Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 166 Guests

This thread currently has 16,446 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
March 27, 2023, 6:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
The one thing all this does reflect is the absolute lack of maintenance to BP down over the last decade to keep it in tip-top condition.

Firstly the pitch
Last year the Osmond Stand
This year the Main Stand

I wonder what will come out next year?

The sad thing is if this work had been done years ago the cost would have been far less, and today's money could have been spent on the squad.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 164
Yarborough Vaults
March 27, 2023, 7:13am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Thing is, the previous mooted moves to Great Coates and then the Parkway just felt like some kind of money grabs via developers.

But Freemo and Garth Lane could have really revitalised the town. Home and visiting fans would be putting money into the area and they would really help businesses close by, especially pubs which have all gone near BP.

That's the biggest negative of all this, we've got a huge chance to lift the town and the Town at the same time and its being wasted.

Now we're going to spend 350k on WD40 just to stop some decrepit structure from falling on our heads. Bit wasteful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 164
Mappers
March 27, 2023, 7:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from DB
The one thing all this does reflect is the absolute lack of maintenance to BP down over the last decade to keep it in tip-top condition.

Firstly the pitch
Last year the Osmond Stand
This year the Main Stand

I wonder what will come out next year?

The sad thing is if this work had been done years ago the cost would have been far less, and today's money could have been spent on the squad.

Reminds me of my late nans house -patch up to the minimum minimum requirement ,but when its handed over to somebody else major repairs required that if had been rectified when the problem first occured there wouldnt be such big money needing to be spent .

The problem is you fix one thing and then something else goes with these old structures , you can patch them up forever but at one cost ?

Fear BP is going to be a major cash cow in the near to medium term ,even Jason said this main stand issue came as a suprise .

I wonder how many more BP suprises will come in the next few years ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 164
WesternMariner
March 27, 2023, 7:25am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +948
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Yoda
The main stand is terrible shocking view no facilities.
i refuse to pay the money to sit in it.

Do you mean you refuse to ask your mum for the money to pay to sit in it?

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 164
Mappers
March 27, 2023, 7:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
You can see what a drain it is even without knowing the ins and outs :
-Tannoy system needs replacing (andrew said the figure i have forgotten but its not small)
-Pitch needs relaying (over a million i think Jason said )
-Turnstiles all need replacing (not cheap )
-Toilets all need replacing
-Ticketing system needs replacing

Thats just the obvious ones ,without even thinking about stadium redevelopment and all these 'unexpected' costs that are coming up to keep it running .

They have taken  on one hell of a project IF they do want to stay at BP long term .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 164
golfer
March 27, 2023, 8:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I wonder how much JSF really put into the club. He got his loan money back  ( albeit losing interest he would have got if in bank ) but he received a lot of free perks and bragging rights. Would he have been able to claim "depreciation" value on B.P. We all know what good accountants are able to do for you.We call him the owner but was he really the owner for tax purposes ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 164
lew chaterleys lover
March 27, 2023, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from aldi_01

Said this all along, the new ground was never about the club when it came to Fenty. It was about him, making something for him, being it the status of being someone who delivered a new ground or, and what I really think his ambition was, money.

Fenty was so obsessed with a new ground that he never arsed himself to keep on top of BP. He wasted a million quid of club money ‘exploring ideas’ that could’ve been spent on BP so perhaps it wouldn’t be quite as knackered..:

Once again, a fine example of the blokes inability to run a football club or actually give a excrement about it…

He had such a huge ego, he thought he could keep Blundell park running with his hands on approach to DIY! He seemed like a frustrated builder and you shudder to imagine what he would have done had the new ground ever been built.

Clambering up floodlights and onto roofs he thought he was action match saving a few quid.

Thank goodness he has gone.

Although progress might be a bit too slow for me I am sure the owners will come to the right decisions.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 164
Mariner_09
March 27, 2023, 10:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mappers
You can see what a drain it is even without knowing the ins and outs :
-Tannoy system needs replacing (andrew said the figure i have forgotten but its not small)
-Pitch needs relaying (over a million i think Jason said )
-Turnstiles all need replacing (not cheap )
-Toilets all need replacing
-Ticketing system needs replacing

Thats just the obvious ones ,without even thinking about stadium redevelopment and all these 'unexpected' costs that are coming up to keep it running .

They have taken  on one hell of a project IF they do want to stay at BP long term .

JS said that Debbie has a list as long as her arm with renovations that need to happen to BP, I'd be surprised if those that you've listed aren't all on it.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 164
sam gy
March 27, 2023, 10:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Yoda
The main stand is terrible shocking view no facilities.
i refuse to pay the money to sit in it.

No facilities apart from the 2/3 proper bars that are inbuilt to the stand. Whereas the Pontoon merely has a serving hatch. Yes it's incredibly outdated and needs sorting, but let's not just make crap up about it - hah.

Honestly, i sit in the main more than any other stand these days and the view is absolutely fine for me - sure it's 'shocking' if you sit right at the top bit that's not something i've ever had to do.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 164
MuddyWaters
March 27, 2023, 11:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
An interesting interview with Mike Phillips from a few years back - incredible that he managed to make BP an award-winning surface with so little help.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/grimsby-town-blundell-park-groundsman-4343499
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 164
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.