Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Bike to the Bank/Park - Charity Bike Ride
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Bike to the Bank/Park - Charity Bike Ride

This thread currently has 118,725 views. Print
149 Pages Prev ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerian
October 18, 2008, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Same here, I intend to buy a bike as dads work scheme allows me 15% off at Halforeds on cycles

I do go to the gym 2 to 5 days a week and play football badly twice a week

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 1460 - 1487
lincolnsmariner
October 20, 2008, 3:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Press release at 6pm tonight.

Football isnt about life and Death,
It means much more

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110883967688&ref=nf BTTB II

Private Message
Reply: 1461 - 1487
lincolnsmariner
October 20, 2008, 6:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Its only 8 mins late but whos clock watching...
1st press release regarding BTTP

On Monday the 13th October a meeting was set up to discuss the possibility of holding the Bike to the Park event on the 7th of March 2009.

I am pleased to be able to announce to you today that BTTP (Bike to the Park) will happen!

At this meeting a representative from each charity we have chosen to raise money for (with your help) was invited along. As you can see, we are sticking to the  “local people supporting local charities” theme, and therefore are pleased to announce that the line up is:

St Andrews Hospice Grimsby
St Barnabas Hospice Lincoln

Being a football fan themed event we are also pleased to announce the addition of the following organisations that will also be supported:

Grimsby Town Supporters Trust
Lincoln City Supporters trust.

Whilst we are pleased to announce that the event will happen, we will not be asking for riders at this stage, we are working extremely hard together with the trusts and charities to try and get the scheduled 12pm kick off time moved back to 3pm.

We are currently in discussions with the police (Humberside) at this time, and although they are not really showing any support for this event at this time, we will continue to try and get the police's support for this event.
(At this time, the police are happy for the event to go ahead, but will not factor the health and safety of the riders while holding discussions about the kick off time)

We will be holding another meeting in due course to discuss the finer details of the ride and this is when we will be appealing for riders.

Stay tuned for more news on the Bike to the Park event!

Jonathan Spurr
Co-Organiser
BTTB / BTTP

It means much more

Private Message
Reply: 1462 - 1487
Biccys
October 21, 2008, 3:37pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Good enws that there's a "re-match" for the want of a better phrase! Hopefully the rozzers will capitulate and move the daft kick off time to accommodate this as they did for BTTB.

Best of luck!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1463 - 1487
Citymariner
October 21, 2008, 9:35pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +18 / -1
Approval: +27
so we are ignoring the health and safety regardless then...

i thought there were going to be no rash decisions till after the meeting with the police in november?

having read the emails it is clear there is no support regarding this event fro the polcie when there is a Cat A game involved.

I can't stress enough the weather implications at this time of the year and it will not be for the feint hearted. its well and good getting sponsors again etc. and people helping out but when the time comes round and it is dark nights for training and cold miserable weather i think people will think twice about the ride.

i think appealing for riders is not the way to go, i think you are leading yourself down a potentially tricky path - consider the time it took to complete in near perfect conditions last time.

i want the ride to go ahead and if the conditions are right i will ride it, i'm just playing devils advocate - if you research weather warnings etc. from the 8th of march the amount of occurances of extreme weather, cold temps in the last ten years leaves roughly a 80% chance of un-ridable weather. you imagine sleety rain with wind   for 45 miles not matter how much you train can you prepare for that.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1464 - 1487
wrighty88
October 21, 2008, 11:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Get some gonads Josh, A bit of hi Viz kit, a bit of graft makes the ride even more challenging, we would never have had an empire with that kind of apathy. Lets go for it come rain shine or snow even wind, (which I detest). I know I could make it in them thar conditions even if I had to carry the damn bike. lmao.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1465 - 1487
lincolnsmariner
October 22, 2008, 2:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Citymariner
so we are ignoring the health and safety regardless then...

i thought there were going to be no rash decisions till after the meeting with the police in november?

having read the emails it is clear there is no support regarding this event fro the polcie when there is a Cat A game involved.

I can't stress enough the weather implications at this time of the year and it will not be for the feint hearted. its well and good getting sponsors again etc. and people helping out but when the time comes round and it is dark nights for training and cold miserable weather i think people will think twice about the ride.

i think appealing for riders is not the way to go, i think you are leading yourself down a potentially tricky path - consider the time it took to complete in near perfect conditions last time.

i want the ride to go ahead and if the conditions are right i will ride it, i'm just playing devils advocate - if you research weather warnings etc. from the 8th of march the amount of occurances of extreme weather, cold temps in the last ten years leaves roughly a 80% chance of un-ridable weather. you imagine sleety rain with wind   for 45 miles not matter how much you train can you prepare for that.

There is no rash decisions josh, has we discussed at the meeting a press release would go out to say the event would go ahead, there is the difficulties with the police, but after speaking to john fenty last night, i stand by that press release that the event will go ahead. Ive said many atimes health and safety comes first which it will be doing. If there is to many doubts i wont have any problems pulling the plug on it. There will be a meeting in november to discuss everything, and to confirm what/how etc etc

It means much more

Private Message
Reply: 1466 - 1487
BAWC
October 22, 2008, 5:31pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Will Town fans still be doing it this time? I'd imagine getting sponsored for a second time will be much harder and I know I certainly wouldn't donate the same amount second time around (£10). There's only so much you can ask people to donate in less than a year. It was a great achievement first time around but second time around it maybe loses that wow factor. I don't know. Just a thought. Like someone said on the GO - http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=45999&threadid=1950181 - maybe if you had four or five people walking you would raise more than fifteen-twenty people biking?

But again, best of luck to Josh and Jon again with organisation, and hope you raise somewhere near what you raised this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1467 - 1487
Helgy
October 22, 2008, 9:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
From your end it might lose the wow factor but remember there was only 8 Lincoln riders involved, 5 of us lonely souls departed sinny bank to meet up with you and 3 set off at 10.30 am from the park.
This time it's your turn to cycle half way out, while we cycle the whole route.
Gy plod stated that it was not their concern but Lincolnshires .
It is as the Gy riders set off from Gy not Lincoln.
There are from Lincoln this time a lot of people interested .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1468 - 1487
Brazilnut
October 22, 2008, 9:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
just out of curiosity how much did we get given from Lincoln for ticket prices we all paid ......sorry if this has been published before

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1469 - 1487
149 Pages Prev ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Bike to the Bank/Park - Charity Bike Ride

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.