Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?

This thread currently has 27,630 views. Print
38 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DB
October 31, 2021, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.35
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from rancido

Still waiting for why DB made his post about my post ?

It was clarified by me some time ago, reply 129 but you must have missed it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 371
ginnywings
October 31, 2021, 2:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rick12
I believe in something divine and will always stand by that. Many religious people from all around the world stand by me on that front be it Christian/Jew/Muslim /Sikh and even people that don't belong to any organised religion .Atheists like yourself are actually in the minority worldwide. As for your anger calling me a religious b****** sort it out as that sort of speech is out of order  . I agree with some of your views but on this you've crossed the line big style.

As for your views on breaking free from our past some things dont change and ever will. We are here ultimately to carry on the human species and live in harmony with our planet.

How do you manage to shoe horn religion into every discussion? I find religion almost as offensive as racism.

The incident in question took place right below where I sit in the Upper and although I didn't hear the comments, you could see by the look on the players face and his body language that something upsetting had been said to him. He was also consoled by his own and our players, before the ref spoke to said players and reported the incident to the managers and officials, so something seemed to be worthy of note.

Hope there is some clarity on the situation tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 371
Rick12
October 31, 2021, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

How do you manage to shoe horn religion into every discussion? I find religion almost as offensive as racism.

The incident in question took place right below where I sit in the Upper and although I didn't hear the comments, you could see by the look on the players face and his body language that something upsetting had been said to him. He was also consoled by his own and our players, before the ref spoke to said players and reported the incident to the managers and officials, so something seemed to be worthy of note.

Hope there is some clarity on the situation tomorrow.
Religion for me is key. I've seen some horrible stuff in my life and without my faith I don't think I could cope. Likewise I've had a one of spiritual experience as you may know when young that convinces me there is something there. As for you finding religion almost as offensive as racism I find that very sad Ginny.

There's some nice sentiments though  in your post.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 371
Sir Matt Tease
October 31, 2021, 2:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Vance Warner

If anyone’s being precious it’s those who can’t handle their outdated views being challenged. I’m sure we’ve all been to enough games to know that racist and homophobic comments still happen. I’m not sure why we wouldn’t want to come together to stamp that out.

What is that supposed to mean ? I was the one who made the challenge to provide evidence that something had indeed happened !

Up to now nobody seems to have seen or heard anything, its just a bunch of virtuous kids trying to feel good about themselves regarding something which may or may not have happened !

I'm not being precious, its about trying to encourage debate which most on here seem incapable of entering in to !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 371
Stadium
October 31, 2021, 3:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Humbercod
16 pages and counting on something that by all witness accounts didn’t happen! And most people can’t see the real problem!

Whilst I wasn't close enough to hear what was said to Taylor that prompted the announcement (although pretty obvious something crossed the line from the reaction of both sets of players), there definitely was separately some v loud & clear homophobic abuse inc shouts of f*ggot, p*ff and 'qu*er c*nt' at players. This was reported but when stewards acted, a big group closed ranks and was hard for people to speak up. Was separate to the incident that prompted announcement but was definitely present and really disappointing that there was so many denying hearing anything - it wasn't said quietly. Feel like both incidents got wrapped up in one and have the potential to be dismissed but atmosphere in that part of the middle Lower (we don't usually sit there) was toxic from some people today

There were two guys on the back row of the youngs constantly shouting f@ggot.

I heard ‘g****’ shouted from the Lower.
And could hear plenty of homophobic shouts too. Tend to trust that the reaction of our and their players is genuine (regardless if people heard or not) - and we need to do better.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 371
male private Johnson
October 31, 2021, 3:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +170
Gold Stars: 6
To anyone in any doubt about whether anything discriminatory was said yesterday, don’t be.

I was in row E of the Lower, towards the away end and heard someone about 15-20 seats to my left call one of the injured County players “a flipping homosexual” very clearly on at least two occasions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 371
rancido
October 31, 2021, 3:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from DB

You posted

You obviously are in favour of verbal abuse being called out. You then ended with FFS which is written verbal abuse. So to me, you are contradicting yourself, hope this clarifies it for you.

Maybe I should have used the words "So you advocate just keep quiet" then you would have grasped the meaning better? As for FFS, this was used to emphasise the "just keeping quiet" aspect of the statement ie adopting a passive attitude to something. I have never heard of FFS being described as "written verbal abuse" but if you interpret it as such then I will not use it in future replies to your posts. Maybe other posters or indeed a Moderator could clarify if FFS could be interpreted as written verbal abuse?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 371
Kris2
October 31, 2021, 3:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I often wonder what peoples' motivations are to completely shut down and refuse to acknowledge that racism exists and is present.

Mostly they either don't care because it doesn't affect them or they are the ones doing it. It's one of those things you'd hope would die off with older generations who can't accept times have changed but then there are groups calling themselves a firm though I'd question if they actually would fight any hooligans taking pictures doing Nazi salutes on the road and plenty who express those kind of views on here so it's probably not going anywhere.
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 371
headingly_mariner
October 31, 2021, 3:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
When I was at school 20 years all the insults were about being gay. At my school it wasn’t challenged, at football you’d often hear poof, homosexual, rent boy etc, this was regularly shouted and I can’t ever remember it being challenge.

All of my schooling took place when section 28 was in force. You also only have to look at the way homosexuality was portrayed in the press through the 80’s and 90’s to see why this language was the norm.

We don’t live in those times any more, the information is there for everyone.

Homophobic language isn’t acceptable. I love to see people berating the players of the opposition, but that can be done without racist or homophobic language. i don’t want football to be completely sanitised but there are certainly bits Id like to see wiped out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 371
Withnail
October 31, 2021, 4:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from ginnywings

I find religion almost as offensive as racism.

I usually agree with most of your views Ginny but this one is nonsense.

You find religion almost as offensive as racism? Really?

So you find the belief system of billions of Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus etc... almost as offensive as the views of violent, racist groups such as the KKK, or Combat 18? Really?

I know it's terribly on trend to be anti religious (well, Christian, at least) at present but some of the frothing at the mouth over faith, from the very same people who claim to be right on, is at best laughable and at worst completely hypocritical. And ironically the cohort of people most likely to be religious in the UK are now those from our former colonies.

While I'm not an apologist for the wrongs of religion, and I know they are as plentiful as they are terrible, I can also recognise that religion can provide comfort and that no religion creates a vacuum.

Each to their own - I couldn't care less if people are religious, or atheists, so long as they don't bang on about it and tell you your belief is wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 371
38 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.