lew chaterleys lover
September 30, 2017, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

All the worst players are the ones Slade has brought in. We have just had in PH a manager that generally brought good players in for the sort of wages we offer. Even MB made a few reasonable signings. I don't accept our budget has suddenly become so poor we have had to drop to inferior signings - we'll get relegated if we continue to make such poor signings. I assume most of the pre-Slade players will be towards the end of their contracts and leave soon. It doesn't matter what way you play or how you line up, you need to have the players who have the ability to deliver your instructions on the pitch.

Fair points but I still maintain if you do not pay the right money you will not get the men you want.

I would never knock Hurst but he was 5 or 6 years in building the team. I am a bit bemused by the lack of quality in Slade's signings but I cannot believe many were his first choice targets. If they were, then he should take some stick and there needs to be a lot of work done on the training ground to make any headway.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 145
Garth
September 30, 2017, 7:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Never no mention of Wilkinson on here, Slade`s never played top class football Wilko has and been successful, you would have thought that he would be the best person to coach our strikers to at least move around the 18 yard area in a more threatening way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 145
Ahh Sole
September 30, 2017, 7:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from Garth
Never no mention of Wilkinson on here, Slade`s never played top class football Wilko has and been successful, you would have thought that he would be the best person to coach our strikers to at least move around the 18 yard area in a more threatening way.

Good point. Watching Matt today was like watching the kid in the playground who thought that he only had to move when he could score. Hooper is much the same - both are a waste of space (and contract).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 145
jimgtfc
September 30, 2017, 7:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 45
Average game between 2 average teams, I thought they slightly edged it on chances created, especially that bit of a scramble at the end that saw Macca make a smart block, and to be honest I think if we were still playing we wouldn't have scored yet. Never looked like breaking them down especially Sean Raggett who had both Jones and Matt in his pocket. I thought we lacked any sort of width today, Dembele came inside every time he got the ball and Woolford only ever looks to play an early pass as he doesn't have the pace to beat his full back, and our full backs barely venture forward.

Summerfield had an excellent game, I'd like to see him make some late runs into the penalty area as I think he has the aggression to get on the end of something and grab a goal or 2.

Not really much else to say, 2 points from 2 winnable home games isn't what anyone hoped for and probably shows where this season will end up, mid table mediocrity... roll on next season?

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 145
HertsGTFC
September 30, 2017, 7:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,941
Gold Stars: 228
Two mid table 4th Division teams for me. Thought Cowley got it wrong and tried to be far too clever with his shape as a simple 4-4-2 would have possibly caused us problems down the flanks and we never check runners from mid field so Bostwick would have had a bigger influence, I’ve seen him a few times over the years and he like to gohst forward. Also if their “training is championship level” it did not show today.

I thought overall Town tried to get hold of the game from the off and for the first 20 looked ok but they finished the half a bit stronger without either side really threatening.

The second half was a really good illustration of where we are, not sure if we’re a “footballing” or “direct” side and poor decision making whilst on the ball costs us momentum and sometimes possession. In addition to this both half’s exposed our lack of quality up front. To be fair they had a couple of spells in the 2nd half and possibly looked more likely to take a lead.

Special mention to Luke Summerfield who was excellent today, he was well backed up by Berret too, but they are a bit too similar so I guess it worked today as I’m sure the first objective was not to lose. Defence was decent and Macca delivered on his first objective - a clean sheet. Though they worked hard I am not sure what game plan we had for the 4 “offensive” players Jones, Matt, Dembele abd Woolford to get into and make a difference to the game. BTW Matt should not start ahead of Vernon from what I have seen and Cardwell should be given a start as he offers something different despite his age, oddly enough I thought Tombola would have caused them trouble today too.

So overall a fair result as neither side did enough to win the game.

Great to see the response Nathan Arnold got when he came off I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that since Super Clive destroyed us on that Friday night.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 145
friskneymariner
September 30, 2017, 8:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Says a lot about what Slade thinks of Hooper bringing Vernon on to replace the totally ineffective Matt,Hooper was brought in at the time s our main striker,close season recruitment was  a joke.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 145
arryarryarry
September 30, 2017, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Two mid table 4th Division teams for me. Thought Cowley got it wrong and tried to be far too clever with his shape as a simple 4-4-2 would have possibly caused us problems down the flanks and we never check runners from mid field so Bostwick would have had a bigger influence, I’ve seen him a few times over the years and he like to gohst forward. Also if their “training is championship level” it did not show today.

I thought overall Town tried to get hold of the game from the off and for the first 20 looked ok but they finished the half a bit stronger without either side really threatening.

The second half was a really good illustration of where we are, not sure if we’re a “footballing” or “direct” side and poor decision making whilst on the ball costs us momentum and sometimes possession. In addition to this both half’s exposed our lack of quality up front. To be fair they had a couple of spells in the 2nd half and possibly looked more likely to take a lead.

Special mention to Luke Summerfield who was excellent today, he was well backed up by Berret too, but they are a bit too similar so I guess it worked today as I’m sure the first objective was not to lose. Defence was decent and Macca delivered on his first objective - a clean sheet. Though they worked hard I am not sure what game plan we had for the 4 “offensive” players Jones, Matt, Dembele abd Woolford to get into and make a difference to the game. BTW Matt should not start ahead of Vernon from what I have seen and Cardwell should be given a start as he offers something different despite his age, oddly enough I thought Tombola would have caused them trouble today too.

So overall a fair result as neither side did enough to win the game.

Great to see the response Nathan Arnold got when he came off I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that since Super Clive destroyed us on that Friday night.

UTM!

Amond had a similar response after scoring two goals and was then substituted last season.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 145
essexexile
September 30, 2017, 8:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
If you've ever played in a decent team you give the ball to someone who can use it and you don't have centre halves taking throw-ins.
Hoofball is hope-ball, play it through the middle and you develop on the ball confidence which we as a football league club have always had but not now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 145
chaos33
September 30, 2017, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Several good points there.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 145
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.