This thread currently has 9,600 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
September 28, 2014, 6:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Problem is to many so forum experts find a target to snipe at.  They are happy telling Fenty to spend money on some mercurial manager that will win every match pay off unfinished contracts ect. Where is Fenty suppose to get all this money from???  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 100
September 28, 2014, 6:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew
The problem is Rob, I don't think tinkering with selections and playing to stop teams playing rather than playing to your own strengths is increasing those so called odds.

The problem is lew, it didn't do any harm yesterday when Hurst tinkered from 4-5-1 at Kiddy to bring in Oates and play 4-4-2.
Nor when he "tinkered" and brought in Neilson and Pittman at Gateshead to win 6-1
Nor when he "tinkered" from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 v Alfreton to win 7-0 after.
Nor when he "tinkered" (when LJL was suspended and Boyce returned see Hurst's fault...) to beat Welling 2-0.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion though.

But why don't you just say it "I don't want LJL to start on Tuesday !"
Go on, you can do it !

Quoted from pontoonlew
Though after 46 games my opinion could well be proven wrong

Don't need 46 games, it's wrong now !

But if we don't win the league I'm sure you'll try to take all the credit for picking that 1/10 shot.
Suppose it would prove those so called "massive managerial inconsistencies" MUST be true.

I remember it was the same "I knew Hurst wouldn't do it !" story in last years playoffs with you too.
With your remarkable prediction record I'm only suprised you're not sunning yourself in the Carribean by now.  
Reply: 61 - 100
arryarryarry
September 28, 2014, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Was just wondering where all the anti-hurst and anti-Fenty posters are after 7 points out of possible 9?! I am sure they will be back when we slip up again calling for Hursts head!! The fishy is such a better place at present!!

Just got back, you are quite clearly a complete cockend.

Are you 80s in disguise?

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 100
arryarryarry
September 28, 2014, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Vance Warner

Maybe people have read all the negative remarks on the fishy and decided not to bother. This is why people who are overly negative are more of a risk to our season than those who are overly positive. That is why people get exasperated with some posters on here and can't resist a little gloat when we win a game.

Tell me you are having a laugh, are you seriously suggesting some fans have stopped going because of some comments on here, it's got nothing to do with some of the poor results and performances then.

Private Message
Reply: 63 - 100
Marinerz93
September 28, 2014, 6:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Problem is to many so forum experts find a target to snipe at.  They are happy telling Fenty to spend money on some mercurial manager that will win every match pay off unfinished contracts ect. Where is Fenty suppose to get all this money from???  

Oh dear....a Fenty tangent, lets see where this one goes  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 100
September 28, 2014, 7:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What makes you think you know how self-reflective other people you don't know or probably haven't met are? Do you have special powers?

No, just able to read them repeatedly complaining.

Same old ridiculous arguments? Soul-searching? I think you need to read Matthew 7:5 my friend.

You mean....
"Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote of thy brother eye."

Well if you ask me, even JC would end up banging his head against a brick wall trying to convince some people on here...

"Plenty" of evidence of us bouncing back after a defeat? Well if that's true it just shows we've had plenty of defeats!

We must have been damn lucky to reach the playoffs in successive years then.  
Obviously this season has been a slowish start.
Reply: 65 - 100
pontoonlew
September 28, 2014, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from 120797

The problem is lew, it didn't do any harm yesterday when Hurst tinkered from 4-5-1 at Kiddy to bring in Oates and play 4-4-2.
Nor when he "tinkered" and brought in Neilson and Pittman at Gateshead to win 6-1
Nor when he "tinkered" from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 v Alfreton to win 7-0 after.
Nor when he "tinkered" (when LJL was suspended and Boyce returned see Hurst's fault...) to beat Welling 2-0.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion though.

But why don't you just say it "I don't want LJL to start on Tuesday !"
Go on, you can do it !

Don't need 46 games, it's wrong now !

But if we don't win the league I'm sure you'll try to take all the credit for picking that 1/10 shot.
Suppose it would prove those so called "massive managerial inconsistencies" MUST be true.

I remember it was the same "I knew Hurst wouldn't do it !" story in last years playoffs with you too.
With your remarkable prediction record I'm only suprised you're not sunning yourself in the Carribean by now.  

80's do you ever stop talking shite? Like, there is some rubbish posted on here but you are truely unbearable to even have a debate with.

Why is mine or your opinion wrong on Hurst when we're in September?  Why would I 'take credit' in us not winning the league? You do realise I support this side just the same as you do, I have an opinion different to yours, please just get over that for one second.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 100
September 28, 2014, 7:54pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew
80's do you ever stop talking shite? Like, there is some rubbish posted on here but you are truely unbearable to even have a debate with.

Not stopping you debating, I suggest you take some responsibility.

Quoted from pontoonlew
Why is mine or your opinion wrong on Hurst when we're in September?

I was referring to your "massive managerial inconsistencies" comment.
So far it's mistaken IMO, who knows what will happen in the future.

