15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
October 1, 2017, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

Agreed, bizarre why Woolford was on corners after so many good ones from Berrett on Tuesday!

Because if he didnt take the corners he would have done absolutely zilch in terms of attacking play.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 145
Mrs Doyle
October 1, 2017, 9:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Berret whips in lot meaner corner imho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 145
Mariner_09
October 1, 2017, 9:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Like the ones that Collins and Clarke have already scored from this season, yes I agree he looks a completely different player to what he was last season and I think that’s mainly to do with being given a run in the side in his favoured position. He has no pace but is a good footballer who moves the ball efficiently and quickly and seems to be more combative this season as well.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 145
Maringer
October 1, 2017, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
A couple of points based on the comments here.

Firstly, let's not write Matt off after a handful of performances. He was certainly poor yesterday but his record shows he has done a good job at this level in the past. Sometimes, strikers just get totally dominated by defenders as he was yesterday but it's only the other week when he have the Yeovil defence a difficult time. We've seen much better players than Matt do absolutely nothing in certain games and he's only been here for five minutes, so let's give him a proper chance.

Secondly, Dixon. He had a tough game yesterday but it was against the right-winger who I reckon was Lincoln's quickest and most threatening player. He's not been the best for us as yet but let's not forget he was playing Championship football just a couple of seasons ago and made not far off a hundred appearances for Huddersfield at that level. He's certainly lacking a bit of pace (as are the rest of our defenders) but his record would indicate he ought to be capable enough at this level so hopefully he'll settle down soon. I think it looked a bit worse for Dixon yesterday because Woolford was poor for much of the game and didn't do enough defending to help out. The wingers certainly aren't sitting back to help the defenders out in quite the same way that they generally did under Hurst. Either way, he's certainly far from the worst full-back I've seen at the club in recent years, but that doesn't mean that we don't need him to improve.

Obviously, rather than individual performances, the biggest worry at the moment is that we're not looking like we have an effective shape or style of play. Set pieces were pretty much rubbish and we've got the usual conveyor belt of experienced and capable players coming in who suddenly seem completely unable to put a decent ball into the box. Lincoln were a good bit stronger than us in the air so just chipping the ball in again and again seemed a ridiculous idea as that gave them time to get lined up and win the challenges. If we're playing a sort of percentage game (as seems to be the case), we've just got to improve out set piece delivery. Thinking back to Slades' previous time in charge, we did tend to loft balls into the box (mainly Woodhouse), but let's not forget that we had two 6'7" defenders to stick in there back then! Clarke and Collins are relatively diminutive in comparison to so many of todays massive defenders so we need much better delivery. Also, McKeown should stop taking attacking set pieces right now. His kicking and clearances have improved over the years, but his set piece delivery is still rubbish and you just know he's going to punt the ball straight to their keeper if he takes a free-kick near the half way line. Near his own box, then fair enough because it's generally just going to be a whack upfield in any case, but he doesn't have the accuracy to do anything else.

I'd also say that there is little point in playing two wingers if you hardly ever get the ball to their feet. On Tuesday night in particular, Woolford barely touched the ball in the first half and I wouldn't necessarily put any of the blame for this on him - the ball just didn't go to him! Dembele needs to stay wider as well because he often drifts infield and, truth be told, our passing just isn't accurate enough to find a man in the middle with players around him.

I hope they slog their guts out on the training field this week because there is a lot of improvement required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 145
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2017, 10:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
To echo Mariner's comments on Matt. He played a blinder (in the second half at least) at Accy. A veritable 'beast' in the making.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 145
ginnywings
October 1, 2017, 10:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Matt was excellent when he first got into the side, but was all over the place yesterday. Let's hope it was a one off bad game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 145
GrimRob
October 1, 2017, 11:45pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner_09
Are you better of having a squad of 22 quality players rather than 29 where you’ve got 3 quality players, 12 average ones and 14 rubbish ones.

You are never going to get 100% quality players. A lot of the best players are quality partly because they have been overlooked by other clubs or we have taken a gamble on someone from a lower division. You are never going to get that lucky every time. But I agree and I'd rather bye fewer. I put a thread on a couple of weeks ago saying slade had got nearly as big a squad as MB. I don't see the point of having senior pros who hardly play.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 126 - 145
KingstonMariner
October 2, 2017, 12:42am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Except it's a long season and suspensions and injuries can quickly mount up especially in the new year. So to that extent a big squad of 'meh' players should at least allow you to be consistent and have cover on a like for like basis. In theory that should be mid 20s though not high 20s or 30. Smaller squads would mean more chance of replacements being played out of position.

I genuinely don't know the answer, but what's better a good square peg in a round hole or a mediocre round peg in a round hole?

Personally speaking I would still marginally favour fewer higher quality players (especially if they were intelligent) than higher numbers of less good players. But I can see the other side. There's probably some risk modelling you could do around this (Rob that's probably your field isn't it?).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 145
Cloudy
October 2, 2017, 6:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Except it's a long season and suspensions and injuries can quickly mount up especially in the new year. So to that extent a big squad of 'meh' players should at least allow you to be consistent and have cover on a like for like basis. In theory that should be mid 20s though not high 20s or 30. Smaller squads would mean more chance of replacements being played out of position.

I genuinely don't know the answer, but what's better a good square peg in a round hole or a mediocre round peg in a round hole?

Personally speaking I would still marginally favour fewer higher quality players (especially if they were intelligent) than higher numbers of less good players. But I can see the other side. There's probably some risk modelling you could do around this (Rob that's probably your field isn't it?).

It is a direct result of the abolition of the emergency loan system that the squad size is bigger. Couple of bad injuries, a suspension or two and you are easily cut to the bone. Personally I would rather be relying on the occasional appearance of a Clifton, Sawyer or Wright ( had he not been loaned out) but understand managers reluctance to do so.

Agree with a couple of others that although Matt was poor and ineffective on Saturday he has been the opposite in other games. It was only a fortnight ago that most were saying how good he looked. Those at Accrington will know what he is capable of bringing to the side.

Dixon seemed to find the stand rather than the pitch in the first half on Saturday but his record indicates he is capable of much better. I was impressed with him at Chesterfield  ( very solid defensively) so maybe he needs a bit longer to settle down. Only time will tell
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 145
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2017, 8:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Similar to Vernon and Hooper if you give Matt the ball to his feet he's probably going to do better, when will we learn route 1 does us no favors?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 145
15 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.