Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ched Evans saga.........
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 155 Guests

Ched Evans saga.........

This thread currently has 16,716 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
sam gy
January 8, 2015, 1:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,475
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from geir

Fact is: he has served his time for the crime! So I don`t see any good reasons why he shouldn`t be allowed to continue with his trade. We all have things we are good at - and those are the things that we are most likely to do to earn ourselves a living. In Norway he wouldn`t be allowed to work for the police, in the schools or help-centers for abused women. Otherwise - I see no problem with him working as a footballer. I guess he would regret it if he got an urge to try to rape a footballer in the shower.
The alternative is for people to have him go unemployed and be paid by the social services. Do you really prefer to pay for his living through your taxes?

I would like to change the quote a little - imagine that he was a plumber: "Employing Evans sends a deeply flawed message. It declares that as long as you are good with your hands you are untouchable, that being good at plumbing gives you an automatic right to be a plumber."

The only reason why this is a discussion at all is because he is a "famous person" - this would be no problem if he was a plumber. He didn`t get a life-sentence and society have punished him for what the justice system thought that he did. If people think that is unfair - you should lengthen the time that has to be served for that particular crime and not continue the punishment outside of the prison walls.

And that is exactly why Grimsby Town should employ him if he wanted to come here!

Plumbers aren't role models, football players are.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 135
FishOutOfWater
January 8, 2015, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,568
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from sam gy
People who would rather a football team they support get promoted at any cost, need to take a long hard look at themselves.

As a male, I cannot and wouldn't even try and speak on behalf of the female gender, but, like many people, I have female relatives. The issue of rape needs to be taken way more seriously than it is....any team taking him on is bad enough for me, but what kind of a message would it be projecting onto our younger, local males? I don't care if he's done his time or not, the thought of my sisters/nieces, etc, growing up in a town where a couple of thousand people celebrate a convicted rapist is one I do not wish to entertain. Ever.

I guess the fact that he has been convicted sways opinion against him but given his association with Clayton McDonald who Town fans took to, especially after his winning goal against Scunny, I get why some here would be prepared to give him a "second chance" with us

Given that Terrell Forbes also represented the Mariners   -   http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4041953.stm - there's an argument that we as a club (both the management and the fans) have very dubious morals sometimes when it suits

Opinions are certainly split on this one - any other jury and maybe Evans might have walked away as a free man and this matter might have been consigned to history but this one is going to be in the public domain for quite some time if Evans is seriously considering trying to get back in to his former profession

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 135
ginnywings
January 8, 2015, 1:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
He is not a free man and has not served his sentence. He is out on license. He served 2.5 years of a 5 year prison sentence and as such will spend the next 2.5 years being closely monitored.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, the fact is he could still be in prison, so he isn't really being denied a right to work is he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 135
gtfc82
January 8, 2015, 1:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Interesting to hear that one of the reasons Oldham ended their interest was because of their staff receiving death threats!
Did those people think that sending death threats to children was taking the moral high ground?!!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 135
geir
January 8, 2015, 1:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from sam gy

Plumbers aren't role models, football players are.

Yes - it may very well be so. As many famous people are for some. But to continue your reasoning will be difficult. What kind of crimes should role models be allowed to make? When is the crime so serious that you can`t be allowed to continue to work within your profession? Many young people have musicians as role models. Many musicians do illegal drugs and have been arrested for it. Should we burn their records and ban them from recording studios and music stores? Several role models within all trades have been arrested for drunk-driving - a possibly serious crime that could end with the death of innocent people. There are a whole lot of movies your kids can`t be allowed to see as they are full of law-breaking offenders. Should we tell them to pack it in for good? And so on, and so on.... why should the rules be different for footballers?

Just saying...

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 135
fleabag1970
January 8, 2015, 1:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
because RAPE is a serious crime and he only served half hi time which is an insult to the Girl he Raped ........................and lets face no one is hardly worried about her well being are they . The poor girl must be going through Hell !

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 135
Jaws
January 8, 2015, 1:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
We sometimes forget there are more important things in life than football, and morals should be one of them.

People guilty of crimes like this are generally suffering the consequences for the rest of their life. Just because a bloke has a bit of skill at kicking a bag of air doesn't mean he should be an exception to the rule.

Why should people live their life respecting women, and generally living law-abiding lifestyles to then pay this bloke a disproportionate wage and chant his name and how good he is.

If the bloke signed for us and slotted 3 past Barnet in the first ten minutes, I really wouldn't know what to make of it.

He's tarnished, if he is actually innocent he should focus on his appeal before trying to get back playing again.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 135
MeanwoodMariner
January 8, 2015, 1:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from fleabag1970
because RAPE is a serious crime and he only served half hi time which is an insult to the Girl he Raped ........................and lets face no one is hardly worried about her well being are they . The poor girl must be going through Hell !

But that's a judicial issue. If the sentences handed out to rapists are not severe enough then it's a far bigger issue than Ched Evans. Our courts determined that 2.5 years in prison was an appropriate sentence for his crime. He didn't get away with it. He's been tried, convicted and punished already.

This role model argument is a complete red herring. How many 14 year old boys are thinking "Well if Ched Evans can return to lower league football several years after being convicted of rape then I think I will go out and rape someone"?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 135
oldun
January 8, 2015, 1:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
This is a difficult moral issue which clearly divides opinion and as such there is too much "baggage" linked with signing the guy and the hassle is not worth it. As a player he will be in the public eye and the press spotlight. Perhaps he should have thought about the effect on his career and the woman in question on that fateful night. As a former professional footballer recently told me. young footballers do not need to rape women to have a sexual relationship with someone. I hear the other side of the argument about doing the time, but he hasn't yet, he is only out of prison on licence having served half the time, he has shown no remorse either. He needs to adopt a low profile for at least another 2.5 years, which he should use to retrain in another career. Maybe he could serve society by doing something which might prevent other young men committing a similar offence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 135
BIGChris
January 8, 2015, 1:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from sam gy
t, like many people, I have female relatives.

This did make me smile
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 135
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ched Evans saga.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.