Ahh Sole
October 1, 2017, 12:13pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from friskneymariner
Think Ronnie Bull takes that award.

Not Tom Newey? Although I never thought he was THAT bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 145
sonofmadeleymariner
October 1, 2017, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Ahh Sole

Not Tom Newey? Although I never thought he was THAT bad.

I always thought Newey should of been played as a winger, he liked going forward and could cross the ball well, he couldn't defend for excrement though

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 145
ginnywings
October 1, 2017, 12:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Dixon looks nervous to me. I think he must be a solid pro to have played at the level he has and it may just be a case of him settling into the club and team. Danny Andrew got better as the season wore on.

For me, October to December is when the league starts to settle down and the runners and riders start to jostle for position. Admittedly, we haven't looked great, but we haven't looked terrible either. Some teams just take time to evolve. There is always the possibility that we go the other way and sink, but that's football, you just never know how a team and season is going to shape up.

Whatever we think of Slade and the squad, we need a bit of stability after our crazy first season back when we had four different people in charge. I'm still reserving judgement yet and am eager to see what happens this month when we have a few games among the teams around us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 145
pontoonlew
October 1, 2017, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from lowerfindus

OVER REACTION ALERT......NEW PLAYER REPLACES SUMMERFIELD AS FISHY WHIPPING BOY.

Did you ever see Ronnie Bull? David Mulligan?

Oh Christ I take it back, Ronnie Bull takes that one.

It's not a case of Dixon being a 'whipping boy', he's just a very poor footballer player, I'm not sure what else you'd expect people to say if you saw him play yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 145
ginnywings
October 1, 2017, 1:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoonlew

Oh Christ I take it back, Ronnie Bull takes that one.

It's not a case of Dixon being a 'whipping boy', he's just a very poor footballer player, I'm not sure what else you'd expect people to say if you saw him play yesterday.

He had a bad game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 145
Swansea_Mariner
October 1, 2017, 2:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
Ronnie Bull was absolutely legendary gash. I feared Dixon was an Alan Neilson -esk signing, looks to be the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 145
rancido
October 1, 2017, 2:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96

I agree with your first sentence, and we do indeed look poor.

However, there is no way that team is Slade's preferred choice. As usual we have gone for the two for the price of one option on players - we have 4 centre forwards all of whom are shocking.

Unless we can get some new investment into the club we are just going to be supporters because we love the club, not because we expect any success.

I don't rate the Cowleys either, if that is the team they have put together after all the hype.

But surely that is down to Slade! He could have signed 6 or 7 quality players on the money he has utilised on 11. He may not have got the signings he originally targeted in the summer ( what managers do ) but just to sign players for the sake of it seems crazy to me. Over the summer Slade has signed ineffective strikers and run-of-the-mill wingers. He brought in Clarke  who, up to now , is no better than Pearson and probably on a lot more money. All managers are given a playing budget and how they spend it is down to them. So far, since he came here, Slade doesn't appear to have used it wisely.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 145
rancido
October 1, 2017, 2:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ahh Sole

Along with most of Russell Fenty's signings? No.

Surely you mean Russell' signings. Slade finds the players he wants within his budget.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 145
Ahh Sole
October 1, 2017, 2:56pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from rancido

Surely you mean Russell' signings. Slade finds the players he wants within his budget.

Who sets the budget?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 145
rancido
October 1, 2017, 3:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ahh Sole

Who sets the budget?

The  Board , including JF, and the Chief Executive of course but that is for the whole squad. How the manager utilises that budget is down to him. There is no way that Slade had to bring in so many players  this summer. Fewer better signings would have cost no more and would have been beneficial to the team in general. Slade has got nearly all of his signings wrong this summer and that has nothing to do with JF.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 145
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.