This thread currently has 33,098 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
September 30, 2017, 4:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Started brightly and were on top for 15-20 mins without creating a clear chance. Score in that period and we would have been in with a shout. Rest of the half was poor from both sides. Second half better with both teams trying to get a goal which would have settled it. When Slade sent Rose on for Summerfield with 20 mins to go then he had obviously decided to settle for a draw. Also he and Wilko were telling them to slow it down and take their time. However we did create a few half chances, but a draw was fair. Collins and Summerfield (who looked dejected when taken off) were the pick of the players for me. Dixon and Woolford pose little threat on the left. Matt? The message from his brain to his feet takes too long! Vernon held the ball up better. Dembele again showed flashes of skill but nothing to show for it. Jones worked hard but looks out of sorts. Pity we had not won on Tuesday as this would have been a better result. Lincoln were no better than town. Ref Boyeson did pretty well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 145
jonnyboy82
September 30, 2017, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Was Summerfield really that good ? I thought he did a good job but the words outstanding and unbelievable are just a bit ott imo.

He stood out more than Berrett because berrett was rather anonymous really.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 145
golfer
September 30, 2017, 4:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
So So predictable. We start off well for 10 mins. or so then the other team susses our tactics -game over - no instructions to change tactics at half time when clearly our attack didn't win a thing. No service from the wings. Dixon is obviously colour blind. Sommerfield shaded it for star man- hope he's not too badly injured.  A lot of effort all round.  Ref. not too bad. Don't think the gate figures were correct as stated earlier. I think the crowd support was pretty good actually with plenty of banter between fans. Think it's about time Slade changes his opinion of who   his favourite players are because some of them aren't the supporters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 145
Garth
September 30, 2017, 4:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Was Summerfield really that good ? I thought he did a good job but the words outstanding and unbelievable are just a bit ott imo.

Best game he`s had in a Town shirt, and then gets subbed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 145
mimma
September 30, 2017, 4:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Why can't you leave Summerfield alone?  He was head and shoulders above every other player on the pitch. What has he got to do for you to acknowledge he's done well?

Even when he has a really good game you still knock him.

It must be a Grimsby thing. Once a player is deemed not good enough then they automatically labelled rubbish no matter how well they played.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 145
Ahh Sole
September 30, 2017, 4:22pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You really don't like Berrett, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 145
Tommy
September 30, 2017, 4:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Really disappointed if I'm honest.

We started fairly well in the first 15 minutes but the rest of the half was just flat. Second half we never really had any sustained pressure in the final third or periods of possession.  Hence the atmosphere of the first 15 minutes completely fizzling out. The longer the second half went on it just seemed like both teams had settled for not losing the game.

The reason I'm disappointed is that Lincoln were just as bang-average as us and it wouldn't have taken much quality to win the game. But we just didn't attempt to play any football at any stage.

I don't mind us going longer at times to mix it up and pose them a different problem, but all we appear to want to do us lump it up to the strikers in the air. And we don't even do that with much thought. It ends up being a floated ball with no pace just dropping out of the sky leaving it 50-50 between our CF and their CB (who has time to get across and challenge) as to who wins the header.

Throw ins. My word, why do we not take a throw in by throwing it to someone's feet? So what if the man has a defender behind/beside him, just throw the ball to his feet or safe-side and it can always go straight back to the thrower if need be. But again, we just chuck it up in the air and hope a striker can win the header.

It's frustrating because I think if we tried to play some football, we've got some players who'd flourish and we'd get a lot more out of them. Dembele, Jones, Woodford, Vernon, DJ, Summerfield all want the ball to their feet and can play football when it's on the floor.

Performances like this aren't going to bring the floating fans back.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 145
carrot top
September 30, 2017, 4:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Garth

Best game he`s had in a Town shirt, and then gets subbed

He was our best player by a country mile. Bags of effort. He broke up a lot of their play then gets subbed. Baffled by Slades decision on that

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 145
ginnywings
September 30, 2017, 4:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
I think Lincoln stayed deep and compact for the first 20. Classic away tactic of blunting the initial thrust from the home side and shutting the crowd up. It was noticeable that after 15/20 mins, they pushed up 10 yards and started to control the game as the half wore on. It was fairly even second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 145
ginnywings
September 30, 2017, 4:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from carrot top

He was our best player by a country mile. Bags of effort. He broke up a lot of their play then gets subbed. Baffled by Slades decision on that

Clearly wanted a clean sheet more than a win. Tightened up the midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 145
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.