Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Poojah and 37 Guests

Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?

This thread currently has 27,585 views. Print
38 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
October 31, 2021, 8:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,995
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

So you let it happen ..it’s you not calling it out that’s the problem. Reporting it on a msg board wont stop anything going up to the guy and saying leave it out might have done

I clearly said I wasn’t exactly certainwho it came from. I heard it & looked over at the area it came from and saw a small group of older men. Further abusive (but not discriminatory) shouts from a drunken “fan” made me almost certain it was him. But like I said I wasn’t certain enough to report an individual.

But trust me if you were sat near me in the Pontoon and shouted a discriminatory slur and I was 100% certain it was you I would report the matter to the club and Humberside Police including the seat number you were sat in and volunteer to look through CCTV or photos to positively identify you so the club and Police could take the appropriate action against you.

Happy?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 100 - 371
aldi_01
October 31, 2021, 8:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I heard the homophobic “F” word being shouted at Wealdstone on Tuesday night by a Town “fan”. I was about 80% certain who it came from- an old bloke stood about 5-10 yards to my left (I was in the last seat of the seating section behind the goal).

Unfortunately we have a history of discriminatory language being chanted at BP. Until a few years ago a Town employee used to enjoy, encourage & sometimes mimic a composer as some Town “fans” chanted “G***” at him as we walks in front of the Pontoon. I know for 100% fact that this was reported to Kick it Out and the club had to put a plan in place (the employee in question walked behind the Pontoon instead) to stop it happening again.

I would hope the new owners will put out a very strongly word statement making clear that the club is for the entire Grimsby Town community & anyone who shouts discriminatory abuse like I heard at Wealdstone & like clearly happened yesterday in the Lower Youngs will be banned for life.

I heard the PA system anti-discrimination message clearly in the Pontoon. And some cretins even booed it. Thankfully this encouraged the majority (ie decent people) to applaud the message.

Can I please encourage anyone who feels fit to boo the taking on the knee, makes excuses for yesterday’s incident and booed the anti-discrimination message on the PA system to f*** off and find something else to do at 3PM on a Saturday because you are not welcome at Grimsby Town.

And I’ve scanned through this thread and there are a few on here that I would extend that message too.

There was a club who didn’t ban a convicted racist for life…can’t think who it was though?

For what it’s worth, I was near it and didn’t hear anything but that’s not to say it didn’t happen…no doubt the right course of action will be taken.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 371
TheRealJohnLewis
October 31, 2021, 8:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
The argument " it happens everywhere it's not just a Grimsby problem!" in regards to racism, homophobia, football violence, pitch encroachments is ridiculous. Yes, it might happen at other grounds and clubs around the country but that doesn't mean we (Grimsby Town FC) should accept it. We should strive for better off the pitch as well as on it.  We should encourage the neanderthal element of our fans base to progress into the 21st century and if they fail to adapt, then let them know they are not welcome.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 371
lew chaterleys lover
October 31, 2021, 8:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,809
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from GollyGTFC

What if the fan stood next to you was gay? Or maybe the fan stood next to you had a gay child? You don’t think that would be offensive to them? Who are you more concerned about? The cretin who shouted the homophobic term or the gay Town fans who witness this sort of thing happening and either suffer in silence or have just stopped coming to games?

And this is ultimately why I (and the majority) support and applaud taking the knee. I used to think me not being racist but staying silent was enough. But it isn’t. Showing solidarity & vocal/active support to oppose discrimination is needed if these vile, nasty people are going to be silenced. The political climate has emboldened racist and homophobics and that needs reversing.

Nobody is perfect. You learn. When I was younger I used to join in with Peter Sutcliffe related songs as I thought it was harmless fun. I think it was the 30th anniversary of Peter Sutcliffe being caught that I saw a documentary on TV which featured Richard McCann who’s mother, Wilma, was murdered by Sutcliffe. He spoke with dignity about what Sutcliffe did to him and his family. The penny dropped for me. Why would I think chanting about a man who caused untold misery to countless people would be funny?

