Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 155 Guests

This thread currently has 16,444 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
March 27, 2023, 12:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from aldi_01

Said this all along, the new ground was never about the club when it came to Fenty. It was about him, making something for him, being it the status of being someone who delivered a new ground or, and what I really think his ambition was, money.

Fenty was so obsessed with a new ground that he never arsed himself to keep on top of BP. He wasted a million quid of club money ‘exploring ideas’ that could’ve been spent on BP so perhaps it wouldn’t be quite as knackered..:

Once again, a fine example of the blokes inability to run a football club or actually give a excrement about it…

Before the Alex May fiasco I wasnt completely against Fenty as I thought he was a fish merchant doing his best ,albeit in an environment that obviously didnt fit his skill set ; i thought he was a fan who just couldnt run a football club very well .

The Alex May fiasco shows his motives were proberly more sinister than that .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 164
toontown
March 27, 2023, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mappers

Before the Alex May fiasco I wasnt completely against Fenty as I thought he was a fish merchant doing his best ,albeit in an environment that obviously didnt fit his skill set ; i thought he was a fan who just couldnt run a football club very well .

The Alex May fiasco shows his motives were proberly more sinister than that .

Totally agree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 164
kafunanapar140909
March 27, 2023, 3:06pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from MuddyWaters
An interesting interview with Mike Phillips from a few years back - incredible that he managed to make BP an award-winning surface with so little help.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/grimsby-town-blundell-park-groundsman-4343499

Thanks for the link - that’s an eye-opening article. I knew furloughing the groundsman was a bad idea but foxes running riot on the pitch, Fleming mowing it…

I wonder what Fenty made of this interview, which lays bare just how little investment there actually was in this area of the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 164
It Bites
March 27, 2023, 3:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 266
Anyone know why Fenty up rooted and moved out the area ?
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 164
toontown
March 27, 2023, 3:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

Thanks for the link - that’s an eye-opening article. I knew furloughing the groundsman was a bad idea but foxes running riot on the pitch, Fleming mowing it…

I wonder what Fenty made of this interview, which lays bare just how little investment there actually was in this area of the club.

I would think his thoughts were of pride at how tightly he gripped the finances, not allowing a penny to be spent if it could possibly be avoided or put off....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 164
OddShapedBalls
March 27, 2023, 4:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
“The last major piece of kit we got was in 1998 from the Wembley money. It's something that aerates the pitch. I am still using it 22 years later – it’s a good piece of kit."

This single quote told me all i needed to know.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 164
White_shorts
March 27, 2023, 4:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -648
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Looking at what they've done in their case studies my, idealistic, take for a redevelopment of BP would be:-

- Stage 1 - replace the Main Stand (circa 3.75k capacity plus 0.75 in the Imp corner)

- Stage 2 - replace the Osmond (circa 1.6k capacity)

- Stage 3 - in a few years replace the Pontoon (1.7k)

- Stage 4 - Findus, probably a long way off (on promotion to Championship?) (5k)

12,050 final capacity - 9k seats and 3k safe standing.

FFS yet another ground redevelopment thread.

It would be madness to squeeze four new stands onto the site of BP when there is a bigger stadium-sized plot of land at Freemo.  Do you seriously think 12k is adequate for Grimsby Town Football Club?  Do you have no desire to see the Mariners compete in the Championship again?  I doubt the council will give permission for more than the 10k we had with those green uncovered seats.

It is tough enough to get promoted from League One as it is.  Wrexham are increasing their capacity to 15k and will likely go up again.  Notts County and Bradford should be third tier in a few years.  If we stay at BP, stagnation and apathy will set in and the club will just yo-yo between the fourth division and non-league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 164
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 27, 2023, 4:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,928
Gold Stars: 180
To simplify it:

you do work required to put a car through an MOT. You don’t just go out and buy a new one when you can’t necessarily afford it

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 164
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
March 27, 2023, 4:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from White_shorts

It would be madness to squeeze four new stands onto the site of BP when there is a bigger stadium-sized plot of land at Freemo.  Do you seriously think 12k is adequate for Grimsby Town Football Club?  Do you have no desire to see the Mariners compete in the Championship again?  I doubt the council will give permission for more than the 10k we had with those green uncovered seats.

It is tough enough to get promoted from League One as it is.  Wrexham are increasing their capacity to 15k and will likely go up again.  Notts County and Bradford should be third tier in a few years.  If we stay at BP, stagnation and apathy will set in and the club will just yo-yo between the fourth division and non-league.

That ship has sailed, football has changed massively since we were in the championship, mid table league one is probably the best we can hope for and stay sustainable

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 164
jimgtfc
March 27, 2023, 4:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from White_shorts

Sorry to break it to you mate, but it’s just not happening.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 164
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 350k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.