11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Richard Cranium
September 28, 2014, 10:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: -36
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Was just wondering where all the anti-hurst and anti-Fenty posters are after 7 points out of possible 9?! I am sure they will be back when we slip up again calling for Hursts head!! The fishy is such a better place at present!!
Absolutely 100%. Well said

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 100
Maringer
September 28, 2014, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from ginnywings

Don't be sorry. It's a message board and you have your right to an opinion, as do i.

Don't worry, I'm not at all sorry. Just a figure of speech.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 100
September 28, 2014, 11:57am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

I know my duties as a supporter. I still attend games (yesterday aside) and am still of the opinion that we could and should be doing better.

I still truly hope that Hurst proves me wrong and will be the first to hold up my hands if he does.

Being critical of the manager and still supporting the team isn't mutually exclusive.

Wasn't questioning your "duties" ginny.
Personally I don't see it as being a "right/wrong" exercise and wouldn't expect anyone to feel they need to hold their hands up.

Reply: 42 - 100
September 28, 2014, 12:08pm
Guest User
Quoted from Marinerz93
A handful of fans being negative was far out weighted by those fans who desperately wanted us to stay in the football league.

Interesting !
I'll take your word about "negativity",  I was on the OS !  

Perhaps if Woods wasn't the right man, no amount of positivity was gonna keep us up ?
If so, does that mean positivity is therefore wrong or unhelpful ?
For me there's different shades of positivity, rose tint sunshine and reality yellow.

Perhaps you think it's a repeat "positivity" exercise this time round ?
If so, tbh I see it more simply.
i.e. don't throw the baby out with the bathwater (the baby being the support, the bathwater being Woods !)
I appreciate we've all got our own opinions on Hurst though.
Quoted from Marinerz93
If you are happy that we get in to the play off''s but ultimately aren't strong enough to gain promotion and are happy with that; are you more of a supporter than those who will only settle for promotion to get out of non league; some seem to think so.

Who knows but honestly don't think it's a case of that.
Just that it's hard to GUARANTEE promotion regardless of who may be in charge, such is football.

Perhaps I'm more relaxed about our fall from grace than others though.
One things for sure, I wasn't when we were going down !
Just from my point of view there's only so much frustration you can handle before you hit the reset button.
I sympathize with where fans are coming from though...

I just hope it's not a case of reverse "kick up the bottom" tactics being employed week in week out.
Of course, that's not to say it wouldn't work.
But have to say, I guess it's pushing it and wonder if it could be a lot more productive the other way round.

Quoted from Marinerz93
I also thought that 80's claimed he was going to stop over analysing and dissecting every post he disagrees with.

Maybe you've got a point ! (depending on whether opinions are entrenched or not)

I just think some fans find themselves in a state of unnecessary or over-exagerrated concern.
Truth is I don't want them to be.
Which admittedly may sound rich when we're in the BSP but personally prefer to assess every season on it's own merits.
I'm sure for some it's not only the frustration of this season but others gone by.

Regardless of who's making the points think it would be a shame if opinion or debate ever turned into a 1 way street.
Reply: 43 - 100
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 28, 2014, 12:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner2000

There's only one thing that will now change my mind and that is promotion.  Performances are still not where they should be.  But yet again we'll sit and accept him blaming injuries etc., nothing to do with poor tactics.

Performances that get 3 points without being perfect are acceptable at this stage of the season. Last year we had a number of wins where we were lucky but kept on an unbeaten streak for quite a while. When the luck turned so did the results and eventually we had to struggle into the play offhand hope for the best. This year we want to see performances actually get better during the season, if need be by strengthening the squad as we go along. I do think the manager has learned a bit since last year and maybe he will develop the confidence to let other teams worry about us.

I have voiced doubts about the manager and to be truthful, given the budget he has, I will not feel happy about his abilities unless we are promoted. His failure to sign a good striker sooner is one example. Even yesterday the BBC stats showed us having 23 shots with 10 on target but only 3 goals and a missed penalty. Playoffs is not good enough this time and you need to both create and take chances to get further than the playoffs. All that praise for LJL's cameo can't disguise the fact that he will not be the player to take them.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 100
mariner91
September 28, 2014, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260

Performances that get 3 points without being perfect are acceptable at this stage of the season. Last year we had a number of wins where we were lucky but kept on an unbeaten streak for quite a while. When the luck turned so did the results and eventually we had to struggle into the play offhand hope for the best. This year we want to see performances actually get better during the season, if need be by strengthening the squad as we go along. I do think the manager has learned a bit since last year and maybe he will develop the confidence to let other teams worry about us.

I have voiced doubts about the manager and to be truthful, given the budget he has, I will not feel happy about his abilities unless we are promoted. His failure to sign a good striker sooner is one example. Even yesterday the BBC stats showed us having 23 shots with 10 on target but only 3 goals and a missed penalty. Playoffs is not good enough this time and you need to both create and take chances to get further than the playoffs. All that praise for LJL's cameo can't disguise the fact that he will not be the player to take them.

Why?! It's not as though we have the biggest budget in the division so when there is only one promotion spot available, why would it automatically be a failure?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 100
September 28, 2014, 1:13pm
Guest User

Agree with this, we get three half decent performances and Hurst's turns into the next Jose Mourinho, we are still 10th in the league we are still looking like playoff hopefuls rather than the title contenders the bookies has us down for.

The thing is starting a mammary for tat threads like this will only make you look a twit when the Tinkerman starts getting ideas above his station, when he starts rotating and changing the formation of a winning team.
Reply: 46 - 100
Garth
September 28, 2014, 1:19pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

So agree!  just cut us doubters’ a little slack as we`ve suffered sh1t for years and can`t see the point of star gazing through the wrong end of the telescope

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 100
grimsby pete
September 28, 2014, 1:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Lets look at the facts,

The Fishy is a football forum,

We discuss the love of our lives Grimsby Town,

We are happy when we win and upset when we lose,

Some of us Like Hurst some of us do not,

Some of us like Fenty some of us do not,

Now if we came on here and said the same thing it would be very boring and in the end it would be empty,

I have had a view different points of view with a few on here,

That's fine as long as they do not start name calling,

At the end of the season and we have gained promotion,

Everybody on here will be in agreement for a short while and say,

I knew Hurst would take us up,  

If we fail some will want his head on a stick and some will say he deserves another season,

That's what makes football so interesting,

We can talk about it all the time,

Let the people who do not have your point of view have their say,

As long as you have your say without being abusive the Fishy will last forever,

Long Live The Fishy.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 100
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 28, 2014, 1:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91

Why?! It's not as though we have the biggest budget in the division so when there is only one promotion spot available, why would it automatically be a failure?

Sorry, but if you don't know the answer to that after the all that has happened over the last few years, then nothing I or anyone else can say will convince you.

We would have to agree to differ.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawling back into woodwork

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.