But I guess that’s the difference between decent people and people like those who shamed our club at Wealdstone and yesterday. If you’re open minded to be proved wrong and open minded to improve as a person you can become a kinder and better person. People who aren’t bothered because the homophobic/racial slur doesn’t effect them are little better than the scum who shouted the abuse. its simple empathy for people who are different to you.

You dont sound very open minded to me to be honest.  You were quite happy to revel in murders of women but want a fan or two who might be under the influence to be reported immediately for shouting homosexual.

Which do you think was worse - chanting about the rape and  deaths of women or a drunken shout of homosexual?

You seem to excuse yourself but not anybody else.

Private Message
Reply: 103 - 371
dapperz fun pub
October 31, 2021, 8:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I clearly said I wasn’t exactly certainwho it came from. I heard it & looked over at the area it came from and saw a small group of older men. Further abusive (but not discriminatory) shouts from a drunken “fan” made me almost certain it was him. But like I said I wasn’t certain enough to report an individual.

But trust me if you were sat near me in the Pontoon and shouted a discriminatory slur and I was 100% certain it was you I would report the matter to the club and Humberside Police including the seat number you were sat in and volunteer to look through CCTV or photos to positively identify you so the club and Police could take the appropriate action against you.

Happy?

Happy at what exactly ? You say you heard abusive comments from other town fans and almost certain one individual and chose to report it to the fishy instead of reporting it to the stewards or police

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 371
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2021, 8:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,073
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from pen penfras

Why do gay people have to come out and announce their sexuality? Isn't that in itself homophobic? We don't expect heterosexual people to publicly announce their sexuality. They should be able to do what they want and get on with it.

My daughter is gay as the term goes she "came out" because she needed to do for her and nobody else. Usually it's more that the person feels the need to rather than any need to satisfy conformity.

People who spout racist or homophobic comments are idiots people who think such things and don't say it are equally as stupid in their unconscious bias.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 371
Simon
October 31, 2021, 8:41am
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Spidey

I was near the alleged incident too, row c, and I heard no racist comments, one guy saying the C word a few times, there was also an older guy a bit further along from where I was sat, who kept getting up and walking towards the barriers and giving a bit of grief to the opposition whilst there was a stoppage in play for Sear’s injury, one of the older stewards on the touchline actually laughed at his swearing and they even fist bumped each other! Cameron as you say was getting most of the abuse, but what I heard wasn’t over stepping the line, Cameron was also gesturing to the fans to calm down.
I think you could be spot on in that Cameron fabricated the incident. I definitely didn’t hear a racist comment.

Same row as us, like i said we were sat right where the alleged comments came from but heard nothing. Even the banter with Cameron re his choice of hair style wasnt over the top i just think people are jumping to conclusions

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 371
dapperz fun pub
October 31, 2021, 8:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from HertsGTFC

My daughter is gay as the term goes she "came out" because she needed to do for her and nobody else. Usually it's more that the person feels the need to rather than any need to satisfy conformity.

People who spout racist or homophobic comments are idiots people who think such things and don't say it are equally as stupid in their unconscious bias.  

Couldn’t agree more and people who stand back and let it happen are just as bad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 371
Simon
October 31, 2021, 8:44am
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Cameron did not fabricate or lie about it. His claim has been backed up by Town players.

It is a Grimsby problem. It’s happening in our ground in our Town. Might not be you, but we all get tarred with the same brush. If you don’t like it, then start doing something about it. Don’t just sit there in silence, grow some and out these racist and homophobic planks and point them out, there and then

So what was said then, can only think it must have been the bloke getting a bit excited at the barriers because we didnt hear anything where we were sat

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 371
It Bites
October 31, 2021, 8:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,228
Gold Stars: 266
If you are replying to th OP by trying to defend the racists by saying things like " it's not just at our club" etc then you are part of the problem . When I'm sat watching Grimsby with my family and listening to vile Racist , Sexist language then we have to start addressing The problems at Grimsby Town rather than comparing with other clubs .
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 371
38 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.