Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 170 Guests

This thread currently has 16,448 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
The Caterham Mariner
March 26, 2023, 10:06am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
We are glad to see the back of the "Fenty" era and relish new horizons with new ownership who actually support "Town".
Lets be real a new Ground is what 30- 50 millions and another bone of contention  where to put it.
So refurbishments again cost money and take time and won't happen over night.
Ihope we can put faith into Stockwood & Petit into putting priorities  in order in a financial  viable way.
To be honest i have not got a clue how etc to even contemplate major changes, As i have'nt got an O-Level in art!!
So let them get on with it ...AND NO you are not  going to "Burn Down The Main Stand!" Me daft that i am would pay the club come North in a van for some wood to make a fireplace surround and have abit of BP History in my house...UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 164
aldi_01
March 26, 2023, 10:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
30m for a new stadium. What's the existing burn rate for the current stadium half a million a season? You could conceivably see us spending 5m over that 10 year strategy to move absolutely no further forwards.

Add to that the opportunity cost missed from increased attendances, higher match day spend and completely new income streams.

The longer you push that evaluation horizon out the gap between doing not much really and something substantial becomes smaller and smaller.

Where do they get the £30m, assuming that’s how much it costs? Happy with the club to saddled with huge swathes of debt? Happy for the club to spend obscene cash on something which doesn’t guarantee any success or improvement?

If anyone arsed themselves to ignore the rhetoric that the previous regime continually fed us about a new stadium; a rhetoric that went no further and was only such a priority because of the huge financial gains on the perceived horizon for the previous idiot, they’d see that the clubs infrastructure was copulated. Everything about the club was Sunday league in all but name. The club was a disgrace, we’ve heard them talk about additional costs that they’ve incurred due to things having not been paid, done, or maintained under the idiot…that’s taken a significant chunk of time and money.

The new stadium conversation just rumbles on, I wonder what would happen if it ever gets built, what would be the obsession then? The seats are the wrong shade of red? The location?

Whether the spaces in the car park will be future proofed for the ever expanding large car market?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 164
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 10:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from denni266
We need a new ground, But lets be honest we cannot afford one so thats the end of that one ,  And there is no realy suitable sites within striking distance  . They will have to revamp the ground we have  ,Still going to cost a few bob but at some point soon its going to have to be done .. For me we have two or three empty corners with burger vans nosey coppers tea hut and a over priced beer hut that could be coverd over and seating erecting  then the main can be pulled down and rebuilt . Its  a job done in stages but it needs starting asap . we dont need a 12 / 14 thousand stadium as it would only be full on the odd occation not every game even if we was in the championship . People do not have the money in todays world to spend £30 / £40 a week on football  we have to be realistic

I feel for the owners as they have been left with this by the previous skin flint.

Adding extra capacity now is a difficult one in can we truly say demand justifies the cost, it’s not only the seats you’d need to pay for you still have to fit in the vendors, extra toilets etc.. If you add the seats uncovered how many people would want to sit in them on a wet Tuesday (or Saturday) versus Sutton, Newport, Barrow etc?

I think what Jason said about agreeing the long term strategy to in gain understanding of the investment they need to attract is the right starting point.

Having to spend £350K on the main stand isn’t ideal but it can’t be a catalyst for “new ground at all costs brigade” to start they’re movement now that Fenty is out and Hurst has proved up to it - just feels like another thing to mosn about.

What boils my p1ss is that some posters have selective hearing, they heard Jason saying the cost will be £350k but chose to ignore he went on to say both he and Andrew will be putting money in again next season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 164
aldi_01
March 26, 2023, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I feel for the owners as they have been left with this by the previous skin flint.

Adding extra capacity now is a difficult one in can we truly say demand justifies the cost, it’s not only the seats you’d need to pay for you still have to fit in the vendors, extra toilets etc.. If you add the seats uncovered how many people would want to sit in them on a wet Tuesday (or Saturday) versus Sutton, Newport, Barrow etc?

I think what Jason said about agreeing the long term strategy to in gain understanding of the investment they need to attract is the right starting point.

Having to spend £350K on the main stand isn’t ideal but it can’t be a catalyst for “new ground at all costs brigade” to start they’re movement now that Fenty is out and Hurst has proved up to it - just feels like another thing to mosn about.

What boils my p1ss is that some posters have selective hearing, they heard Jason saying the cost will be £350k but chose to ignore he went on to say both he and Andrew will be putting money in again next season.

