Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ched Evans saga.........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 355 Guests

Ched Evans saga.........

This thread currently has 16,741 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
January 8, 2015, 4:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from ginnywings

Oh! that's ok then.

I presume she was also incapable of saying yes or no to him getting someone to film the act.

I find it really worrying how many people seem to think that even if he did it it wasn't particularly serious (not as bad as Hughes keeps being trotted out). He is a convicted rapist whatever people think and the whole 'asking for it' line of argument is just revolting. As has been pointed out, he hasn't served his sentence yet either.

I'll pose one for those who think we should sign him. We sign him, he scores the winner in the play off final at Wembley and you go crazy, singing his name etc Would that not make you feel uncomfortable? What about those with daughters? If your daughter asked 'Why do you like that rapist so much?' - what would you tell her?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 135
ginnywings
January 8, 2015, 4:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MrsMariner

I wasn't taking any sides I did add that it didn't excuse what he had done

Fair do's. Perhaps a little unfair of me not to highlight the whole sentence.

Touchy subject.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 135
mariner91
January 8, 2015, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I find it really worrying how many people seem to think that even if he did it it wasn't particularly serious (not as bad as Hughes keeps being trotted out). He is a convicted rapist whatever people think and the whole 'asking for it' line of argument is just revolting. As has been pointed out, he hasn't served his sentence yet either.

I'll pose one for those who think we should sign him. We sign him, he scores the winner in the play off final at Wembley and you go crazy, singing his name etc Would that not make you feel uncomfortable? What about those with daughters? If your daughter asked 'Why do you like that rapist so much?' - what would you tell her?

I've not seen the asking for it argument recently on here though I have seen it once or twice and it is a horrible way to look at things.

Personally I don't think we should sign him because of all the media hype and this club/town doesn't need any more negative attention at the minute. But what I would say is you can cheer a goal scored by a convicted criminal without liking the player. It's his achievement that you like, not the person he is. Liam Hearn served time for assault yet I still cheered every time he scored (and I did like him because he obviously showed remorse and had made the most of his talent following his prison stretch and seemed a decent, honest guy but that's besides the point). That doesn't mean I think it was okay for him to assault his victim just because I cheered the goals he scored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 135
biggles9999
January 8, 2015, 4:58pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from mariner91

I've not seen the asking for it argument recently on here though I have seen it once or twice and it is a horrible way to look at things.

Personally I don't think we should sign him because of all the media hype and this club/town doesn't need any more negative attention at the minute. But what I would say is you can cheer a goal scored by a convicted criminal without liking the player. It's his achievement that you like, not the person he is. Liam Hearn served time for assault yet I still cheered every time he scored (and I did like him because he obviously showed remorse and had made the most of his talent following his prison stretch and seemed a decent, honest guy but that's besides the point). That doesn't mean I think it was okay for him to assault his victim just because I cheered the goals he scored.

The difference between this situation and Liam Hearn was that most generally agreed they would've reacted in the same way if thy were in Hearn's position.

Almost as if it was morally right, if legally wrong. Ched Evans massively falls down on both counts....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 135
mariner91
January 8, 2015, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from biggles9999

The difference between this situation and Liam Hearn was that most generally agreed they would've reacted in the same way if thy were in Hearn's position.

Almost as if it was morally right, if legally wrong. Ched Evans massively falls down on both counts....

I'm not disputing that but it is still illegal to assault someone. Neilson assaulted a taxi driver which I'm sure most of us wouldn't do yet we still cheer every goal he scores.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 135
craigy
January 8, 2015, 11:43pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
Personally I can't see Ched Evans getting a job anywhere in the UK as a footballer or in a shop/office unless his appeal is successful. This means he will most probably sit on his backside doing nothing and claim JSA (that's if he can). Then all those people who signed the petitions to stop him returning to football will then start saying that why is he sat there doing nothing on etc while claiming benefits.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 135
promotion plaice
January 9, 2015, 12:48am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
And............relax
[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/fwjd5i.jpg[/IMG]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 135
Tom13
January 9, 2015, 1:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
One point I would make (which is irrelevant to whether he is or isn't innocent) is that he's not played for 3 years, so it would presumably take him forever to get properly match-fit as well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 135
ginnywings
January 9, 2015, 1:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Tom13
One point I would make (which is irrelevant to whether he is or isn't innocent) is that he's not played for 3 years, so it would presumably take him forever to get properly match-fit as well?

Nah, there's that many footballers in prison, the inter prison football league is a better standard than the Conference.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 135
FishOutOfWater
January 9, 2015, 1:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
I see that Steve Bruce has added his two penn'orth on this now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30742947

Wonder whether Hullberside will be following this up at all or because it concerns the Tigers, they'll let sleeping dogs lie...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 135
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ched Evans saga.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.