barralad
September 28, 2014, 9:50am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 120797

At least you admit you've no self control.

This comment is absolutely hilarious in so many ways.......

If Carlsberg did message boards.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 100
chaos33
September 28, 2014, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Absolutely it is. Isn't irony a beautiful thing.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 100
mariner2000
September 28, 2014, 9:55am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Was just wondering where all the anti-hurst and anti-Fenty posters are after 7 points out of possible 9?! I am sure they will be back when we slip up again calling for Hursts head!! The fishy is such a better place at present!!

There's only one thing that will now change my mind and that is promotion.  Performances are still not where they should be.  But yet again we'll sit and accept him blaming injuries etc., nothing to do with poor tactics.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 32 - 100
chaos33
September 28, 2014, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from barralad

Sorry to hear you've been unwell mate. Hope its been nothing too serious. The way I see it is that the two camps have become entrenched in their views and as such opinion is unlikely to be swayed. Personally I wouldn't have started a thread such as this because it is, to be frank, pointless. The team put forward Hurst's case very well yesterday and, at the end of the day, that is what really matters-not the opinions of a bunch of fans on both sides of the debate. I made the point a while back that us individuals who frequent this message board can be guilty of believing that what we actually say is of huge importance when in truth we form only a very small minority of the regular fan base and the majority have no idea that this debate is ongoing. The respect I have for posters on here comes from what they say-not which camp they fall into in this particular debate. I guess I'll never be able to square the circle in my own mind regarding people having very strong opinions who don't actually witness the events they are talking about first hand. Does that make their opinions invalid? I guess not but try getting a conviction in court based on the evidence of witnesses who weren't present when the offence took place!

I agree mate, especially the first half of this. It was my very point. Indeed the team did 'put forward Hurst's case' very well yesterday. I thought everyone would be pleased about that regardless of the wider views they might hold.
Personally I'm chuffed with the consecutive victories and the league position looks a bit healthier.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 100
barralad
September 28, 2014, 10:04am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from chaos33

I agree mate, especially the first half of this. It was my very point. Indeed the team did 'put forward Hurst's case' very well yesterday. I thought everyone would be pleased about that regardless of the wider views they might hold.
Personally I'm chuffed with the consecutive victories and the league position looks a bit healthier.

May I refer m'learned friend to Denni's post on the "Just Back" thread?  

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 100
barralad
September 28, 2014, 10:07am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from mariner2000

There's only one thing that will now change my mind and that is promotion.  Performances are still not where they should be.  But yet again we'll sit and accept him blaming injuries etc., nothing to do with poor tactics.

Chaos!!!!! Here's another unhappy chappie....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 100
ginnywings
September 28, 2014, 10:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 120797

Fair enough we've all got our opinions but any fan of any manager in the BSP could say the same and most probably be proved right.

If you asked me to bet my life on whether Hurst is gonna take us up this season (odds 9/2), I'd guess no too.
But that's not what "supporting" is about is it ?
I don't mean blind faith, just saying it's always easier to doubt things than to trust them. (especially as a Town fan !).

Even if Mourinho came in to BP next season on the same budget, pretty sure I could still look at oddchecker pre-season and say
"Chances are we won't win the league."

I know my duties as a supporter. I still attend games (yesterday aside) and am still of the opinion that we could and should be doing better.

I still truly hope that Hurst proves me wrong and will be the first to hold up my hands if he does.

Being critical of the manager and still supporting the team isn't mutually exclusive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 100
Maringer
September 28, 2014, 10:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from ginnywings

The only negativity i can see is that directed at the Hurst doubters by those of you who take an opposite view.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more strongly with this statement.

There are literally dozens of threads in which some posters endlessly attempt to run the team and Hurst down - how about the many ridiculous threads about Hurst's press statements and interviews in which utterly banal comments are accused of showing a lack of ambition/ability/whatever?

For example, this week there has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the Jolley thread. The fact we didn't sign a player who would almost certainly never come here is seen by some as a lack of ambition/contacts/whatever. This is just grasping for another stick with which to beat the disliked manager when common sense indicates that Jolley was never going to come here in preference to a move to FGR just down the road from his current club.

Similarly, Hurst's comments that he was looking for a targetman type of player was taken by some as an admission that he didn't want a striker who could score goals. You'd think that "targetman" and "score goals" were mutually exclusive abilities, from some of the comments you see on this board.

I'm not a fan of the "yah boo sucks" posts such as the one which began this thread, but let's not try to pretend that a there aren't some posters on this board will never say anything kind about Hurst (and some of his players) as long as they have a hole in their bottom.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 100
Marinerz93
September 28, 2014, 10:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Like I stated in another post, happy with the win, 3 points closer to 5th place and 9 points off top spot.  

Threads like this; like others have said; open up the same old frustrations.  I don't believe there are as many entrenched in the Hurst out camp the excrement stirrers think there is.

A handful of fans being negative was far out weighted by those fans who desperately wanted us to stay in the football league.  Anyone who claims that a handful of negative comments on a non league message board is going to stop us getting promotion needs to go and talk too the hundreds that have already stopped going.

To get more people on Hursts side he needs to deliver consistency and a run that puts us closer to the top spot.

If you are happy that we get in to the play off''s but ultimately aren't strong enough to gain promotion and are happy with that; are you more of a supporter than those who will only settle for promotion to get out of non league; some seem to think so.

We will see were we are come the business end of the season, as someone who doesn't think Hurst is the man it doesn't stop me from desperately hoping that he proves me wrong.

I also thought that 80's claimed he was going to stop over analysing and dissecting every post he disagrees with.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 100
ginnywings
September 28, 2014, 10:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer

I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more strongly with this statement.

There are literally dozens of threads in which some posters endlessly attempt to run the team and Hurst down - how about the many ridiculous threads about Hurst's press statements and interviews in which utterly banal comments are accused of showing a lack of ambition/ability/whatever?

For example, this week there has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the Jolley thread. The fact we didn't sign a player who would almost certainly never come here is seen by some as a lack of ambition/contacts/whatever. This is just grasping for another stick with which to beat the disliked manager when common sense indicates that Jolley was never going to come here in preference to a move to FGR just down the road from his current club.

Similarly, Hurst's comments that he was looking for a targetman type of player was taken by some as an admission that he didn't want a striker who could score goals. You'd think that "targetman" and "score goals" were mutually exclusive abilities, from some of the comments you see on this board.

I'm not a fan of the "yah boo sucks" posts such as the one which began this thread, but let's not try to pretend that a there aren't some posters on this board will never say anything kind about Hurst (and some of his players) as long as they have a hole in their bottom.

Don't be sorry. It's a message board and you have your right to an opinion, as do i.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawling back into woodwork

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.