Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 143 Guests

This thread currently has 16,441 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 10:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I think that's fine Lew if they set out a clear vision and plan for a fully developed Blundell Park, phased say over 10 years, that would be substantial progress.

Do I think a new stadium would be more advantageous, yes, but if its feasible and can be delivered for less than the cost of a new stadium, then yes let's go for that.

Ongoing sticking plasters not so much.

Rather than by your own admission making up numbers listen to the interview again, Jason said they’re working with a strategy expert to understand what the plan needs to be and more importantly how to do it.

I know from my career experience strategists have a better understanding of what needs to be done than fish merchants.

A development of this scale is a massive capex project so we need to accrue the capital to enable the reality, it will need to be from multiple investors, grants and subsidies. It must not be from a dirty great loan.

Anyone who thinks a rise in attendances and match day income would service the debt that we would incur by moving in our current state needs to understand that it won’t.

One owner is an entrepreneur the other a property developer so just leave them to do the right thing to protect and progress the club long term and accept that for a while yet it won’t be a new ground.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 164
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

And they actually put money in, not tell us they do but don’t actually do it…

And unlike the fish merchant it’s not their default defence mechanism whenever someone says something, states a view or opinion that differs to theirs.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 164
DB
March 26, 2023, 11:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390

I don't know about anybody else but after hearing Stockwood give an interview it always seems to pose more questions than answers.

This is probably a good thing in that he is not over promising things he cannot deliver, but surely by now they must have come to a decision on whether to stay at BP?

I got the impression that is the way they are leaning with his affection for the stadium,  the agreement to spend remedial monies on the Main Stand and he also said Debbie has a list of things as long as her arm to do with the stadium.

I think if the fans were given a clear direction of travel  they could harness the fans excitement into various ways of helping the project.

I believe this is what happened when the Trust opened the Fans Zone. It is a way forward that the club should look be looking at be it practical or guaranteed loans, however small or large etc.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 164
lew chaterleys lover
March 26, 2023, 11:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Unless we get some seriously wealthy investor, and I mean net worth £100 million + in addition to 1878's worth, the only way we get a new stadium is a community project funded by lots of central government grant with GTFC as a Lessee. Basically, the Rotherham way. That needs competent project management in the public sector. I expect that's one of the reasons why 1878 are looking at improving Blundell Park for now. The revenue generating potential of an improved BP will still be very limited compared to the new stadia but i will trust 1878 to maximise it.

You would have to be of unsound mind to work with NELC to provide anything. Much like Fenty their expertise seems to start and end with getting a swanky artists impression done for publicity then zilch.

The councils role is emptying the bins and hopefully passing plans for redeveloping BP.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 164
toontown
March 26, 2023, 12:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70

You would have to be of unsound mind to work with NELC to provide anything. Much like Fenty their expertise seems to start and end with getting a swanky artists impression done for publicity then zilch.

The councils role is emptying the bins and hopefully passing plans for redeveloping BP.

Aye, the local council of whatever stripe have been staggeringly hopeless for years which holds us back compared to similar sized clubs in similar situations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 164
grimps
March 26, 2023, 12:16pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Let’s say a new main stand cost 4 million to build with an extra couple of thousand capacity ?
The current main stand is going to cost the club more than that over the next 10 years to keep it going , plus it’s the only stand that never sells out due to poor view and faculties .
It makes perfect sense to knock it down now and rebuild  rather than Chuck money down the drain on it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 164
Heisenberg
March 26, 2023, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from DB

I believe this is what happened when the Trust opened the Fans Zone. It is a way forward that the club should look be looking at be it practical or guaranteed loans, however small or large etc.

No DB, Lew has asked for 100% clarity, and we’ve not had that yet after their 2 years in charge. If we are staying at BP, which in my opinion is far from ideal, then they need to put out a statement saying “we’ll not be moving into a new stadium during our tenure”. If the stadium is on the back burner, but they are working in the background to hopefully externally fund a new stadium, they should say that. If we’re staying at BP, we’d like to know what’s possible regarding development, and a timeframe.

The only option that is not viable is doing nothing, and I believe that is not their style at all, so personally I do have trust in the owners, even if the need for a new stadium is not their chosen direction of travel. But indication of a plan would be nice. The only thing that worries me is I don’t quite believe that after 2 years they’ve decided what their plan is, and the state of BP is gradually becoming a more obvious burden to them. It’s gradually becoming clear to them that their chosen option of staying at BP will be a money pit.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 164
It Bites
March 26, 2023, 12:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 266
Also need a large sponsorship deal for any new stand
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 164
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 12:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Also need a large sponsorship deal for any new stand

That’s where I think we’ve been quite smart in getting My Energy on board, ethically it makes the right statement but the renewals sector is massive now and set to get much bigger, our shirt sponsor is a relatively decent sized business but over time if the relationship works they’ll be a massive business supporting the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 164
headingly_mariner
March 26, 2023, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
I completely trust the owners that the work is necessary. I fully expect them to have a long term and impressive redevelopment plan for BP.

The contrast in ownership is huge, we've gone from a thin skinned, tight bottom who nobody wanted to work with other than convicted fraudsters. Now we have genuine professionals who talk well and have taken every opportunity to raise the profile of the club.

I'd imagine they will be able to get people to work with and invest in the club. On the pitch we are on course for our highest position since 2006 and our best post war cup run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 164
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.