Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ched Evans saga.........
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 263 Guests

Ched Evans saga.........

This thread currently has 16,678 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 8, 2015, 2:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

But that's a judicial issue. If the sentences handed out to rapists are not severe enough then it's a far bigger issue than Ched Evans. Our courts determined that 2.5 years in prison was an appropriate sentence for his crime. He didn't get away with it. He's been tried, convicted and punished already.

This role model argument is a complete red herring. How many 14 year old boys are thinking "Well if Ched Evans can return to lower league football several years after being convicted of rape then I think I will go out and rape someone"?

It's 5 years and is still an active sentence. He may be out of prison but his sentence is still being served. He could go back to prison at any time without a trial.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 135
January 8, 2015, 2:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from BIGChris

This did make me smile

Hehe!!
Reply: 31 - 135
fleabag1970
January 8, 2015, 2:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
[quote=186]

. He didn't get away with it. He's been tried, convicted and punished already.

I never said he got away with it did I .............................. I just think he should have served the full 5 IMO ................... Also I was more concerned about his poor Victim who know one seems to give a toss about !

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 135
mike_d
January 8, 2015, 2:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +383
Gold Stars: 4
It's also worth noting that the reason he's shown no remorse is because he (rightly or wrongly) believes he did not do this - there is an investigation underway. II think he was incredibly stupid to think that having sex with someone who is _unable to say no_ was something acceptable.

So unlike Hughes who has been sickening with his displays and no showing of remorse, there is a logic to Evans's "lack of remorse" - how many of you would apologise for something you didn't think you did?

I'd wait and see until the results of the investigation and then either condemn him rightly or not.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 135
fleabag1970
January 8, 2015, 2:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Still Guilty

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 135
Jarmo.Is.God
January 8, 2015, 2:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Fenty and co wont win on this one !

i personally would sign him, but it can work 2 ways.

Sign him, get promoted, 6 months down the line when its gone quiet, someone might spend money on him.

or we could sign him, Pearson, Mckeown, Magnay, Disley not like it and all demand to leave...

Whilst it looks like we wont sign him, i am not bothered either way.

do the crime, do the time, and he has
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 135
mariner91
January 8, 2015, 2:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from sam gy

Plumbers aren't role models, football players are.

I don't get this argument, I really don't. I saw an article yesterday claiming that young men may be influenced by the actions of a footballer. Well I'm 23, so I guess you would class me as a young man. I can categorically state that I have never been influenced by how footballer's act away from a football pitch, even as a child. I would idolise them in terms of their ability and how they play and would sometimes try to copy that but away from the pitch I couldn't care less. I realise that I am only speaking for myself however, as far as I'm aware there have been no copycat drunken car accidents by Notts County, Oldham or FGR fans since Hughes has played for these teams. I also haven't heard of any Liverpool or Chelsea fans copying Glen Johnson's toilet seat stealing antics. I would be extremely surprised if Ched Evans playing for a particular team meant young people who liked him as a player suddenly believed that his crime is acceptable.

This isn't to take away from the fact that his actions were abhorrent, the actions of people claiming to support him are criminal and disgusting as well. However, he has served the time deemed appropriate for his actions. Whether you agree that the length of time served is appropriate (personally I think rape should get much longer sentences) is immaterial; the law of the land has stated that he has now paid for his crimes. The argument about whether he'd be allowed to be a policeman is also irrelevant. To be a policeman you need a DBS check which he obviously wouldn't pass. And I agree with this, of course there are certain professions that you wouldn't let a convicted rapist anywhere near and rightly so. However, a professional footballer is not one of these. So what we have now is effectively mob rule. The laws of the land do not prohibit him from becoming a footballer again but the baying masses who do not want him to have a job that they believe is desirable are preventing him from doing so. This goes against the justice system employed in this country which follows the order of crime, punishment, rehabilitation. If he is not rehabilitated he is no good to anyone. At least if he plays football again, he will pay taxes and be working, he will contribute taxes instead of taking away benefits. People who are rehabilitated back into society are also less likely to re-offend.

