11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
ackomariner
September 28, 2014, 9:16pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
I think the mods should close this thread down tbh, doing no good whatsoever IMO

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 100
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 28, 2014, 9:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,627
Gold Stars: 66
Football will always createdebate and how we measure success varies also. Some fans see the play offs as a successful season others believe only promotion jusifies the use of that particular objective.

In reality once a team fails to meet whatever the respective fans see as success serious debate kicks in and we look deeper at tactics, team selections, entertainment value etc. the second half of the last two seasons has provided very poor quality of football with little in the line of entertainment. We go along and endure this on the premis that if we get promoted the ends justify the means. Fail and we feel cheated because we have sat through endless crap games, with little or no atmosphere, and will still be playing in BSP for another season.

In the close season some of us want change, but failing that a change of playing style. The signings, with the absence of a striker, give us hope but after three games nothing has changed, or has it, we are decimated by injuries. Improved results, the start of a new era or false dawn, defeats in derby game and next home game suggest the latter, but fans remain divided.

80's suggests those of us who are not Hurst enthusiasts are not genuine when we say we hope he proves us wrong, why ? Time will tell if PH has what it takes but what we want as a minimum is a more entertaining approach then that provided in previous seasons. There are signs that a new approach is on the cards but tinkering and injuries mean its stop start and the jury is still out. I have a season ticket but it does not get used every game because I have gone home too many times totally fed up with what I have seen. Hopefully Tuesday will rekindle enthusiasm but if not I might post some negative views which will not be shared whilst at BP where my support will be full.

Do not see why holding different views for different reasons causes so much conjecture
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 100
kingster72
September 28, 2014, 9:35pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
I'm not back in the woodwork, I'm still not convinced Hurst has the ability to take us up.  We are 9 points adrift after 12 games, that is not a good a start, the team with the budget we have, should not be so inconsistent & be more in touch.  To draw and lose to part-time teams as regularly as we do, is unacceptable.  
Fenty will never have my respect, he has ruined my club, has presided over the worst ever decade in the clubs history and yet people still want to give him credit.  Why, why, why?  So many broken promises and leading fans up the garden path, I don't trust a word he speaks, nor do I ever trust him to make right, what he has wronged at GTFC.  
So for me, both PH & JF need to go before we make progress, but in the short term Hurst has to go, 2 wins do not gloss over his failings and anyone who thinks overwise, because we are unbeaten in 3, is in cuckoo-land!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 100
Maringer
September 28, 2014, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,391
Gold Stars: 184
Actually, how often have we been terrible this season?

We were poor in the first half against Torquay but much better in the second until we were screwed by injuries. No chance after that. We were disappointing in the games against Nuneaton and Dover, albeit with a badly weakened attack and didn't do much against Bristol Rovers but we were not terrible in any of those games. The two away games we lost narrowly were down to a red card against Aldershot and a combination of missed chances and poor defending against Lincoln. We weren't terrible in either of those games either.

The past 3 games? 7 points won with a team down to the bare bones in attack (and even less than the bare bones in the creditable draw against Halifax).

All in all, terrible in perhaps one half of one game so far this season. A little disappointing in a number of others.

To be fair, I wouldn't say we've ever looked like world beaters either this season. The result against Gateshead was excellent but, as has been pointed out, the scoreline could easily have been 6-5. Alfreton looked very poor indeed though we finished our chances well.

I think we are undoubtedly a better team than last season and I'm disappointed we don't have at least a couple more wins so far, but you would have to say that we've been unlucky with injuries - two separate injury crises which have put us down to the bare bones and undoubtedly have cost us some points.

This doesn't detract from the fact that we are light up front and this is Hurst's responsibility, but things really aren't as bad as some on here seem to think.