Quoted from pontoonlew
Why would I 'take credit' in us not winning the league?

I desperately hope it never come to that !
But if it does, I bet you'll be saying you were right all along about Hurst like it's some sort of creditable prediction.
To be fair it's not just you by any means.
The line "I really want Hurst to do well but I don't think he will" is bounded about like wildfire.

I'd really LOVE to know the name of a manager who fans think definitely WILL take Town up.
Any ideas ?

Quoted from pontoonlew
I have an opinion different to yours, please just get over that for one second.

I've no problem at all.
Although why I bother debating with you god knows, I must be bonkers.
Reply: 67 - 100
pontoonlew
September 28, 2014, 8:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Why is it wrong to say there have been inconsistencies? We currently sit 10th in the league after a very inconsistent start. We're terrible one week and world beaters the next, the manager has to take some hit for that. He clearly has built a good squad and has them playing some cracking stuff at times but when we lose games it's always as though you could see it coming when you saw the squad selection. I do hope he does well, of course I do? Because if he doesn't then surely that's detriment to the club, something not one person on this board wants (despite what some people who over hype 'negative' comments think)

You bet i'll be saying I was right all along? If that's the case then why wasn't I saying that after the play-off games which me and many many others saw coming for months in advance. We sat and got slated on this board for voicing concerns over what was going on during games. The positives are that in the games we've won we've been a lot better than last season, something Hurst can again take credit for. But we've also been massively inconsistent, much more than last year, something he has to take the blame for. You can't expect somebody to take the plaudits when it goes well but hide behind something else when it doesn't.

The over-riding fact is that we all want the best for this football club. It just seems like any so called 'negative' view on this board is deemed unacceptable, no matter how constructive. The opening post of this thread sums it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 100
barralad
September 28, 2014, 9:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from pontoonlew
Why is it wrong to say there have been inconsistencies? We currently sit 10th in the league after a very inconsistent start. We're terrible one week and world beaters the next, the manager has to take some hit for that. He clearly has built a good squad and has them playing some cracking stuff at times but when we lose games it's always as though you could see it coming when you saw the squad selection. I do hope he does well, of course I do? Because if he doesn't then surely that's detriment to the club, something not one person on this board wants (despite what some people who over hype 'negative' comments think)

You bet i'll be saying I was right all along? If that's the case then why wasn't I saying that after the play-off games which me and many many others saw coming for months in advance. We sat and got slated on this board for voicing concerns over what was going on during games. The positives are that in the games we've won we've been a lot better than last season, something Hurst can again take credit for. But we've also been massively inconsistent, much more than last year, something he has to take the blame for. You can't expect somebody to take the plaudits when it goes well but hide behind something else when it doesn't.

The over-riding fact is that we all want the best for this football club. It just seems like any so called 'negative' view on this board is deemed unacceptable, no matter how constructive. The opening post of this thread sums it up.

Let's get the easy bit out of the way....I agree 100% with you about the O.P. I also agree to an extent about the inconsistency. I would ask you to consider however that inconsistency can have many causes. I have no desire to go into an 80's length explanation of what I mean but briefly I firmly believe that one of the reasons has been the injury situation and the need to play (some) players out of their natural positions. I do recognise that sometimes players have been moved from their possible best position to accommodate others. This isn't the Premiership and we don't have players of equal ability for every position sat warming the bench. Other than that there is the Boyce situation. As a manager you would expect Hurst to have some sort of plan B for the eventual return of Boyce to his parent club but for him to be called back within a day or so of having his loan extended must have caused a few headaches. No doubt some of those who think Hurst should no longer be the manager of GTFC will have a totally different view to that but....
The post I've quoted is quite possibly the most balanced post I've read from you during this whole debate. It's a great pity that because you didn't agree with 80's explanation that you accused him of talking "shite". In my view it was probably the best critique I've read on the whole "tinkering" aspect of Hurst's management (if a little wordy!!) All I would say is that as the man whose living depends on GTFCs results I'd expect him to analyse all aspects of the teams performance and be aware of the strengths of Town's opponents when deciding what team to put out. As far as I'm aware there is no concrete evidence (but plenty of opinion) that he has fallen down in those areas.
I fundamentally disagree with most of what the anti-Hurst people write but prefer to answer their points with reasoned argument rather than resorting to abuse. You are not the only person entitled to an opinion and posts on both sides of the debate will quite naturally in my view trigger responses from people who don't agree. That, in a nutshell is what a message/discussion board is all about. Now, unfortunately IMO there are a lot of people on both sides who have weakened the debate by their seemingly overwhelming desire to be seen as "right" hence this thread and comments on other threads from people who appear to be unable to celebrate a 3-0 win because it puts their opinion into some doubt. It may not come from you but if Town do not get promoted this season the "I told You So" thread will be the biggest in living memory. If we do get promoted then the opposite thread will push it close!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawling back into woodwork

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.