The argument that I saw suggesting that allowing him to play again suggests being talented makes you "untouchable" is also a non starter. He isn't untouchable as he has been punished. He hasn't helped himself with his perceived arrogance since his release which I imagine has made his plight more difficult. Even his apology this afternoon, which seems a little contrived given the circumstances and timing, will not make him a likeable figure. He should have apologised for the ordeal his actions have caused (and hopefully meant it) immediately on release but that ship has sailed. But you don't have to like him and personal opinions on the man himself shouldn't obscure the public's attitude to allowing him to return to his previous profession and being rehabilitated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 135
MeanwoodMariner
January 8, 2015, 2:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Perfectly put Mariner91
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 135
Trawler
January 8, 2015, 2:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

or we could sign him, Pearson, Mckeown, Magnay, Disley not like it and all demand to leave...

Whilst it looks like we wont sign him, i am not bothered either way.

Not to mention the sponsors.  Do you reckon Youngs would stick around and risk a feminist group organising a boycott Youngs products campaign. We wouldn't see them for dust.

It's definite no from me.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 135
Jarmo.Is.God
January 8, 2015, 2:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from mariner91

I don't get this argument, I really don't. I saw an article yesterday claiming that young men may be influenced by the actions of a footballer. Well I'm 23, so I guess you would class me as a young man. I can categorically state that I have never been influenced by how footballer's act away from a football pitch, even as a child. I would idolise them in terms of their ability and how they play and would sometimes try to copy that but away from the pitch I couldn't care less. I realise that I am only speaking for myself however, as far as I'm aware there have been no copycat drunken car accidents by Notts County, Oldham or FGR fans since Hughes has played for these teams. I also haven't heard of any Liverpool or Chelsea fans copying Glen Johnson's toilet seat stealing antics. I would be extremely surprised if Ched Evans playing for a particular team meant young people who liked him as a player suddenly believed that his crime is acceptable.

This isn't to take away from the fact that his actions were abhorrent, the actions of people claiming to support him are criminal and disgusting as well. However, he has served the time deemed appropriate for his actions. Whether you agree that the length of time served is appropriate (personally I think rape should get much longer sentences) is immaterial; the law of the land has stated that he has now paid for his crimes. The argument about whether he'd be allowed to be a policeman is also irrelevant. To be a policeman you need a DBS check which he obviously wouldn't pass. And I agree with this, of course there are certain professions that you wouldn't let a convicted rapist anywhere near and rightly so. However, a professional footballer is not one of these. So what we have now is effectively mob rule. The laws of the land do not prohibit him from becoming a footballer again but the baying masses who do not want him to have a job that they believe is desirable are preventing him from doing so. This goes against the justice system employed in this country which follows the order of crime, punishment, rehabilitation. If he is not rehabilitated he is no good to anyone. At least if he plays football again, he will pay taxes and be working, he will contribute taxes instead of taking away benefits. People who are rehabilitated back into society are also less likely to re-offend.

The argument that I saw suggesting that allowing him to play again suggests being talented makes you "untouchable" is also a non starter. He isn't untouchable as he has been punished. He hasn't helped himself with his perceived arrogance since his release which I imagine has made his plight more difficult. Even his apology this afternoon, which seems a little contrived given the circumstances and timing, will not make him a likeable figure. He should have apologised for the ordeal his actions have caused (and hopefully meant it) immediately on release but that ship has sailed. But you don't have to like him and personal opinions on the man himself shouldn't obscure the public's attitude to allowing him to return to his previous profession and being rehabilitated.

Good Post,

but on the Hughes and Johnson, what about Suarez ?

Suarez has bitten 3? people during a footballing match, he has racially abused a player during a match, yet it is acceptable for him to sign for the biggest club in the world ?

whilst i understand what Suarez did isn't as bad as Evans, Suarez did his live on television on the pitch in front of thousands of kids !!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 135
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ched Evans saga.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.