially against the lower placed clubs.
Posted by: rancido, January 18, 2015, 11:44am; Reply: 75
Quoted from moosey_club

To be fair when The Dynamic Duo ( Scott & Hurst ) first came here they said they would try this but to my knowledge they never did.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 12:27am