And they actually put money in, not tell us they do but don’t actually do it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 164
Swansea_Mariner
March 26, 2023, 10:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You continuously post on here stating the same obvious fact but fail to acknowledge the fact that the club does not have the money for a new ground and are left with the situation they’re in now.

Where did you get the £500k per season figure from?

Without the details it's a guess. Can it really be that far away though. Do you think we spent less than half a million last season, do you think it will be less than half a million this season? See its easy to just state a question.

We don't have money for a new ground, do we have the money to progress without one? These are fundamental questions for the owners.

One of their stated aims is to ensure we have a club for another 140 years. Can we realistically see a scenario where the club plays at Blundell Park for another 140 years.  If the answer to that is no then how long do we kick the can down the road for. Down the road do those supposedly unaffordable construction costs get any cheaper?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 164
lew chaterleys lover
March 26, 2023, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
30m for a new stadium. What's the existing burn rate for the current stadium half a million a season? You could conceivably see us spending 5m over that 10 year strategy to move absolutely no further forwards.

Add to that the opportunity cost missed from increased attendances, higher match day spend and completely new income streams.

The longer you push that evaluation horizon out the gap between doing not much really and something substantial becomes smaller and smaller.

That is true in a perfect world, but we haven't got 30 million pounds as a minimum for a new ground and it is just as far away as ever.

I think they will be pragmatic and develop BP over time.

The owners often refer to BP in affectionate terms and I get the feeling they believe the soul of the club lies therein and I think a good legacy would be to leave a rebuilt Blundell Park.

I agree though that a definitive decision will have to be made soon.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 164
Swansea_Mariner
March 26, 2023, 10:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
I think that's fine Lew if they set out a clear vision and plan for a fully developed Blundell Park, phased say over 10 years, that would be substantial progress.

Do I think a new stadium would be more advantageous, yes, but if its feasible and can be delivered for less than the cost of a new stadium, then yes let's go for that.

Ongoing sticking plasters not so much.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 164
Mappers
March 26, 2023, 10:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119

That is true in a perfect world, but we haven't got 30 million pounds as a minimum for a new ground and it is just as far away as ever.

I think they will be pragmatic and develop BP over time.

The owners often refer to BP in affectionate terms and I get the feeling they believe the soul of the club lies therein and I think a good legacy would be to leave a rebuilt Blundell Park.

I agree though that a definitive decision will have to be made soon.

I have the feeling listening to Jason lately that he himself has a few contradictions himself as to where they want to take the club long term ,and whats best for us .

To 'go right through ' and 'move through the gears ' as he puts it , which would need significant outside investment ,which could then  jeopordize everything they are trying to create and what they want the club to stand for .This would undoubtedly require a new stadium .

Or a club operating within its means in league 1 at best at a revamped blundell park being a community club and institution without a need for heavy investment , but something that everyone is happy with .

Its a question open to everyone really -ambition v realism of what we all want from the club in the next couple of decades .

In an ideal world the top 2 paragraphs together are the ideal scenario ,but we dont live in an ideal world .

We are lucky we can now have these conversations , Jason and Andrew are good guys ,football needs more like them and if it did the game wouldnt be in such a mess .

Beats promised new stadium promises that Extreme will deliver 'because they will' etc

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 164
lew chaterleys lover
March 26, 2023, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
I think that's fine Lew if they set out a clear vision and plan for a fully developed Blundell Park, phased say over 10 years, that would be substantial progress.

Do I think a new stadium would be more advantageous, yes, but if its feasible and can be delivered for less than the cost of a new stadium, then yes let's go for that.

Ongoing sticking plasters not so much.

I don't know about anybody else but after hearing Stockwood give an interview it always seems to pose more questions than answers.

This is probably a good thing in that he is not over promising things he cannot deliver, but surely by now they must have come to a decision on whether to stay at BP?

I got the impression that is the way they are leaning with his affection for the stadium,  the agreement to spend remedial monies on the Main Stand and he also said Debbie has a list of things as long as her arm to do with the stadium.

I think if the fans were given a clear direction of travel  they could harness the fans excitement into various ways of helping the project.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 164
Limerick Mariner
March 26, 2023, 10:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,729
Gold Stars: 137
Unless we get some seriously wealthy investor, and I mean net worth £100 million + in addition to 1878's worth, the only way we get a new stadium is a community project funded by lots of central government grant with GTFC as a Lessee. Basically, the Rotherham way. That needs competent project management in the public sector. I expect that's one of the reasons why 1878 are looking at improving Blundell Park for now. The revenue generating potential of an improved BP will still be very limited compared to the new stadia but i will trust 1878 to maximise it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 164
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.