I'm surprised how much angst some people seem to have when we're not disastrously placed, are on a good run of form at present and are beginning to get some of the injured players back fit. Let's hope the good run continues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 100
GrimRob
September 28, 2014, 9:50pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ackomariner
I think the mods should close this thread down tbh, doing no good whatsoever IMO

How terrible, a thread about Grimsby Town FC on a forum about Grimsby Town FC. I agree we all should be happy right this minute but there'd be nothing to discuss then!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 74 - 100
ackomariner
September 28, 2014, 10:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GrimRob

How terrible, a thread about Grimsby Town FC on a forum about Grimsby Town FC. I agree we all should be happy right this minute but there'd be nothing to discuss then!

Stoking up the shite too then. Good lad rob

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 100
Abdul19
September 28, 2014, 10:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,512
Gold Stars: 215
It's a standard thread on a messageboard. I don't think it's going to have any good or bad impact on a football club.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 100
September 28, 2014, 10:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
The post I've quoted is quite possibly the most balanced post I've read from you during this whole debate.

Was gonna say the same !  

Quoted from barralad
It's a great pity that because you didn't agree with 80's explanation that you accused him of talking "shite".

Lol no problem, I've been called worse tonight  

Tbh I've no problem with fans saying we should perhaps have got more out of some games where we STILL played well.
Lincoln (poor defending), Aldershot (on top til LJL sent off), Torquay I missed (injuries?), early 0-0's players missed chances.
Does e.g. Brown take no responsibility for missing from a yard out ?
Or is that all Hurst's fault ?

But what I still can't understand lew is how you equate FORCED team changes (and tbf they're not always we've disagreed on Disley) with "tinkering" and blame Hurst for it.

Maybe "not being at full strength" explains most of the "inconsistency" ?
Injuries and "luck" (hardly consistent) have more of an effect on the outcome when you're understrength than winning 6-0 and 7-1.

Simply put the general pattern so far has been
injuries (bad luck),..... near full strength, .....injuries.....-> players returning

Does this partly answer your "inconsistency" gripe lew ?

We're slowly returning to full strength now (Aswad, Pittman, still not back, Arnold & LJL yet to start)
Perhaps we'll gain more "consistency" once we're nearer full strength ?

But even then, football doesn't always go in consistent WWWWWW straight lines.
What are you looking for lew ? An unbeaten run ?

End of the day even if you disagree, no-one can force anyone to answer or say "Oh yes, I see what you mean" or "You've lost me".
Surely you appreciate the point at large ?
Reply: 77 - 100
September 28, 2014, 10:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
80's suggests those of us who are not Hurst enthusiasts are not genuine when we say we hope he proves us wrong, why ?

Is that question addressed to me ?
I'm not saying everyone who is not a Hurst enthusiast isn't genuine at all !
Just some NEVER seem to accept any mitigating circumstances.
Sorry but I really can't believe those who never see the value to any of the many possible reasons/excuses.
Yourself for example accepts "we are decimated by injuries" and "tinkering and injuries mean its stop start" that's great !
You are entirely welcome to still have your view on Hurst.
But all this "I've got a different opinion to you" stonewalling smacks of unnecessary defensiveness.
Some may not believe it but no-one's pointing the finger.
People are merely trying to explain a different perspective to try to ease unnecessary worries when they believe the fingers are being pointed unfairly (see opinion).
Sorry but the idea that e.g. Hurst is "tinkering" (and that's why we lost so it's Hurst's fault) if players get injured and he's forced to change the side is simply ridiculous !
Eventually you start to wonder if for some, it really is a campaign to never agree and just remove Hurst.
Reply: 78 - 100
September 28, 2014, 11:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
The past 3 games? 7 points won with a team down to the bare bones in attack (and even less than the bare bones in the creditable draw against Halifax).

Great post and this point especially, is reason enough to be optimistic.
Or failing that, at least wonder where we might end up...

Quoted from Maringer
Alfreton looked very poor indeed though we finished our chances well.

Still, I thought we played really well, positive signs are there IMO.

Reply: 79 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawling back into woodwork

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.