Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 185 Guests

This thread currently has 16,443 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 3:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I think it's not too much to ask the club for clarity on what the direction of travel looks like but until they have done the work with the strategy group Jason spoke about it won't come and when it does I doubt there will be a specific date for a new ground.

The owners are working hard to give Paul Hurst the tools he needs to deliver success on the pitch, I'm sure everyone will agree that this has to be the priority. We know that's not just a bigger budget for players, a masseur  and a bloke with a lap top it extends to significant investment in a new training ground and several other strands that the previous leadership chose not to address.

If we have success then it could actually bring forward and facilitate a move/re-development and until that happens I doubt there would be the true demand to make such capex worthwhile if it was at the determent of the club or provided risk.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 164
ginnywings
March 26, 2023, 4:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
This thread seems to have gone off on a tangent.

Some are calling for a new ground, which the owners have said more than once isn't in the immediate future plans. Some are calling for additional seating in the corners, which again, the owners have addressed by saying that the demand is not yet there, but that they are looking at it. We are averaging 6500 this season, so it's hardly a pressing matter.

What is pressing is the amount of things that need to be done, just to keep BP running at it's present capacity, and the unexpected bill of 350k has to be the priority, even if it is seen by some as a sticking plaster and a waste of money. Simply put, if we don't do it, then the stand could be closed, losing revenue. Knocking it down and rebuilding is going to cost a lot of money, so getting it safe for the next few seasons until the next inspection is the quickest and cheapest way forward I would imagine.

The Osmond had to have tens of thousands spent on it after the report on it this time last year, because the metalwork was rusted to the point that it was dangerous. There are literally hundreds of jobs that need doing around the ground, some needing more immediate attention than others.

Then there is the new training ground on the horizon and the fact we need to invest more into the playing squad, all of which costs money.

They are trying to fix both the footballing side and the myriad problems with the ground at the same time. There is no bottomless pot of money to solve all the problems at once, and to be fair, they have done more in 2 years than JF did in twenty.

I'm sure the long term goal is a new ground or an updated version of BP, but for now, we just have to keep the old girl running and fit to host football matches, and some of those decisions are in the hands of outside authorities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 164
arryarryarry
March 26, 2023, 5:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
I wonder how much the two large stands at Barnet cost to build as they are prefabish to say the least but do a job and wouldn't have to be as big as they are at Barnet.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 164
ginnywings
March 26, 2023, 5:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry
I wonder how much the two large stands at Barnet cost to build as they are prefabish to say the least but do a job and wouldn't have to be as big as they are at Barnet.

A lot.

https://www.barnetfc.com/news-planning-approval-for-major-expansion-of-the-hive-london
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 164
rancido
March 26, 2023, 5:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Simon

We have just had TWENTY years of false promises regarding building a new ground by the tinpot last regime and look where that's got us, only one who's benefited from the proposed Great Coates, Peakes Parkway, Freeman Street and Grimsby Docks proposals has been the bloody architects

Jason Stockwood & Andrew Pettit are not idiots and will not want to go down that route of making themselves look silly promising something that we can't in the short term deliver. I predict the conversation has gone something like this patch up a dilapidated Blundell Park while at the same time improving the training facilities, give Paul Hurst the tools required to build a solid team that can hopefully get out of L2 and start knocking at the door at the top of L1 while at the same time in private behind the scenes look at the long term plans re the ground, my prediction of location when it happens will be that we will see a new ground pop up as part of the plans for the Freshney Valley development which fits in with the ten year time scale

The thing IMO was that the previous regime, The Leech, looked upon any ground move as what he could benefit from it and not the club. Under our new owners the emphasis is more on what benefits the club and there lies the difference. I don't know for sure but I think that if the previous regime had looked on the club first then maybe we wouldn't have wasted 20+ years in finding a new ground.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 164
forza ivano
March 26, 2023, 7:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ginnywings
This thread seems to have gone off on a tangent.

Some are calling for a new ground, which the owners have said more than once isn't in the immediate future plans. Some are calling for additional seating in the corners, which again, the owners have addressed by saying that the demand is not yet there, but that they are looking at it. We are averaging 6500 this season, so it's hardly a pressing matter.

What is pressing is the amount of things that need to be done, just to keep BP running at it's present capacity, and the unexpected bill of 350k has to be the priority, even if it is seen by some as a sticking plaster and a waste of money. Simply put, if we don't do it, then the stand could be closed, losing revenue. Knocking it down and rebuilding is going to cost a lot of money, so getting it safe for the next few seasons until the next inspection is the quickest and cheapest way forward I would imagine.

The Osmond had to have tens of thousands spent on it after the report on it this time last year, because the metalwork was rusted to the point that it was dangerous. There are literally hundreds of jobs that need doing around the ground, some needing more immediate attention than others.

Then there is the new training ground on the horizon and the fact we need to invest more into the playing squad, all of which costs money.

They are trying to fix both the footballing side and the myriad problems with the ground at the same time. There is no bottomless pot of money to solve all the problems at once, and to be fair, they have done more in 2 years than JF did in twenty.

I'm sure the long term goal is a new ground or an updated version of BP, but for now, we just have to keep the old girl running and fit to host football matches, and some of those decisions are in the hands of outside authorities.

Thanks John - the legacy you've left will never be forgotten
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 164
The Caterham Mariner
March 26, 2023, 7:34pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from forza ivano

Thanks John - the legacy you've left will never be forgotten

Ok lets face it then we love BP but yes we still need to invest in the club to refurbish the "Old Lady" to keep her going.UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 164
moosey_club
March 26, 2023, 10:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Effectively all she needs is lipo, a boob job and some botox..

On that basis I cant believe it wasn't done previously.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 164
Yoda
March 26, 2023, 10:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
The main stand is terrible shocking view no facilities.
i refuse to pay the money to sit in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 164
aldi_01
March 27, 2023, 6:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from rancido

The thing IMO was that the previous regime, The Leech, looked upon any ground move as what he could benefit from it and not the club. Under our new owners the emphasis is more on what benefits the club and there lies the difference. I don't know for sure but I think that if the previous regime had looked on the club first then maybe we wouldn't have wasted 20+ years in finding a new ground.

Said this all along, the new ground was never about the club when it came to Fenty. It was about him, making something for him, being it the status of being someone who delivered a new ground or, and what I really think his ambition was, money.

Fenty was so obsessed with a new ground that he never arsed himself to keep on top of BP. He wasted a million quid of club money ‘exploring ideas’ that could’ve been spent on BP so perhaps it wouldn’t be quite as knackered..:

Once again, a fine example of the blokes inability to run a football club or actually give a excrement about it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 164
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.